• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts III: Nomura Clarifies Statement on Possibility of a Switch Port

ookami

Pretty much.

Downgraded.
This. But still beautiful I'd say. Unreal Engine should scale pretty well on Switch since the 4.16... But I guess you would still need a lot of tweaking to keep the graphics and arts at great standard.
Can't wait for them announcing a PC version.

LewieP

I don't really understand why publishers aren't capable of communicating platform plans for games in a clear and concise manner.

gtj1092

On gaf sure, but the wiiu was a bomba so it just seemed like die hards begging for content. Switch is a bigger hit then anyone really expected at this point and I imagine stock holders are probably gonna start asking developers behind close doors "...why aren't we putting more games on switch?". This will be especially true of publishes/developers who made significant money off of the ds/3ds/psp/vita.

How many major 3rd party games did 3DS get? The switch is a successful Nintendo handheld like all the rest before it.

BasilZero

PC is more of a possibility but even that is very low chance considering there hasnt been a KH game released (mainly due to Disney being against digital copies of the game right I think?).

Hopefully that changed since KH 1.5+2.5 and KH 2.8 are available digitally on PS4.

PC is more of a possibility but even that is very low chance considering there hasnt been a KH game released (mainly due to Disney being against digital copies of the game right I think?).

Hopefully that changed since KH 1.5+2.5 and KH 2.8 are available digitally on PS4.

I'd say the chances are fairly high.
First, this hasnt prevented from KH3 coming to Xbox One.
Second, their stance on digital has changed.
More importantly, Nier Automata has sold over 500k on Steam. Considering KH3 is on UE4, a port is trivial and the sales would likely be there.

PC port seems possible.

Switch port seems less so considering how much things would be pared back. I'm not sure they'd want to undermine the visual integrity of the game to such a degree. Surely it could happen -- Borderlands 2 ran on the Vita, but it wasn't a particularly elegant solution.

NSESN

It will all depend of how easy the port will be. I doubt they care about visual downgrades when they can just sell it on portable factor.

His clarification comes from translation issues.

He was translated to English for IGN's interview, then that was retranslated to Japanese.

This was originally in Japanese and translated back to English so we can understand, so yes it's probably going to read the same to us.

PC port seems possible.

Switch port seems less so considering how much things would be pared back. I'm not sure they'd want to undermine the visual integrity of the game to such a degree. Surely it could happen -- Borderlands 2 ran on the Vita, but it wasn't a particularly elegant solution.
Only the Switch is more capable compared to the current gen twins than the Vita was compared to the last gen twins...
Borderlands 2 didn't even run at the max frequencies the Vita supports, and homebrew overclock tools (That only make it run at the higher Sony-approved frequencies, much like the New 3DS overclocks) improve the game significantly.

Why do Nintendo fans love to port beg so much?
Should no one ever ask for games to come to the Switch or something? Honestly confused with this comment, especially since fan demand has sometimes actually lead to results. Not saying it'll happen with the Switch for KH III nor am I honestly expecting it but it does show that there's at least interest there and that people want games. Not to mention that it's a Nintendo handheld so at least Japanese third party games do have an audience here

WaterAstro

They would literally need to remake the game's graphics, and that would take way too much money, so the possibility is one thousandth of a percent to zero.

It seems pretty silly to interpret the original statement as anything more than a generic PR non-answer. Devs always say things like that and it never means anything concrete.

The real question is why we bother having a rule about port begging here when it's not enforced :p
Maybe I just don't know the line where it becomes port begging.

The line is when you derail a thread with port begging.

Going to a game thread about new trailer and say "meh, shit platform choice, pls come to my favorite one" is port begging. Discussing port in a thread about potential port isnt port begging.

c0de

People want games on their system. And variety.
Of course you have die hards only interested in Nintendo's offerings but I think some just grew to that attitude.
Some people know ports are hard due to technical reasons so they hope to get some games although it seems unrealistic.
In my opinion there is nothing wrong with it unless people make the difference from switch to anything else smaller than it actually is or try to argue how easy it is to port games over.

FinalAres

Well, to be frank, look at the Wii. The gap between Wii and 360 is way, way larger than Switch and Xbox One, and while the CoD ports run at a much lower resolution, with much lower quality textures and lower quality models still held up pretty nicely and some people preferred the Wii versions thanks to motion controls. I feel like the Switch is in the same situation, where people will take lower quality versions of the games for portability. (Not talking about the hardcore gamerz in this forum that only play in front of their 100" TV)
I will be perfectly honest and say I've not played those games. I'd assumed the COD ports were compromised in more ways than just graphics, but fair enough.

I don't really Think SE are the kind of company to release significantly graphically downgraded versions of their premier titles, but we're talking about what's possible, not what's likely to happen so again. Fair enough.

I think kh3 could happen on switch sometime in the future. The audience is there and they'd have to scale back a bit but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Eh, it happens with any platform people are anxious about. GAF's even got a pretty loud PS Vita community that asks for anything and everything to get a Vita port. It's pretty entertaining.

Expect it to quiet down once the Switch has been on the market for a year - it's set up to have a perfectly healthy ecosystem once the 3DS is retired. There's no special chemistry between Nintendo platforms and the KH franchise that makes them an especially good match for each other unless you're both doubling down on the harmful (imo) stereotype that nintendo platforms are for kids(tm) and also engaging in the deeply incorrect belief that Kingdom Hearts is a franchise people can just safely jump into with any entry (good lord no, even though it probably *ought* to be that way).

This is the only acceptable KH3 thread to port beg in since it's about ports in the first place. However, port begging in the Toy Story trailer thread for example wouldn't fly. Or at least it shouldn't.

Astral Dog

One question pls, how much does the remastwr of Kingdom Hearts holds up? Is it comparable to the slow hours of KH2 opening?

blah blah...

giphy.gif

Top Bottom