• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koji Productions Death Stranding is an open world action game, has online elements

...No? Alienous doesn't suggest or imply that at all.

I appreciate the defense but in the interest of full disclosure I was a little bit, haha.

RihannaGif6.gif

Dy_Cy

It's a bit sad that people think that open world can only be done one way. Open world is a tool, not a finality.

xviper

did he learn anything from MGS V?? it's my second best game of the generation but to be honest, it has one of the worst open world i have ever seen, empty, shallow, with very limited resources to collect, he could have made MGS V one of the best games of all time if he made it linear with that insanely good gameplay

ViciousDS

Banned
It was discussed in the original Death Stranding thread, but for those who don't know, it looks to be running on the Sucker Punch engine!

Interesting. I wonder if it has a lot of similarities to the Fox Engine, or just that it's the most viable engine to be used in an open world setting.

Actually, this makes me quite excited for Sucker Punch's next game. I like the Infamous series, but I'd quite like to see them make something new.

MGSV's "open world" was really bad and a great example of how not to do it, just like Ubisoft's "open worlds".

Quite disappointed to hear about it going to be another open world game.

A while ago someone on GAF posted this video and it's a great video on what many "open world" games nowadays get wrong and the games that got it right. "A Love Letter to GOTHIC's Open World Design".

V's open world is a joke-

It's a wasteland with not even a single interesting spot to see.

Agreed, more towers and collectables plz!

Nah, as far as I'm concerned, it's one of the best. Playing it, it felt like the world was built around each mission, so they all felt like well designed levels just by themselves. Contrast that with your typical open world where they feel like they built the world first and then threw a bunch of missions into it.

ViciousDS

Banned
MGSV is one of the best open world games because the "open world" is the least significant. It's mainly just a background to the level and the gameplay takes center stage.

its walking and driving filler to make the game feel like it has more content......it was unnecessary

MGSV is one of the best open world games because the "open world" is the least significant. It's mainly just a background to the level and the gameplay takes center stage.

I felt like this as well. I really enjoyed traversing to each mission, especially when you do a couple in a row and stay out on the field for days at a time.

SomTervo

I *really* don't understand why they have him on stage if he can't talk about the game in any kind of detail beyond vague concepts.

I'd rather have media silence and wait than get blue balled every time Kojima decides to show up at a conference.

Yeah, the game probably won't be out for four years. Why would you bother talking about it so much now when it's just a nebulous pre-alpha?

Nah, as far as I'm concerned, it's one of the best. Playing it, it felt like the world was built around each mission, so they all felt like well designed levels just by themselves. Contrast that with your typical open world where they feel like they built the world first and then threw a bunch of missions into it.

I agree. It was refreshing to not have a Ubi style open world full of busywork with tons of pointless collectables and animals jumping at your feet every 5 m.

I imagine Afghanistan is like that. Dusty, lots of rocks and emptiness, a few camps here and there, and the odd animal. The open world was there so you could come up with tons of attack and escape plans.

That said, Death Stranding could be something completely different. We know nothing about its open world but people are already jumping to conclusions.

If you don't like V's boring wasteland then it means that you like Ubisoft's open worlds, gotcha.

Please explain all the walking, riding things, driving in this game to start missions.

Phamit

Next week Kojima is going to reveal that Death Stranding is going to have multiple non-playable Charakters

Couldn't they wait until the Game is at least 2 years into development? The hype Kojima gets because he left Konami is absurd

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
My point was, given how Kojima lambasted his team for trying (and failing) to branch out into a new genre (with Metal Gear Rising, having such little faith that he gave the game to another developer) I'm really critical of how Death Stranding will come together.

That was without his involvement though.

"Story, world, and games are all connected by threads".
Open world game with online elements

So it's partially an online game? For some reason the first thing that came to mind was The Division. Could be like the online stuff in the From Software games.

At this point they should just hold off information until they have something to actually show. Everything is so vague.

Is that how we're referring to the way Konami treated its staff?

No? Have i said anything of the sorts?
They gave him years and an almost unlimited budget for a franchise that doesn't sell all that well and he couldn't even finish it.

I'd kick him out in a heartbeat (again not condoning the way they handled it). i have a feeling the honeymoon phase with Sony will be over sooner than later.

They gave him years and an almost unlimited budget for a franchise that doesn't even sell all that well and he couldn't even finish it.

What didn't he finish? One mission that was allegedly planned to be DLC, which has yet to be released, if that's what you're referring to? But yes, blame him for not "finishing" the game when Konami had been scheming at every turn to break down the "MGSV experience" into an endless, annual/multi-part release (between GZ, TPP, Survive, and whatever's next).

Lucifon

Disappointed really, I feel Kojima excels at linear games. Honestly shocked by some of the love MGS5 got, I felt the open world was drab and dull, with nothing to do but repetitive missions and constantly resetting enemies. The gameplay elements were great, but the world it took place in and lack of drive to progress completely killed any enjoyment of the game for me.

Kazuhira

Who's the one on the far right in that pic?
emm.still not sure about open world tbh,his perfectionism is a double-edged sword with large scale games.
Well,good luck Kojima and i hope you can pull it off this time.

CHC

I *really* don't understand why they have him on stage if he can't talk about the game in any kind of detail beyond vague concepts.

I'd rather have media silence and wait than get blue balled every time Kojima decides to show up at a conference.

I like Kojima as much as the next guy but it seems like this is just going to be a long and kind of exhausting development process for this game. It seems like it's far too public at this point and I have a hard time believing he's doing much more than just announcing whatever ideas they discuss, rather than (like you said) just keeping it quiet until there is actually something to show.

hemo memo

Gold Member
So it's partially an online game? For some reason the first thing that came to mind was The Division. Could be like the online stuff in the From Software games.

At this point they should just hold off information until they have something to actually show. Everything is so vague.

I think online elements as in NMS online elements or like you said From Software games.

CHC

But that is just MGSV, in fact the exact same areas are just used again and again for missions that could have been generated by an agorithim - "extract the prisoner," "kill the target." There is no context whatsoever, every area is just a different military base with guards standing around waiting for something.

And the world is so dead! For a supposed battlefield, where is the conflict? Where are the dead bodies, the burned buildings, the civilians and rebels we hear about? It's just an occupying force standing around doing nothing al day.

I think there's a lot of great visual detail and yeah some of the bases are fun to infiltrate, but it needed a lot more time in the cooker to be fleshed out absence given depth.

Alienous

Building a new game engine, 5 years of development time (from Peace Walker) and a new studio in LA isn't cheap. MGSV can be profitable and have wasted money.

Then you have to consider that Konami also had to scrap Rising and hire another developer to make that game. Konami's actions regarding Kojima Productions are understandable.

Oh God. I enjoyed playing MGSV quite a bit but his open world design was pretty crap and a bore to get around

Also damn I was really hoping this would be a horror game after PT/Silent Hills :(

Anung

Un Rama
Open world? Hype deflated. Unless they learned from MGSV how bland, barren and superfluous their open world is and improve on it.

mortal

Gold Member
I love Kojima, I really do, but there barely seems to be a game here. It's probably al least 3 years out, if all's going well.

I rather have some actual gameplay to chew on, than a general concept :/

Also I was hoping that we see a more tight level designed approach, but oh well.

Top Bottom