• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koji Productions Death Stranding is an open world action game, has online elements

Piers

That gives a blow to my hopes. Was hoping smaller team would lead to Kojima making a smaller, tightly designed game with a tight narrative and setting.

Kojima should stop hunting that big, best western-style game ideal he's been after these days. Guess it's an outgrowth of his Hollywood obsession?!

I agree with both. If anything I'd wish Kojima would make a game in style of Gone Home/Ethan Carter/Obduction. Simple but to the point.
P.T. Concentrated everything great about Kojima and MGSV felt like it stretched everything out thin by comparison.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I can happily accept that FC has really nice controls but Watch Dogs having better controls than GTAV is something i simply cannot accept.
Most of Ubisofts games have interesting space but still it feels empty to me because there is nothing special i can do. It's the same thing again and again for the most part of the games and that's pretty tiring and boring.
Stealth is literally impossible in GTA, let alone doing stuff like moving over in-game geometry quickly, something like this would require three times the amount of time to do in GTAV, and you wouldn't even look good doing it.
7kX.gif

Not to mention the lack of input lag or animation priority
nprbpihhejbpnrmqqvla.gif

And the fact that Ubisoft's prioritizes player agency quite a bit more than Rockstar, (especially in main missions which are incredibly scripted in GTAV) despite Rockstar putting lots of emergent gameplay, but that on foot emergent gameplay doesn't exactly feel super good to control outside the vehicles.
This is Far Cry
This is AC
this is WD

You think it's a coincidence that the default aiming mode in GTAV is incredibly sticky auto aim? The jack of all trades approach to GTAV gameplay is more a detriment compared to a focused title.

I am 100% with you about the rebels but only when on free roam. Tanks, units and rebels patroling between the camps and bases mixed with other ideas i've read this whole time would make it so much more interesting and better.

Many people say that GZ is the best map and i agree at some level, but the lack of serious equipment in the beginning of the mission is boosting the good design of the map and people seem to forget that. If you try the GZ mission with mods that make your rifle a silenced tranquilizer you'll see that it's easier and uninteresting.
But the point is more GZ style maps would've been better than a full open world in the context of MGSV. The fun part comes from when you're inside and close to the bases, not the distance in between. As that's where the emergent gameplay comes in way more than occasionally seeing two guards walking down the road or occasionally seeing an animal.

I would like to see another open world game by Kojima without him having trouble with his publisher. At least he gets the feedback from the players and he might I have learned from his mistakes with MGSV.
I absolutely hope so.

Personally I find Ubisoft's open worlds often great looking but so incredibly static and with little interactivity outside of climbing stuff. The gameplay mechanics rarely take full advantage of the settings offered but that's almost a whole other point to be made.
I'd recommend watching the three videos posted above as this is absolutely false. :)

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Kinda sounds to me like he wants to give a greater emphasis on story, cooperative and collaborative elements to drive the gameplay loop, but maybe not in a traditional way.

What I mean is, maybe he wants to try and force the players to work for one another instead for themselves, so whatever the moment to moment gameplay loop is (kill enemies, gather resources, crafting, exploration, solving puzzles, finishing quests/missions), the results and benefits are shared or even completely given to other players. Leveling up or getting items, gear etc. would then be dependent on what other people do, so it's not you that finds/unlocks/buys a gun or helmet but you are given these items depending on how productive you were (so you don't have direct control), how beneficial you were to everyone else (communist gameplay?! :) ).

Maybe even a little twist on rouge-lite elements, other players inherit your progression unlocks/experience/gear after you die, or maybe even body swap etc.

The players are all connected by gameplay threads, umbilical cords that tie one another, share and inherit the experiences towards a common goal.

This sounds really cool but I doubt it will be that deep.

DMONKUMA

MCmNgPB.jpg

From the various Kojima subreddits.

It's hard to say what the online will be like. I can see it being like Peace Walker's traditional co-op, The Division's more drop-in/drop-out multiplayer, or even something as community-driven as MGSV's FOB nuke disarmament. It's so early, and there are many possibilities, but this is one thing I hope is expanded upon a bit at TGS!

I was expected it would be like souls multiplayer especially if the game is about hunting people/beings.

But if this rumor is true this game sounds like sotc, dark souls, with a bit of monster hunter in a mech/horror setting. Which sounds pretty cool...

I was expected it would be like souls multiplayer especially if the game is about hunting people/beings.

But if this rumor is true this game sounds like sotc, dark souls, with a bit of monster hunter in a mech/horror setting. Which sounds pretty cool...

Ah! The leak? I posted it in here but haven't read anything from it. Souls multiplayer would be perfect, especially in tandem with the concept of being stranded. MGSV made something of an attempt at Souls multiplayer with FOB, but with the combination of FOB insurance and a player base that lost its drive to engage in FOB invasions relatively early on.

Ah! The leak? I posted it in here but haven't read anything from it. Souls multiplayer would be perfect, especially in tandem with the concept of being stranded. MGSV made something of an attempt at Souls multiplayer with FOB, but with the combination of FOB insurance and a player base that lost its drive to engage in FOB invasions relatively early on.

I actually got into the FOB stuff early on. I was addicted for about a month.

Breads

Banned
I recognize everyone but the last person in the image and I doubt it's Junji Ito.

Still though. Dat greasy heart <3

Kojima will show all of the game by late 2018.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. I want developers to show off as much of their game as they can and provide as much detail as possible. No one is being forced to keep up with the game, let alone consume all of its pre-release material, and being informed is never a bad thing. Besides, he's always showed off alot of his games. Hasn't stopped any of them from being great.

September 18 seems so far away.

Truly. I hope he brings more sketches to the show!

@KojiPro2015_EN
Straight from the event: Death Stranding will feature a new form of co-op play but will of course be fully playable in single player.
Death Stranding's casting is still under way... Will there be a heroine? Who should play her?
Yes, Death Stranding has a set release date. Duh, how else would we be able to set a budget?
Before the Tokyo Olympic Games.
Before the new Akira.

____

Sounds like he took a jab at Metal Gear Survive (after being asked about it) but that's from what I think I heard on the stream lol.

That concept sounds amazing.

- They are using other dev's engine that's not available to anyone else. They will be developing and sharing new tech with the dev.

- There will be come sorta robots in the game.

- Also they are aiming to release the game around 2018.

- Kojima and Shinkawa have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with MG Survive.

JackelZXA

Sounds like he took a jab at Metal Gear Survive (after being asked about it) but that's from what I think I heard on the stream lol.

yeah someone in the stream (i assume they were rough-translating for people) said that his comment was basically a snide comment about how Metal Gear was about Espionage, not Zombies. Everyone blew up into OH SHIT KOJIMA JUST SICK BURNED KONAMI after that.

____

yeah someone in the stream (i assume they were rough-translating for people) said that his comment was basically a snide comment about how Metal Gear was about Espionage, not Zombies. Everyone blew up into OH SHIT KOJIMA JUST SICK BURNED KONAMI after that.

Ahh ok that explains it lol. I don't know the language but heard the woman ask about it and Kojimas response made the crowd laugh. Then a few scones later I heard "zombies" and more laughter.

Thanks for clearing that up.

JackelZXA

Ahh ok that explains it lol. I don't know the language but heard the woman ask about it and Kojimas response made the crowd laugh. Then a few scones later I heard "zombies" and more laughter.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Yeah i also picked up on him saying Espionage. I'm no translator but I heard some of dat english.

DMONKUMA

New details sounds good. Make this a great weird-ass game with some great action gameplay....with mecha yes please.

Elios83

So they have chosen the engine and it's not something commercially available.
So not UE4 or similar.
Seems like Kojima is using a Sony engine.
Chances are high that he's using the Guerrilla Horizon engine imo,given how they're doing an open world game with it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So they have chosen the engine and it's not something commercially available.
So not UE4 or similar.
Seems like Kojima is using a Sony engine.
Chances are high that he's using the Guerrilla Horizon engine imo,given how they're doing an open world game with it.

Wasn't there something in the previous thread suggesting it was Sucker Punch's engine?

Me too. Engaged with it more than the real online that came later personally.
It was part of my mgsv loop, get dirty over the top revenge on someone, then play some missions.

- They are using other dev's engine that's not available to anyone else. They will be developing and sharing new tech with the dev.

- There will be come sorta robots in the game.

- Also they are aiming to release the game around 2018.

- Kojima and Shinkawa have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with MG Survive.

Heard rumors that that engine may be a modified version of the sucker punch engine

This is definitely the next TLG,VersusXIII.

Why they announced 6 to 7 years prior to release is beyond me...

Wow, such knowledge of how the game's development is going to be even though it's barely out of preproduction/still in. /s

Sarcasm aside, Hideo Kojima is one of those creators who has very strong media interest of what his project is, and it ultimately is a 50:50 thing on vanishing 2-3 years before reappearing to announce it, satisfying those who wants to see the project in a more ready-state and seeing the whole vision of Kojima without having to wait too long... or announcing it early and getting it out there, satisfying the immediate interest of fans who want to know what the next project is, and allowing Kojima to continue be a figure that can be vocal about his intent/interest of his project.

As long as one can separate out the annoyance of the fact that DS will have a long cycle of bite-sized news without much content in it and acknowledge it's years away, then that's fine, no? Ultimately we'll have to wait a long time.

Elios83

Wasn't there something in the previous thread suggesting it was Sucker Punch's engine?

I don't know, I missed that.
But the Guerrilla engine seems way more advanced and still ideal for open world games so I'm not sure why Kojima would choose the SP engine also knowing that the guy likes cutting edge technology.

I don't know, I missed that.
But the Guerrilla engine seems way more advanced and still ideal for open world games so I'm not sure why Kojima would choose the SP engine also knowing that the guy likes cutting edge technology.

"seems"

We have no idea behind the intricacies or depth of each game engine to be able to really say that. Plus we have not seen how Sucker Punch might had evolved the engine since Second Son. For all we know, SP's new project completely blows Guerilla's away in terms of visuals.

NoFoX

"seems"

We have no idea behind the intricacies or depth of each game engine to be able to really say that. Plus we have not seen how Sucker Punch might had evolved the engine since Second Son. For all we know, SP's new project completely blows Guerilla's away in terms of visuals.
Which is (SP's new project)?

Top Bottom