• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knack Review Thread

I'm like 4 levels (little less than half way?) in and the game is fun. Simple, but fun. If you enjoy those Lego games, you'd probably enjoy Knack.

If it means anything to anyone, I played those 4 levels straight in one sitting and I kind of forced myself to quit because it's time for bed... otherwise i could have kept going quite easily.

Those low low review scores are pretty unfair because while the game isn't for everyone, it is a game of some quality. 3/5 seems like it's about right.
I totally agree, the game is so fun.

Oersted

Lol, sorry guys. I admit that I was being a bit of an internet rascal on purpose. I knew that posting that image would produce a reaction but I didn't think it would result in responses like these.

A couple of Sony Gaffers kept comparing Knack to Mario, called Knack a plattformer... atleast some of them are now just hurt.

Kurtofan

A couple of Sony Gaffers kept comparing Knack to Mario, called Knack a plattformer... atleast some of them are now just hurt.

Wvj7YsJl.jpg

LAA

I cancelled my pre-order for this sadly as it seems £50 is quite a lot for a game I may not like, however hoping people will post here what they think of it. I love the likes of Spyro, Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, etc. so I hope I'll like Knack too, maybe get it cheaper though.

jrcbandit

I'm not sure if I should open my Amazon copy or return it (got it with buy 2 get 1 free). Decisions, decisions. I could use the funds instead for a PS Eye camera (not entirely sure of the benefit), or get the new Mario or Zelda 3ds game on the 22nd. Or I could try to quickly solve it and hope that it still has some resale value next week. I can't exactly start AC4 now that I have to wait on a frigging 1080p patch ;p.

I'm not sure if I should open my Amazon copy or return it (got it with buy 2 get 1 free). Decisions, decisions. I could use the funds instead for a PS Eye camera (not entirely sure of the benefit), or get the new Mario or Zelda 3ds game on the 22nd. Or I could try to quickly solve it and hope that it still has some resale value next week. I can't exactly start AC4 now that I have to wait on a frigging 1080p patch ;p.

Keep it, its great and Amazon will only refund you $39 for it.

Let's give it a few weeks. PS4 owners don't exactly have a lot of exclusives to play right now. Console launch is one of the few times I personally trust reviewers more than gamers

Odd launch is one of the times when I trust reviews even less than normal. Most if not all 'reviewed' these games via a limited amount of play either at the event or in the office. They are all rushing through the review process.

I am really enjoying it so far. I believe I am on Chapter 5. Yes, most of the environment is empty, and the platforming is mostly non-existent (minus a few sequences so far), but the story and cutscenes are quite engaging and graphically amazing (it really feels like an animated movie to me), and the combat feels relatively fluid. I will definitely be completing the game, and I'm sure I'll enjoy every minute of it.

It isn't a GOTY contender, or even close, but for a launch title, I'm impressed. It is absolutely worth it after a price drop or for those that got it in the B2G1 sales.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Odd launch is one of the times when I trust reviews even less than normal. Most if not all 'reviewed' these games via a limited amount of play either at the event or in the office. They are all rushing through the review process.

..yeah but user reviews will be tainted by nothing else to play, glitzy new graphics.. and people trying to convince themselves something is better than it really is.

Think of it this way. If Knack was 360/PS3 game, would anyone give a shit about it?

From streams I've watched and the reviews, it seems about as bland and basic of a platformer as you could possibly create.

I know people gave shit to the guy posting Mario 3D World up, but that shows there is still interesting ways to make a 3D platformer.. but Knack seems content on not innovating at all past the fancy glitzy main character.

If you want to compare it non-Mario games that have a family oriented slant they all offer something past the insipid action platforming gameplay... Lego with all the cool little building, characters, levels, unique gameplay elements due to license (Harry Potter, Star Wars, Batman, Marvel, etc). Skylanders or Infinity with the toys. Even Sonic at least switches up the gameplay at times to vary throughout the game.

What exactly does Knack do to make someone drop $60?

The reviews from users to start who bought it might be high, but let's see if they still enjoy the game in a week.

So comparing Knack (launch title) to the Mario game (which isn't out) is a thing now? Platformers in general are pretty bland. Would I buy a Wii U to play that Mario game, nope.

Most of the people who are getting Knack got it as part of a B1G1, B2G1, etc. The amount of people who actually paid $60 are probably pretty damn low.

I don't understand the "this looks like a ps+ game" like the quality of ps+ is a negative

Only tangentially related but I just haven't ever understood that statement about this game

Waiting for my system today anyway and my wife wants to play this

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Is Knack getting unfairly shit on?

I'm watching a twitch stream and it looks pretty fun... different enemy behaviors and types, and really pretty GFX.

And challenging in a good way.

ShogunX

Honestly the only reason Knack received the hype it did here on Neogaf is because it's not multi platform and Cerny is involved. It's looked mediocre since it's reveal, no doubt a bit of fun will be had with the game but I fail to see anything it offers that cant already be played on the PS3.

Oersted

So comparing Knack (launch title) to the Mario game (which isn't out) is a thing now? Platformers in general are pretty bland. Would I buy a Wii U to play that Mario game, nope.

Most of the people who are getting Knack got it as part of a B1G1, B2G1, etc. The amount of people who actually paid $60 are probably pretty damn low.

Junior, you must be new here. For everything else, read my post above.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I don't understand the "this looks like a ps+ game" like the quality of ps+ is a negative

Only tangentially related but I just haven't ever understood that statement about this game

Waiting for my system today anyway and my wife wants to play this

PS+ despite having some great gems, also has been home to a lot of fluff games to pad it out. Most of those are PSN games, not retail... so basically what people mean is it feels like a PSN game.. not retail.

Honestly the only reason Knack received the hype it did here on Neogaf is because it's not multi platform and Cerny is involved. It's looked mediocre since it's reveal, no doubt a bit of fun will be had with the game but I fail to see anything it offers that cant already be played on the PS3.

I've said it before, but if this was a PS3 game this topic would have been a page or 2 tops.. and even then only because it was 1st part. If it was 3rd party and 360/PS3.. we wouldn't even have a review thread.

Is Knack getting unfairly shit on?

I'm watching a twitch stream and it looks pretty fun... different enemy behaviors and types, and really pretty GFX.

And challenging in a good way.

I have to admit out of all the streams, watching Knack streams are my favourite because

1) the person playing is usually someone not so good at gaming like girlfriend, family member or a mate
2) couch co-op
3) hard mode is probably harder than most games coming out this fall.

Some guys did a HD stream and I have to say it is a pretty game, especially that lake level. Vibrant colours, clean IQ, this game could of been something even more special if they focused much more on the platforming or made the areas larger for exploration and taken away the fixed camera. Its clear they are going the RandC route and so the latter would of been better imo.

Lol, sorry guys. I admit that I was being a bit of an internet rascal on purpose. I knew that posting that image would produce a reaction but I didn't think it would result in responses like these.

Comon, now. Im hyped for 3d world, but this is uncalled for. Id like to read gaf without this fan war, going back and forth. Ps4 will get some amazing games. It just launched.

Knack 2 is going to blow some damn minds.

I honestly am tempted to agree if this sells well enough to warrant a sequel. The story seems interesting (so far, anyways), and the bare bones mechanics are there. Everything just needs fleshed out somewhat.

At least the game isn't janky. The graphics are gorgeous, it is a perfect Remote Play title to just play for awhile in bed, and I love the concept of Knack (the character).

galvatron

The bad review saying that it was a throwback to punishing platformers just made me more interested in the game than ever. Thought it was just a rachet and clank type game...

Jak140

Those low low review scores are pretty unfair because while the game isn't for everyone, it is a game of some quality. 3/5 seems like it's about right.
3/5 = 60/100. The metacritic average is 59/100. Seems like, at least score-wise, the average review is near dead on.

fizzgigg

Banned
So Im playing the game on Hard and I will say its fun and frustrating at the same time only because I rage sometimes I will say it can be difficult on hard so if youre like dude this game is easy then play it on hard.
The animation is amazing, I love the particle effects very bright and vibrant
The music is pretty good reminds me of old spyro
The story line is cheesy and kind of bland.
The voice acting is ehh alright.
Game play mechanics are interesting although Where are the secrets there will be one part where oh well thats obviously a secret other part were its like uhh where is a secret.

Either you haven't played many platformers, or you've been playing the wrong ones. You're absolute refusal to purchase Nintendo hardware suggests the latter.

Oersted

Comon, now. Im hyped for 3d world, but this is uncalled for. Id like to read gaf without this fan war, going back and forth. Ps4 will get some amazing games. It just launched.
One out of many

ACIT which was made by Insomniac (not first party, but exclusive) is one of the best games of the generation.
2- This is not purely a platformer.
Knack looks much creative than the generic new 3D Mario that Nintendo showed at E3.

So far the game is a lot of fun. Oh well.

Seriously. Very Old school and simple but fun and challenging.

In some ways It feels very much like the First Dark Cloud. Dark Cloud had a lot of good ideals and a good setting, that didn't get fully realized until the sequel.

The REV3 review is spot on.

padlock

I've played until 3-1, and so far, I'm really glad I decided to ignore the reviews and keep the game. I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Darksol

Just finished the ice level and got my way into
the goblin town.
Scenery outdoors is purty, and I love smashing me
some robots and hulked out goblins

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Absolutely disagree with these bad scores. If you had any interest in this game prior to the reviews, do yourself a favor and act on them.

Hawk269

I was going to pass on this game, but decided to go for it with the Toys R Us Deal where you buy 3 games you get a $50.00 Gift card. I think that the game is pretty impressive. Yes, there are some simplistic plat forming in the game, but visually it is very nice and there are some parts where there is no way it could be done on current consoles.

The game has some charm to it and like someone said above the cut-scenes are very well done. I would heavily recommend you play this game on hard. I started out on Normal and it was just way too easy. I am not that great of a gamer, so there are going to be some trial and error to figure out how to beat some of the more challenging fights, but normal seemed a little too easy and had not had to re-try any portion and that is when I decided to change it to hard.

It also has a unique community feature...there are certain items that you find, collectibles that give you some stat bonuses and other benefits. The cool thing is that if you have someone on your friends lists is also play the game and has unlocked the same box, but found a different item, you can choose to activate your friends items instead of the one that you found. It is something very unique that seemed really neat. There are some items, where you have to find all the parts to get 100% benefit of whatever the stat bonus is, so there is that "gotta find em all" thing going as well, which for a game like this is a cool addition.

I am only into chapter 3 and am pretty damned impressed as is my fiancé. How many chapters are there btw?

Don't skip out on this game...if you like old school type of games, this is a great one!

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
I have a 4 year old boy and he is in love with this game. He even said loud "this game is awesome!" And he is playing it all by himself on easy. The wife and I are watching TV while he is in my gaming area eating it up. I only got to play the tutorial, he is hours into the game. :( It looks fun anyway!

$400 purchase vindicated for the pure fun he is having. After he falls asleep tonight maybe I will be able to play the system...

Tulerian

I've never understood the Nintendo hype, and the sales statistics for DS and 3DS are unreal in Japan. I've got Nintendo and Sony systems, and I must say that I find it amusing why a lot of people rate Nintendo games so high and Sony's so low.

I don't buy in to hype generated by reviews or posts by users. A good review or recommendation might sway me to buy a game and try it, however my personal opinion will always be based on my own experiences though.

I'd rate Ratchet and Clank just as high as Zelda from my own tastes and experience of playing the games. Though some on each series would rate higher than others. I just like the humour and style more.

Knack from what I've seen would deserve a try, and my 4 year old would no doubt enjoy it even more. Some of the review scores are ridiculous judging by what I've seen, and when did reviewers stop reviewing games based on target audiences? Of course the FPS crowd won't necessarily rate a game aimed at casual/family members appropriately, especially when basing it off of their own tastes.

Reviewers, please try to base your articles towards the intended target audiences...

Jac

Neo Member
I was dismayed when I heard the bad reviews on this game, but I have seen a lot of people disagreeing with the reviews. I am once again looking forward to getting my hands on this game.
I've never understood the Nintendo hype, and the sales statistics for DS and 3DS are unreal in Japan. I've got Nintendo and Sony systems, and I must say that I find it amusing why a lot of people rate Nintendo games so high and Sony's so low.

I don't buy in to hype generated by reviews or posts by users. A good review or recommendation might sway me to buy a game and try it, however my personal opinion will always be based on my own experiences though.

I'd rate Ratchet and Clank just as high as Zelda from my own tastes and experience of playing the games. Though some on each series would rate higher than others. I just like the humour and style more.

Knack from what I've seen would deserve a try, and my 4 year old would no doubt enjoy it even more. Some of the review scores are ridiculous judging by what I've seen, and when did reviewers stop reviewing games based on target audiences? Of course the FPS crowd won't necessarily rate a game aimed at casual/family members appropriately, especially when basing it off of their own tastes.

Reviewers, please try to base your articles towards the intended target audiences...

Frankly, I think it's just because Nintendo IPs are so strongly established. Mario, Zelda, and Metroid have been with us since the NES. There is a lot of nostalgia there.

(._.)

Banned
LMAO @ the GI review. That publication is practically sponsored by publishers and will put a high number on any piece of shit.

Top Bottom