• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby Community Thread: What's Pink And Round?

zroid

Banned
Replaying Epic Yarn for the 5th time, and oh my god it's still fantastic. Incredibly adorable, kickass music, a gorgeously crafted (pun totally intended) art style, and some really inventive platforming throughout. A feel good (pun intended again) game throughout. Definitely still my favorite Kirby game. <3

I'm not an authority on Kirby games because I haven't played all that many, but it's probably my favourite too. Loved almost every bit of it.

Drago

I plan on getting Colors 3D once my XL gets here. I'm not a very good artist but my first pic will be a Kirby one.

How easy is Colors 3D to use?

Emitan

I tried to buy Dreamland 3 on the eShop earlier this week before realizing there aren't SNES games on the eShop. I guess I should turn on the Wii again.

Drago

I tried to buy Dreamland 3 on the eShop earlier this week before realizing there aren't SNES games on the eShop. I guess I should turn on the Wii again.
If you want to wait 2 months it will be part of that Wii collection...

But I agree, Nintendo needs cross-system VC compatibility. I play more on handhelds so it would be much appreciated :|

Jeeves

I plan on getting Colors 3D once my XL gets here. I'm not a very good artist but my first pic will be a Kirby one.

How easy is Colors 3D to use?
It's VERY easy. I normally draw stick figures, but that app makes me feel capable of more. It only gives you a handful of tools but they're really all you need.

I used my 3DS to pay tribute to another eyeballed Kirby boss:

oWyj5.png

Video

Pretty much just copied his Canvas Curse art, though I did add an extra touch to the spikes.

Then I messed around a little afterwards >_>:

IxE1N.png

Video

Colors 3D is a pretty swell app!

:O

Wow, you're really good with the 3DS!
And seeing how you created it is really cool. It's like an inside look at your artistic process. I never knew you could do that with colors!

Jeeves

Thank you! Yeah, I love that Swapnote and Colors let you see the drawing process. To me it's half the fun of seeing what other people have done.

The designs in Kirby games are generally enough on the simple side that it's not too intimidating to at least try drawing them. That may be an intended effect, if Adventure's "let's draw Kirby" intro is anything to go by.

About to finish up Butter Building.

Though I usually play in bursts, thus losing any score build-up I'd been receiving each time I boot the game up and play, I've decided to do a full play-through in one burst. This will allow me to aim for a high score of sorts. IDK, it's just an interesting way to play through Kirby's Adventure.

And I'm playing through Epic Yarn again right now. Just got to water world. My god this game is so pretty and the music is beautiful. As much as I miss copy abilities (I'm aware it didn't use to be a Kirby game), Good-Feel NAILED the atmosphere and look of the game. The style is perfect for Kirby.

DeVeAn

I loved Return to Dreamland but, Epic Yard my god that was so boring. It has an amazing art style but to me it seemed Nintendo had a new IP got scared and slapped Kirby on it.

StayDead

I'm not an authority on Kirby games because I haven't played all that many, but it's probably my favourite too. Loved almost every bit of it.

I loved Kirby's epic yarn, but Kirby man... He's so evil.

He literally unravels other creatures existances. :(

zroid

Banned
I loved Kirby's epic yarn, but Kirby man... He's so evil.

He literally unravels other creatures existances. :(

Haha, I know. But really, Kirby's kind of a dick in every game he's in. It's no wonder NoA decided Mad-Kirby's the way to go.

I loved Return to Dreamland but, Epic Yard my god that was so boring. It has an amazing art style but to me it seemed Nintendo had a new IP got scared and slapped Kirby on it.

That's kinda how it went, actually.

Still, I love the game. Not the best Kirby game but I can tell it was made with lots of love :3

And Dragoon En Regalia, I think the main issue with the music is that it doesn't really have the energy characteristic of kirby games. However, composition-wise, I think it is fantastic.

That, and a lack of rich arrangement that's come to characterize traditional Kirby fare.

Well... I guess it depends on how you define rich. It's certainly not a matter of quality because every track is excellently done. If it's a matter of variation and energy, then I agree. It lacks a certain Kirby-ness.

I guess I should retract my original statement about the atmosphere of the game. Epic Yarn looks just as beautiful, imaginative and vibrant as any other kirby game, but the music and pacing make it feel very different. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but I do know that I enjoyed it. let's leave it at that.

Drago

Are Kirby's Block ball and Kirby pinball worth picking up for 3ds?

Kirby's Block Ball is possibly the greatest version of Break-Out I''ve ever played (I haven't played a lot though :p) and is much more than worth it at $3.

Kirby's Pinball Land, I'm not very fond of. It's good, but not great. I'd probably say it's worth exactly $4, heh. It's a fine purchase, and you should get it too, but get Block Ball first. KPL should have been $3 too

Sciz

The way the dev team told it, they didn't really know what they were doing with the game until they got the Kirby license.

I feel Superstar has spoiled me, it's so tough to play some of the older Kirby games thanks to that fast paced style it had. That and how they developed the powers and gave them additional attacks...

Adventure is actually rather fast-paced, almost up there with Super Star.

Speaking of Adventure: whoever composed those annoying-ass life-loss and bad-hit jingles (for the mini-games) needs to be slapped. Impossibly-annoying, since it makes me over-react and think that I'm running low on lives. Once I figure out that I have way too many lives at the moment, though, I feel like I've been extorted by the game for my emotional worth. No jingles are necessary, game musicians, and they sometimes just make play-throughs that much more annoying in practice than in theory.

Yogurt Yard, in other news, is pretty boring. Grape Garden felt high and aloft, to be sure, and those airship levels are among the best in the game. But they could have been a bit more creative with the Yogurt Yard stuff.

I feel Superstar has spoiled me, it's so tough to play some of the older Kirby games thanks to that fast paced style it had. That and how they developed the powers and gave them additional attacks...

I felt that Dreamland 2 was a huge step down from adventure due to the same pacing, and after Superstar, I really couldn't go back, so I didn't much care for Dreamland 3 or Kirby 64. Amazing Mirror, despite its frustrating one way doors, was the first Kirby (platforming) game after Superstar that I really enjoyed.

Dreamland, Dreamland 2, and Crystal Shards all form something of a Kirby B series with similar design featuring slow gameplay, low challenge, mostly horizontal level design with little use for Kirby's flight (which was even removed from 64), collectible stars, a number of different blocks that each require different powers to break, and an overwhelming number of abilities which are more interested in getting a laugh than being useful in gameplay.

Dream Land 2, 3, and 64 at least managed to maintain their own brand of complex copy-ability mechanics that made for interesting play-throughs. But the relative lack of speed in those games is a disappointment to be sure.

She was the female version of another artist character from Dream Land 3. It's arguable that, if the modern Kirby development team decided to reference those two games, that either one of those characters could at least nab a cameo.

branny

Amazing Mirror, despite its frustrating one way doors, was the first Kirby (platforming) game after Superstar that I really enjoyed.
I wasn't super fond of Amazing Mirror at first (I get lost so easily, and the map confuses me...I think I'm stupid), but I respect it a lot more than I used to, especially after playing more Kirby games with less inspired level design.

Speaking of that, I think I'd only want a few things out of the next Kirby platformer: abilities at least on par with the complexity of those in Super Star, a quicker pace or option for turbo mode (with 1.25x~1.5x game speed), and levels designed to humble Kirby from the very start (or at least a genuinely hard EX mode that doesn't need to be unlocked). And no Super Abilities! They were a cute experiment in RtDL, but they should die with that game. I also don't want to be forced into collecting things every stage with certain abilities when playing solo--I want it to be a gauntlet of survival, not a collect-a-thon.

Kirby is such a capable protagonist; he could shine so much more if levels were designed around just how strong he is. I don't think the game needs to veer into obscene Mario ROM hack territory, but I think we need something crazy like that to push his existing mechanics a little further (without sacrificing the flexibility to clear the game with any ability, of course). And if the game is actually harder, giving us the option to use helpers (like in Super Star) will help less serious players out in addition to possibly providing strategic options if they're all like Wheelie Rider or Kirby's friends in Dream Land 3. You could also indirectly satisfy all the Kirby 64 combination whores that way. :p

I wish Kirby games, on average, were more challenging or provided more and better difficult options. Adventure is a fairly mid-range Kirby game in terms of challenge (though it's one of the hardest anyway), and even it feels dull at times.

But the Miyamoto way is the way of "one difficulty, because we think everyone plays the same way and wants the same thing!". And most Kirby games follow that philosophy to a tee.

I wish Kirby games, on average, were more challenging or provided more and better difficult options. Adventure is a fairly mid-range Kirby game in terms of challenge (though it's one of the hardest anyway), and even it feels dull at times.

But the Miyamoto way is the way of "one difficulty, because we think everyone plays the same way and wants the same thing!". And most Kirby games follow that philosophy to a tee.

Extra mode should be harder, really. And I hope True Arena continues to exist - THAT is a challenge.

Every Kaizo game ever should be required, by international accord, to have a SirRonLionHeart LP made for each game. Even though his LP's are complete jokes, they fit games like Kaizo Super Mario World so well.

EX Mode shouldn't merely make Kirby take more damage, in addition to other statistical changes. Whole level lay-outs should be modified, alongside enemy pattern changes and redesigned bosses.

Drago

Every Kaizo game ever should be required, by international accord, to have a SirRonLionHeart LP made for each game. Even though his LP's are complete jokes, they fit games like Kaizo Super Mario World so well.
YES

Love SirRonLionHeart. His 10-episode epic of trying to catch a Hylian Loach in OoT was fantastic :lol

To be honest, I love that the series is pretty low on the difficulty scale. I'm not sure I'd *want* the games to be harder on average.

DaBCGang

Neo Member
Kirby for the NES was my first game I remember playing and it cemented him as my favorite character of all time.

For that simple fact he was my main in all the smash bros from OP in 64, Below Average in melee, and the sadness that was Brawl as a whole.

Super star ultra remains in my top five games of all time. So much rage could be had at deleting the helper in the ridiculously fun two player mode or trying to steal all the food from Kirby.

Kirby for the NES was my first game I remember playing and it cemented him as my favorite character of all time..
I'm playing that game right now, and it's just such a nostalgia fest. That opening intro, the glorious music inside, and those amazing visuals that reek of invention, even today. The epitome of the NES.

Top Bottom