• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KINGSGLAIVE: Final Fantasy XV Thread: Everything for the future king

Ydelnae

Could a mod update the title to show that movie is now available digitally, please?

I'm going to try and watch it tonight, I hope it delivers.

Minor question I had:
Is the serpent swimming around the aquarium at the party, Leviathan or a reference to him? He looked exactly like him

Voror

One thing I do wonder regarding
Knights of the Round is whether that might be a summon we get later or not in the game.

One would think though
I don't think he'd be able to summon statues unless they just incarnated themselves into them or something.

The most important thing is the function of said
ring
will be the same from movie to game. However, we have seen
the gods of the knight of the round in the dawn trailer

Voror

The most important thing is the function of said
ring
will be the same from movie to game. However, we have seen
the gods of the knight of the round in the dawn trailer

True, which makes me think
that empty portion of the Ascension grid will fill in once we obtain the ring. I'm expecting at least that we will have that little conference anyone that puts on the ring seems to have. What I don't get is the mention that Nyx will appear in the game. I'm not sure he'd qualify to become one of the Knights unless he's another voice like Regis.

Ketaya

Argh, why is the bonus material exclusive to iTunes in Germany...
I don't want to buy this on iTunes, that piece of shit software stutters constantly when playing movies on my PC. Why can't Amazon or Playstation Video or any other service have the bonus. mmmmhh

WarAdept

Watched it on the weekend.

If asked to describe it in one word, I'd call the experience "dull".

The story isn't particularly engaging due to some very strange cinematography (why is an entire scene constantly fading to black instead of doing hard cuts/crazy amount of cuts during action sequences), fairly uneven voice acting and just generally bad script/dialogue throughout.

Luna in particular is the worst, offering nothing but to spout rubbish about destiny and fate every time she opens her mouth, in even the most ridiculous of situations. Like this girl should be screaming her ass off in terror in some scenes, but she just sort of hangs there like a lifeless doll. I got some major Spirits Within flashbacks to the main lead of that film in which she should be crying or displaying more emotion but it's nothing more than a stifled reaction.

The monsters were a fairly heavy disconnect to me, especially the
Ultros
scene. White it's established right at the beginning that there are monsters in the world, everything else felt fairly grounded within the story of magic vs machine. I don't know if it's the way they were rendered or if it was just really odd to have monsters out of nowhere fight when the other side has super advanced tech and weaponry, it just felt a little strange to me whenever they popped up.

The fight choreography got super messy sometimes, to the point it was difficult to tell which way was up or down. The last 30 mins or so in particular was a mess of colours and motion blur. When was it established that multiple statues came to life? You saw one in the tunnel move and fight with Nyx, then several minutes later you realise that there's different statues also fighting.

Nyx himself was an okay protag. VO was good. Libertus however, I was not a fan of. I did not enjoy his VO or his dialogue at all.
Not-Garland/Gabranth had a cool design.

The animation and lighting was beautiful though. The palace interiors especially were lovely and the fairly grounded animation (despite going batshit insane at act 3) was wonderful to look at. There was a particular scene around the middle of the film that I did enjoy, with great cinematography to highlight the building tension between the two factions and snappy dialogue to compliment it. By far the best part of the film.

Someone asked me on Discord to rate the FF films. I'd probably do this:

Spirits Within < AC <= Kingsglaive.

I do feel Kingsglaive is the better movie than AC. However, I have no desire to watch it again anytime soon, due to how much of a slog it was to get through. AC, despite being hot garbage, was at least more fun and enjoyable in some segments that could warrant a rewatch.

True, which makes me think
that empty portion of the Ascension grid will fill in once we obtain the ring. I'm expecting at least that we will have that little conference anyone that puts on the ring seems to have. What I don't get is the mention that Nyx will appear in the game. I'm not sure he'd qualify to become one of the Knights unless he's another voice like Regis.

Well..
Nyx doesn't appear in the game he's a device plot for the audience. By that I mean his eyes are telling us what happened while Noctis and co are away

The only reason
the Knights of round granted him power was because he pretty much said " hey I don't give a shit about this power.. I just want to you know help the city that's being destroyed
lol I'm sure once Noctis gets it the bros will benefit too.

Voror

Well..
Nyx doesn't appear in the game he's a device plot for the audience. By that I mean his eyes are telling us what happened while Noctis and co are away

The only reason
the Knights of round granted him power was because he pretty much said " hey I don't give a shit about this power.. I just want to you know help the city that's being destroyed
lol I'm sure once Noctis gets it the bros will benefit too.

Wasn't there a line from comments made by Tabata about Nyx somehow being in the game? Trying to find it so I might have misread.

Oh, I got that part. I just expect we'll get the same sort of discussion with Noctis. And yeah, that makes sense and again makes me wonder if the second portion of the Ascension menu is abilities related to the ring that each of them take advantage of in different ways. Though that then makes me wonder if the time skip happens much sooner than we think depending on whether Noctis can access the ring's power before or after the timeskip.

ViciousDS

Banned
Wait, it's the movie only available in 720p on iTunes?

no its 4.67GB in 1080p according to the page and both are available. Problem is people need to actually turn the option to download videos by default in 1080p or it won't do it in itunes

TZ7nHpm.png

Astara

Neo Member
Watched it already. Can't wait until November. By the way, maybe I'm blind but
it is just me or Nomura is not in the credits? there are a lot of scenes which are actually from Versus XIII, and I think he designed Ardyn and Iedolas right?

Seeing Fumito Ueda was fun by the way, made me laugh

Watched it already. Can't wait until November. By the way, maybe I'm blind but
it is just me or Nomura is not in the credits? there are a lot of scenes which are actually from Versus XIII, and I think he designed Ardyn and Iedolas right?

Seeing Fumito Ueda was fun by the way, made me laugh

Ferrari did Adryn... Iedolas no idea who designed him.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Just saw it. Went in braced for mediocrity, but I thought it was amazing. The action was so good. The character story was a bit cliched I guess, but I thought it was done well. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'll happily watch it again when my bluray gets here.

After the credits
Was that just an in game CGI scene? Didn't seem to look as good as the rest of the movie and the lip sync was off. Assuming it's synced to Japanese.

Plot discussion
The reason the Kingsglaive turned traitor wasn't about loyalty. Or who invaded who. It was about who could offer a good life to their people. The seduction is "Lucis let us invade your homes, and then couldn't or wouldn't do anything about it. Under our rule you'd be protected. We're the big strong empire. We wouldn't let even the smallest of our towns be touched by enemies. Help us take down Lucis, who lets you live in poverty, and we'll have you live in comfort as imperial citizens."

To them, a king's a king. They're just the townsfolk.

Voror

Just saw it. Went in braced for mediocrity, but I thought it was amazing. The action was so good. The character story was a bit cliched I guess, but I thought it was done well. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'll happily watch it again when my bluray gets here.

After the credits
Was that just an in game CGI scene? Didn't seem to look as good as the rest of the movie and the lip sync was off. Assuming it's synced to Japanese.

Plot discussion
The reason the Kingsglaive turned traitor wasn't about loyalty. Or who invaded who. It was about who could offer a good life to their people. The seduction is "Lucis let us invade your homes, and then couldn't or wouldn't do anything about it. Under our rule you'd be protected. We're the big strong empire. We wouldn't let even the smallest of our towns be touched by enemies. Help us take down Lucis, who lets you live in poverty, and we'll have you live in comfort as imperial citizens."

To them, a king's a king. They're just the townsfolk.

Yeah it's an ingame cutscene and the lipsync was pretty bad.

Yeah, it became clear they turned due to thinking the Empire could give them a better life, though I honestly don't buy it. It also does have them not reflecting on how if the Empire wasn't the way it is then their homes wouldn't have been attacked in the first place. And what if Regis had not seceded the territory and fought to the bitter end? Same result in the end only with Insomnia probably fallen as well.

Phaezyk

Count me in as one who found the movie dull. It serves the audience well as the intro to Final Fantasy XV and I understand why they took the direction they did with this film but... it did not satisfy me. I'm glad it has its fans, though.

Still looking forward to the game~

Socivol

Yeah it's an ingame cutscene and the lipsync was pretty bad.

Yeah, it became clear they turned due to thinking the Empire could give them a better life, though I honestly don't buy it. It also does have them not reflecting on how if the Empire wasn't the way it is then their homes wouldn't have been attacked in the first place. And what if Regis had not seceded the territory and fought to the bitter end? Same result in the end only with Insomnia probably fallen as well.

The fact that everyone
blames the Regis for the things the empire does is baffling to me, especially Ravus. He was such trash in this movie I hope he dies off very early in the game.

Voror

The fact that everyone
blames the Regis for the things the empire does is baffling to me, especially Ravus. He was such trash in this movie I hope he dies off very early in the game.

I can kind of get it with the Glaives since they're blinded by a lot of things and have bought wholesale into what the Empire is selling from the look of it.

You're completely right about Ravus. He was a huge disappointment even though I realize he wasn't meant to have a large part to play. But in his first scene after the opening, Luna points out how dumb he's being about this. The only reasoning I can see is if he blames Regis for coming to them with his son in the first place which led to the attack. So he wants to kill Regis and probably destroy the Empire too.

Not sure what made him think he could use the ring.

I can kind of get it with the Glaives since they're blinded by a lot of things and have bought wholesale into what the Empire is selling from the look of it.

You're completely right about Ravus. He was a huge disappointment even though I realize he wasn't meant to have a large part to play. But in his first scene after the opening, Luna points out how dumb he's being about this. The only reasoning I can see is if he blames Regis for coming to them with his son in the first place which led to the attack. So he wants to kill Regis and probably destroy the Empire too.

He's a lap dog, her words.

MegaPanda

Wow, the editing during the early portions is terrible but they really picked it up later on. The finale is easily some of the most imaginative action I've ever seen. I'll definitely give it a re-watch when I get my blu-ray copy with the game.

Koozek

Just watched it. Yeah, that was fun. Wonky writing and voice acting at parts, and chaotic battle scenes, but not as terrible as GAF impressions made me expect (what a surprise). Watching the warping-around was super cool and the sound-effects were so satisfying.

The visuals and environments were stunningly beautiful. Many times you really wouldn't have been able to tell it from reality. Crazy how much work must have went into designing the beautiful city and its architecture - truly a marvel to behold. The clothes looked so good too, couldn't stop drooling (good material textures are my thing :D).

Luna was a bit, I don't know... uninteresting maybe. Nyx was cool as hell and Aaron Paul did a great job. In fact all three of the known VAs sounded fantastic. Sometimes the facial animations were off-sync and too overacted, yeah, but still highly impressive in general.

Not sure if the story is exciting enough or gives a satisfying closure for non-FFXV-fans, though. In the end it doesn't really stand on its own without the game following up. But I won't complain about a glorified intro FMV, of course :p

Nobody should expect a cinematic masterpiece and it's obviously not trying to be one. However, it's absolutely entertaining and a must-watch for FFXV fans.

I'm not sure if the above is FFXV game spoilers... Just in case, can we leave FFXV game spoilers out of the Kingsglaive thread, cause spoilers would get mixed up?

If you seen the game trailers there's nothing spoiler about what I said, If you're concerned about bogus leak rumors I have no idea about them or have read them. I just try to connect dots with e3 trailers and the movie.

Watch the uncovered trailer again once you done with the movie and you'll see.

Toth

Pretty much,
Regis showing up in Tenebrae led to his mother being killed right in front of him. I'm sure he hates the Empire with a passion but given that he is helpless to stop them and now stuck in their own employ (a position that he is benefiting from...), he rather just focus that hatred onto Regis. Plus, he seems rather power hungry and arrogant so wanting the ring for more power would be a no-brainer for him.

As for the Glaives,
Thinking back to it, you see the Glaives are tired of fighting an increasingly losing battle, bitter they have lost their homelands, and feel betrayed when Regis is ready to make peace with Niflheim despite all the Empire has done. I think they probably blamed Regis' weakness in protecting their lands in the first place as well. Plus, once they saw the power of the Diamond Weapon and were forced to retreat, I bet they were very willing to listen to the Empire's proposal that would benefit them. Might as well get something good out of a bad situation.

But here's a rather glaring omission from the movie:
Where is Gentiana? Why wasn't she the one worried about Luna at the palace instead of the random maid?

Squire

Banned
I thought it was alright, but alright is all it was.
Action is grandiose but not particularly creative (I didn't find it all that hard to follow).
World setting is hinted at but by no means gone into - the story basically can't stand on its own which I suppose is fine for a video game prologue movie but they could've at least not tiptoed around some things.

The music is garbage, should've just let Shimomura do it, the delusions of grandeur of "We're making a Hollywood movie... but with Final Fantasy XV in it!" weigh down the movie more than anything.

It's honestly kind of... unnecessary.

Oh yeah, Tenebrae is gorgeous, if we don't get to visit that in the game in great detail, they can delay it right now until we can - I gave up on hopes that we'd see Insomnia in the game besides the central plaza.

Koji, what are you doing here, you're in the wrong game

That's how most of their promotional plays strike me so far. Unecesarry and very flagrant; Just wasting millions of dollars.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I liked it. Let's give it a B. It was surprisingly competant in terms of dialogue (relative to what I was expecting) and the visuals were astounding.

It was a bit slow at times. I can't really say this is a real movie. It's definitely the backstory to a videogame and it's really a piece of supplemental content to get invested in the world.... But that's fine. That's what I want from it. It's for people who are going to play the game, and no one else.

Some of the editing was a bit jarring, but not nearly as bad as some of the posts in here hinted at. You can tell they created discrete sections and occasionally resorted to a simple fade to black between them, but within these sections (the bulk of the film), the editing felt quite deliberate.

The real issue with the film was that, for all its natural English dialogue, it could still be very cryptic with its plot developments. I sometimes had to infer what had just happened and I could imagine it going over people's heads. I also found Lunafreya's early movements bizzare.
So Regis sent a Kingsglaive to find her in Tenabrae, but she was brought to Insomnia instead... But then she was kidnapped? It seems like she moves around to first give her the initiative, then to have dialogue with king, then to serve as a damsel..?
It was a bit unfocused.

All in all I think it's a pretty fun supplement to XV and does that job well. I don't think its low RT score really reflects its objective quality, but rather the tendency of critics to reject what is basically the opening to a videogame they aren't planning to play.

S2G_Chris

Hey looky here, its my first ever Gaf post, hello everyone! :)

I saw the first 12 minutes on IGN and was really intrigued, i wanna give it a shot!
Where is my best bet for the highest quality version? Itunes 1080P version or PSN or what?

MogCakes

Waiting for it to release so I can watch. Considered going to see a theater showing again but it's too far and I'm too comfy right now. Is it known what time it releases?

Socivol

Pretty much,
Regis showing up in Tenebrae led to his mother being killed right in front of him. I'm sure he hates the Empire with a passion but given that he is helpless to stop them and now stuck in their own employ (a position that he is benefiting from...), he rather just focus that hatred onto Regis. Plus, he seems rather power hungry and arrogant so wanting the ring for more power would be a no-brainer for him.

As for the Glaives,
Thinking back to it, you see the Glaives are tired of fighting an increasingly losing battle, bitter they have lost their homelands, and feel betrayed when Regis is ready to make peace with Niflheim despite all the Empire has done. I think they probably blamed Regis' weakness in protecting their lands in the first place as well. Plus, once they saw the power of the Diamond Weapon and were forced to retreat, I bet they were very willing to listen to the Empire's proposal that would benefit them. Might as well get something good out of a bad situation.

But here's a rather glaring omission from the movie:
Where is Gentiana? Why wasn't she the one worried about Luna at the palace instead of the random maid?

I wondered the last part too since we
see her in Brotherhood so we know she has been around Luna since she was a child. Tabata also stated that she is her attendent but was nowhere to be found while she was supposed to be getting married.

jett

D-Member
I believe in you, jett.

So.

There are bad movies.

And then there are movies made by people that don't know how to make movies. Kingsglaive is just a complete mess to me. The editing is incomprehensible, not a single scene flows to the next one. The director abuses the use of fade-to-black time and time again to hide the fact that he has no fucking clue how to make a proper transition. Visually I had no fucking clue what was going on most of the time, attempting to follow the action is an effort in futility. It's shit. There's not much else to say. When it comes to direction, editing and composition this movie fails completely at everything it tries to do. It's the equivalent of giving a complete amateur a CGI studio and a few million dollars to make a movie. That's what it looks like.

The plot is half-baked nonsense if I'm being generous. Some people have said that despite recognizing its awfulness, Kingsglaive somehow makes them hype for the game. Man, it had the complete opposite effect on me. I hope this movie's "story" and "lore" isn't indicative of what to expect in FFXV. Oh and King Lucis is a massive asshole. Is this supposed to be a good guy? Not a single character worth anything, and voice acting was dreadful across the board.

Yeah, this was a huge waste of time for me and for everyone involved. I would rather have seen more Brotherhood episodes made with this money, those are actually fun.

Top Bottom