• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima: The Phantom Pain will be 300 times bigger than Ground Zeroes

It'll probably be riddled with framerate problems and terrible textures.

Business as usual, then?

Man, those next gen consoles can't come soon enough. Sucks that so many of the early games have to be cross-gen for at least a year, though--no way will the install base be big enough not to before then. I want them to cut loose with the new hardware. :(

It's so frustrating! I'm sitting here and I know what's up, but I can't say anything until we've ironed out every last detail. Please, please, stick with us, an official announcement is coming soon.

*(Im)patiently awaits* ;_;

I just need dates. I can't wait to wait for MGS5, GZ, TPP or whatever.

GZ on PS4 SOON would be amazing though, as long as it doesn't cause a delay for MGSV as a whole.

Nibel

MGSV:TPP is the main game and will also include the new MGO as the multiplayer component.

MGS:GZ is some other game that might be included with MGSV or sold as a separate game. They haven't been clear on this.

There's apparently some digital MGS game in existence for this fiscal year. I'm increasingly wondering if it's MGS:GZ or if they have a third/fourth product.

That would be dumb - why play GZ when you have the real deal then?

GZ is just a introduction to the new gameplay of MGS; offering one big map (the base) with missions to solve (remember the mission select screen in the TGS demo). I predict that GZ will come out way earlier than TPP, costing probably around $15-20

Batzi

Banned
wait wait wait
hqdefault.jpg

now there is TWO MGS5 game ? one prequel for the current Gen and the Big one for next Gen ?

Seriously.

yup

Batzi

Banned
MGSV is TPP. My understanding is that GZ is the intro section of that game similar to the tanker section of MGS2. Maybe it's its own release though, but Konami hasn't talked about distribution.

Except it is not. The Tanker is like 30 mins while GZ is a full game which is a prologue to a much larger game.

really? From what we've seen on current-gen, it was working really well and it looked fricking awesome.

Except running a PC demo at current gen specs doesn't cause frame rate problems, it gives you a better frame rate. If they can get it 30fps that's cool, but we have no proof yet.

I don't understand the difference between MGSV, GZ, and TPP. What's what? It's all rather confusing.

Wait what's the difference between the two...?

Same here

I am with all of you.

MGSV:TPP is the main game and will also include the new MGO as the multiplayer component.

MGS:GZ is some other game that might be included with MGSV or sold as a separate game. They haven't been clear on this.

There's apparently some digital MGS game in existence for this fiscal year. I'm increasingly wondering if it's MGS:GZ or if they have a third/fourth product.

I'm increasingly wondering if I have any interest in putting up with this BS.

Am I only only one that finds his complete lack of information on the products he plans to sell and overly confusing ways of explaining something that should be simply annoying? Why are people still confused what the he's even advertising? The difference of GZ and TPP and MGSV shouldn't be some huge overly convoluted secret. This shouldn't be happening, and one of the most poorly executed PR stunts ever.

well that may be GZ specific, so I avoided that one.

The E3 trailer for The Phantom Pain takes place in Cuba (in the Red Band extended version of the trailer) in broad daylight. So, unless some part of Ground Zeroes' story takes place in the day, I think you can add it to the list! (Not a confirmation, though, as it could just be them showing off the Fox Engine.)

The E3 trailer for The Phantom Pain takes place in Cuba (in the Red Band extended version of the trailer) in broad daylight. So, unless some part of Ground Zeroes' story takes place in the day, I think you can add it to the list! (Not a confirmation, though, as it could just be them showing off the Fox Engine.)

Yeah I remember that part, but speculate it could be from some sort of scene setting cutscene or flashback during the GZ mission.
They might be jetting off back to Cuba after 9 years but I think they'll leave that crap in the caribbean behind.

Yeah, or maybe it's just a cutscene for an Extra Ops mission unrelated to the story where you have to rescue some prisoners before they get executed. :)

Just stick to making 1 solid game Kojima. This is creating consumer confusion at best, and causing me to loose interest in your already very confusing franchise.

Wille517

Neo Member
I feel as though we are already being setup for a MGS 2 style bait and switch with GZ being the Tanker Chapter where we will play as either Naked or Solid Snake and then get Kojima'd and play as someone else in MGS V proper.

Business as usual, then?

Man, those next gen consoles can't come soon enough. Sucks that so many of the early games have to be cross-gen for at least a year, though--no way will the install base be big enough not to before then. I want them to cut loose with the new hardware. :(

Look at it this way, next-gen versions of "old gen" games get to be 60fps, instead of the 30fps uber-graphic next-gen exclusives

Batzi

Banned

No it is not. E3 trailer takes place in Afghanistan. Cuba is Ground Zeroes.

No it is not. E3 trailer takes place in Afghanistan. Cuba is Ground Zeroes.

... Did you not see the prisoner get shot when Kaz talks about making them "give back our past"? That looked like Camp Omega to me.

EDIT: Apologies. My original post probably came across as the whole thing taking place in Cuba. I only meant a scene in the intro portion of the Red Band trailer.

Batzi

Banned
... Did you not see the prisoner get shot when Kaz talks about making them "give back our past"? That looked like Camp Omega to me.

Camp Omega was seen and yes that was Cuba but according to Kojima Ground Zeroes only takes place during the night. The Phantom Pain begins in Cyprus.

EDIT: Apology accepted.

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
IF GZ is a completely separate game, released months to a year before TPP... I fear spoilers for the latter.

You never know what TPP secrets are inside GZ's code. Remember what happened with TLoU demo? Files gave some things away.

Blader

Sounds needlessly convoluted. Isn't that just going to cause confusion amongst the casual gaming public?

Nothing's ever simple where Kojima is concerned these days.

What's convoluted about it? Ground Zeroes is a (likely paid) demo. Phantom Pain is the full game. All we don't know is when and how much.

Only reason there's so much confusion is because people keep asking the same question over and over instead of reading any of the dozens of posts that break it down.

Batzi

Banned
Can someone explain to me the difference between the two?
Pretend I know nothing.

Why should we pretend? You obviously don't know anything. To answer this question for the zillionth time, GZ is a prologue to TPP and both together are MGSV. But since GZ might be big enough to be its own game, Kojima might release it first then release TPP later but they both form MGSV since they are both telling MGSV's story.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Seriously, which is the most confusing timeline, this or Zelda?

I'm fucked with it all.

What? MGS is pretty straight-forward timeline-wise, unlike Zelda's alternate universes.

The order is: MGS3: Snake Eater -> Peace Walker -> Ground Zeroes/Phantom Pain -> Metal Gear 1 -> Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake -> MGS1/Twin Snakes -> MGS2: Sons of Liberty -> MGS4: Guns of the Patriots.

Top Bottom