• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts III: Nomura Clarifies Statement on Possibility of a Switch Port

Tank Jr.

Neo Member
PC is more of a possibility but even that is very low chance considering there hasnt been a KH game released (mainly due to Disney being against digital copies of the game right I think?).

There's already several Disney games on Steam. And the KH rereleases are available digitally on PS4.

I'm betting once KH3 is out, Square will hype up the PC crowd by releasing the rereleases on PC.

Ha is this a joke? The original PS3 versions of KH1.5 and 2.5 could work on Switch, nothing else.

UE4 runs just fine on Switch. Yes it would be a downgrade compared to the PS4 version (no shit) but I don't see why the Switch couldn't handle it if they actually wanted to?

But they won't obviously lol

There's already several Disney games on Steam. And the KH rereleases are available digitally on PS4.

I'm betting once KH3 is out, Square will hype up the PC crowd by releasing the rereleases on PC.

Given they didn't bother with them on Xbox, I'm not honestly sure they will. A switch port of the remakes and pc versions of everything is a nice thought though (and more feasible for the switch part than 2.8/3)

DVCY201

The bigger news is that the HD collection and 0.2 aren't coming to Xbox One ever it seems because of "timing". That's unfortunate for users.

The bigger news is that the HD collection and 0.2 aren't coming to Xbox One ever it seems because of "timing". That's unfortunate for users.
Yeah, that's kind of baffling, seeing as this will be the first Kingdom Hearts on an Xbox console. You would think the Xbox One of all systems would have gotten the ports and remasters of previous Kingdom Hearts games to get them up to speed with the franchise

They committed to early for the XB1, i still think the audience is small for JP games on Xbox. Probably a waste of resources imo.

Because Switch has become the platform of choice for many owners. The flexibility of playing on console or on the go is huge.

While true, it isn't a powerhouse to make it easy to port. A lot of compromises need to be made to port it plus it's SE and they expect outrageous sales.

Yeah, that's kind of baffling, seeing as this will be the first Kingdom Hearts on an Xbox console. You would think the Xbox One of all systems would have gotten the ports and remasters of previous Kingdom Hearts games to get them up to speed with the franchise

I'm sure Square-Enix did the cost/benefit math on porting the remasters over vs. just doing a simple port of KH3 (because the unreal engine will handle a lot of the compatibility issues on its own) and found that the latter approach was more sensible from their perspective. Agreed that it'd be a good thing for XB1 owners to have access to those and it'd be a nice thing for Squeenix to do, but I'm sure they had sensible business reasons for not doing it.

I'm sure Square-Enix did the cost/benefit math on porting the remasters over vs. just doing a simple port of KH3 (because the unreal engine will handle a lot of the compatibility issues on its own) and found that the latter approach was more sensible from their perspective. Agreed that it'd be a good thing for XB1 owners to have access to those and it'd be a nice thing for Squeenix to do, but I'm sure they had sensible business reasons for not doing it.
But wouldn't the HD remaster being on the PS4 already kind of trivialize a lot of the difficulty in bringing them over to the XB1? Not to mention, I can see a lot of Xbox owners that may be interested in KH3 just skipping it as they'd be so far out of the loop with regards to what's going on. I'm sure they have valid business reasons for not bringing then over but I get the feeling their decision is gonna do more harm than good for the XB1 version

Dremorak

Banned
You can get any game running on switch if you are willing to make the sacrifices in visual fidelity. And from what we've seen/heard, unreal is pretty good about porting to switch.

Its just a matter of if they are willing to reduce the overall visual quality.

BigEmil

KH 2.8 struggled to run on standard PS4 at 900p and 30fps dropped a few times too so i can see why, KH3 pretty demanding we'll see how well they optimised it further

UE4 runs just fine on Switch. Yes it would be a downgrade compared to the PS4 version (no shit) but I don't see why the Switch couldn't handle it if they actually wanted to?

But they won't obviously lol
there is far more to a game running on a system than just the engine running...there is far more to a game running on a system than purely graphical capabilities...

Azuran

Banned

Kingdom Hearts 3 wouldn't even be on Xbox if they knew in advance how the console race would have gone this gen.The only reason they announced for Xbox was to cover themselves just in case.

The fact that they didn't even bother releasing the compilation leading up to directly to KH3 says it all.

MAtgS

KH 2.8 struggled to run on standard PS4 at 900p and 30fps dropped a few times too so i can see why, KH3 pretty demanding we'll see how well they optimised it further
Snake Pass was 864p on base PS4. People were still satisfied with the Switch version.

Bl@de

To be honest ... I fully expect a Steam release 1-2 years after the console release. Typical modern Square Enix strategy

Kingdom Hearts 3 wouldn't even be on Xbox if they knew in advance how the console race would have gone this gen.The only reason they announced for Xbox was to cover themselves just in case.

The fact that they didn't even bother releasing the compilation leading up to directly to KH3 says it all.
True, I don't disagree with that but it does kind of seem like they're sending the XB1 version to die when they could be doing at least a little bit more

Why do Nintendo fans love to port beg so much?

Because of the state of Nintendo consoles generally speaking seem to get fewer guaranteed ports from third party developers than the other two of the big three or PC. I'm sure you'd see plenty of port begging from Sony/Microsoft fans if the Playstation/Xbox found itself in a similar situation.

Anyone expecting KHIII on Switch is probably not thinking too straight though.

BasilZero

I'd say the chances are fairly high.
First, this hasnt prevented from KH3 coming to Xbox One.
Second, their stance on digital has changed.
More importantly, Nier Automata has sold over 500k on Steam. Considering KH3 is on UE4, a port is trivial and the sales would likely be there.

I hope so.

I dont mind quad dipping it :p

Top Bottom