• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima: The Phantom Pain will be 300 times bigger than Ground Zeroes

Kojima has said that GZ is the prologue to MGSV, so the analogy to the Tanker in MGS2 seems appropriate to me. Konami also mentioned they would release a smaller MGS game before MGSV so it's just probably GZ. If it's going to be a DD or physical disc it's anyone's guess.
GZ is probably a much smaller sandbox featuring many of the gameplay elements and graphics of MGSV. It reminds me of GT Prologue :lol

Endo Punk

Is it confirmed that they are going to be sold separately? I was under the impression that GZ was just the prologue of TPP, a la Tanker in MGS2 and Virtuous mission in MGS3

Looks to me like Konami wants it out sooner thus Kojima treating them as separate experiences.

Is there an estimated launch date for these games? he sounds like he doesn't really know yet what to release and when.
2 more years before we are playing these games, I am calling it.

Blader

Phantom Pain is the main game , like chapter 2-8 of MGSV and at some point it was planned to come to both current and next gen systems I feel like the current gen versions will get scrapped and it will be a next gen only game. It also won't be out until 2015, maybe summer ?

No, it's coming in fiscal year 2015 - which is mostly 2014.

And why would they scrap the current gen versions? Fox Engine was built for current gen.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
GZ's sales would suffer so I can't see that happening.

I could see a 'Substance' version coming later though with both in there and some extras.

And GZ has its own setting and story so its not a demo.

There's no way it won't be included on the same disc. Given how far off TPP seems to be, it wouldn't hurt sales much at all.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
As I said in the previous thread, I hope that Ground Zeroes is somewhat of a psudo-beta type game to see how the public reacts to the new mechanics. I mean, why else would Kojima release this first? He always seems to be in touch with what gamers want.

Derrick01

Banned
That just tells me ground zeroes is going to be extremely small and short and probably barely worth playing other than treating it as a demo.

CamHostage

Sounds very much like a Dead Rising "Case Zero" situation.

Totally makes sense. Which is all the more confusing that Kojima refuses to clarify the difference between GZ and TPP, there's already a precedent set and we all have an idea of what each product is yet we're getting no firm answer (and by we I mean gamers, but even investors are left in the dark) as to what's what. Just say, one's a downloadable minigame designed to test the engine and give players a taste of the world, the other is a full $60 game. Easy. And then, we'll pre-order both and be happy.

CamHostage

Ohhh...you're on to something here.

Ground Zeroes have you playing the real Snake, TPP will have you playing as someone else?

Heh, unfortunately, David Hayter is not in either release, so good game or not, there is no "real Snake" in MGS5 as far as some of us are concerned...

So basically,

GZ = The Tanker from MGS2
TPP = Big Shell from MGS2

Sounds good to me. If Kojima's insane attention to detail is still present in this game then I can see myself wasting hours finding new interesting things in Ground Zeroes alone. Thinking how that compares to The Phantom Pain really excites me.

That's the way I imagined it too. I'm ok with it.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I'm down for this segmenting. As long as it's reflected in the price.

Mr. RHC

Secret mystery solved - Ground Zeroes is a (probable) 10 $ download title coming to xbox 360, ps3, xbox one, ps4 sometime in 2014. It is essentially the first chapter of MGSV by itself.

Phantom Pain is the main game , like chapter 2-8 of MGSV and at some point it was planned to come to both current and next gen systems I feel like the current gen versions will get scrapped and it will be a next gen only game. It also won't be out until 2015, maybe summer ?

I think this is very possible.

Why, Konami, why is it so hard to announce how you are going the release the game? Please, just do it already!
This GZ vs. TPP mystery is really redundant.

eso76

Am I the only one who reads this as more of an indication of how small GZ is, rather than how big is TPP ?

I thought this deserved its own thread, so thanks for creating it!

Just thought I should mention that you get the highest ranking for beating Ground Zeroes in under two hours (and of course, no kills, no alerts, etc.). Which means that it's probably somewhere gameplay-wise around the size of MGS2. Though only a couple areas have been shown off, the map will let you traverse a bit more than they've shown off in the demos. (Remember that the daytime demo still takes place within Ground Zeroes, so that location will be accessible.)

300-times the size of that is insane!

LordCanti

If Ground Zeroes is some small digital thing that can come out while we're waiting for TPP/MGSV, that's fine with me. If it's just a part of MGSV, this marketing is weeeeirrrrddddd.

HeelPower

but will the phantom pain benefit from a seamlessly interconnected world or will it separate areas chosen from a menu like we have seen in the TGS demo ?

No wonder its releasing in 2015.A world that big with kojima's attention to detail would be insane to make.

RangerBAD

but will the phantom pain benefit from a seamlessly interconnected world or will it separate areas chosen from a menu like we have seen in the TGS demo ?

Maybe interconnected by a menu, but not seamlessly since the game takes you to different countries for missions. In the TPP trailers, Big Boss is in Afghanistan trying to retrieve Miller from some sort of imprisonment.

Heh, unfortunately, David Hayter is not in either release, so good game or not, there is no "real Snake" in MGS5 as far as some of us are concerned...

I'm in the camp of people who think this Hayter business is a big troll-fest by Kojima. I'd theorize that the game will end up involving Big Boss, Solid Snake, and/or maybe even Liquid Snake, with Sutherland voicing one of the characters and Hayter voicing one or more of the others.

I don't think Hayter would have been so vocal about being upset about it unless he was prompted by Kojima to feign anger over the whole deal. I would think if it was all real, in the interest of professionalism, he'd have been a little more quiet about it.

RangerBAD

I'm in the camp of people who think this Hayter business is a big troll-fest by Kojima. I'd theorize that the game will end up involving Big Boss, Solid Snake, and/or maybe even Liquid Snake, with Sutherland voicing one of the characters and Hayter voicing one or more of the others.

I don't think Hayter would have been so vocal about being upset about it unless he was prompted by Kojima to feign anger over the whole deal. I would think if it was all real, in the interest of professionalism, he'd have been a little more quiet about it.

Social media makes people lose their heads and say stupid things. Although, I believe it's all a ruse too.

L.O.R.D

wait wait wait
hqdefault.jpg

now there is TWO MGS5 game ? one prequel for the current Gen and the Big one for next Gen ?

Broank

Tanker -> Big Shell
Virtuous Mission -> Operation Snake Eater
Ground Zeroes -> Phantom Pain

Ground Zeroes is the usual prologue mission, only released first as a stand alone DLC or something.

I think this is very possible.

Why, Konami, why is it so hard to announce how you are going the release the game? Please, just do it already!
This GZ vs. TPP mystery is really redundant.

It's so frustrating! I'm sitting here and I know what's up, but I can't say anything until we've ironed out every last detail. Please, please, stick with us, an official announcement is coming soon.

CamHostage

I was too in that camp too (and going by the weird mindfuck MGS4 prologue films, Hayter as a presence versus just a voice is clearly in Kojima's mind,) but I don't have enough evidence to support that assumption and on the face of it it's all denials. Plus, the negative PR might not be considered worth the secret (though they have had the time to play the PR long game,) and the fact that Japan isn't playing the swap game is an indicator of the opposite (although by casting a star, Konami is probably hoping the Keifer performance will be seen as the primary MGS5 experience worldwide.) Let's hope that's true, I'm pulling for Keifer's performance to be good (please please please) but if Kojima snuck Hayter in the back door it would

It's so frustrating! I'm sitting here and I know what's up, but I can't say anything until we've ironed out every last detail. Please, please, stick with us, an official announcement is coming soon.

You bet, I will! It doesn't matter how many episodes, I'm getting it. Day Zeroes! :)

It's surprising to see hype come-and-go for MGSV on the forums, here, but I think it's in large part due to the uncertainty of release. I think once people understand and get the information they need on that front, MGSV will be business as usual again (Hype Trains and all of that good stuff), for GAF.

Top Bottom