• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby: Planet Robobot |OT| A Transformative Mechstravaganza

Even the Monster Hunter knock-off game wound up investing me for a bit. It's short but fun, I'd be completely down for a full game of something like that!

Come to think of it, both subgames would make great games on their own, aha. That's the magic of Kirby though, there are usually tons of bite-sized challenges and modes within the game itself that keep you wanting more.

Rymuth

Im in world 3 and its pretty fun but a bit too easy. I have not died once.. hope the difficulty spikes up.
Kirby's job is to be a treat to the senses and make you feel relaxed. It's an excellent game in-between games. A palette cleanser, if you will.

TheMoon

Kirby's job is to be a treat to the senses and make you feel relaxed. It's an excellent game in-between games. A palette cleanser, if you will.

A power-fantasy. It excels at making you feel like the biggest badass pink ball that can suck your day up like nobody else.

TheMoon

A transformative mechstravaganza, if you will.

Now that's some nonsense. Who comes up with stuff like this, nobody would ever write that into, say, a topic form on a messageboard or something not entirely unsimilar. Like, for serious.

^^

maxcriden

Now that's some nonsense. Who comes up with stuff like this, nobody would ever write that into, say, a topic form on a messageboard or something not entirely unsimilar. Like, for serious.

^^

B6I1l-aIQAA5XEK.jpg

Just beat it! Didn't get all the cubes yet and I still have to beat EX-8 in the final world before I get the true ending.

Great game though! A little easy, yea, but it's Kirby, so what do ya expect? I'm excited to see what's next, the ending was ridiculous and loved the character they reintroduced! Can't wait to see where else it goes.

That was easily the best final boss in a Kirby game. The game was pretty fun overall, MUCH better than Triple Deluxe. I wouldn't mind seeing them expand more upon the robot thang for a future game. The vibe of the game was very cool, and I felt a lot of what was done could be significantly expanded upon. I would die for a 3D Kirby, especially continuing with the robot theme.

MrBadger

I finally beat
Star Dream Soul OS
and I didn't even use the dumb stupid amiibo. My file's at 98% now. Do I need to find all the rare stickers for 100%, or do I need all the stickers in general?

Also I really wish there was a way to fight it without getting to the end of the
true arena. Compared to vanilla Star Dream, it's such a fun, frantic boss fight with so many tricks to it. It almost feels like an entirely different boss.
Definitely the most over-the-top boss since The Wonderful 101's finale. It actually reminds me of that a lot

Next up I'm gonna go back to Triple Deluxe's true arena. It's a hell of a lot harder because the bosses are invulnerable for a lot more time. The fire frog is especially annoying.

A power-fantasy. It excels at making you feel like the biggest badass pink ball that can suck your day up like nobody else.

Speaking of, it's almost become tradition to make the final stage in the story mode be
a stage where you wipe out all the mid-bosses in one hit with whatever gimmick the game is centred around

Super satisfying

Hey all. For those of you still struggling with The True Arena, I wrote a big guide detailing many strategies. Hope you find it helpful!

In other news, I obtained 100% completion. This is definitely one of the harder Kirby games.

TheMoon

I was curious, do those guarantee a new sticker, or do you have a decent chance of getting one you already had?

BTW, I'm rocking Nago and Kirby<3Kirby from Mass Attack on my Robobot. I was really lucky to get two faves early in the game.

Since stickers are even random if you pick them up in-game, I'd expect them to be random even if you use play coins. Just like in the StreetPass Plaza.

maxcriden

So the main game is super fun. As a palate cleanser before Area 6, though, I tried the subgames. My expectations were low but essentially met by Clash, but Rumble was...really really simplistic and below my expectations. I guess Mass Attack spoiled me with its plethora of fully-conceived subgames. I'm not big on (b/c I suck at) rhythm games but I think Dedede's Drum Dash was better than either of these. :/

So the main game is super fun. As a palate cleanser before Area 6, though, I tried the subgames. My expectations were low but essentially met by Clash, but Rumble was...really really simplistic and below my expectations. I guess Mass Attack spoiled me with its plethora of fully-conceived subgames. I'm not big on (b/c I suck at) rhythm games but I think Dedede's Drum Dash was better than either of these. :/

Just wait until you try to Platinum it.

Level 3 is rough.

MrBadger

I get too invested in the pause screen flavour texts.
I wonder if Sectonia is the "certain insect" that scares Dedede's clone.
Silly thing to bump the thread for but it was just something I thought of when replaying that boss

Same here...the 3D sub game was really bad tbh. Way too simple, same enemies every stage and didn't take the concept very far at all. I know it's just a subgame but usually they're better than this. Hope to see it expanded upon in the future

Portalbox

Sorry for the bump, but just wanted to say that I just finished it and it's probably my favorite Kirby game since Super Star Ultra came out. Loved the robot mechanics.

maxcriden

Robobot Ask-a-thon part 1 up at Miiverse:

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAADAAB2V0evMdAK_w

Major spoilers!!! (and I screwed up the spoiler tags when first making the post and forgot to hit preview so many apologies if I spoiled anyone!)

Ishida-san: All right, one last question. I'm sure some of our readers are getting fed up with all the game development questions, so let's move on to a different category!
We've been receiving questions from all over the world along the lines of "Is Susie Haltmann's real daughter?" and "Is Susie a clone or a robot?". Mr Kumazaki, would you mind clearing things up for us once and for all and telling us her identity?

Kumazaki-san: Allow me to explain: Susie is not a clone; she is Haltmann's real daughter. I'd had in mind two story paths - one in which you finish the game and the story concludes comfortably even without knowing Susie's identity, and one that reveals more answers after you sink a lot of time into the game. But in Planet Robobot, the story is designed with just a small twist to surprise you when you find out Susie's last name. I initially considered making it so that Haltmann, in his loneliness, created a robotic Susie who believed she was alive, but that idea was discarded to avoid overcomplicating the story. At the time, I also considered a scenario with one final twist, where you discover that Haltmann was actually a robot all along.

--

Ah so...I didn't catch that was her last name at all. When was that revealed? She wasn't a robot??!

Sciz

Ah so...I didn't catch that was her last name at all. When was that revealed? She wasn't a robot??!

Susie 2.0 boss description:

"As a child, Sue was involved in an accident during a Mother Computer experiment and went missing. Why has she joined the company after all this time? Her full name is Susanna Patrya Haltmann."

hawk2025

You know what I've been loving about this game?

Almost every level is SO unique. There's always a brand new idea right around the corner. Something maybe simple, but fun and interesting that will be dropped and never seen again for the rest of the game.

This has been great -- almost finished with the game. It's up there with Triple Deluxe as two of the best Kirby games now.

Knocked it out of the park. My one and only disappointment is that the bonus games were so, so short this time around. They are the best playing and with most potential out of anything in Triple Deluxe, but unlike TD they are just over far too quick :(

maxcriden

Susie 2.0 boss description:

"As a child, Sue was involved in an accident during a Mother Computer experiment and went missing. Why has she joined the company after all this time? Her full name is Susanna Patrya Haltmann."

Oh wow. Totally missed that. Thank you!

Part 2 up now too. Devs answering more questions.
Spoilers:
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAADAAB2V0e2W0rUBw

why did Haltmann lose his memories of the past along with his compassion? Did he discard them himself, or did Star Dream erase them? Also, Susie was appointed executive assistant, wasn't she? I suspect there was there some hidden meaning to this...

In order to control Star Dream, you need a program controller on your head to have it directly interface with your brain. Haltmann may have suspected memory loss from the beginning, or it may have been an unknown side effect... But the fact is that he started losing his memories bit by bit. This tells you just how incomplete Star Dream really was. Later, after Susie grew up and came back, Haltmann sensed something about her and made her his assistant, but at that time he had completely forgotten that he'd even had a daughter to begin with.

That's really quite sad...
------
Could you tell us how Haltmann got his hands on the blueprints and technology for Star Dream? Others also noted that the Security Force blueprints bore similarities with Metal General from Kirby's Return to Dream Land, and the data for Holo Defense API resembled Pix from Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards. Could you tell us a bit about those?

Haltmann travelled to numerous planets around the galaxy to collect their blueprints and technology. He may have gone to Halcandra, or perhaps to a planet with strong connections to it. As for Holo Defense API, Haltmann gained access to numerous different worlds after Susie was accidentally sent into another dimension and this is how he acquired that data.

I see, so that's how you're making use of elements from previous games. Now for a question about Star Dream - during that fight, you can see the company logo on some of the planets in space. Did Haltmann Works Company conquer these planets? If that's the case, what happened to them after Star Dream was defeated?

Those planets were under Haltmann's control, yes. The logos signify Star Dream's heartlessness and are proof of Haltmann's wickedness in invading those planets. The logo material was made using Star Dream's super-advanced technology, so when Star Dream was destroyed, the logos vanished along with it. That means that the planets should now be back to normal. I should also point out that the soulless evil weapons were wiped out, but some things that were out of Star Dream's reach escaped the destruction.

Like Susie's Business Suit?
-----
At the start of the game, we see the Halberd get shot down, but by the time it shows up again, it's in full working order. Who repaired it?

The Halberd made a crash landing between the cliffs in the space directly beneath Access Ark. Meta Knight was then captured by the Haltmann Works Co., but managed to entrust the Halberd to his crew. As a result, the repairs were finished in time and the Halberd could rush to Kirby's rescue, with Meta Knight back to his old self. But when Meta Knight shouted for Kirby to get on board, he didn't expect Kirby to ignore his offer and scan the Halberd's ability instead...

And here I thought Meta Knight was the one telling Kirby to scan it...
---------
Speaking of Meta Knight, here's a question about Meta Knightmare Returns. Is there any connection plotwise between this mode and the main game's Story Mode?

It's basically an alternate storyline. Meta Knightmare Returns is a kind of bonus mode that you unlock after finishing the main game, but that alone doesn't hold much appeal for a player so we made it into a "what if" scenario. Kirby games tend to be quite deep and have lots of content, and this game is no exception. There are two sides to the story: one for players who just want to casually play it from start to finish, and another for those who want to delve deeper into the game world. This mode fully realizes that two-sided method of development.

While we're on the topic of Meta Knightmare Returns, Galacta Knight was supposed to be sealed away in a crystal, but he broke that seal and showed up again in The True Arena. Are Meta Knightmare Returns and The True Arena connected at all in relation to the story?

The True Arena is like another "what if" scenario, so you can't really consider everything to be connected. Furthermore, the extra-dimensional road that opens up when Galacta Knight appears transcends space-time, so it's difficult to give it a concrete place in the timeline. But if you consider the stages in which Galacta Knight appeared in the past three games, I think that will give you some food for thought. Also, once Galacta Knight has shown up, it should be clear why he cuts down Star Dream: it forced him to travel through time and space and so he considers Star Dream his enemy. That's why Galacta Knight appears as an antagonistic sort of character.
----------
here's a question about the background music. There seem to be a lot of tracks that are slightly redone versions of ones from previous games. Is this because you were trying to please old-school fans? On a related note, there are many tracks whose names people would like to know. Would you be able to disclose any of them?

With regard to the re-arranged tracks, we have of course tried to cater to our long-time fans as well as newcomers. We wanted to reinvent classic tracks to create something fresh and new, something that fits the current generation's taste. I'm actually really surprised at how many questions we received about track titles. That really makes me happy because I love being able to add more depth to the world through text, be it with dialogue, ability names or music tracks. That said, there were a lot of inquiries about the tracks, so I think it would be best if we save those for later.

So we can look forward to a number of music-related questions next time. We're going to be having one last round of questions to conclude our Kirby: Planet Robobot Ask-a-thon. Please stay tuned!

...That's so...ugh....

Fan theories are always just theories, but what in the game possibly hinted that
the controller helmet erases memories? Like I'm fine with it being what happened but you got to give some clues at these things.
Compared to that, what about the constant mentions about how imperfect and flawed clones are in every fight with one in the game?
That they just look like what they are cloned from but could never be the original because it can't clone souls? That's what made the ending with the robobot armor using the last of its energy to save Kirby so amazing because it actually earned a soul on its own. What about during the last fight where Hartmann recalls why he activated Star Dream to "grant his wish" and realizes that a machine could never grant a dream. It made it into a story about how one person's broken heart unleashed an uncaring monster that threatened all life.

But no, it's because
the helmet with 10 seconds of screen time evidently erases memories
. I haven't been this disillusioned with a game's story from hearing the writer's thoughts since Uchikoshi ruined 999's ending for me.

Kangi

...That's so...ugh....

Fan theories are always just theories, but what in the game possibly hinted that
the controller helmet erases memories? Like I'm fine with it being what happened but you got to give some clues at these things.

For the
helmet itself
, sure, but...

"Haltmann's mind is being absorbed by Star Dream."

"All of Haltmann's memories have been deleted from the OS."

It was well-established Star Dream could erase memories. That it had a slow, corrupting effect from the helmet is new, but unsurprising.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
...That's so...ugh....

Compared to that, what about the constant mentions about how imperfect and flawed clones are in every fight with one in the game?
That they just look like what they are cloned from but could never be the original because it can't clone souls? That's what made the ending with the robobot armor using the last of its energy to save Kirby so amazing because it actually earned a soul on its own. What about during the last fight where Hartmann recalls why he activated Star Dream to "grant his wish" and realizes that a machine could never grant a dream. It made it into a story about how one person's broken heart unleashed an uncaring monster that threatened all life.

But no, it's because
the helmet with 10 seconds of screen time evidently erases memories
. I haven't been this disillusioned with a game's story from hearing the writer's thoughts since Uchikoshi ruined 999's ending for me.

Your comment made me go back and rewatch the ending. I didn't really catch that the
armor was acting on its own. I just noticed it even cries!

For whatever reason, the plot of Kirby games always just goes right over my head. I guess I'm like Kirby in that sense.

For the
helmet itself
, sure, but...

"Haltmann's mind is being absorbed by Star Dream."

"All of Haltmann's memories have been deleted from the OS."

It was well-established Star Dream could erase memories. That it had a slow, corrupting effect from the helmet is new, but unsurprising.

That to me seemed more because Star Dream inadvertently ate Haltmann's consciousness when the helmet was damaged and it was getting rid of the "system error" that was Haltmann's emotions rather than the natural effect of the helmet working normally. Like when you're fighting the core in the True Arena, you can faintly hear Haltmann's voice yell out as it takes damage. Once it finishes deleting him and going to the final phase of the fight you don't hear his voice anymore.

Top Bottom