• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby's Dream Collection |OT| Celebrating Kirby's 20th Anniversary

Ultimadrago

Here's the tracklist of the CD, btw

img_thickbox_cd.png

Ooooh. I like.

zroid

Banned
So funny thinking about how bad the Mario collection was, just a port of the SNES game with no SMW. A true collection would've added the Gameboy games, SMW, and the N64 + GC Sunshine. And a real artbook. That would've been a TRUE collection.

In all fairness, they never really implied it was a collection, the title itself is just Super Mario All-Stars Limited Edition. Which it is, to the letter, for better or worse.

I was thinking about getting this just for Dream Land 3 since its the only game in the collection I don't already have. There's no way I'm paying $50 for the SNES cartridge.

Would it be worth it to spend the money for this collection just for Dream Land 3?

Kazerei

Banned
To make it 4:3 stretched, just set your Wii to 4:3 and it'll stretch the 4:3 screen to your display.

Supposedly certain games like DKCR and Xenoblade only render in 16:9, and setting the Wii to 4:3 just adds black bars to the top and bottom. I don't actually know though, I only have an HDTV with me.

I was thinking about getting this just for Dream Land 3 since its the only game in the collection I don't already have. There's no way I'm paying $50 for the SNES cartridge.

Would it be worth it to spend the money for this collection just for Dream Land 3?

Dream Land 3 is available on Virtual Console for 800 points ... but you should still buy the collection anyway! :D

Supposedly certain games like DKCR and Xenoblade only render in 16:9, and setting the Wii to 4:3 just adds black bars to the top and bottom. I don't actually know though, I only have an HDTV with me.

That's true. Most 16:9 Nintendo games do that (or the 4:3 equivalent with Wario Land Shake), but if Nintendo/HAL emulates a 4:3 game and has black bars in 4:3 mode, then something must be seriously wrong with them. lol

IrishNinja

preordered! Epic Yarn was my first Kirby one, and ive got the ambassador GBA one too. any other essentials not on here?

This is way better than the Mario one.

god yes, hope this is a new standard. I loved the Zelda one last gen but it left off too much (LTTP, LA etc) and i hear MM is kinda broken. shame Trilogy was the closest Metroid ever got.

Kazerei

Banned
I always like to have some sort of legit physical copy of my games. Even if it costs me more.

I see. There might never be another physical release of Dream Land 3, so I guess get whichever version is cheaper.

That's true. Most 16:9 Nintendo games do that (or the 4:3 equivalent with Wario Land Shake), but if Nintendo/HAL emulates a 4:3 game and has black bars in 4:3 mode, then something must be seriously wrong with them. lol

Yeah that would be really dumb ... but I wouldn't put it past them lol

Katzii

Yeah.... this is the first time I have heard Europe get the short end of the stick in quite a while (this generation... I know previous ones have sucked for PAL!).

Europe always gets the short end of the stick when it comes to Kirby; for some reason, we seem to get the titles a good few months later over here.

Iwata representin' his HAL roots! Aw yeah

Although the last few Kirby games have been quite good, I can honestly say I've had my Kirby fill for at least the next 5 years,
unless they make a sequel to Kirby's Dream Course for the 3DS or something.

Teknoman

Oh man, wait till you guys hear Studying the Factory. I would have picked Planet Rock Star instead of Pop Star though.

J@hranimo

Banned
I'm so getting this next week when I get paid. I've never played any of these Kirby games except for Crystal Shards and I need to get acquainted.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This is inherently a more interesting collection than the Zelda Collector's Edition or the Mario All-Stars Collection.... I bet that far, far fewer people would have played all the Kirby games here.

Teknoman

Also glad that they decided to feature
Magolor
and
Magolor Soul
as challenge rooms here (or at least I remember reading that), so hopefully those that missed Return to Dreamland will get to experience those boss battles/themes. Still surprised that managed to provide one of the more intense fights/themes this generation.

Of course if you havent bought Return to Dreamland already, please do so.

Depends on why you want Dream Land 3. I bought it just recently, since I had been getting most of the kirby games I was missing cheap in Japan, but at 1000 yen it was the most expensive game of the bunch. I hoped I would like it more than last time I tried it, since I adore so many other games in the series and I love the graphics, but I find the game to be incredibly slow paced, dull, and repetitive. It's like walking through a pleasant art gallery with the floor covered in two feet of syrup. watching the attract mode, it seems like there may be one or two decent levels in, but it takes all the fun, intensity, challenge, and variety out of Kirby.

If you like Dreamland 2 or Kirby 64, you may be able to enjoy it, as those three are all similarly slow and tend to confine Kirby to narrow corridors that limit the use of his flight (which itself is gimped in 64). They tend to have a very small number of enemies to inhale which are then mixed with animal friends or other powers to provide some variety, but while these include a number abilities that will make you chuckle, many of the powers are much less versatile than in the other games.

TriGen

Kirby Super Star is still one of my favorite games ever. I remember I had my SNES at my grandparent's house and my PS/N64 at my house, well I'll tell ya everytime I was at my grandparent's (which was a lot) Kirby Super Star was played.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I saw on the Canada gaming deals thread that there is a Trade 1 game and get Kirby deal at Futureshop. Sounds like a good deal if true for Canadians.

Roto13

Ugh, why do I want this? The only game in the collection I don't have on a current gen console is Dream Land 2 and that's only because it hasn't had a 3DS VC release in North America yet. :(

Skyward Sword definitely does this.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Ugh, why do I want this? The only game in the collection I don't have on a current gen console is Dream Land 2 and that's only because it hasn't had a 3DS VC release in North America yet. :(

For the Chaaaaaaallenge Stages. They were the best part of Return to Dream Land.

Kazerei

Banned
I hardly think this needs reviews, but:

http://www.1up.com/reviews/kirby-dream-collection-review-perfect-anniversary

Parish not a huge of Kirby it seems :p. Still, he had the good sense to give it a well-deserved "A".

Thanks, added to OP. Parish seems so bitter that the "superior" franchise got a shitty anniversary collection haha!

I'm gonna laugh so hard if this game does too. BORDERS ON ALL SIDES!

Drago

I reeeeeeeally want to get this but I'm a bit short on funds :(

Hope this doesn't become super rare and overpriced like the Mario collection was after a week or two of release
but it will probably be even more rare and overpriced

Teknoman

I reeeeeeeally want to get this but I'm a bit short on funds :(

Hope this doesn't become super rare and overpriced like the Mario collection was after a week or two of release
but it will probably be even more rare and overpriced

Its a Nintendo collectors edition item. Chances are you'll be able to find some for the rest of the month, maybe a few afterwards...then its expensive collectors item time.

EDIT:

"The Dream Collection also includes a CD of game audio, though I can't imagine anyone willingly subjecting themselves to Kirby's relentlessly upbeat and whimsical music."

ibbEJWJDvl69lt.gif

firehawk12

Subete no aware
After watching that GCCX episode, I was hoping that Kirby golf game would be in this... I guess that'd be too different for this package.

IrishNinja

aw man gamestop is open during the hours i sleep today, i hope they dont sell the copy i reserved...should be a fine sendoff for my wii

I haven't read through every post in this thread BUT...Is this getting released in PAL land or not?

NoE and NAL felt we were getting a bit too complacent, not complaining as much as the Americans, so they're letting us sweat on this one to put the fear of Shibata back into us.

Top Bottom