• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Roxas-Who will I eat ice cream with? (Spoilers)

If it seems like enough people care I was thinking about making threads describing a different KH characters and then before 3 comes out I could do one big thread that links all these different threads and brings it all together. Now onto the sad sad story of Roxas.

Let's start from the beginning, Roxas was born when Sora died in KH1 and became a heartless.
3517065_o.gif

Whenever a person with a strong heart dies he becomes a heartless and a nobody and Roxas was Sora's nobody and since he was Sora's nobody that meant he was able to wield the keyblade.

KH 358/2 days
Roxas was recruited into Organization 13 where he met Axel and Xion.
aWjnXvQ.gif

Axel was in the organization longer than Roxas and Xion joined soon after Roxas did. Xion was not a normal nobody, she was created as a replica of Roxas. She later learns that she has a portion of Sora's memories inside her and Sora can't wake up until they are returned. Axel tracks down Xion and this leads to one of my favorite cutscenes in the series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtTNp_0EsAw
Axel wins the fight and returns Xion to the organization. After Xion approaches Roxas and when she removes her hood she looks like Sora because his memories are taking over her. She forces Roxas to fight her and Roxas is forced to kill one of his best friends. As he holds her in his arms and she's slowly dying he starts losing all his memories of her and forgetting who she is. After this Roxas leaves the organization and Axel behind.

KH2
We start KH2 playing as Roxas. Roxas has lost all his memory of what happened in KH 358/2 days and he has a new group of friends, Hayner Pence and Olette.
caption-530255-20080108210330.jpg

Things are not as they seem however, this world is not real and is actually just a program. After Roxas left the organization Roxas fought Riku and lost and he was taken to this program. Why did Riku fight Roxas? Without Roxas Riku's best friend Sora can't awaken.

Roxas and his friends start doing normal summer time events in the program when things start getting strange. A nobody appears and Roxas accidentally summons the keyblade and defeats it. Roxas starts realizing something is wrong and then his former best friend Axel appears to bring Roxas back to the organization, but Roxas doesn't remember Axel at all. A strange man named Diz (aka Ansem the wise) also appears. Diz wants to return Roxas to Sora so Sora can wake up but Axel wants to return Roxas to the organization. Both try to convince Roxas to go with them but all Roxas wants to do is return to this fake life with his friends Hayner, Pence and Olette that he thinks is real.

Eventually Roxas meets Namine and she explains how he and Axel are best friends and how he has to return to Sora for him to wake up. The next day Axel appears and tells Roxas if he doesn't go with him then he has to destroy him. Roxas runs away from Axel and eventually enters this mysterious mansion. In the mansion Roxas gets flashbacks about his past life with Axel. Roxas enters the basement and enters a boss fight with Axel.
tumblr_o0vw02r5Yp1sbqrlmo6_400.gif

Roxas beats Axel and enters the next room where he sees Diz with this huge chamber behind him.
latest

Diz mocks Roxas and calls him a tool to antagonize him. Roxas goes to attack Diz but realizes it is just a projection. Diz keeps egging Roxas on, getting him closer to the chamber. Eventually Roxas gets close enough and the chamber opens, Roxas sees Sora and knows this is the end for him with the line "looks like my summer vacation is over..." It's a very powerful scene and I recommend watching it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTKcbSZrGdc
The scene shows Roxas's desire to stay who he is despite everyone else telling him he has to become apart of Sora. At the end Roxas does return to Sora, but that does not mean he is gone. He is alive and remains like a prisoner in Sora's heart.

Kingdom Hearts DDD
I wanna mainly talk about one cutscene in DDD that features Roxas, I want people to watch it before reading further.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCnzBWRbr0E
When Roxas says "this could have been the other way around" it's just heartbreaking. Showing how much he hates being stuck inside Sora's heart, he wants to be the one that has free will. Then he says "But it really has to be you." and looks down with a sad look on his face. Showing he's accepted his fate, as opposed to how he was in the beginning of KH2.

Also I want to give a mention to Roxas's theme, one of my favorites in the series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T81VosqjBzc&t=598s

Share your thoughts on Roxas, do you love him? Hate him? Confuse him with Ventus?

Kas

I love Roxas. He was one of my favorite video game characters growing up, and that was without playing CoM or KH1.

His journey was incredible, at least in 2. It was him slowly realizing that everything around him was a lie, and it got to him. I always get anxious when I play the opening again, especially with the Axel fight and the very end with Mansion

I really dig Roxas over Sora. Playing with him at the beginning of KH2 was cool.

But I prefer Sora's KH2 design more than Roxas' though.

oti

Banned
I ain't got nothing against them Nobodies but the KH2 opening was terrible so I dislike Roxas with a passion.

And this is why I love Roxas and Sora.

Roxas fell into despair from his personal pain.

Sora, however, is probably the only one in the series bar fucking Aqua and Mickey that has learned that you can grow and learn from loss, and it can make you stronger if you just keep holding them in your heart.

hqdefault.jpg

Sometimes literally, in Sora's Case.

Kule

Let's start from the beginning, Roxas was born when Sora died in KH1 and became a heartless.

Pretty sure in birth by sleep you find out that Ven put the last of his heart inside sora during the KH1 opening which then becomes Roxas. Ven sleeps and Roxas is born.

Been awhile since I played though.

Pretty sure in birth by sleep you find out that Ven put the last of his heart inside sora during the KH1 opening which then becomes Roxas. Ven sleeps and Roxas is born.

Been awhile since I played though.

That's the reason Roxas and Ventus look alike, cause Sora's and Ventus's hearts were connected. Roxas is a nobody, the only way a nobody can be born is for a person with a strong heart to die.

Seeing Roxas struggle with the reality that his entire life in KH2 was a lie and all it crumbling down was great. It was divisive, but I liked it.

Sure I can do Ventus, I just don't wanna do Sora lol. I can only imagine how long that's gonna be.

To me, the GIF you posted of Sora sacrificing himself with a smile is all that I really need to know of Sora. From a lore-standpoint, Sora has a ton of baggage and legacy that ultimately forces him into a situation where he's not the "chosen one", so to speak, but at the core of it, he's a damn great hero character.

Dee Dee

Eyes glazed over trying to read and understand this story that is kingdom hearts. Haha

Same here, but kudos to OP for the rundown on the character which was very readable and clear.
Looking forward to the other character backstory threads!

Wezzulus

Neo Member
He stabbed himself with Riku's sword in KH1, the soul eater (don't know if its technically a keyblade) which was used to extract people's hearts.

Yeah exactly, so he didn't die. He just lost his heart. Remember that a heart in Kingdom Hearts is equal to your spirit, not your actual heart. So Sora was still alive, just as a heartless and as Roxas kinda.

Nohar

Roxas and Ventus are two different characters, and I am curious to see how Roxas will be saved (as he reunited with Sora, along with Xion). Ven will be awakened once his heart rejoins with his body, that's a given, but I am unsure if Roxas and Xion will be able to gain a body and live outside of Sora. Those two characters are tragic, and deserve to have a body and a life of their own.

That being said: Sora is a Lich. His own heart is a fuckin' phylactery, which has contained a lot of characters (including Ventus, Kairi, Roxas and Xion).

Xliskin

The question that confuses me the most if Ventus and Roxas not related to each other so why they looks identical ?!!

He stabbed himself with Riku's sword in KH1, the soul eater (don't know if its technically a keyblade) which was used to extract people's hearts.

There is soundtrack plays in that moment I want it I remember it was soo awesome

why would you do that.
I don't remember, I just played that one first.

And yes I pretty much understood everything, the only things that bothered me was the fact half the organization was missing with no explanation, same with Sora being in a pod and Namine.

All the CoM stuff essentially, I understood the gist of KH1 with the flashbacks and context clues.

sappyday

I will always claim that not only is Roxas a deep character and well grounded character (especially in comparison to his counterpart), but that KH2's intro is the best intro/tutorial to any game ever.

sappyday

Also I want to throw out there that Jesse McCartney does a great job voicing him and Ventus. Probably the best celebrity VA in the game besides Billy Zane's short role in the first one.

there's no way you could understand anything since nothing makes sense.
People really over exaggerate that series not making sense, it gets very convoluted but it's all there, really it's more that I'm used to that kind of stuff. KH ranks very low on the mind fuck stuff I've played/read.

I wouldn't say I have a strong affinity for Roxas as an individual, but I do seem to love the way they use him in the games. I'm the one guy who loves the way KH2 begins. And while I never played 358/2 Days when it first came out, I've watched the remaster version of it a couple of times and the ending really gets to me for some reason. Like, I don't take a lot of the Kingdom Hearts plot very seriously and for the most part I've been a lapsed fan since I beat 2, but something about Roxas' tale hits home in a way most video game stories don't.

NullKaze

there's no way you could understand anything since nothing makes sense.
One who knows nothing can understand nothing.

In all seriousness, KH is easy to understand. People just fail to suspend their disbelief in a Disney x FF series, for some strange reason. Just accept a few basic premises and it's perfectly understandable.

jett

D-Member
The KH2 intro was supposed to be the matrix? I don't remember that.

OP, you didn't explain why Roxas looks exactly like Ventus.

There's this scene in KH2 where Sora's leaves the fake town and Roxas's friends, but before he leaves he shares a tear and doesn't understand why but he feels sad. Really touching moment.

Kule

People really over exaggerate that series not making sense, it gets very convoluted but it's all there, really it's more that I'm used to that kind of stuff. KH ranks very low on the mind fuck stuff I've played/read.

This. The game might seem confusing if you skipped entries or didn't pay attention but it has it's own internal logic and at the end of DDD most plot lines were wrapped up.

One of the problems I see many people struggle with trying to understand KH is that they're trying to understand all the underlying character arcs and the main plotline at the same time.

The fact that several characters has several different identities or shifting pivots in their character matters only in specific arcs. The concept of "Master Xehanort" didn't even exist as a story element that needs to be considered until Birth by Sleep.

It's not all that different from MGS. To understand the core MGS story, you don't really need to know that Ocelot has this rich, deep backstory to him, but just the rationale of why he's there in the different arcs across different games.

The elements of the intertwined character arcs are relevant in the respective stories in the respective games, which isn't always something that carries over as a necessary plot point in future games.

I'd rather eat ice cream all on my bloody own at this rate. Seriously. Make sora lose everything! Every. Little. Thing. And then he munches on some salty ice cream. Do it.

Kouriozan

I like Roxas, poor guy had to suffer through a lot, really waiting for his happy ending in KH 3 (hopefully)
I like Roxas fine and they will ruin his arc completely by bringing him back. Same for Xion.

Well all those secret endings/messages/etc basically say that Sora has to save everyone, so yeah, even in the latest game (3D)

Top Bottom