• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse: Japanese boxart

RagnarokX

Looks nice. Didn't both Japan and NA get angry Kirby for Triple Deluxe's boxart? Who knows, maybe we'll get the same art this time as well.

It's more like Kirby is made cute for Japan, though sometimes Japan gets tough, determined Kirby depending on the game; such as with Kirby Superstar and Kirby Triple Deluxe. This title might warrant cute Kirby in the US, though.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/why-is-kirby-always-angry-in-the-us-nintendo-explains/1100-6419263/

Can you make a version of this that has the E rating and no angry eyes?

O2CoVqH.png

TheMoon

I think this made me laugh the most :p When I first started seeing images of those logos on German covers I'm just like "why... why so big??" On Vita covers they take up 1/4 the whole thing!!

It's all thanks to the school shootings of the early 00s. The government freaked out, went on this whole "OMG VIDEO GAMES ARE TEH DEVIL" tirade and the ratings logos slowly started creeping from the BACK of the box to the front, then became bigger and then got redesigned to be slightly less of an eyesore while keeping their gigantic presence.

Let me illustrate this with some random Blizzard games.

This is a Starcraft reprint from 2001 or so. The USK rating is nowhere to be seen, what madness is this! Well yes, look. They were tiny. And they were ON THE BACK OF THE BOX! Almost like a fairytale.
FRONT
51Y3D3R1MKL.jpg

BACK
51GTR40F0VL.jpg

Here's a reprint from later on, same game. USK logo made its way to the front. Must be from 2003 or later.

Now I couldn't find a reprint of Starcraft from 2009 when they briefly had the giant version of the old logo on game boxes but let's just take WoW: Wrath of the Lich King:
28kgrhqjq4fdnb9kcetbrfgunh.jpg

Here's the first trio of WoW expansions, showing the size increase:
_12q1ulx.jpg

And here's the current Starcraft reprint. This is the one you buy today.
_12uguib.jpg

Like you said, it's especially bad with handheld games and their tiny boxes since the USK logos don't scale with the box lol.

Top Bottom