• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD I.5+II.5 ReMIX |OT| Kingdom Hearts Final Port

Stuart444

The Absent Silhouette battles always struck me as being about forcing you to learn certain mechanics rather than being about a raw contest of stats. Nothing in vanilla KH2 really requires you to use Reflect or Guard even on Proud difficulty. Not saying it isn't annoying, but also, generally you don't want to fight any of the Absent Silhouettes as early as possible. I'd wait until after Demyx/1000 Heartless/et cetera and then you'll find it a good deal easier and have many more tools in your repertoire.

Maybe but that book attack with them all flying at you and stunlocking you in the air is still cheap :/

But yeah guess I'll come back later :(

Maybe but that book attack with them all flying at you and stunlocking you in the air is still cheap :/

But yeah guess I'll come back later :(

Air Dodge basically deflects anything coming at you in the air rather than going the pure i-frame route, if I recall correctly, and it's pretty excellent for getting you out of situations like that. Gotta make some story progress before you get it, though.

Luigi87

So on Kingdom Hearts 2, on normal difficulty, at level 19, I am trying to beat
Absent Zexion, the one in the underworld and it is such utter bullshit. Without reflect, I can have half or all of my health taken off when book world comes up (and if I mistime reflect, same thing happens - what's annoying is that when I think I have the timing down, he uses the move earlier or later than I expect so my reflect fails :( ) Then it seems like I have no way to defend against the books flying at me (the one they do during the early stages of the fight) since it can stunlock me in the air.

And of course trying to find him is annoying, as is using the command menu, finding the right unlock function while dealing with all the flying books. So frustrating, Even using the stunlock him with fire trick is annoying since one too many fires = no reflect for his book phase

Yeah yeah, I need to git gud but this fight is really unfair. Not like they even have that much health :/

The Absent Silhouette battles always struck me as being about forcing you to learn certain mechanics rather than being about a raw contest of stats. Nothing in vanilla KH2 really requires you to use Reflect or Guard even on Proud difficulty. Not saying it isn't annoying, but also, generally you don't want to fight any of the Absent Silhouettes as early as possible. I'd wait until after Demyx/1000 Heartless/et cetera and then you'll find it a good deal easier and have many more tools in your repertoire.

Exactly this, albeit this can be extended to nearly all bosses in 2FM.
The abilities and upgrades you get throughout the story are very beneficial.

This is also why that when people play Level 1 Critical Mode, Absent Silhouettes when they are unlocked are far more challenging to do than if they're fought at end game. Sora's stats are the same regardless, but he has more abilities + max HP of 60.

Stuart444

When do you get air dodge? and if it's based on what I chose at the beginning, I'm not sure which one decides my skills but I chose staff for the struggle weapon thing and I chose sword for the thing after that.

Exactly this, albeit this can be extended to nearly all bosses in 2FM.
The abilities and upgrades you get throughout the story are very beneficial.

This is also why that when people play Level 1 Critical Mode, Absent Silhouettes when they are unlocked are far more challenging to do than if they're fought at end game. Sora's stats are the same regardless, but he has more abilities + max HP of 60.

Yeah, this. The Bonus Levels (and the new Drive Forms and the abilities they get you) are a big, big deal. Same goes for new equipment.
When do you get air dodge? and if it's based on what I chose at the beginning, I'm not sure which one decides my skills but I chose staff for the struggle weapon thing and I chose sword for the thing after that.

It's the movement ability from Master Form, unlockable for regular Sora too. You'll get it after the point I mentioned (midgame Hollow Bastion events). It's unmissable and not related to your beginning-of-game choices.

Stuart444

Yeah, this. The Bonus Levels (and the new Drive Forms and the abilities they get you) are a big, big deal. Same goes for new equipment.

It's the movement ability from Master Form, unlockable for regular Sora too. You'll get it after the point I mentioned (midgame Hollow Bastion events). It's unmissable and not related to your beginning-of-game choices.

Okay thanks. Maybe I'll retry the boss again then (I'll probably keep retrying throughout the game until I beat it, lol).

So on Kingdom Hearts 2, on normal difficulty, at level 19, I am trying to beat
Absent Zexion, the one in the underworld and it is such utter bullshit. Without reflect, I can have half or all of my health taken off when book world comes up (and if I mistime reflect, same thing happens - what's annoying is that when I think I have the timing down, he uses the move earlier or later than I expect so my reflect fails :( ) Then it seems like I have no way to defend against the books flying at me (the one they do during the early stages of the fight) since it can stunlock me in the air.

And of course trying to find him is annoying, as is using the command menu, finding the right unlock function while dealing with all the flying books. So frustrating, Even using the stunlock him with fire trick is annoying since one too many fires = no reflect for his book phase

Yeah yeah, I need to git gud but this fight is really unfair. Not like they even have that much health :/
You can use a Limit as a last minute safety button if you can't get the spotlight part down. You're fully invincible during them.

It's best to bulldog him and not give him space to breathe. Sometimes you won't ever get your commands locked, sometimes you will. I beat him without that even being a thing, but that was also after 10+ attempts. Don't bother with Fire either, it's not worth it and it's a waste of MP.

FWIW I was low 20's when I beat him on proud, and even that was by the skin of my teeth (I got lucky with a critical and an early book release).

Oreiller

Haven't played the first KH in 10 years. I'm enjoying going through it a lot but some aspects of the game are rough.

Those two Ursula fights are so much worse than I remembered. They might be some of the worst boss fights I have encountered. They're not even that hard but they're so clunky and tedious...

Jblanks

Bought this a couple of days ago, had only played KH 1 + 2 before with the latter being one of my favourite games of all time. Glad to be playing these again. Tried playing KH:FM on Proud, and yea couldn't get past the big Heartless in Traverse Town, so had to start over lol.. proud mode is no joke. I don't care about trophies, so not a big deal.

Zimmy64

I think one of my favorite things about Kingdom Hearts which leads to its story complexity is that while many series have their own lore, which Kingdom Hearts certainly does, not many series have their own metaphysics. As a philosopher I find this incredibly interesting. You could write a whole dissertation on the the nature of the heart in KH, or darkness, or the connection between memories and the heart, and the heart and the body, what it really means to exist, etc. Take for example this question.

Is there a reason that Xehanort can coexist with his nobody (Xenmas), but Sora and Roxas cannot?
Is it because Xemnas is not really using Xehanort's body, he's using Terra's, but isn't the same true of Roxas. He's not really using Sora's body. He's using Ventus's. Does time travel explain it?

I think one of my favorite things about Kingdom Hearts which leads to its story complexity is that while many series have their own lore, which Kingdom Hearts certainly does, not many series have their own metaphysics. As a philosopher I find this incredibly interesting. You could write a whole dissertation on the the nature of the heart in KH, or darkness, or the connection between memories and the heart, and the heart and the body, what it really means to exist, etc. Take for example this question.

Is there a reason that Xehanort can coexist with his nobody (Xenmas), but Sora and Roxas cannot?
Is it because Xemnas is not really using Xehanort's body, he's using Terra's, but isn't the same true of Roxas. He's not really using Sora's body. He's using Ventus's. Does time travel explain it?

I think part of the reason is that Roxas held some of Sora's memories and power, so to have Roxas exist would be to put the worlds at risk

Zaverious

Like it was said above, Sora was weaker and couldn't wake up without Roxas' power and memories. Also Roxas is actually using Sora's body but looks like Ventus because he has Ventus' heart as the heart determines appearance in this universe. Kairi made a body for Sora when he became a heartless.

Time travel.

LAA

Should finally plat KH ReCOM today. Just 5 more levels to grind for Riku and I'm done and finally moving to KH2 (and maybe some more Persona 5)

13ruce

Banned
BBS, KH1 and KH2 are one of my all time favorites so i got the collection yesterday. Skipped the 2.8 one because i already own the meaty game of that collection on 3ds so i just watched the bonus aqua and forteller stuff on youtube.

Will try it tonight 60 fps bbs, KH1 and KH2 oh god plz hold me this is gonna be amazing....

Meowster

I can't believe I beat Xaldin on my first try on Critical.. never been able to do that before. He didn't even have enough time to use his special attack. Party members limit breaks really are far cheaper than I remember them being.

Finally beat KH1 on proud. God damn that was not fun at all, i felt the game was needlessly frustrating on proud. Are the rest of the games that bad on the highest difficulty?

Finally beat KH1 on proud. God damn that was not fun at all, i felt the game was needlessly frustrating on proud. Are the rest of the games that bad on the highest difficulty?

KH2 is much, much more fun on the highest difficulty than KH1 is.

I agree with you, I don't think KH1 proud is fun at all.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
That is good to know. Debating about skipping CoM and jumping right into KH2…

I love COM for what it does with the battle system but i also think its not for everybody, atleast watch a cutscene movie of RECOM before you go onto 2. RECOM is important plot wise

Been doing the item synthesis for KH1 and boy is it much more of a hassle than KH2's, I feel like the drop rate for items is a lot lower even with Lucky Strike on the whole party. Don't even get me started on some of these Final Mix heartless either.

Fj0823

I love COM for what it does with the battle system but i also think its not for everybody, atleast watch a cutscene movie of RECOM before you go onto 2. RECOM is important plot wise

Very important plotwise

Sora 's initial situation in 2 makes no sense without it

Meowster

I didn't expect Roxas to be taken down so easily on Critical..

Or maybe I've finally just gotten good at this game after a decade of playing.

Meowster

Just beat it on critical at lvl 60, the bosses after him are a cake walk.
No joke. I just plowed through all of the bosses and am at the final save point.

Paul St. Peter's deliciously over the top performance as Xemnas is one of my favorite voice overs ever lmao.

No joke. I just plowed through all of the bosses and am at the final save point.

Paul St. Peter's deliciously over the top performance as Xemnas is one of my favorite voice overs ever lmao.

Oh god, Paul St. Peter was put to such good use in KH2.

I still can hear some of his lines from his end game fight.

"Embrace nothing" and "We shall go together" stand out, in particular

Stuart444

KH2 beast castle part 2 boss:

xaldin is a fucking cheap boss. It's impossible to use the reaction command without getting hurt. Also that move where lightning comes down at you just hurts and killed me very quickly.
This is again on standard. I read a guide that says these moves are easy to dodge and I'm just like "no they fucking arent"

Yeah i know I'm whining but this boss is just plain cheap. :/ Seriously, you can't attack him without getting hurt. You can't be close to him (needed for the reaction command) without getting hurt. Pure utter bullshit

Ive played BBS on PSP and PS3 and now I'm playing it on PS4 and I'm always taken aback by how empty and lifeless all the areas are. Not just the missing people in towns, but plants and structures. It really makes you realize how adding little details like rocks or shrubs matters to make an area seem more alive.
It's so weird, especially coming off KH2.

But it's obviously a limitation of it being a PSP game and if anything it's impressive what they did accomplish. Still, I wish they had brought it up to par with KH2 in some way.
Not a complete remake, but just a few enhancements.

LycanXIII

Watching the Days "movie," I never finished the game on the 3DS, but I'm disappointed that they didn't
turn the final fight into a cutscene. If someone didn't play it, or look it up, they wouldn't know that Xion has multiple forms.

I need some help. How the hell do I beat the
Giant Ursula
?

Her health is soooo high and her moves are enacted really quick. I tried listening for the audio cues but got impatient. Is there anyway to cheese this fight?

100% agree its important. I tried to play the game, and it totally wasn't for me. I did watch a whole Youtube video about reCOM, and jesus I found the whole plot to be interesting. I could do nothing but smile as I played the intro to KH2, because it makes so much more sense now.

Vashetti

Banned
My gear

Ultima Weapon

Ribbon
Ribbon
Ribbon
Grand Ribbon

Full Bloom+
Full Bloom+
Full Bloom+
Full Bloom+

MP regen speed is insane lol

Chitown B

Giant Ursula
?

Her health is soooo high and her moves are enacted really quick. I tried listening for the audio cues but got impatient. Is there anyway to cheese this fight?

just hang behind her head and keep hitting her and healing.

Meowster

Finally beat Kingdom Hearts II.. this ending cinematic is just too much. All of the great dialogue between Riku and Sora just moments before, the three of them finally reuniting, the greatest song of all time (Sanctuary ~After the Battle~) while it is happening, Roxas and Naminé showing up. The first Kingdom Hearts just can't compare.

"We're back!"

"You're home."

LycanXIII

Giant Ursula
?

Highest Aero you can get and don't lock on.

Giant Ursula
?

I'm playing through for the first time myself, and just beat this fight on my second attempt a few minutes ago. I think I mostly got lucky, used up pretty much all of my healing items and did a lot of spamming Thunder. Besides that I tried my best to stay behind her, but that's tough cause I felt like I could only get one combo in before she turned around. And use the sprint swim ability to get away from her when she tries to suck you in. I also cast Stop on her a few times, it did work but I wasn't sure if it was a waste of MP or not. It was definitely a pain in the ass, mostly due to the swimming controls.

Top Bottom