• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby: Triple Deluxe |OT| Sayo-nara Suck-aaaaaaa

Picked this up in the recent Bestbuy B1G1 deal.

This is my first legitimate mainline Kirby game.
And wow. Completely blown away. Loving that there are no elements found in similar platforms like a timer or anything like that.

Also love how when you go into the background, there are certain areas where you have to go backwards. Make it feel a lot more than just a mindless move to the right platformer.

Only maybe 30-40 mins, but definitely has a ton of charm. Playing this right after ALBW has me on a cuteness overload right now.

Cody_D165

Banned
I also grabbed this after pricematching the B1G1 deal and I'm actually regretting not buying it sooner. This game's phenomenal! I haven't had this much fun with a Kirby title since playing Kirby 64 as a kid.

Kirby Fighters is also making me even more excited for Smash.

Got this game at the Best Buy sale.

Here are my problems with it.

• Kirby is too pink.. too saturated.. yikes. I like a paler Kirby.
  • Kirby's eyes are huge and they just keep getting bigger. There's a point where cute becomes gaudy.. Kirby has crossed that point. Look at his older NES/SNES art for what he ought to look like all the while being plenty cute.
  • The flipping A+B buttons... why can't I put them on on Y and B?? Didn't they play the SNES game? Don't they know how the buttons ought to be used? My girlfriend got Yoshi's New Island.. say what you will about that game, but when she complained about the buttons being wrong, I found the menu where you can change the controls... Can't do that **** in Kirby. Eff''em.
  • The new King Dedede design looks bad compared to his old look. What the heck anyway?
  • The music is almost as gaudy as Kirby himself.. It's so... ick. Like they're trying waaay too hard to be cute and cuddly and blechk.

Game is alright.. wish it was more difficult, but Kirby has been a baby game for years, and started out pretty simple in the first place.

I'm giving it a limp thumbs up. I'm only 15 percent into it though, we'll see if it grows on me.

edit: Man, I sound like such a grumpy old man compared to you guys.. but aren't my complaints valid? Aren't they? I'd rather use the Dpad and double tap to run than use the circle pad.. maybe that'll help you understand me more here.
I'm OLD. OOOLD! In my day Kirby was white with lines on his cheeks!

Nelo Ice

Banned
Well got this and Mario Golf thanks to the BB sale. I'm honestly surprised. The game is incredibly fun and just a treat to look at, especially with the 3d at max. Did not think I would enjoy the game this much since I usually avoided getting Kirby games due their ease and shortness.

maxcriden

Exactly how likely it would be that these two games will become available in North American and Europe?

Moderately likely, I think. Depends how much work it is to localize them and how well they feel these two aspects of Triple Deluxe were received in the West.

rawktapus

• Kirby's eyes are huge and they just keep getting bigger. There's a point where cute becomes gaudy.. Kirby has crossed that point. Look at his older NES/SNES art for what he ought to look like all the while being plenty cute.
  • The flipping A+B buttons... why can't I put them on on Y and B?? Didn't they play the SNES game? Don't they know how the buttons ought to be used? My girlfriend got Yoshi's New Island.. say what you will about that game, but when she complained about the buttons being wrong, I found the menu where you can change the controls... Can't do that **** in Kirby. Eff''em.
  • The new King Dedede design looks bad compared to his old look. What the heck anyway?
  • The music is almost as gaudy as Kirby himself.. It's so... ick. Like they're trying waaay too hard to be cute and cuddly and blechk.

Game is alright.. wish it was more difficult, but Kirby has been a baby game for years, and started out pretty simple in the first place.

I'm giving it a limp thumbs up. I'm only 15 percent into it though, we'll see if it grows on me.

edit: Man, I sound like such a grumpy old man compared to you guys.. but aren't my complaints valid? Aren't they? I'd rather use the Dpad and double tap to run than use the circle pad.. maybe that'll help you understand me more here.

Definitely agree with you on Dedede's design and the button switching, but I actually really loved a lot of the music.

Sponge

Banned
So I just learned of the existence of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahFmuPdpyZc

Even Kirby Fighters has the old Smash VS screens

250px-Giantdonkeykong.png

I wish Sakurai would bring these back instead of just using character art.

But Smash aside, I really hope they release Kirby Fighters in the US.

Kirby Triple Deluxe has an awesome musical score, as evidenced by:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBNj24jiGFg

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
got 95%, cant bring myself to get all these Rare Keychains I missed

I will get all these Rare Keychains I missed

Just finished this. Took about 7.5 hours.
Had a blast, but won't be returning to it at all.

I now see the appeal of Kirby games, and the mechanics are great! Sometimes the controls are frustrating, especially when kirby starts to float around seemingly uncontrollably.

Kirby will remain one of my mains for smash, but it looks like thats where he will stay for me.

maxcriden

Just finished this. Took about 7.5 hours.
Had a blast, but won't be returning to it at all.

I now see the appeal of Kirby games, and the mechanics are great! Sometimes the controls are frustrating, especially when kirby starts to float around seemingly uncontrollably.

Kirby will remain one of my mains for smash, but it looks like thats where he will stay for me.

If you enjoyed this game, I really recommend checking out some of the offbeat Kirby spin-offs, such as Mass Attack and Canvas Curse. Totally different types of games using unusual mechanics and art styles, and plenty trickier than your average Kirby game.

If you enjoyed this game, I really recommend checking out some of the offbeat Kirby spin-offs, such as Mass Attack and Canvas Curse. Totally different types of games using unusual mechanics and art styles, and plenty trickier than your average Kirby game.

Definitely will be checking them out. My brother has all of the DS games and I'd like to AT LEAST play Canvas Curse in preparation for Rainbow Curse.

maxcriden

Definitely will be checking them out. My brother has all of the DS games and I'd like to AT LEAST play Canvas Curse in preparation for Rainbow Curse.

Sounds like a good plan! Mass Attack is well worth your time, too. That game is ridiculously under-appreciated and just packed with an insane amount of content.

Cody_D165

Banned
Finished the game last night. Surprisingly solid 3DS game, and now one of my favorite Kirby titles.

Got all the Sun Stones but I'm probably gonna have to look at a guide to compare what rare keychains I missed. I somehow didn't realize they were unique to each level.

Goin' for that 100% though. Having a ton of fun with this game. Have been playing it so much I haven't even had time to bust open Bravely Default I got at the same time.

Collected all the sun stones and beat the final boss last night. It took me a total of 13 hours, but I spent at least an hour of that mucking around in the other modes.

So glad I picked this up during the Best Buy sale along with Zelda ALBW. Might come back to it and play through the DededeTour and the Arena, but I have to take a break first since the recycled bosses got a bit tiresome. Still, the story mode was incredibly fun and it took some thinking to get to all our the Sun Stones. Played this on a 2DS and I'd imagine it would've been even more of a charmer in 3D.

Enjoyed it about as much as Super Mario 3D Land.

While the thread is briefly back up, I finally got around to finishing up Dedede Tour during the week.
The idea of playing as King Dedede was a lot better in my head, a whole game with only a few moments for breaks in between purely with an enhanced hammer move set wasn't exactly a great time if I'm honest, It reminds me that a big part of the fun of these games is having access to all the varied abilities, taking that away and powering through stages as quick as you can and therein ignoring a lot of the optional puzzles and even level design in general is like one of the worst ways to play the game for me.
The way it handles the last world is rather poor with very few points of which to save and take a break within a mammoth run of stages including some of the games longest, at least Dedede tour is more enjoyable in the later half where the level design steps up.
In that respect looking back the games final world no matter how you play it's one of the weakest in recent Kirby games for just how much content it reuses, after Dedede tour in particular I don't want to see these bosses again for a while, I've fought them all far too much across the main game and this Dedede revamp.
The new end bosses were challenging enough and I dug the Amazing Mirror callbacks, even an altered credits sequence as well so it ultimately finishes on a strong enough note.

I know that I've been banging this drum for a while in this thread but I do think this entry was a step back from Return to Dreamland, even moreso now, while it always bugged me that game never gave the option to play as the other characters outside of multiplayer I did find its Extra mode version of the main game to be better than this games Dedede Tour equivalent.
Ah well, at least I finally found where the sound test had been hiding, shame that once again the music isn't titled.

Timeaisis

Just started this game today. I'm pleasantly surprised. May be a tad easy bit it's pretty fun and brings me back to classic Kirby.

maxcriden

Just started this game today. I'm pleasantly surprised. May be a tad easy bit it's pretty fun and brings me back to classic Kirby.

If you dig it, be sure to check out RTDL if you haven't already. :)

ETA: oh, and Mass Attack if you never played it. So, so good.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.

listen to this guy! Mass Attack is amazing, and RTDL is my personal favorite Kirby game! :D

sphinx

the piano man
everyone saying the game is easy,

the true arena will KICK YOUR ASS, sorely.

try it with any power other than archer and prepare for a pink blood bath

Timeaisis

Yeah, I used to love Kirby but haven't played any games in a few years. Definitely will check out RTDL. Any recent games with the awesome coop component of Superstar?

TopGun

Banned
I haven't played recently in about two weeks or so. I just started World 5 and I love this game. There's never really been a *bad* kirby game, ever. So far I've collected all Sun Stones up to this point, but key-chains are a different story. I don't know how I'll find all of them but I'll probably just use play coins to collect the rest since I have an abundance of them.

Berordn

Yeah, I used to love Kirby but haven't played any games in a few years. Definitely will check out RTDL. Any recent games with the awesome coop component of Superstar?

RtDL is that game. Drop-in/drop-out couch co-op where players 2-4 can play as Dedede, Meta Knight, Bandanna Waddle Dee or another Kirby.

No helpers, tragically.

maxcriden

My wife and I prefer to switch off levels so we played RTDL in SP, but as Berordn said, there is a co-op option available. Mass Attack as a DS game is lacking in co-op, although you do play as up to 10 Kirbys at once. And, it's awesome. Both games are jam-packed with content. Mass Attack in particular has just an astonishing amount of content in it.

ffman

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone have tips for the second Sunstone on 5-2? I feel like the game doesn't want me to get it. I smash the last post in time (using the Stone ability) but the blocks don't disappear before the dynamite explodes.

Velcro Fly

Anyone have tips for the second Sunstone on 5-2? I feel like the game doesn't want me to get it. I smash the last post in time (using the Stone ability) but the blocks don't disappear before the dynamite explodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7l8njWi5mY

it's around the 3 minute mark. there is like a ground pound cancel sort of move that helps a ton. it took me probably 20 minutes to do it and I'm still not even sure how since I was only close a couple times.

ffman

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I have been using the cancel but still haven't had any luck. The last set of blocks seems to have a "delay" before it disappears.

Edit: Just got it after 5 or so more tries.

For anyone else who needs help with that 5-2 sunstone being talked about in the last few posts: You don't need to directly pound the posts just the space next to them. For the last two you can stand between them and do one pound which saves some time.

That one had me stumped and frustrated for a bit.

Ragus

Banned
Just finished first world. This game has some spectacular use of 3D. I usually don't game with 3D on, but here it's just too good. And so is the game, of course. Love me some Kirby.

Velcro Fly

Just finished World 5. All sunstones in the first 5 worlds. I have 245 or so keychains so I might have almost all of the non rare ones. Haven't even messed with Kirby Fighters or Drum Dash yet. I'm at 49% completion. Game is very fun. I'm probably close to 10 hours on just the main story so far with another world to go.

Now I need to find something else to spend play coins on :(

Rented this game and man did I love it.

Absolutely loved the game from start to finish. Despite being long I actually enjoyed fighting the final boss in this game rather than it feeling a bit tedious like I felt with other Kirby game final bosses. OST was divine and probably one of the best for a Kirby game, Moonstruck Blossom(F-L-O-W-E-R) was the standout.

Velcro Fly

Just finished the final boss. All sunstones and keychains.

Game was just a joy to play. I had to take it slow because I was using it to dump excess play coins. But man was it awesome. Definite 9/10 game if the story mode was all it had.

72% completion right now. I'll definitely do other things with the game since I love love love Kirby.

I can't believe this and Mario Golf which I've also put a ton of time in came out on the same day.

Just over 13 hours to do story mode. That's pretty good considering none of it felt repetitive and even fighting bosses or mini-bosses again was different enough where I liked it a lot. I did look up a few rare keychain locations but mostly because I had no idea if I could tell which levels I missed them in and which I found them in.

maxcriden

Just finished the final boss. All sunstones and keychains.

Game was just a joy to play. I had to take it slow because I was using it to dump excess play coins. But man was it awesome. Definite 9/10 game if the story mode was all it had.

72% completion right now. I'll definitely do other things with the game since I love love love Kirby.

I can't believe this and Mario Golf which I've also put a ton of time in came out on the same day.

Such an amazing game! I really need to revisit it to play the other modes some and to go for 100% completion in the main game.

yayaba

Currently this game has entered into my rotation.

I'm playing it kind of with the mentality of it being a "one and done" type of game since I have a huge backlog and so far, 3 hours into it, it's living up to that. I'm not the biggest Kirby fan (only played Dreamland 1 and 2 way back in the day on the original GB) but this game certainly has its charms. I find myself wanting to critique it and to have it live up to my low expectations but I have to admit more often than not I'm smiling as I play it and thoroughly enjoying myself, though the game is pretty easy.

I feel like they put way too many special powers in the game though. And each power has way too many move sets. I feel like it's a problem not because they went above and beyond in terms of variety but each suit doesn't really have any time to shine before you stumble upon a newer one to try. And the variety of move sets is a little unjustified - you really don't need more than just a couple of them per suit to get through since each enemy dies with one hit.

Currently at world 3 and enjoying it though. I don't think I'll be digging into the Kirby Fighters much since by now Smash Bros would be the better option. I'll try the Rhythm game out and see how that is.

This game has inspired me to catch up on all the Kirby games I've missed though and there are quite a few over the past generations!

NEO0MJ

The many powers help add variety to gameplay, so I'm not complaining. And more moves is better than only one attack per ability. Didn't like how limited they were in some games such as Nightmare in Dreamland.

Top Bottom