• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Roxas-Who will I eat ice cream with? (Spoilers)

Well it's been 10 years! I remember little about the game. :p Can't you come back to that town as Sora tho?
With Sora you wake up in the real version of that town. You only get a very brief moment at the Matrix town with Sora at near the end of the game.

Cryxok

Roxas to me was "the right character at the right time". 358/2 Days was the first KH game I played. Now I've played all of them and am eagerly awaiting for 3.

The game came to me during my angsty teenager days. I've always been introverted, and during that time, I thought having no friends nor emotions was "cool". Then, a game comes where the main character literally can't feel emotion... but wants to. Wants to understand all of these things. Wants to understand what a friend is. It truly made me appreciate every good thing I had and helped me open myself a little bit.

If there is one videogame series that has influenced my personality is this one right here. And I'm really grateful for that.

Opa-Pa

Damn, this brings back memories. I used to be really into KH back in the day and Roxas was my favorite, I loved the KH2 intro and how they used his character. And wow remembering that scene where Sora leages TT is sad.

I never finished something/something days, I think it was ugly and kinda bad? I just recall some war flashbacks in Agrabah, but really wanted to, I just wanted to uncover his full story but I guess the OP took care of that. I have no idea how I'd have reacted seeing Xion with Sora's face lol.

Seriously I'm way past SE's and especially Nomura's writing by this point, but I think this thread will make me revisit the series and finish all the games I haven't already... I'm not even excited about KH3 anymore but I need some closure (I'm fully aware we'll keep getting KH games until 2030, but still).

StoneFox

Well it's been 10 years! I remember little about the game. :p Can't you come back to that town as Sora tho?
It's not the same town.

The one during the tutorial is a virtual world created by DiZ. The one Sora visits is the real version that DiZ copied.

Moreover, it's said that Nobodies flock to Twilight Town for some reason, and I have a theory that Twilight Town is a "nobody" of Daybreak Town because of name theming, but I don't know if that has any proof. I like the theory though, since worlds have hearts and can lose them like people can.

What order should you play these in? The naming is seven shades of batshit crazy. 358/2? DDD? 2.5? II.8? eff me. I need a degree in number theory to understand this shit.

What order should you play these in? The naming is seven shades of batshit crazy. 358/2? DDD? 2.5? II.8? eff me. I need a degree in number theory to understand this shit.
Do ya really now?.

Ps4 kh1.5+2.5 collection(kingdom hearts 1, Kingdom hearts chain of memories,kh 358/2 days, Kingdom hearts 2, kingdom hearts birth by sleep, Kingdom hearts coded) all in that order two are movies

Ps4 kh2.8(kingdom hearts dream drop distance, kingdom hearts 0.2, kh back cover)

Ps4 kh3.

15 years so naturally it's alot of games

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
One of my favorite video game characters. I love how his story has a tragic ending no matter how you cut it.

-Has a heart, unlike other nobodies, but still functions as essentially a broken piece of somebody else so is denied being his own person
-If forced to work for an evil organization
-Actually gets the normal life he wants, but only for one week and it's fake
-Other nobodies return to their true forms when they die, but Roxas just returns to Sora

I liked the intro to KH2 a lot. A lot of that had to do with unraveling the mystery of Roxas and why we were even playing as him to begin with. I understand why people are upset with how slow it is, though.

Love Roxas. I always liked how he was kind of an asshole. He went through a lot of crap and he was justifiably angry about his circumstances. He's also got one of the best voices in the English dub!

One of my favorite video game characters. I love how his story has a tragic ending no matter how you cut it.

-Has a heart, unlike other nobodies, but still functions as essentially a broken piece of somebody else so is denied being his own person
-If forced to work for an evil organization
-Actually gets the normal life he wants, but only for one week and it's fake
-Other nobodies return to their true forms when they die, but Roxas just returns to Sora

I liked the intro to KH2 a lot. A lot of that had to do with unraveling the mystery of Roxas and why we were even playing as him to begin with. I understand why people are upset with how slow it is, though.

Definitely the most punished character in the KH series imo, the next closest is probably Aqua.

Roxas was the worst part of KH2. He's the reason why I made a separate save file that starts after the tutorial so I could start playing KH2 without going through that horseshit again.

iosefe

i feel like Ven belongs in this conversation

the way i see it, Ven links with Sora as a child, and wha he goes catatonic, Sora reaches out. Ven's heart and being now rest within Sora until such time as it being released.

which happened when sora "killed" himself. tying in that Roxas actually had a heart, that heart is Ventus, so Roxas IS ventus with some influence of Sora.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Definitely the most punished character in the KH series imo, the next closest is probably Aqua.
I guess you could call him

Punished Sora

latest

The world calls for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause.

Psxphile

I like Roxas fine and they will ruin his arc completely by bringing him back. Same for Xion.

I hear you but I can't see them avoiding it. When you consider Axel was meant to die at the end of KH2's prologue but because the development crew liked his character so much Nomura decided against it (only to kill him later, lol)... well, the man is easily swayed is what I'm saying. And the fans will eat him alive if Roxas is thrown to the side.

Roxas got the short end of the stick. In the short time he existed he grew and developed his own personality separate from Ventus and Sora. Ventus gave his self to Sora and went to sleep willingly, Roxas didn't get a vote. Later he comes to understand how important it is for Sora to be whole again but it's made clear he wanted to continue living his new life.

Hard to do that though without a proper body of your own, he's been borrowing Sora's shell (with a Ven makeover) all this time. This is where Vexen's research on Replicas might come into play, but that's purely speculation on my part.

His story was complete in KH2. That they're trying to bring him and Xion back really takes away from the tragedy and sacrifices he made within the series.

By the end onf dream drop distance i really began to feel for roxas and he became my secon favorite character in the series. He really got the short end of the stick i really hope sora is able to free him from his heart so he can help int he final battle he deserves a happy ending. Im also very happy we are getting a Play Arts Kai figure of him in the organization outfit

Verelios

Honestly, Roxas was robbed. I can understand in hindsight how my frustration with KH2's prologue colored me on his character, my indifference to his existence for a chance at playing with Sora again and general malaise over his shitty friends annoying me with that fucking ice cream mantra over and over. But he was actually a good character with great personal motivations.

Fighting against him in KH2 when Sora pretty much went Gendo Ikari with 'Get in the body!' and not only was Roxas unwilling, he tenaciously clung to life made me introspect. On one hand, he's a part of Sora that belongs to him so I can understand Sora's perspective but on the other, he's a fully functional human being at this point with his own motivations and drive. Was it right to lock him up? I dunno. Probably not. That's an interesting point with the Organization XIII members, they're genuinely looking for a route to life and validation for being born. Except Xemnas, fuck him.

FC Bayern

I ain't got nothing against them Nobodies but the KH2 opening was terrible so I dislike Roxas with a passion.

This.

There could've been so many better and SHORTER ways to get the story across without creating one of the biggest forced tutorial/handholding areas in gaming.

It's the same reason I can't actually replay Twilight Princess, even though I remember the meat of the game to be quite enjoyable.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I ain't got nothing against them Nobodies but the KH2 opening was terrible so I dislike Roxas with a passion.
This, all I could do during the tutorial was hate Roxas and his shitty friends while I waited to play as Sora again.

Kouriozan

Anyway, Roxas will come back as his own person guaranted, because "major 3D spoiler"
Nobodies have hearts arter all, and Sora discovered it after Roxas showed him his own memories/emotions.
"You can't cry without an heart", like someone say in one of the games.

Azuran

Banned
Best character in the series. Anyone that hates the KH2 prologue has no soul and doesn't deserve to continue playing this series.

Everything about Roxas' story is fascinating and so tragic. To think he could have had a normal life is Xemnas of all people hadn't been the one to get to him first.

Also just like I said in the Ventus thread, Jesse McCartney is by far the best VA in this entire series. His permormance in 358/2 Days movie in 1.5 was nothing short than phenomenal. This scene with Axel has to be the highlight of them all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfTHthPScw4

He perfectly manage to encapsulate Roxas' anger, frustration, and sadness.

Sora died?

Sora died? What the fuck

No one dies in this series lol

Dying would require someone to lose their soul which obviously didn't happened to Sora. He only lost his body when he turned into a heartless.

The fight with him in 2 is absolutely epic, and i really like what he added to the game tbh.

Wonder if he'll get his happy ending in III... (though until II he really looked happy in the ending).

NullKaze

there's no way you could understand anything since nothing makes sense.

Anyway, Roxas will come back as his own person guaranted, because "major 3D spoiler"
Nobodies have hearts arter all, and Sora discovered it after Roxas showed him his own memories/emotions.
"You can't cry without an heart", like someone say in one of the games.
It's a little more nuanced than
Nobodies have a heart after all.
It's more like anything that interacts with other people has the capacity to grow (or regrow) a heart. This was foreshadowed back in KH1 with Pinocchio, the puppet that grew his own heart.

Roxas' case is slightly special in that he had Ven's heart all along, but Ven's heart only awoke with Xion's death, which is why he could wield two Keyblades.

No one dies in this series lol

Dying would require someone to lose their soul which obviously didn't happened to Sora. He only lost his body when he turned into a heartless.
Which is kind of one of my main pet peeves with Kingdom Hearts at this point. It kinda makes lines like "Looks like my summer vacation is over" when you know he's apparently somehow still kinda sorta alive in Sora's head/heart whatever anyway and keeps on showing up again. Yeah, he's not his own separate entity anymore, but nonetheless him and Xion (oh god, Xion. Little miss "My sacrifice is so great that not only will I disappear but everyone will cease to remember that I even existed!" ...Oh wait, not only did memories survive after all, but somehow she's still kicking herself in Sora's magical heart somehow, so nevermind. Can't be sad anyone! Everyone's alright after all!) are somehow still alive inside Sora in some form or another, so that kind of makes rewatching scenes like that fall flat and really lose a lot of the punch since them still being alive in any form undermines the impact of their sacrifices and resolve and it just screams that it's only a matter of time until Sora manages to use "the true power" of a χ-Blade and Kingdom Hearts or something to somehow manage to save them the same way he saved Kairi or at least opens up the possibility of some such nonsense happening eventually because there certainly doesn't seem to be much of a time-table or anything.

Sora can have his "power of friendship" scenes with Donald, Goofy, Mickey, Riku, and Kairi, and without people that should have fucking ceased to exist still dancing around in his head. I mean... is Axel doing the same thing to the reformed Lea right now? Will the reformed Master Xehanort have Ansem SoD and Xehanort (Nobody) trying to fight for control of his body, in addition to Terra since they were all very distinct entities just like Roxas? Sorry for getting a bit carried away, but that stuff just took scenes I liked and basically trampled all over their emotional weight just for the sake of stupid pet talks and stuff that Sora could have had without 'em so... yeah.

Top Bottom