• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse |OT| players gonna clay clay clay clay clay

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Just finished the story mode at 99%... Got all gold medals, all story book pages, and all treasures. I clocked out at 14:50 according to the activity log. I did spend an hour or two checking out the figurines and listening to the music, but overall I don't see how you can complain about the amount of content you get for the price. And I haven't even touched challenge mode (is that where the final 1% is?).

Yeah, last 1% is finishing all the challenges. Glad you enjoyed the game.

Dereck

I can't believe that I just played and completed a game by just using a Stylus. It's impressive how easy and intuitive the controls become by world 3.

me0wish

As someone who doesn't mind short games, I thought that comments about the game's length might be exaggerated, but when I finished the game I was like "that's it?". The problem isn't with the games length, but I'd expect more out of a 40$ retail game, should of been a 20$ digital only title for the small amount of content it offers.

NEO0MJ

Just beat the first world. Game seems pretty fun so far, but I don't think I can play without looking at the gamepad :(

maxcriden

Just beat the first world. Game seems pretty fun so far, but I don't think I can play without looking at the gamepad :(

No need to feel bad, I think it's really rare that someone could. Like no more than 1-2 out of 100 people. I know I definitely can't.

zigg

So I am just now getting around to opening my $35 disc copy from Newegg, and I can't actually start story mode. I tap my save file, tap "Story Mode", and I'm staring at a white screen while the music loops endlessly.

Anyone run into this at all?

So I am just now getting around to opening my $35 disc copy from Newegg, and I can't actually start story mode. I tap my save file, tap "Story Mode", and I'm staring at a white screen while the music loops endlessly.

Anyone run into this at all?
That's the game. Surprise!

NEO0MJ

No need to feel bad, I think it's really rare that someone could. Like no more than 1-2 out of 100 people. I know I definitely can't.

But...I thought I was spacial ( ; - ;)
Kirby is so disappointed with me (>.<)

No it's not you fucking asshole :mad:

As for zigg's problem, I never heard of it. But there isn't much talk about this game online so you won't hear much.
Try erasing the game's save file from the wii u and try again?

zigg

&#128516;

As for zigg's problem, I never heard of it. But there isn't much talk about this game online so you won't hear much.
Try erasing the game's save file from the wii u and try again?
Yeah, I've done a few variations on that. I'm going to bring the disc over to a friend's and try there, otherwise I guess I'll have to see about getting an exchange through Newegg.

YAY

This game is so adorable. I want to get it, but my backlog is already enormous.

What is the game length looking like so far? How is the multiplayer experience?

SMattera

This game is so adorable. I want to get it, but my backlog is already enormous.

What is the game length looking like so far? How is the multiplayer experience?

I beat the story mode in about 5 hours and 30 minutes, and that was with getting stuck (for a bit) on several levels. Got almost all the collectibles. I think you could easily 100% the game in less than 8 hours.

Played almost the entire game co-op. It's OK. Sort of tacked on. Having a second player makes some levels easier, but the second player is thoroughly second class -- the screen moves with Kirby, only Kirby can go through doors, etc.

This really should've been a $15 digital title. It's shorter than Child of Light.

I beat the story mode in about 5 hours and 30 minutes, and that was with getting stuck (for a bit) on several levels. Got almost all the collectibles. I think you could easily 100% the game in less than 8 hours.

Played almost the entire game co-op. It's OK. Sort of tacked on. Having a second player makes some levels easier, but the second player is thoroughly second class -- the screen moves with Kirby, only Kirby can go through doors, etc.

This really should've been a $15 digital title. It's shorter than Child of Light.

I may wait to get it then hopefully when there is a discount (on a Nintendo game XD). If I buy it, I will make my friends be the second class character XD

zigg

I'm going to bring the disc over to a friend's and try there, otherwise I guess I'll have to see about getting an exchange through Newegg.
Game works flawlessly in his system.

WHY

300px-AngryKirby.png

I don't suppose the old Wii disc drive cleaning kit works in the Wii U…

Malus

I'm about 7:20 in and I've just finished world 4 and 1 page of challenges. Probably has something to do with failing to 100% some levels on the first go. I could see this taking 12+ hours for me personally. Feels about the length of 100%ing Captain Toad.

Whether it should have been priced lower from Nintendo's perspective depends on how well it's selling I guess. They have the brand recognition to sell things at a premium price. From the consumer perspective cheaper is always better obviously.

SMattera

I'm about 7:20 in and I've just finished world 4 and 1 page of challenges. Probably has something to do with failing to 100% some levels on the first go. I could see this taking 12+ hours for me personally. Feels about the length of 100%ing Captain Toad.

Whether it should have been priced lower from Nintendo's perspective depends on how well it's selling I guess. They have the brand recognition to sell things at a premium price. From the consumer perspective cheaper is always better obviously.

Until the Wii U, I'd never bought a Nintendo first party game and felt ripped off. But this game and (to an even worse extent) NES Remix made me feel that way.

Made by any other company, this is a $15 digital title. It's Nintendo, so OK, $20. But it's not worth $40 and I wouldn't recommend anyone buy it at that price.

Vena

Until the Wii U, I'd never bought a Nintendo first party game and felt ripped off. But this game and (to an even worse extent) NES Remix made me feel that way.

Made by any other company, this is a $15 digital title. It's Nintendo, so OK, $20. But it's not worth $40 and I wouldn't recommend anyone buy it at that price.

Different production values, and while this is "shorter" than CoL in the sense that the story is short, the actual game has considerably more to it than CoL by a wide margin on top of it being heads and shoulders above CoL in terms of production.

That said, I thought Toad and, moreso, Kirby are better suited as 30$ titles or so. Toad felt well enough off with the 40$ price tag but Kirby is a bit too steep.

SMattera

Really?

It's a pretty simplistic platformer with a lot of reused assets. We weren't even given 7 distinct boss battles.

It's not The Order.

Vena

Really?

It's a pretty simplistic platformer with a lot of reused assets. We weren't even given 7 distinct boss battles.

Yes, and? Triple Deluxe was 40$, same length or so for the main story, and the bosses were also recycled at the end. This is par for the course, and the bonus content just serves to fatten the title up for completionists and people who like looking at the clay-like models. And, as I said, the production values of this game are quite high relative to, say, Triple Deluxe or Child of Light.

Kirby has always been "overpriced" in terms of what it offers as a single-player game but the actual games tend to have incongruously long lifetimes as played titles for families/people who buy them since they tend to be "fat" on options and things to do. Triple Deluxe did have a great little multiplayer mode (which is also a stand-alone title digital title now), though, which definitely lacks in Rainbow Curse.

It's not The Order.

Nor is it 60$. Rainbow Curse actually has more content to it than The Order.

maxcriden

Funny you should mention NES Remix. That was $15, right? I was looking at my Wii U activity log today and my wife and I have played 23 or so hours of that game together, and haven't quite 100%'d it yet. (We really preferred it to the second game, which we still put like 16 hours into.)

SMattera

I don't consider NES Remix a game.

It's a thinly-veiled commercial for the VC. Charging for it is an insult, frankly.

RowdyReverb

I just made it to world 3 and I'm having trouble getting into this game. I really want to like it, but the gameplay makes me feel more irritated than anything. Does it get better? Is there a "must-see" stage in the future that I should at least make it to before returning it to gamefly?

TripOpt55

I finished this today. I never played Canvas Curse, so this style of gameplay was new for me. It is certainly unique and creative. I'm not sure it is exactly my cup of tea. Still there were moments where I was super impressed with it. Kirby + Kirby was really cool for instance. I liked when you had to use it to block things and guide Kirby. The transformations were a neat change of pace. The game was surprisingly challenging at times. I was disappointed with the repeated boss fights, but the ones they had were fun.

I loved the visuals. I do wish I could see them on the big-screen more than I did. Doesn't help that my hand was in the way often either. It is what it is, but I kind of wish they had used this clay style in a more traditional Kirby just because I love the graphics here so much and I wish I got to enjoy them more in their full glory.

Overall this was a solid game. I tend to enjoy the traditional Kirby games more than these more off-kilter ones. Even with the traditional ones I rarely think they are top-tier entries in the genre. Still this is a fun, beautiful game. I'm glad I got the chance to play it. I'd probably give it a B-.

TEJ

Just bought the game today, it's a very solid game and a welcome addition to the wii u software library.

I also love how there is no forced tutorial level. The mechanics are very unique if you've never played canvas curse. Not the most complex mechanics but it is nice to play a game that lets you discover how things work on your own.

MilesTeg

Banned

It's a thinly-veiled commercial for the VC. Charging for it is an insult, frankly.

Spoken like someone who hasn't played the game to be honest. I didn't think much of it until I played a friends copy. There is plenty of content, it's fun and can be challenging, it's great with friends too. It's very underrated imo. I got it from Club Nintendo and don't regret it at all. It's much better than expected.

But of course you are free to your opinion.

Niraj

I finished this today. I never played Canvas Curse, so this style of gameplay was new for me. It is certainly unique and creative. I'm not sure it is exactly my cup of tea. Still there were moments where I was super impressed with it. Kirby + Kirby was really cool for instance. I liked when you had to use it to block things and guide Kirby. The transformations were a neat change of pace. The game was surprisingly challenging at times. I was disappointed with the repeated boss fights, but the ones they had were fun.

I loved the visuals. I do wish I could see them on the big-screen more than I did. Doesn't help that my hand was in the way often either. It is what it is, but I kind of wish they had used this clay style in a more traditional Kirby just because I love the graphics here so much and I wish I got to enjoy them more in their full glory.

Overall this was a solid game. I tend to enjoy the traditional Kirby games more than these more off-kilter ones. Even with the traditional ones I rarely think they are top-tier entries in the genre. Still this is a fun, beautiful game. I'm glad I got the chance to play it. I'd probably give it a B-.

I think if you enjoyed this, even with mixed feelings, you'd probably like Canvas Curse. You should give it a shot someday if you get a chance.

SMattera

Spoken like someone who hasn't played the game to be honest. I didn't think much of it until I played a friends copy. There is plenty of content, it's fun and can be challenging, it's great with friends too. It's very underrated imo. I got it from Club Nintendo and don't regret it at all. It's much better than expected.

But of course you are free to your opinion.

I played a fair amount of NES Remix, but not the entire game. The best parts were the actual Remix/mash-up levels -- unfortunately, they amounted to what? One-eighth of the game? The rest of it was literally just NES games broken up into bite-sized pieces. And of course, if you enjoyed those bite-sized pieces, here's a handy link to where you can buy the actual game on the VC....

It was basically a paid demo for 20 year old VC NES games. If the entire game was Remix levels, I'd have a higher opinion of it.

TripOpt55

I think if you enjoyed this, even with mixed feelings, you'd probably like Canvas Curse. You should give it a shot someday if you get a chance.

I'm going to try to rent it from Gamefly I think. Probably wait a little while though, so I'm not jumping in right after this one.

TheMoon

I played a fair amount of NES Remix, but not the entire game. The best parts were the actual Remix/mash-up levels -- unfortunately, they amounted to what? One-eighth of the game? The rest of it was literally just NES games broken up into bite-sized pieces. And of course, if you enjoyed those bite-sized pieces, here's a handy link to where you can buy the actual game on the VC....

It was basically a paid demo for 20 year old VC NES games. If the entire game was Remix levels, I'd have a higher opinion of it.

Sorry but that's complete nonsense. Even in those snippets you have to complete them flawlessly and quickly to get three stars which is a meta challenge in itself not present in the original games and usually lets you play the cooler bits of the classics without having to slog through the annoying stuff. You're free to not like it but it's beyond silly to call this a paid demo for VC games or "not a game."

SMattera

Really? The cooler bits of the games? It's more like: "Here's a random platforming segment from some level in the first world of Mario 3. Except Mario now has two ghost images. Go!"

And the direct links to VC games are there for what, convenience?

TheMoon

Really? The cooler bits of the games? It's more like: "Here's a random platforming segment from some level in the first world of Mario 3. Except Mario now has two ghost images. Go!"

And the direct links to VC games are there for what, convenience?

I have no desire to draw this out. You clearly have a vendetta against the game and are deeply disappointed by what it offers. I don't think anything I could say is gonna change your tune.

NEO0MJ

Just finished chapter 4! Having a lot of fun. But someone please tell me that
Whispy Woods is the only boss we'll fight twice. I was pretty disappointed that the sky level had us face him again. It didn't even make sense!

Niraj

Just finished chapter 4! Having a lot of fun. But someone please tell me that
Whispy Woods is the only boss we'll fight twice. I was pretty disappointed that the sky level had us face him again. It didn't even make sense!

I could tell you that, but I'd be lying.

TheMoon

Do they not sell a physical or digital soundtrack for this game? I want it so bad but it doesnt seem to exist :(

As with everything from Nintendo the answer is sadly no. The only exceptions are Pokémon soundtracks because The Pokémon Company handles those and stuff from outside studios like MonolithSoft and Intelligent Systems or short-term partners like Mistwalker or Platinum. With Kirby you're lucky they put out the Triple Deluxe soundtrack on CD for Club Nintendo in EU and JP but that was the only Kirby game that got that treatment.

NEO0MJ

Just beat the game. I had a good time with it, though I'm sad to say that I feel CC was the better touch screen Kirby, at least according to nostalgia. Still, it was nice revisiting the concept and a lot of levels, especially later in the game, showed a lot of creative ideas. Final boss was disappointing in comparison to CC, though it's kinda hard to top that one.

DO we get anything for collecting all the treasures/secret diaries/gold medals on every level?

Niraj

Just beat the game. I had a good time with it, though I'm sad to say that I feel CC was the better touch screen Kirby, at least according to nostalgia. Still, it was nice revisiting the concept and a lot of levels, especially later in the game, showed a lot of creative ideas. Final boss was disappointing in comparison to CC, though it's kinda hard to top that one.

DO we get anything for collecting all the treasures/secret diaries/gold medals on every level?

You get a figurine once you get everything.

NEO0MJ

You get a figurine once you get everything.

Lame. I was hoping for some sort of secret boss fight. Oh well.

And I forgot to mention that I loved the remixes of old songs. Someone at Hal must love Heavy Lobster's theme because this is the second remix I've heard of it. Not that I'm complaining, it's one of my favorite boss themes in the series.

Go back and play CC and I'm sure you'll feel differently. You're right about the final boss, though - that was genuinely exhilarating, and one of my favourite boss fights ever.

Top Bottom