• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby's Dream Collection |OT| Celebrating Kirby's 20th Anniversary

Kazerei

Banned
av0OQ.png
HMFlk.png

Release: September 16 in North America, unannounced for Europe
Price: $39.99
Platform: Nintendo Wii
Genre: Platformer
Players: 1 - 4

Kirby's Dream Collection: Special Edition is a compilation of six Kirby platforming games with some added features.

Kirby Super Star and Kirby's Dream Land 3 have two-player co-op mode. Kirby 64 has four-player mini-games.

The Games

Kirby's Dream Land (GB, 1992)
* The very first Kirby game!
* Introduces many series staples and the basic moves: floating, inhaling enemies, spitting them out

Kirby's Adventure (NES, 1993)
* One of the best-looking NES games ever
* Introduces Kirby's signature gameplay feature: inhaling enemies and copying their ability

Kirby's Dream Land 2 (GB, 1995)
* Introduces three animal friends: Rick the Hamster, Coo the Owl, and Kine the Ocean Sunfish
* Copy abilities are altered when riding on an animal friend

Kirby Super Star (SNES, 1996)
* Comprised of seven different sub-games, and two competitive mini-games
* Two player cooperative is available; exchange Kirby's current copy ability for a sidekick who uses that ability

Kirby's Dream Land 3 (SNES, 1997)
* Brings back Rick, Coo, and Kine, and adds three new animal friends: Nago, Pitch, and Chuchu
* Two player cooperative is available; second player is Gooey

Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (N64, 2000)
* A 2D platformer with 3D graphics
* Introduces a new mechanic: you can combine 2 copy abilities and create a hybrid copy ability

ULBev.png
FUrH6.png
1L6db.png

WzMm8.png
98uhA.png
nidP0.png

Extra Features

Challenge Stages
* Each stage is designed around a copy ability, which you're given at the start
* Like in Kirby's Return to Dreamland, but these stages are all new

Kirby's History
* Virtual museum filled with trivia
* Includes three episodes of Kirby: Right Back At Ya!

Physical Goodies
* Soundtrack CD, 45 tunes
* Art book, 48 pages

FjYGS.png
ibFEN.png
HeOZV.png

Media

Official website has lots of gameplay videos
Trailer
Commercial

Reviews

Nintendo Power: 8.5/10
Nintendo World Report: 8/10
EGM: 8/10
1UP: A
GameXplain: 4.5/5
Nintendo Gamer: 7.9/10
HonestGamers: 8/10
Just Push Start: 9.7/10
GameInformer
Destructoid: 8.0/10
gamrReview: 8.2/10
TheBitBlock: 8.5/10

Sushigod7

Can't wait excited for another Wii game this year. I have never played any of these games so I'm more than happy to give NOA my money on this one.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I'll be picking this up on Sunday. Really looking forward to it.

I'm also glad it'll only cost me $20 because I have a coupon on my Future Shop receipt from Sleeping Dogs. :)

Release: September 16 in North America, unannounced for Europe

Order has returned I see. There was a short period where Americans were going nuts about not getting the three RPGs but now it's all back to normal where Europe either gets nothing or gets it really late.

Kazerei

Banned
Does every game play in a stupid border? Can you not stretch the image to fit your TV?

I don't know yet if the game supports 4:3 fullscreen, sorry.

If you're playing on a widescreen TV, a gaffer's impressions indicate you can turn off the borders.

Any shots of the packaging? Its kinda sad, but ill probably only buy it if its as well packaged as the Mario 25th one.

There's an unboxing here. Seems to be a pretty normal cardboard box with the DVD case and art book inside. (Edit: added the DVD boxart to the OP cause it's awesome)

Kokonoe

Banned
8Bit games are the best at best at being upscaled. I'd say this collection is near perfect, but it lacks Nightmare in Dreamland for GBA. However, I'm certain that's due to them not having a GBA emulator for Wii. That price can't be beat, though.

Oh wow, this comes out in a week? Looks like I'll have to pick this up.

What are the chances of this becoming hard to find for a reasonable price like Metroid Prime Trilogy and All-Stars Wii?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I pre-ordered this! Love me some Nintendo collections, and I love me some Kirby. Plus, the last few Nintendo special editions have gone rare. (Don't think, just buy! :p)

I have about half the games in the collection in their original formats (Dream Lands 1 and 2 and Adventure)... but my missing titles are actually great games, from what I've heard!

What are the chances of this becoming hard to find for a reasonable price like Metroid Prime Trilogy and All-Stars Wii?

I'd say, fairly high?

If its a limited edition like those two, the chances are very high. With limited editions, Nintendo doesn't joke around with the word limited...

BocoDragon

If its a limited edition like those two, the chances are very high. With limited editions, Nintendo doesn't joke around with the word limited...

Nintendo games usually have HUGE demand and huge print runs... but these special packages are some of the exceptions.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Awesome collection. People will finally play Dream Land 3
Maybe..

Weird that Kirby's Dreamland 2 doesn't support the Super Gameboy stuff, limited as it was:

It would just make their eShop offerings, with not SGB support, look hilariously awful.

BocoDragon

Weird that Kirby's Dreamland 2 doesn't support the Super Gameboy stuff, limited as it was:

Aside from the screen borders, I remember that the Super Game Boy running KDL2 would play SNES-chip sound effects, like a "clapping" noise at the title screen.

I wouldn't consider it a huge loss at all. Would be nice of Nintendo to be thorough... but it you're that kind of nerd who cares, pick up the original hardware ;) (I did)

Nintendo did a second print of the All-Stars one. I don't see Kirby selling as well to justify a similar outcome, so I'd get on it day one if you really want it. I'll be at Best Buy next Sunday to get one that's hopefully in good shape.

zroid

Banned
MyEpitomeCliché;41912261 said:
Nintendo did a second print of the All-Stars one. I don't see Kirby selling as well to justify a similar outcome, so I'd get on it day one if you really want it. I'll be at Best Buy next Sunday to get one that's hopefully in good shape.

When they announced the second run, I laughed at all those people who bought a copy off-retail for triple the MSP, but the damn thing ended up nearly reaching that going rate in the long run anyway.

Mario, man.

--

Here's the tracklist of the CD, btw

img_thickbox_cd.png

text_thickbox_cd1.png

BocoDragon

I guess the lucky streak had to end after a certain time. Afaik NoE didn't even reveal any release dates for the quarter until now, you can still do it Shibataaaa :(

Yeah.... this is the first time I have heard Europe get the short end of the stick in quite a while (this generation... I know previous ones have sucked for PAL!).

Just ordered it! Thanks to this thread for reminding me.

I can't wait to play though the GB Dream Land games again, they're so good. Love the level design in the first one.

Can't wait to pick this up, take it with me to work, then FINALLY get to play it when the work day is done, like I did with my 3DS XL.

Stupid Sunday releases *Grumble Grumble*

OMG...Borderlands 2 is two days later!

OmegaZero

I'm going to celebrate by going online in SSBB and spitting people under Final Destination.
Like anyone still plays online

Kerub

Banned
Yeah.... this is the first time I have heard Europe get the short end of the stick in quite a while (this generation... I know previous ones have sucked for PAL!).

NoE hates Kirby for some reason.

I hope they release this at some point..it's not cool to region lock your console and then do shit like this, Nintendo.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

I'd say higher than both. Metroid Prime Trilogy was a game that looked comparable to modern Wii games and provided some good First Person games for the system. Mario sold well enough to get a reprint.

Kirby's pure fanservice, and as popular as Kirby is, there's no way he's popular enough for a reprint. If you want this, get it day 1.

I guess the lucky streak had to end sooner or later.

The lucky streak essentially amounted to a few niche JRPGs. Still sucks we don't get most things, and our Club Nintendo service is still absolutely laughable, as is the eShop storefront.

But this looks really good, didn't even know Dreamland 3 was a thing/had co-op.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The lucky streak essentially amounted to a few niche JRPGs. Still sucks we don't get most things, and our Club Nintendo service is still absolutely laughable, as is the eShop storefront.

But this looks really good, didn't even know Dreamland 3 was a thing/had co-op.

Didn't you guys get actual Mario Kart replicas for Club Nintendo rewards and all we got was playing cards?

zroid

Banned

And Hotel Dusk 2. And Another Code 2. And Disaster. And Pandoras Tower. And Project Zero 2.
Nope, Reggie doesn't really get any sympathy points in comparison.

Seik

Banned
Thanks Kazerei, I totally forgot the game will be out next week.

Done aaaand done, pre-order on Amazon is done, now the wait. :D

epmode

I don't know yet if the game supports 4:3 fullscreen, sorry.
Since widescreen on the Wii actually cuts detail out of 4:3 games unless they support 4:3 fullscreen, my purchase depends on this.

edit: Man, that made a lot more sense before I typed it out.

I'm a bit surprised it's rated E10+.

But yes, I am not a huge Kirby fan (only love Adventure, IMO tied with Mario 3 as the best NES game), but the collection as a whole is pretty awesome.

EDIT:
To make it 4:3 stretched, just set your Wii to 4:3 and it'll stretch the 4:3 screen to your display.

If you use a USB loader, it'll be even easier, since you can force 4:3 on a game-to-game basis instead of changing your entire Wii's settings every time you start/stop playing the game.

So funny thinking about how bad the Mario collection was, just a port of the SNES game with no SMW. A true collection would've added the Gameboy games, SMW, and the N64 + GC Sunshine. And a real artbook. That would've been a TRUE collection.

Top Bottom