• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KOF 14 Steam prepurchase is up

Gren

Online works great when it works. Tons of Random freezing.

How's the port itself? Offline framerate, crashes, etc?

I normally don't preorder but if you get instant access to pretty much the full game, then I'll bite if it's competent.

BadWolf

Fun fact, Ángel is a male name in Mexico. And speaking of Mexico, this game is super cheap in Mexico! I'm going deluxe because of that.

Here's a fun story behind her creation:

It's mentioned very often that due to her physical appearance and Mexican roots, the creation of Angel from The King of Fighters 2001 came about due to a bet between collaborators of EVOGA and SNK. What can you tell us about this?

[...]

The first time we travelled to Japan we were taken to an arcade place called Neo Geo Land, with the goal of putting us against some of the SNK staff in KoF 98 (something we weren't aware of), the saddest thing about this was that SNK's staff got bodied pretty hard and this caused some annoyances at SNK. The second time we travelled to Japan and at the end of a meeting that decided the development of Rage of the Dragons for SNK, Angel Torres [CEO of EVOGA, a company that helped during the development of RotD], who was the person who beat the SNK staff, was challenged to KoF 98 (again) and if he lost he had to let SNK design a character for our game RotD and also our then-boss would have to pay 5,000 dollars to the president of BrezzaSoft [another company involved in the development of RotD]. In the end, the match was on but these weren't the same players that Angel defeated in Neo Geo Land, this time they brought two of KoF's programmers and KoF 2001's official designer, whom were the three best KoF players at SNK. How the fight ended... well, you tell me, there's a character who first appeared in KoF 2001 whose name is Angel, she's Mexican and likes tacos (hahaha). But Angel looks nothing like the KoF girl.

How's the port itself? Offline framerate, crashes, etc?

I normally don't preorder but if you get instant access to pretty much the full game, then I'll bite if it's competent.

No crashes here. But there is something that I forgot to mention. Offline in training mode, for whatever reason, the game speeds up animation at random intervals. The FPS still read 60 while it was doing this.

Using a Nvidia 870m.

Finaika

No crashes here. But there is something that I forgot to mention. Offline in training mode, for whatever reason, the game speeds up animation at random intervals. The FPS still read 60 while it was doing this.

Using a Nvidia 870m.

That's better than slowdowns at least.

Gren

Using a Nvidia 870m.

Thanks for the impressions. At the times that it happens does it impact gameplay in any way (i.e. combo timing), or does it only happen during cinematic sequences?

Thanks for the impressions. At the times that it happens does it impact gameplay in any way (i.e. combo timing), or does it only happen during cinematic sequences?

Combo timing. Didn't occur when I was playing online at all. Vsync didnt help at all.

Yudoken

I'm glad it's on pc now but I didn't expect them to sell it for over 40€ for the game + dlc characters and some costumes.

We'll, maybe later for me in a big sale.

Loona

I already have this on PS4, but I'll probably get it for the artbook, since none was available with pre-orders here in Europe.

Fun fact, Ángel is a male name in Mexico. And speaking of Mexico, this game is super cheap in Mexico! I'm going deluxe because of that.

Fitting for a company whose first fighting game female is called King, and whom later would call a male sub-boss Adelheid, which is more of a female name.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What's the difference with the Steam Edition?

kofxiv_steam_edition.jpg

El Sabroso

Then why bother adding the word Steam? I am only afraid that they cut some content.

they have uses the Steam Edition wording for previous KOF titles, none of them have any problem or cut content from the console version, don't worry man

sibarraz

Banned
The game is already on the top sellers list in steam, and I doubt that the port was expensive to do, so I guess that SNK will be fine with the sales of this game.

Maybe in USA the game is dead, but in asia and latin america the game is still going strong

Finaika

The game is already on the top sellers list in steam, and I doubt that the port was expensive to do, so I guess that SNK will be fine with the sales of this game.

Maybe in USA the game is dead, but in asia and latin america the game is still going strong

USA has bad taste.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Tell that to DOA5. They cut stages and some features.

That's because the PC version is based on the arcade/PS3/360 versions. They didn't remove content...those versions never had the extra stages and visual effects to begin with.

Koei Tecmo puts out lazy and/or shitty PC ports. This is SNK and they always do a good job.

sibarraz

Banned
That's because the PC version is based on the arcade/PS3/360 versions. They didn't remove content...those versions never had the extra stages and visual effects to begin with.

Koei Tecmo puts out lazy and/or shitty PC ports. This is SNK and they always do a good job.

Except when they outsource the neo geo games to dotemu

Momentary

Banned
So turning off dpi scaling by right clicking and going into the game's exe properties fixes the resolution issue.

1495200306_1059248637.jpg

8K downsampled to 1080p.

The game is easily downsampled on current hardware. I fell like a 1060 could probably do 4K with this game.

Dali

The online so far has been pretty bad for me. Also as someone who has been away from snk games for a while a decent training mode would be nice.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
The game crashes on startup when I try playing it on my GPD WIN and Surface Pro 4. Both when it's trying to load data at the start.

I see plenty of others reporting this problem right now.

Gren

So turning off dpi scaling by right clicking and going into the game's exe properties fixes the resolution issue.

8K downsampled to 1080p.

The game is easily downsampled on current hardware. I fell like a 1060 could probably do 4K with this game.

Wait, say what? Sorry, but could you please elaborate? Is this done via a switch command in the Steam launch options? Because I can't find anything relating to dpi scaling via the Windows properties or my video card's per-game profile options.

Spade

Double dipped and bought the deluxe edition on Steam. Asked for a PC version, got a PC version :)

Can't wait to try out the beta when it finishes downloading.

Momentary

Banned
Wait, say what? Sorry, but could you please elaborate? Is this done via a switch command in the Steam launch options? Because I can't find anything relating to dpi scaling via the Windows properties or my video card's per-game profile options.

Right click the KOFXIV.exe file. Check the box to turn off DPI scaling. There was an update today though... So they could have fixed this issue already.

RM8

Online is kind of... okay. I can't complain, it's way better than KOFXIII, but I've had some slow motion matches. It seems to disconnect less than SFV, but then SFV has a massive problem with disconnects. Sadly there's not a lot of people playing yet (I mean, the game hasn't launched yet) - I want to try the 6 players mode!

8K downsampled to 1080p.

That looks clean.

Glad I recently got this on PS4 for cheap though.

I understand Steam has a sale currently but I didn't expect $60 for a near year old game.

Yaqoub

Game runs great except for one thing: the game randomly stutters. I couldn't pick up a pattern.

Anyone else having this issue as well?

Dante83

Banned
That japan stage on a capable PC looks so much better without the buildings at the back being blurred out like on the ps4. I thought that it was a mediocre stage on ps4, but on pc, it looks good.

It's a good game but looks like crap. Even with the visual enhancement patch, not easy on the eyes. Looks aren't everything but tons of quality fighters out now. Hard to pay full price on the Steam version especially if it's a double dip. The game looks like crap.
I strongly disagree with this. Sure the 3D visuals are something of a compromise compared to the 2D art of KoF XIII, and have a slight 'last gen' tint that's hard to quantity (maybe the lighting?), but I actually really like the graphics here.
Characters are well modelled, proportioned, cleanly textured, animate beautifully and look a million times more aesthetically pleasing than the grotesque deformities of SFV, in all their severely clipping, ugly, badly modelled hair, ridiculous subsurface scattered translucency. The backgrounds, while not quite up to SNK's glory years, still shit on SFV's from a nassive height too.

Tizoc

I strongly disagree with this. Sure the 3D visuals are something of a compromise compared to the 2D art of KoF XIII, and have a slight 'last gen' tint that's hard to quantity (maybe the lighting?), but I actually really like the graphics here.
Characters are well modelled, proportioned, cleanly textured, animate beautifully and look a million times more aesthetically pleasing than the grotesque deformities of SFV, in all their severely clipping, ugly, badly modelled hair, ridiculous subsurface scattered translucency. The backgrounds, while not quite up to SNK's glory years, still shit on SFV's from a nassive height too.
Both tekken and guilty gear xrd are releasing soon and are looking much better than kof 14

I'm glad it's on pc now but I didn't expect them to sell it for over 40€ for the game + dlc characters and some costumes.

We'll, maybe later for me in a big sale.
Yea I can't believe the price. Makes no sense to buy this instead of Tekken for me, especially since they're releasing it same day as consoles. That's the kind of support worthy of $60

Yea I can't believe the price. Makes no sense to buy this instead of Tekken for me, especially since they're releasing it same day as consoles. That's the kind of support worthy of $60

I know I shouldn't even comment on posts about this, but I really would like someone to explain the logic behind this to me.

Yes, T7 is releasing on PC/consoles at the same time which is great but the game is actually a full year older than KOF XIV.

Both games released first on a different platform, primarily because of marketing support (and balancing). T7 on arcade because Bandai Namco are still a juggernaut of the arcade industry and KOF XIV on PS4 because SNK has a great relationship with Sony.

A game's price really shouldn't be decided by age, but by quality and content unless we are talking about an actual legacy title.

Finaika

SFV stay loosing.

Top Bottom