• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knack new gameplay

For a brawler type of game the gameplay looks really unexciting and shallow. I'd understand if they're trying to target a younger, more casual audience with this game.
I'm also not a fan of the abstractish particles look of Knack. He looks like a bunch of floating beads and wooden blocks.

jWILL253

Banned
This game looks good. Camera needs some work, though.

Also, this video shown off a good portion of the PlayStation 4 UI. I freaking love it!

EDIT:

hahhaah I came here to post that It's incredible that a first party game for PS4 looks so much bland than The Wonderful 101, which is a game for a inferior platform and, well, Sony always makes games that pushes the hardware.

It looks boring and slow too. I didn't like the art direction at all, the first scenes are horrible. And that's sad, because I love games that are cute, but Knack seems awful.

Also, it's just me or seeing our friends face while we are playing is something that removes all the game's immersion?

Seriously what was the last 3D platformer have you guys played? This shit painfully generic. Go back and play Rayman 2, DK64, 3DMario (anyone would do), SA2, Sonic Unleashed/Colors/Generations, and get educated on what is a good platformer for god's sake.

People like you make it hard to enjoy video games...

hahhaah I came here to post that It's incredible that a first party game for PS4 looks so much bland than The Wonderful 101, which is a game for a inferior platform and, well, Sony always makes games that pushes the hardware.

It looks boring and slow too. I didn't like the art direction at all, the first scenes are horrible. And that's sad, because I love games that are cute, but Knack seems awful.

Also, it's just me or seeing our friends face while we are playing is something that removes all the game's immersion?

101 is made by one of the best and most critically acclaimed devs in the industry. Sony's Japan studio is nice and all but let's be real. Discounting Knack because of that is pretty lame. Platinum is top-tier.

Anyway, if I had the money for a few games at launch this would be one as a nice change of pace. Looks really easy and stress-free. Unfortunately, I can only buy one or two max.

Varg

Banned
I miss these types of games so much man :( I hope it's lengthy and I can see myself collecting all the parts in the game for the plat

Espada

Man, that looks kind of boring. The stages look especially sterile, though I did like some bits of it here and there. Best part was Cerny explaining how they created the console. It's baffling that this isn't the norm.

tim.mbp

I will play this, even if I'm not too jazzed about the "soft" look.

Off topic: anyone find it weird the Anthony seems to be getting a paycheck from Sony and Rev3? Seems like a serious conflict of interest.

For a brawler type of game the gameplay looks really unexciting and shallow. I'd understand if they're trying to target a younger, more casual audience with this game.

It's a show floor demo. They aren't going to put the most challenging things in on a show floor demo. This is how the business works.

If they were showing a Ninja Gaiden or something it'd be more challenging, but still those demos are easy as hell. "Kid friendly" platformers never show the hard stuff in demos.

Loudninja

For those willing to take advantage of the PS4′s social features, those secret passageways are where the system — and your friends, if they also own the game — will come in handy. Hidden items are randomly generated, said Cerny, and once you find one you can see what your friends uncovered in the same spot.
And if it’s something you want? Cerny said you can “pick one of those items” and build your inventory quicker.

“That means you can get your special abilities much faster if you have people who you know playing the game,” Cerny said. “It also makes you feel like you’re playing the game alongside your real-world friends.”
http://herocomplex.latimes.com/games/e3-2013-knack-brings-a-dash-of-fun-to-ps4-launch/#/0

>comes into thread

>read positive replies

Damn, they must've changed up the gameplay quickly, I thought that shit was boring. I better watch the new video.

>Watches the video

>still the same shit I bashed from the other day

Seriously what was the last 3D platformer have you guys played? This shit painfully generic. Go back and play Rayman 2, DK64, 3DMario (anyone would do), SA2, Sonic Unleashed/Colors/Generations, and get educated on what is a good platformer for god's sake.

It's not a platformer, calm down.

Alienous

It's a brand new, from scratch game where more next-gen games have had a good current-gen foundation.

It doesn't look like something I would enjoy playing, personally.

StuBurns

Banned
So boring. I really don't get it at all. Maybe year three when you're trying to widen the audience, but this game isn't going to sell at all.

It looks awful as a brawler as well. It looks nice, but at the same time it looks cheap as shit as well.

The gameplay looks really basic, yeah. Maybe one of those games you play when you just wanna dick around and not worry about difficulty, I dunno. That's how I see it. Nothing special but something different for launch.

Maybe I can expect the price of this to be 30-40 bucks?
I'd pay 30 bucks for this, prob not much more lol.

IcyEyes

101 is made by one of the best and most critically acclaimed devs in the industry. Sony's Japan studio is nice and all but let's be real. Discounting Knack because of that is pretty lame. Platinum is top-tier.

Anyway, if I had the money for a few games at launch this would be one as a nice change of pace. Looks really easy and stress-free. Unfortunately, I can only buy one or two max.

Japan studios is a pretty awesome developer.

Goldmund

I like the design of Knack but the visuals seem otherwise uninspired. It doesn't look like a Pixar movie, it looks like the cheaply produced Saturday morning TV series based on a mildly successful Dreamworks film. I'm not sure about the brawling and level design either (the awkward three-step jump in the ice cave, for example). I wouldn't buy this without checking out the demo first.

zeopower6

The gameplay looks really basic, yeah. Maybe one of those games you play when you just wanna dick around and not worry about difficulty, I dunno. That's how I see it. Nothing special but something different for launch.

Apparently, Hard mode can potentially be really difficult due to enemy attack timing or w/e. Some reviews said that the floor demo had people dying a lot though but then others say it's a fun easy romp. Maybe those other people just didn't know how to play...

Japan studios is a pretty awesome developer.

Indeed. They have rain, Puppeteer, and this coming out in the next 6 months or so, I think, all radically different and with their own 'flavor'.

It actually looks like something I would have expected THQ (RIP) to put out for a system launch now that I think about it.

ndeed. They have rain, Puppeteer, and this coming out in the next 6 months or so, I think, all radically different and with their own 'flavor'.

Yeah I love the fact that they don't have a sequel in sight with 4 new IPs including Pantioception for Vita.

drexplora

game looks fine!!

only thing that bothers me is that knack and the enemies have no permanent effect on the world.
No matter how much destruction or chaos is caused, the world remains squeaky clean..

Also hope the way enemies and their armor disappears isn't finished.
Looks very sloppy, they just disappear almost instantly..
You would think they would want you to see and/or interact with the different pieces since this game is touting sweet physics and simulations.

The world seems very static =/

SkylineRKR

So boring. I really don't get it at all. Maybe year three when you're trying to widen the audience, but this game isn't going to sell at all.

By then this game will be buried by waves of popular releases. As a launch game this might sell because there isn't much choice yet. Much like Resistance did.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
I don't see why they couldn't do this game on PS3. It doesn't scream next-gen. It really does look like a poor man's Kameo to me.

I think I'll definately wait before picking this up and see what the GAF reaction and reviews say. I was first thinking if I can pick a PS4 up this year I'd get Killzone, Infamous and Knack but with Infamous being a Q1 title I'm gravitating towards Killzone, Black Flag (never played an AC game before :eek:) and some downloadable titles if there are any good ones. Or just get some PS3 games I have missed on.

I kinda hope we get a surprise announcement of Rayman or Puppeteer PS4 :lol

Izick

What's a shame is that it looked so promising and fresh in that original debut trailer. That was a great way to kick off the PS4, but seeing it realized leaves something to be desired.

dan2026

I don't see what all you guys giving positive replies are seeing really.

The combat looks basic at best and mindless at worst.

The platforming looks vaguely nonexistent.

The graphics look sharp but incredibly bland at the same time.

To be honest it looks like a budget kids title, even though it isn't.

Empty

even cerny can't seduce me into being impressed by the e3 demo. the levels are so empty it's almost eerie and the producer comment about the game being about working out how to beat enemies is more revealing than cerny's comparisons to crash. i mean at one point he says "the gameplay is like crash bandicoot" which is patently isn't. in that game there tons of pure platforming challenge, here you occasionally jump up stairs or over snowballs to get to generic brawling. with the dodge it does kinda seem like god of war made acceptable for children.

hopefully it's just the e3 demo though. i still hold out hope going forwards. i like the character design and visuals. there's lots pf potential for interesting gameplay with the concept. they just haven't shown anything good yet.

StuBurns

Banned
By then this game will be buried by waves of popular releases. As a launch game this might sell because there isn't much choice yet. Much like Resistance did.
It's going to be buried day one. Watch Dogs, AC4, BF4, CoD:Ghost, KZ:SF, DriveClub, etc. Knack is going to be very low on the typical early adopter's shopping list I imagine. Unless they're a parent and just want a game they can play while the kids are around, and that will certainly be a healthy chunk of the audience, I guess we'll see.

This new footage has done nothing to change my mind. I love Knack's basic design, but outside of that I see nothing redeeming about this game.

It's so disappointing they couldn't come up with something better than this. I would have killed this project early on, or demanded an overhaul of the game design.

Top Bottom