• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby Community Thread: What's Pink And Round?

RM8

Below Average in melee.
He's considered the absolute worst character in Melee along with Pichu. Slow, weak, no range, no priority, ultra nerfed specials. Not that it stops me from playing him, though. He's pretty decent in Brawl, go figure.

Also, I completely missed Kirby back when I was a kid. I got into Kirby as an adult with Air Ride and Adventure.

Emitan

I'm playing that game right now, and it's just such a nostalgia fest. That opening intro, the glorious music inside, and those amazing visuals that reek of invention, even today. The epitome of the NES.

Nightmare in Dreamland was my initial exposure to the game, and I still love it, but there's just *something* about the NES version that makes it so much more endearing.

Kirby's Block Ball is possibly the greatest version of Break-Out I''ve ever played (I haven't played a lot though :p) and is much more than worth it at $3.

Kirby's Pinball Land, I'm not very fond of. It's good, but not great. I'd probably say it's worth exactly $4, heh. It's a fine purchase, and you should get it too, but get Block Ball first. KPL should have been $3 too
I got both of these back after they came out in the '90s (got Pinball in '94 and then Block Ball in '97), and my thinking at the time was the opposite of this. Sure, Block Ball was a good breakout game, but I didn't think it was quite as amazing a game as Pinball Land is... I'd still stick with that, I think. Both are really good games though, certainly. But I do think Pinball Land is the better of the two, and Nintendo's best 8-bit pinball game for sure... (no, Pokemon Pinball wasn't that good, I thought. Revenge of the Gator and NES Pinball are good, but Kirby Pinball beats both.)

I feel Superstar has spoiled me, it's so tough to play some of the older Kirby games thanks to that fast paced style it had. That and how they developed the powers and gave them additional attacks...

Huh? The only really slow paced Kirby games are Kirby 3 and Kirby 64, both of which postdate Kirby Super Star...

Adventure is actually rather fast-paced, almost up there with Super Star.
All three 8-bit games have a very similar, quick pace. Why they changed that in Kirby 3, and actually kept it in Kirby 64, I have no idea, but it was a pretty bad idea. Those two games are far too slow, it makes them less interesting than most of the others.

My favorite is still Kirby's Dream Land 2. Favorite music is from Superstar. Gotta love that Gourmet Race :p
I agree, Kirby 2 has always been my favorite game in the series as well. On a related note, my favorite spinoff is Kirby Pinball. Amazing, amazing games, both of them.

I felt that Dreamland 2 was a huge step down from adventure due to the same pacing, and after Superstar, I really couldn't go back, so I didn't much care for Dreamland 3 or Kirby 64. Amazing Mirror, despite its frustrating one way doors, was the first Kirby (platforming) game after Superstar that I really enjoyed.

Dreamland, Dreamland 2, and Crystal Shards all form something of a Kirby B series with similar design featuring slow gameplay, low challenge, mostly horizontal level design with little use for Kirby's flight (which was even removed from 64), collectible stars, a number of different blocks that each require different powers to break, and an overwhelming number of abilities which are more interested in getting a laugh than being useful in gameplay.
... Kirby 2's pacing is nothing at all like 3 or 64's, though... it's the same as Kirby 1, and Adventure too. No real differences in pacing or movement speed I can think of between the three games. I think they're all great.

Also, Dream Land 1 is actually one of the harder games in the series, if you play it in Extra mode and reduce your max healthbar in the secret options menu... and it doesn't have powers, either. Do you mean Kirby 2, 3, and 64? I assume that's what you mean. But no, while I can see how Kirby 3 and 64 expanded on Kirby 2 in some ways -- it took Kirby 2's power selection and added to it (more friends in 3, power combination for the same result in 64), for instance, and added far more stuff to collect -- basically, I think that Kirby 2 got the balance just right. There are a good number of powers,b unot too many; I like the combination (or power/power+friend) system, I think it's better than Adventure and Super Star's system of having lots of one-time-use or special powers. I think 2's system of having just these core powers that you can then combine with a friend for a different effect is a better system. Of course 3 and 64 have lots of other problems, most notably in their glacial pacing due to how slow Kirby is, and in 64's removing infinite flight (Kirby can fly, just not forever), so I certainly wouldn't take either one of those two over Adventure overall, but still, I do like their powers system more.

Oh yeah, and 64 has a lot of challenge if you want to get all of the shards, which you have to do to fight the real final boss. Some are pretty tricky to get.

Will Adeleine ever make at least a cameo appearance in a future Kirby game?
Hopefully, it's too bad that they've removed her. No female characters in Return to Dream Land... :(

He's considered the absolute worst character in Melee along with Pichu. Slow, weak, no range, no priority, ultra nerfed specials. Not that it stops me from playing him, though. He's pretty decent in Brawl, go figure.

Also, I completely missed Kirby back when I was a kid. I got into Kirby as an adult with Air Ride and Adventure.
Kirby may have been completely nerfed to uselessness in Melee, but he was far and away the best character in the first SSB...

I'm not qualified to talk about Kirby's usefulness in any of the Smash games. I use Ness. He's only got one niche to fill, and that's being a god of aerials.

Pokemon Pinball has amazing music, to say the least of that game.

Will Adeleine ever make at least a cameo appearance in a future Kirby game?

We'll always have fan art!
iOOu6.jpg

K5nsJ.jpg

ubBns.gif

zJlhF.png

0S0Q1.jpg
But I'd love to have her return, along with the Animal Friends. Enough with the cameos, bring them back!

StayDead

I always loved the rock combo which allowed you to turn into a rock bird too, completely broken, but completely awesome.

Jeeves

Best power combo from Kirby 64 is the ninja star bomb. Anyone who says otherwise is a liar.
Truth.

On the subject of difficulty in Kirby games, I don't particularly look for challenge in them, and I'm pretty okay with Kirby being "light gaming". I will say though that some of the extra stuff in Super Star Ultra (Galactica Knight and Marx Soul in particular) was, at least for me, genuinely balls-hard.

I should really post something in here, i'm kind of all Kirby'd out on account of his numerous anniversary and appreciation threads he's had this year.

I'll take the time to praise Stone & Cutter from Kirby 64 provided you turn into the sparrow who becomes an instrument of death and destruction.

Orange Ocean is the most depressing level/world in Kirby's Adventure. Lack of minigames, twilight theme, none of the tension and atmosphere of the last few levels, and a lot of tricky secrets to find. I'm taking a break.

Drago

Wait, Kirby 64 is part of the Dream Collection?! Amazing.

But....No European release date? :(
Europeans have had it way too good these last few years. It's time they finally suffer. :mad:

next year, probably, judging by other Kirby releases

Drago

No need for them to suffer. It's just that Reggie and the crew have been handling their Wii releases so poorly for so long.
And complete mishandling 3DS VC. And keeping us in the dark about games for extended periods. Lack of color choices for 3DS XL. E3 2012. 3DS box suckery. Club Nintendo prize letdowns.

They have been awful the last 2 or so years. :(

Nightmare was piss-easy. His first form was harder than the second, and Da King was weaker than said first form. Weird difficulty progression. Regardless, what an ending. Now to do everything else in those previous levels.

3DS Air Ride with map-screen, online functionality, leaderboards, gyro controls, new and improved City Trial modes, stylus-functional Top Ride, and gorgeous audiovisual content all-around. It would be legendary.

It could work. Use the stylus to dictate direction, and push those buttons to slide and boost!

I'd give Top Ride more of a shot if it were more unique, and switching screens to play Top Ride could be interesting.

City Trial is the big set-piece of the whole Air Ride experience, yes. Lots of freedom and variety, plenty of multiplayer fun, and a strong third of the whole game supported by excellent mini-games and sequences.

Makes me want to have a short game right now.

It's the wheel-spinning portion of Kirby's Adventure, and always the most dreadful to deal with because of where it's placed in the game progression. Not to mention the dearth of water-based levels and lack of interesting ideas that take advantage of the game's mechanics in interesting ways.

Finally: the last two stages in that world have me convinced that the developers at HAL had run out of ideas to use for Orange Ocean, instead heading straight into Rainbow Resort territory on a premature note. What an annoyance.

I still have to say, however, that Orange Ocean was well-executed and a joy to platform through, no doubt about that. It's just a disappointment compared to every other world in the game, and I wish that more momentum could have been conserved throughout Orange Ocean so that I'd feel better about Rainbow Resort!

Whoever programmed the Destruction Derby games in Kirby Air Ride needs to take a hike. They're rigged. Really. I've tried my darn best to spin the other riders and make them explode, but the Shadow Star is either useless in that regard, or the other ride machines are more narrow and, somehow, are penetrating past my priority entirely. And while I can understand luck-of-the-draw when it comes to getting ahold of copy powers, this shit will just not fly with me.

I restarted my City Trial checklist on Kirby Air Ride today, mainly to give the game some surprise and a reason to play more City Trial. And I popped one-too-many squares within the first few games. It was hilarious.

Jeeves

Whoever programmed the Destruction Derby games in Kirby Air Ride needs to take a hike. They're rigged. Really. I've tried my darn best to spin the other riders and make them explode, but the Shadow Star is either useless in that regard, or the other ride machines are more narrow and, somehow, are penetrating past my priority entirely. And while I can understand luck-of-the-draw when it comes to getting ahold of copy powers, this shit will just not fly with me.
I like the shadow star but it's pretty frail. In destruction derby I usually focus more on items and copy powers, unless I have Hydra or a ton of offense patches. I find the agility of the Swerve Star makes it one of the best choices for that.

Swerve Star's also possibly the best for gathering stat ups during the city portion. I often use it for most of the city part and then swap it out during the last minute.

Ah, this is making me want to play again.

PS: If anyone out there knows the function of the weight stat, please let me know! I feel like it's the one dark spot in my knowledge of the game.

Weight has an impact on Glide, but it also gives your Ride more traction on the ground. So it's a good idea to gain Weight if you have a lot of Top Speed and Glide, alongside Turn to get more traction and control. Once you get to the higher stat levels, Weight's impact on Glide becomes negligible if balanced like a 1:2 ratio of sorts.

Top Bottom