• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse |OT| players gonna clay clay clay clay clay

MouldyK

My Kirby time today started out on World 6-1...after failing the Challenge Room in the level like 20 times before I did it, then missing the Book by a pixel...THEN getting Silver, I got quite annoyed...

My stylus got poked through the stool I put my Wii U gamepad on...

11269739_10203345497312317_2000507374581323814_n.jpg

But now I have done all the game except the challenge missions, I feel ALOT better.

It helped that 6-2 had this amazing music, which I adore: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQurN1T35yU

jariw

Today, I tested to use a professional stylus (with a soft tip) for the Kirby game. It's still a 7/10 game to me, but the feeling was way better and much more accurate. Much easier to look at the screen instead of the Gamepad.

This is my favorite track in the game too and unfortunately, all the best music is in the first 2 worlds, in my opinion. Soundtrack gets progressively less impressive and just okay-ish the further you get. Was a bit disappointed by the OST, honestly. I think they should have allowed players to play music from the BGM test/unlock-screen for whichever stage upon completion.
It does seem like a bit of a waste for the many many musical unlockables to be soundtest only.
They could've taken a cue from Canvas Curse where one of the unlockables was the insertion of the Nightmare in Dreamland soundtrack replacing the standard one, they have enough remixes here to pull something similar off.
I'd agree the soundtrack kind of tapers off as it goes on the whole, I think I mostly prefer it to Triple Deluxe though.

Bonus points given here for remixing Big Forest.

illusionary

I started the game a couple of days and I'm enjoying it so far - it's nice to have a refreshingly different core mechanic.

I've 100%-ed the first two worlds so far, but one question - does anyone know of a list anywhere of the gold medal thresholds for each level?

jariw

I started the game a couple of days and I'm enjoying it so far - it's nice to have a refreshingly different core mechanic.

I've 100%-ed the first two worlds so far, but one question - does anyone know of a list anywhere of the gold medal thresholds for each level?

I don't know of any such list, but to me it seems like the thresholds are on even 100s. (I'm on 99% of the whole game now, and have 5 levels where I don't have the gold.) My impression is that the gold levels usually are on 400, 500, 700 and 1,000, but that's more like a guess.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.

I went ahead and checked my file for you. Obviously not exact numbers and many are very likely quite inflated, but should give you a general idea of what to aim for (just going to include the first two worlds for posterity):

1-1 957
1-2 922
1-3 685

2-1 572
2-2 1074
2-3 926

3-1 919
3-2 237
3-3 704

4-1 617
4-2 839
4-3 754

5-1 1096
5-2 594
5-3 730

6-1 769
6-2 936
6-3 585

7-1 837
7-2 522
7-3 612

Hope that helps.

illusionary

I don't know of any such list, but to me it seems like the thresholds are on even 100s. (I'm on 99% of the whole game now, and have 5 levels where I don't have the gold.) My impression is that the gold levels usually are on 400, 500, 700 and 1,000, but that's more like a guess.

Yeah, that does seem to be the case much of the time for me so far, agreed.

I went ahead and checked my file for you. Obviously not exact numbers and many are very likely quite inflated, but should give you a general idea of what to aim for (just going to include the first two worlds for posterity):

1-1 957
1-2 922
1-3 685

2-1 572
2-2 1074
2-3 926

3-1 919
3-2 237
3-3 704

4-1 617
4-2 839
4-3 754

5-1 1096
5-2 594
5-3 730

6-1 769
6-2 936
6-3 585

7-1 837
7-2 522
7-3 612

Hope that helps.
It does, very much - thank you!

PedroRVD

Finished this game on the weekend ... Without a doubt this will be on my list of most underrated games of the year.

Enjoyed it and... that secret diary is adorable.

I completed the first set of challenges and after an hour and a half, I don't know if I want to get 100% :(

Really good game and, for $40, it was better value for me than Captain Toad.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I have recently finished the game last week and I really enjoyed it and the music is god tier.

I currently have 99% on my file and I all need to do is challenge mode and unlock the final clay model.

But eh I can't be arse doing the challenge mode so I will take 99%.

Dryk

I completed the first set of challenges and after an hour and a half, I don't know if I want to get 100% :(
If you've already finished the game I'd say don't bother. I only made it to 100% because I went back and forth between Story, Challenge and replaying bosses whenever one of them started to piss me off. Those "Beat the World _ boss while taking no damage" requirements for challenges 41-47 are really annoying. Especially since the challenges they unlock aren't any harder than the other 41. The survival challenges flanking that block gave me a lot more trouble.

jariw

I have recently finished the game last week and I really enjoyed it and the music is god tier.

I currently have 99% on my file and I all need to do is challenge mode and unlock the final clay model.

But eh I can't be arse doing the challenge mode so I will take 99%.

But what I've heard is that the Challenge Mode is not part of the % at all, and that the final clay model is supposed to unlock when all standard levels are gold?

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
But what I've heard is that the Challenge Mode is not part of the % at all, and that the final clay model is supposed to unlock when all standard levels are gold?

The very last percentage point requires you to finish all the challenge mode levels. Technically, yes, you have to get all the gold medals, but as you get gold medals from successfully completing the challenge rooms, it's necessary to do those.

jariw

The very last percentage point requires you to finish all the challenge mode levels. Technically, yes, you have to get all the gold medals, but as you get gold medals from successfully completing the challenge rooms, it's necessary to do those.

Thanks for the clarification! All of a sudden, it feels like that 1% I have left is almost half the game... :)

Marow

I started playing earlier this week and today I managed to 99% it. I've also finished half of Challenge Mode, but I'll probably just leave it be. It's just not very fun and more frustrating than not for me :(

As for the rest of the game, I love it. I still prefer Canvas Curse, but this is also great. The games aren't that similar either except for the fact you guide Kirby with lines, which came as a surprise.

illusionary

99% completion and I think I'm done. That's everything from Story Mode and 34/48 challenge gold medals - the remaining 14 require doing survival challenges or perfect boss runs, both of which are just too much exercises in frustration for me.

All in all, an enjoyable entry in the series and the fairly short length meant that the main mechanic didn't become boring, especially with some of the ways that the game changes it up in the latter stages. The level of challenge is pretty well-judged too, other than some of the later challenges - and certainly greater than the 'cute' visuals might suggest.

I'm playing this right now and my opinion is becoming worse and worse. The first 2 or 3 worlds were really fun and still challenging, focusing on exploration and collectables, I was LOVING it. But then it became auto-scrolling shit, boring transformations and unbalanced difficulty. Plus even the design seems to get worse, the Sky world looks bad and I hate that flying uninspired Duck.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'm playing this right now and my opinion is becoming worse and worse. The first 2 or 3 worlds were really fun and still challenging, focusing on exploration and collectables, I was LOVING it. But then it became auto-scrolling shit, boring transformations and unbalanced difficulty. Plus even the design seems to get worse, the Sky world looks bad and I hate that flying uninspired Duck.

I'm on the opposite spectrum! :D
I vastly preferred the more difficult and (to me) insired levels from world 4 up to 6 (with the exception of the boss levels of late worlds...just a repeat of the first ones)

I'm on the opposite spectrum! :D
I vastly preferred the more difficult and (to me) insired levels from world 4 up to 6 (with the exception of the boss levels of late worlds...just a repeat of the first ones)
I hate the difficulty spike, I was still learning the controls and the game instantly put me in an auto-scrolling flying level that I will despise for the rest of my life. The exploring nature of the first worlds (and part of World 6) clicked with me while this feels frustrating, maybe because I'm lefty and can't paint a straight line ever.

Similar to your opinion, the levels where your just guiding kirby, exploring and having fun were great. hated almost all of the transformation levels, tank was ok but the others were awful and I felt that there weren't enough normal kirby ones, shame as those ones are really great.

Dryk

The main problem with World 4 is that suddenly shift the level focus to:

- Disappearing platforms
- Autoscrolling
- Bottomless pits

All at once. It's really annoying. (I actually like the transformations though)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
After the auto-playing Wii games, I'm glad about the difficulty, probably that's the reason. Plus, I already mastered the control scheme from the Canvas Curse, so maybe this is the main reason why I honestly welcomed those "spikes"

After the auto-playing Wii games, I'm glad about the difficulty, probably that's the reason. Plus, I already mastered the control scheme from the Canvas Curse, so maybe this is the main reason why I honestly welcomed those "spikes"
I too prefer this over Epic Yarn by the way! I don't think Rainbow Curse is bad, I only found myself enjoying more World 1,2 and 7 over the others, kinda strange.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I too prefer this over Epic Yarn by the way! I don't think Rainbow Curse is bad, I only found myself enjoying more World 1,2 and 7 over the others, kinda strange.

Well, they have structural differences, so that's not strange! let's say that I preferred the difficult levels over the easier ones, but I also preferred the first boss encounters over the repetitions. Basically, World 7 is the best to me, because it is pretty difficult, with a brand new boss :p

TheBear

Just picked this up last night. I'm really enjoying it, much more than I ever did enjoy Canvas Curse. However I find it difficult to get a good flow, i'm constantly ruining my lines, not getting enough speed and running out of rainbow.

The graphics tho... they are fucking incredible. Fighting that tree dude was one of the most stunning things I have ever seen in a videogame. the whole aesthetic is completely perfect, it is as close to a stop-motion clay modelled videogame there is. And Kirby is cute as shit and I'm not a fan of Kirby or the games. I aslo unlocked a diary page and it was a map of kirby's hideout which is poboably the cutest thing I've ever seen.

I like this game.

kunonabi

Just picked this up last night. I'm really enjoying it, much more than I ever did enjoy Canvas Curse. However I find it difficult to get a good flow, i'm constantly ruining my lines, not getting enough speed and running out of rainbow.

The graphics tho... they are fucking incredible. Fighting that tree dude was one of the most stunning things I have ever seen in a videogame. the whole aesthetic is completely perfect, it is as close to a stop-motion clay modelled videogame there is. And Kirby is cute as shit and I'm not a fan of Kirby or the games. I aslo unlocked a diary page and it was a map of kirby's hideout which is poboably the cutest thing I've ever seen.

I like this game.

The diary is super adorable. The beach page is my favorite. Just cleared story mode and I loved it. Challenges will probably wait since I'm all about that ink starting tomorrow.

So, is there a way to play the game AND look on the TV?
Or the only viable way is to play the game by looking exclusively on the Gamepad?

Any tips/techniques for the first option, would be highly appreciated, because the game is so beautiful not to be enjoyed on a big TV......

NEO0MJ

So, is there a way to play the game AND look on the TV?
Or the only viable way is to play the game by looking exclusively on the Gamepad?

Any tips/techniques for the first option, would be highly appreciated, because the game is so beautiful not to be enjoyed on a big TV......

Only way to do that is to already have good spacial awareness in order to visualize where you'll put the pen on the tablet and draw. You either have that skill or you don't.

Only way to do that is to already have good spacial awareness in order to visualize where you'll put the pen on the tablet and draw. You either have that skill or you don't.

I see.Judging from the few minutes I spent with it, it seems that I don't have this awareness.
They could easily implement a sort of "autoque" so as to recognise on the big screen where you are touching in the Gamepad...

NEO0MJ

I see.Judging from the few minutes I spent with it, it seems that I don't have this awareness.
They could easily implement a sort of "autoque" so as to recognise on the big screen where you are touching in the Gamepad...

Yeah, would have made things much easier. Tried playing without looking at the gamepad but I was making too many mistakes, especially in the later levels.

Teknoman

Too bad there isnt a new game + mode like most main series Kirby games...Just beat it, and its kinda bittersweet heh. Final boss could've been a bit more nightmareish.

zigg

Kind of a little bummed they stopped hand-drawing the translations in, though. The weird Comic-Sans-y text is way less charming.

Top Bottom