• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse |OT| players gonna clay clay clay clay clay

Salaadin

As with everything from Nintendo the answer is sadly no. The only exceptions are Pokémon soundtracks because The Pokémon Company handles those and stuff from outside studios like MonolithSoft and Intelligent Systems or short-term partners like Mistwalker or Platinum. With Kirby you're lucky they put out the Triple Deluxe soundtrack on CD for Club Nintendo in EU and JP but that was the only Kirby game that got that treatment.

Ugh. This soundtrack is so freaking good. I want to give them more money!

Sucks having to resort to YouTube just to listen to my favorite tracks.

Gartooth

This game is so much fun! I only have the foggiest memories of Canvas Curse so I don't really remember how it is compared to this, which could be why this game feels so fresh to me. So far I've just gotten to World 6, and my two biggest complaints are recycled bosses, and the fact that the game has such great looking visuals but makes you look at the Gamepad. (kind of unavoidable though...)

The Diary entries are adorable, I didn't even know about them until I randomly hit one in World 2. lol Also the new song remixes are great, is there any way to get them to play in levels?

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
The Diary entries are adorable, I didn't even know about them until I randomly hit one in World 2. lol Also the new song remixes are great, is there any way to get them to play in levels?

I don't believe so. There are some really great ones though.

Gartooth

Finished the last two worlds today. Overall it was pretty fun! Might consider going back for the chests, but otherwise I feel the size of the game was just right. Maybe a secret world would've been nice, but regardless I'm satisfied. I thought some of the level design ideas were great, although I did wish there was more open ended levels near the end like there was at the beginning of the game.

Also submarine Kirby freaking rocks.

I don't believe so. There are some really great ones though.

That's a shame, some of those would be good fits for stages.

lt519

Well just finished the game on a first pass with 91%. I probably missed something like 10 chests and 4 diaries. I haven't started the challenges, are they just repeat of the in-game rooms, or are they fresh?

Overall game probably wasn't worth the full $40. It was definitely a step down from Canvas Curse but I thought it was beautiful, controlled well, and had a lot of charm. It just didn't have enough variety, length and I really missed the power ups. The level based power ups this time around were fun but really should have been limited to one level each.

Not as fun as the last cheaper game by Nintendo, Captain Toad.

Really like this game, but I'm simply not good enough to play without looking at the pad. Gives me eye strain after a while, but that might just be me needing glasses.

Well just finished the game on a first pass with 91%. I probably missed something like 10 chests and 4 diaries. I haven't started the challenges, are they just repeat of the in-game rooms, or are they fresh?

Overall game probably wasn't worth the full $40. It was definitely a step down from Canvas Curse but I thought it was beautiful, controlled well, and had a lot of charm. It just didn't have enough variety, length and I really missed the power ups. The level based power ups this time around were fun but really should have been limited to one level each.

Not as fun as the last cheaper game by Nintendo, Captain Toad.

I believe all the challenges are new!

And now I need to play captain toad!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I think one way they could have made this playable on the TV would have been a press-to-paint control mode. Stylus moves a cursor around, and pressing one of the shoulder buttons on the Wii U pad triggers the cursor to paint a line.

Funny thing is, Pikmin 3 got a whole new control method, and a great one, patched in long after it was released. Wonder if they will do that here, since the biggest criticism is trying to play without looking at the gamepad.

I think one way they could have made this playable on the TV would have been a press-to-paint control mode. Stylus moves a cursor around, and pressing one of the shoulder buttons on the Wii U pad triggers the cursor to paint a line.

Funny thing is, Pikmin 3 got a whole new control method, and a great one, patched in long after it was released. Wonder if they will do that here, since the biggest criticism is trying to play without looking at the gamepad.

Im trying to do the last boss fight without getting hit and its soo frustrating. I wish I could use a button for something :(

Also do you have to quit the level or can you just die and try again?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Im trying to do the last boss fight without getting hit and its soo frustrating. I wish I could use a button for something :(

For the no-hit challenges, I thought someone said you can just try again. And if it's a multi-part boss like the finale, you can try again on the latter parts from the checkpoint.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.

For the no-hit challenges, I thought someone said you can just try again. And if it's a multi-part boss like the finale, you can try again on the latter parts from the checkpoint.

Can confirm for the last boss. Got hit on the second portion, let myself die, then tried again and it worked.

So I started playing this yesterday and the game lives up to my expectations. It looks appealing to the eye and is very fun to play. I find it very odd that some reviewers disliked the game as it is essentially a bigger and better Canvas Curse.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Just beat Rainbow Curse today.

My thoughts on it; The first few worlds are really, really slow, but once the pace picks up, the game improves a bunch. Appearing to be an even slower Canvas Curse is not a good first impression, but if that's the impression you got and put the game down, I think you should give it a little more time.

The last few worlds were challenging enough (collecting everything) to be really entertaining. I even found a use for Kirby Amiibo's unlimited stardash in a later stage. The visuals and soundtrack are where the game really stand out. I didn't play on the television much, but other people watching me did really enjoy it. And I didn't feel like playing on the pad took away from my experience.

Challenge mode is really lovely too and if you thought the game was way too easy, you may find some enjoyment here. They take what you learned while playing the game and cranks it up, giving you a series of rooms you need to complete in a short amount of time. This is not as visually appealing as the story mode, but it's really what I love. I didn't have the chance to try multiplayer in either mode, which is a bit odd because I've been playing through all the Mario titles recently with 2-3 players.

I think it's easy to compare this game to Captain Toad. They're both very nice looking games, although I think Rainbow Curse stands out far more. Rainbow Curse also has a much better soundtrack and general variety. Both games have Challenge Modes and Captain Toad is a bit more varied, but they're both very fun in their own way.

Overall, I think it's a good game that won't appeal to everyone, but you'll probably know if it'll be for you, or not before you ever touch it. I am probably much more forgiving on some of the game's faults because of the price point. Nintendo creating a 'budget line' with games like Captain Toad and Rainbow Curse seems really smart for me. Where I might pass on one of those titles for $50, or $60, it's almost a no brainer for me at $40.

TheMoon

Since someone else bumped this OT, I can now say how positively shocked I am that this game got an 8 in the new EDGE. It's crazy how all over the place reception always is for Kirby games.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
You know what? I posted negative early impressions in this thread after get through world 1 and I shelved the game. I had some free time this week so I actually went through the rest of Rainbow Curse yesterday, and my opinion has drastically improved. The controls suddenly clicked, and I was able to appreciate the wonderful graphics and amazing music since I was finally having fun with the game. On the downside, didn't love seeing recycled bosses.

Originally this was 6/10 for me but after giving it another shot, it's now a solid 8/10 for me. Really good entry in the Kirby series.

CrisKre

You know what? I posted negative early impressions in this thread after get through world 1 and I shelved the game. I had some free time this week so I actually went through the rest of Rainbow Curse yesterday, and my opinion has drastically improved. The controls suddenly clicked, and I was able to appreciate the wonderful graphics and amazing music since I was finally having fun with the game. On the downside, didn't love seeing recycled bosses.

Originally this was 6/10 for me but after giving it another shot, it's now a solid 8/10 for me. Really good entry in the Kirby series.

I agree with you, the game has more to offer that it initially seems. Its truly a great game with some amazing a very inventive sections. No other game plays quite like it and its predecessor.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Agreed, the game starts very slowly, but the last few worlds were actually challenging and offered enough variety to give me a lasting positive impression of the title.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Everyeye.it review: 7/10
http://www.everyeye.it/wiiu/articoli/kirby-e-il-pennello-arcobaleno_recensione_25559

Spaziogames.it: 7/10
http://www.spaziogames.it/recension...iiu/17711/kirby-e-il-pennello-arcobaleno.aspx

Multiplayer.it: 7/10
http://multiplayer.it/recensioni/148320-kirby-e-il-pennello-arcobaleno-provaci-ancora-kirby.html

Italian sites are pretty in line in their judgments.

Me, I've personally preorder the game, thanks to the low price, plus a coupon I had. I'll pay 20 bucks for it, and from what I've read, having loved the DS one more than any other Kirby, I'll enjoy this one a lot. Still a couple of weeks and it will be mine!

Zing

Banned
I've ignored this game up until recently. I decided it would be worth getting for multiplayer with my daughter. I was right! We got the game today and took turns as Kirby and Waddle Dee. We will be trying four player tomorrow.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I've tried it with my wife and we loved it. both are great fans of the original on DS.
visually, this game is among the most beautiful things I've ever look at in videogames.

Sora_N

I compare this with Captain Toad due to the price.

I'm almost done with Toad and enjoying it a lot but I tried this game and not as impressed other than the music and art.

2 levels in and still not used to the control movement and attacking.

I hope it gets a bit better.

Those reviews. The wait for it to come out here in the UK has been daft. Don't think I'm going to bother after reading so many negative impressions - there's so many better quality download titles to play at cheaper prices.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I compare this with Captain Toad due to the price.

I'm almost done with Toad and enjoying it a lot but I tried this game and not as impressed other than the music and art.

2 levels in and still not used to the control movement and attacking.

I hope it gets a bit better.

I'm perfectly fine with controls, maybe because of canvas curse?
art and music and animations are great, I'd say that the issue is with variety of transformations and bosses

Got this for my wife and before she even fought Whispy she was done with it forever

she couldn't stand the way anything controlled or moved or the way the levels "flowed" and was bummed out because she loved the look of it

I played a little bit more of it and I really disliked it too. Captain Toad seemed way more interesting and even then I didn't finish it due to the feeling of "yeah okay I see your gimmick and I get it and now the interest is gone"

I got that with toad after like 5 hours, I got tired of it with kirby after about 2. If the later levels change anything up (doesn't seem like it) I dont think it'd be enough for me to want to stick it out

I still love you kirby

zigg

FINALLY PLAYING THIS GAME

(went through about 1½ months of crashing and repairs, never managed to complete world 1)

P.S. digging it, especially with a friend

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Everyeye.it review: 7/10
http://www.everyeye.it/wiiu/articoli/kirby-e-il-pennello-arcobaleno_recensione_25559

Spaziogames.it: 7/10
http://www.spaziogames.it/recension...iiu/17711/kirby-e-il-pennello-arcobaleno.aspx

Multiplayer.it: 7/10
http://multiplayer.it/recensioni/148320-kirby-e-il-pennello-arcobaleno-provaci-ancora-kirby.html

Italian sites are pretty in line in their judgments.

Me, I've personally preorder the game, thanks to the low price, plus a coupon I had. I'll pay 20 bucks for it, and from what I've read, having loved the DS one more than any other Kirby, I'll enjoy this one a lot. Still a couple of weeks and it will be mine!

Another 7 by another Italian site:
Wiitalia: 7/10

Anbec7

I bought this because it was almost free on some promotion here in Mexico..
I love it it's kinda fun I needed something "happy" to play this days lol.

Should I also buy Captain Toad? it was cheap too!

JonnyKong

I'm excited to finally get a hold of this here in the UK at long last this week. The positive reviews in Edge mag and Eurogamer have got me going!

Vena

I bought this because it was almost free on some promotion here in Mexico..
I love it it's kinda fun I needed something "happy" to play this days lol.

Should I also buy Captain Toad? it was cheap too!

Toad is a better game, in my opinion. So, yes.

JonnyKong

Got this a day early from the Nintendo site. Managed the first world so far. Really enjoying it, and finding it more fun than I thought I would. Total pain in the nads when you realise you've missed a treasure chest until it's too late.

Got this a day early from the Nintendo site. Managed the first world so far. Really enjoying it, and finding it more fun than I thought I would. Total pain in the nads when you realise you've missed a treasure chest until it's too late.

Yeah, I got it from the UK store today as well. Been playing it on and off since 5pm and I'm absolutely loving it. Just fully finished off world 3 now.

Totally get what you mean about the treasure chests. You can miss them, the gold medal and the story book, which means you have to replay the level. It doesn't bother me as it gives the game a good amount of replay value.

I have to say, some of the animations used are absolutely top notch. The Nintendo magic and charm are seriously at work in this game.

KooopaKid

Banned
This game is hard! It's all too easy to miss a secret chest (and frustrating). The controls are also a bit random. Not sure I'm going for the 100% completion. Seems like a real pain.

Yuterald

This game is hard! It's all too easy to miss a secret chest (and frustrating). The controls are also a bit random. Not sure I'm going for the 100% completion. Seems like a real pain.

Wait until you start tackling Challenge Mode...still burning my way through it. Shit's legit hard.

Kinsei

Banned

It's not that bad outside of the rocket levels. The rocket levels were what stopped me from getting 100%. It's not just that they're hard, but the controls as a rocket suck.

Robin64

Hooray for Europe, finally we can play this!

I love how it's dirt cheap, too. £27 (from ShopTo) for a Wii U game? Absolute bargain.

Zing

Banned
Oh and trying to get the story book at the end of every level? Yeah, no!
In multiplayer, it's so easy, it feels as though we are cheating!

But yes, it isn't so easy when playing alone.

You shouldn't be playing this game alone, anyway! It's a lot of fun with a few friends.

Can anyone that has this please help me decide...is there any way to play this looking at the t.v? a cursor to show where your stylus is or wii remote option?
I love the art but it's pointless if i have to play on the gamepad.

Intel_89

I have a big order placed on Amazon which includes this game but so I could shave off some shipping costs I'll have to wait till the 25th to get it, I can't wait though!

Got this yesterday, from what I've played so far it's okay but I just can't shake the feeling of having stepped back from the DS original in small yet noticeable ways, like the overall control and momentum isn't quite as engaging.
Though I do like that collecting the stars is worth something and hey, actual bosses this time.

zigg

Can anyone that has this please help me decide...is there any way to play this looking at the t.v? a cursor to show where your stylus is or wii remote option?
I love the art but it's pointless if i have to play on the gamepad.
If you only care about the art, you probably don't want to play this game.

I haven't tried to play without looking at the GamePad. I'm fine with the GamePad. It's obviously lower-res and the color isn't as great as my plasma, but otherwise it's the same thing. I'm here for the game, so this doesn't bother me.

Robin64

If you only care about the art, you probably don't want to play this game.

I haven't tried to play without looking at the GamePad. I'm fine with the GamePad. It's obviously lower-res and the color isn't as great as my plasma, but otherwise it's the same thing. I'm here for the game, so this doesn't bother me.

It's still a bit of a shame , as the game is so outstandingly beautiful. Absolutely love the design. But as you say, it's all about the game.

Top Bottom