• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knack Review Thread

kick51

Banned
I would say Hack and Slash is more suited to games like Musou.

DMC, Bayonetta, viewtiful joe and W101 are self proclaimed "Stylish action games"

That's my understanding as well.

Hack+slash - musuo/sengoku basara/games where you tear through 1000s of paper enemies

Beat em up - final fight/double dragon. but it means "fighting game" in PAL land, apparently.

Hardcore action game - The general reference to the dmc, ninja gaiden, god hand canon of awesome action games.

Stylish action game - one made by Kamiya.

fraudulent/ninja dog action game - NG3, GoW, GoW clones. No real depth and/or shitty mechanics. A big criticism, but hey, the GoW games have typically been worth a playthrough.

Hack+slash - musuo/sengoku basara/games where you tear through 1000s of paper enemies

Beat em up - final fight/double dragon. but it means "fighting game" in PAL land, apparently.

Hardcore action game - The general reference to the dmc, ninja gaiden, god hand canon of awesome action games.

imposter action game - NG3, GoW, GoW clones. No real depth and/or shitty mechanics.

yah.. Id kinda include Ninja gaiden (Black, Sigma whatever) in stylish action.

imposter action game - NG3, GoW, GoW clones. No real depth and/or shitty mechanics.

The entire genre is hack and slash is what I see it as. Theres just different subsets in it. How about beat em up's

The entire genre is hack and slash is what I see it as. Theres just different subsets in it. How about beat em up's

to some extent genre names are marketing vehicles. like the tales series
- Tales of Vesperia was RPG to Enforce "Justice" (「正義」を貫き通すRPG "Seigi" o tsuranukitōsu RPG)
- Tales of graces was Mamoru Tsuyosa o Shiru RPG (守る強さを知るRPG?, lit. "RPG to Know the Strength to Protect")

However there is a big distiction between games where you can do this and where you are stuck with this.

Another stylish action game (imho) is Redsteel 2 BTW.

DigitalOp

Banned
The last Assassin's Creed game I played was Brotherhood and you can't slam it for repetition all that much, there's plenty of variety within the game. You have a lot of optional generic missions (assassinations, following, pickpocketing etc), but you might not play them at all, but the unique content makes for a plenty diverse experience (story missions, da Vinci missions, Prince of Persia like caverns, girlfriend missions etc.). I heard the series took a nosedive from there, but Brotherhood definitely deserved its score.

Knack seems to suffer a ton of issues - lack of personality, repetition, very basic mechanics - yes the game appears to be functional and fairly polished on a technical level, but if it does nothing to pull the player in it, the review scores should reflect (as they do).

I can agree to this as well. I did play Brotherhood. The only Ass Creed I sat down to play mind you, and I loved the variety that was presented from the start of the game. As the series continued, I've seen it become stale but yet the scores wouldn't reflect such a decline thats very vocal amongst the gaming public.

I'll translate from the German review of Assassin's Creed on Gaming-Universe:

On the rating-site:
"Negativ: Gameplay in der Endlosschleife"
"Negative: Gameplay in an infinite loop"

From the closing comment:
"Man sollte sich aber im Klaren sein, dass das Missionsdesign enorm repetitiv ist und man nur, wenn man selbst kreativ ist, eine halbwegs abwechslungsreiche Spielerfahrung haben wird. "
"One should keep in mind that the mission design is enormously repetitive and only players who are playing in a creative way themselves will have a diverse experience"

Also a lot of criticism on the page before. I'm shure other reviews will have pointed these things out, too, I just remembered it for this review.

Thanks for this snippit. IMO With that review, you've shown me that one German reviewer far outclass' US counterparts in review quality. I like reviews being very concise and direct with their developed opinion.

He clearly states that if you don't alter your playstyle, you may find the game to be repetitive rather than outright flagging the game as repetitive as a whole.

I'll translate from the German review of Assassin's Creed on Gaming-Universe:

On the rating-site:
"Negativ: Gameplay in der Endlosschleife"
"Negative: Gameplay in an infinite loop"

From the closing comment:
"Man sollte sich aber im Klaren sein, dass das Missionsdesign enorm repetitiv ist und man nur, wenn man selbst kreativ ist, eine halbwegs abwechslungsreiche Spielerfahrung haben wird. "
"One should keep in mind that the mission design is enormously repetitive and only players who are playing in a creative way themselves will have a diverse experience"

Also a lot of criticism on the page before. I'm shure other reviews will have pointed these things out, too, I just remembered it for this review.
does any german use the word "repetitiv" normally?
Was this game designed according to the Cerny Method (tm)?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdlorIynne4

Kikujiro

It is interesting because they did the same thing with nba2k14 because of graphics (then found out they hated sports games), killzone (then found out there isn't much substance after the graphics), lauded the controller as the best thing ever and said the xbox one controller was shit (then I held it and found it to be more than acceptable), obviously cerny/knack combo of greatness, laughed at the xb1 for not having 3d playback but then didn't care when sony announced the same thing.

All in all pretty damn entertaining when taken over the long haul. Needless to say I learned quickly that anything said here needs to be taken with a shaker if not a basketful of salt. :)

They who?
You sound like a salty MS fanboy crying over other fanboys while you're just the same as them. I posted in two Knack thread and the majority of people were saying the game looked uninteresting, ugly and boring. I was one of them.

Daedardus

Does it really matter what the genre exactly is? If the game is good it's good, and not because it fits perfectly in a well thought-out box in your head. The same goes for when it's bad too.

Does it really matter what the genre exactly is? If the game is good it's good, and not because it fits perfectly in a well thought-out box in your head. The same goes for when it's bad too.

well the whole discussion started with people posting Mario gifs. you cant compare mario to knack (even if it was compared in the past) due to different genres.

if you want to compare knack to anything the lego games are probably the most fair comparison.

Daedardus

well the whole discussion started with people posting Mario gifs. you cant compare mario to knack (even if it was compared in the past) due to different genres.

I think comparing a game to make the deciding factor if it's good or not isn't a good idea. You just have to score a game first in a 'bubble', and if you think it's good you can start comparing it to see how good it is. To say Knack is bad because it isn't mario isn't a fair comparison I think. If it's bad it is because the game itself is bad.

I think comparing a game to make the deciding factor if it's good or not isn't a good idea. You just have to score a game first in a 'bubble', and if you think it's good you can start comparing it to see how good it is. To say Knack is bad because it isn't mario isn't a fair comparison I think. If it's bad it is because the game itself is bad.

thats kinda what i am saying too. mario is not like this game at all. and if there is a game that is remotely similar its lego.

i agree however that one should judge the game for itself.
The Vita is an amazing system. It's the software and marketing that's lacking. Hopefully that changes with the PS4 as more people will probably pick up Vitas for remote play.

i dont think vitas future lies in its ability to be an expensive accessory. the future of vita lies in its games.

stuff like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeHhE_psp60
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CrZVkBdCrc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ePoQPKCLNo

Cheech

Man, I was gonna keep this game for my kids, but then I watched the Giant Bomb Quicklook. I think they were overly kind in their assessment of it, because it reminded me of something you'd play on the N64 with better graphics. The design was overly simple and very old school, and not in a good way; it was borderline lazy. It was as though somebody made this game from a design document crafted in 1997.

I'm going to return it, as I can't justify keeping it even for the $40 I paid.

Narroo

Wait what?... Knack has been ridiculed left and right on neogaf for as long as i can remember... and now the press is joining on the bashing party, because unless the platforming game has "Mario" in the title then it reviews like fresh doo doo.

Well, I did play the demo today. It was kinda boring.

Oersted

lol, right? It's beyond ridiculous how some people tried to act like GAF was overhyping Knack in threads that barely reached 5-6 pages. Now the game is released, reviews are largely negative and there's at least 5 times more attention given that than the game itself ever received here. The Knack OT isn't even a third as long as this thread yet.

I dunno if he's defensive, but he ain't wrong either.

I guess it has something to with the person behind and how much he was celebrated for his impact on games^^

Cheech

I played the demo today, and I'm not returning it. Had plenty of fun with it playing on hard.

I played the demo as well, and it was fun. However, save yourself some cash and watch the Giant Bomb Quick Look. It gets super repetitive very, very quickly. Play that demo 10x in a row and that is essentially the same time spent with the full game.

That said, I'm not here to shit on anybody's parade. Just keep in mind that this title has zero longevity, and you will be fighting with yourself to finish it.

Ran rp

I played the demo as well, and it was fun. However, save yourself some cash and watch the Giant Bomb Quick Look. It gets super repetitive very, very quickly. Play that demo 10x in a row and that is essentially the same time spent with the full game.

That said, I'm not here to shit on anybody's parade. Just keep in mind that this title has zero longevity, and you will be fighting with yourself to finish it.

The story and art style remind me of cheesy Saturday morning cartoons and the gameplay looks like good simple fun, despite the repetitiveness. I'm down for the full ~10 hours.

I wouldn't buy it for more than $40 though.

Grinchy

Banned
The price on Amazon is getting driven down so low by the reviews/impressions. I took mine off the marketplace. I still have an ad up on Craigslist, but I might end up just keeping it. I still kinda wanna sell it for Tearaway though...

Number45

The price on Amazon is getting driven down so low by the reviews/impressions. I took mine off the marketplace. I still have an ad up on Craigslist, but I might end up just keeping it. I still kinda wanna sell it for Tearaway though...
Can't you just return it for a refund?

Z3M0G

Just watched the IGN playthrough they did for their live stream. Even listening to his complaints as he was playing, it still looked fun and enjoyable. I really don't think I'm going to dislike this game at all... in fact, I'm pretty confident I'm going to love it.

The reviewer's main complaint is that your size is never really under your own control. You are always grown of shrunk depending on the needs of the level at every given moment. I can get that... it doesn't have that true Katamari element where grow at will, and that's the main gameplay mechanic.

The main gameplay mechanic here seems to be combat... enemies look to be a blast to fight.

My own personal complaint, is when you smash a crate or something for "parts", they don't crumble from the object itself that you destroy... that was the real missed opportunity here. You should see the object shatter into that collection of "parts"... not just an object disappearing, and the parts suddenly streaming to you from a single point in space. Even R&C games pulled this off better, it seems.

The game looks like it should be fun for my GF and I to play together. I hope she enjoys it.

Number45

They'll probably take if off as the free game.
Ah, didn't realise it was a part of that deal. Still, I can't imagine everyone will be aware (or care) of the critical reception, as long as you undercut the retail price I'm sure it'll move.

I don't know, actually. I got it in the B2G1 free promotion, so I'd be surprised if they gave me money for a game that they already gave me for free. This would be an ideal option, though.
Perhaps they'll let you swap it for another?

prophecy0

thats kinda what i am saying too. mario is not like this game at all. and if there is a game that is remotely similar its lego.

i agree however that one should judge the game for itself.

i dont think vitas future lies in its ability to be an expensive accessory. the future of vita lies in its games.

stuff like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeHhE_psp60
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CrZVkBdCrc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ePoQPKCLNo

I agree completely, but if more people don't buy Vitas then devs won't make games for it. My hope is that the PS4 will help sell more Vitas, which will drive more devs to make Vita games.

Snaku

Banned

I only paid $22 for it with the Target b2g1, 30% off coupon, and employee discount. It'll be a nice diversion from my other launch titles, and something to play co-op with my girlfriend who's not a skilled gamer by any measure.

Bumhead

Banned
Just watched the IGN playthrough they did for their live stream. Even listening to his complaints as he was playing, it still looked fun and enjoyable.

Having a similar experience with the Giant Bomb Quick Look.

I think the game looks pretty neat. Repetitive, sure.. but it looks like something I'm probably going to have a good time with.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I agree completely, but if more people don't buy Vitas then devs won't make games for it. My hope is that the PS4 will help sell more Vitas, which will drive more devs to make Vita games.

Two things would have to happen.

1) More Vitas sell.
2) More Vita games sell.

If #1 happens but #2 does not, it won't matter.

kurbaan

Banned
Two things would have to happen.

1) More Vitas sell.
2) More Vita games sell.

If #1 happens but #2 does not, it won't matter.

I think Vita games have sold well proportionally to the number of consoles out. I think it has a good attach rate. The problem is system isn't selling so the max sales potential is limited.

GAF was overhyping Knack and tried to turn Cerny into a God/meme..

The man's accumulating failures for Sony. Vita, Knack and... PS4? We'll see about the last one..

The only time anyone on Gaf really praised KNACK was when Nintendo's graphics were in the conversation.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=688647

People couldn't stop praising Knack then.

But as technically impressive as it looked in motion

ibf6Qph1q2MlEV.gif

most people could tell the game was going to be a simple playing experience by the gameplay footage.

I still say Knack wishes it could be a 1/3rd of what W101 was with the whole elemental components. But then again I haven't read (or looked very hard) for reviews that played the game on a higher difficulty

I had 0 interest in this game but got it just because of the Amazon b2g1 free sale. I'm glad I bought it, fuck the reviews I've watched a few hours of it on twitch and it looks great.

TyrantII

It's as if Mario and Lego games don't exist. Reviewers aren't faulting it for not being the next TLOU, they're faulting it for paling in comparison to other games in the family genre.

Some are, some aren't; from what I'm reading it's all over the map.

I do honestly think the bar is set a bit higher being a first party Sony IP and being a launch title. Even reviewers are looking for those kill apps to sell these systems, and Knack doesn't appear to be it even if it is serviceable otherwise.

One thing I found weird is that every target within 50 miles of me has it out of stock. I grabbed Ghosts to trade in for Knack figuring the two stores near me that were out had them grabbed as placeholders for the 12th that would be returned qucikly.

Nope. Still no copies, and now the same story at all the targets within 50 miles. I didn't expect that...

lemmykoopa

Anyone else think the very low score reviews for this game are overly harsh after watching some streams? I've been watching the Shu Yoshida stream playing Knack for the past 20 minutes and it looks like a fun little game tbh.

Top Bottom