• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KojiPro aiming at 60fps for next-gen versions of MGSV

kitch9

Banned
Isn't the Bone's ESRAM pretty strong? Maybe that can help it out in multiplat games.

When you say strong, you mean its there to combat a huge deficiency in RAM bandwidth and thats even before we consider that the PS4's gpu is 50% more powerful than the Xbones with TWICE the pixel fill rate?

If so, then.... Sure.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/th...eroes-and-what-it-means-for-next-gen-6394848/

"This is why you see crisp edges and angles on the XOF patch, rather than smooth curves. In order to transform visible edges into curves, the game must support tessellation. By the time Metal Gear makes its debut on the next generation of consoles, we can look forward to tessellation and other techniques that will have a significant impact on in-game graphics. "

Last year when first unveiling Ground Zeroes, Kojima talked about the mirror Skull Face is looking at with its rough edges, he confirmed that he could correct that with tessellation (from that time we got the hint to next-gen versions and the way they will look better)

I honestly never expected this open embrace of 60fps on consoles.

Never in a million years.

Obviously I couldn't be happier to have been wrong.

Its only because MGSV is a current gen game. Its not a true "next gen" game in that sense. Which is surprising cause it already looks amazing.

60fps is basically free because they get all this added headroom as far as performance goes. The game was designed with current gen in mind.

Which kinda make me sad, because when you think about it, we may never see a Kojima directed next gen MGS. Plus when you see how long it has been in between MGS games, we wont see a next gen MGS for a long time. MGS4 released in 2008. I would say we would be lucky if we get MGSV by the end of 2014. I'd also be surprised if MGSV releases on all platforms at the same time.

I would prefer if Kojima would just cancel the PS360 versions.

Bishop89

0341_gxsx.gif

dr_rus

Do not expect this to continue in 2015. Actually, I wouldn't count on 1080p staying with us for very long.

We should be thankful for the existence of crossgen and enjoy them while they last. But it's only a matter of time before sacrifices start to happen.

No crossgen is crap. Its limiting these games from a graphical, design, and scale perspective. I like 60fps, but don't feel its necessary for all games, and certain ones benefit more from a visual upgrade over a higher frame rate. It really depends on the game and what the developer is trying to achieve. For example God of War isn't a series that really needs 60fps. It works fine with its variable 40-45fps. God of War is all about the pretty graphics and huge scale. Its more of a trade off than a sacrifice.

It already looks amazing because they showed the cranked up PC version, not the Ps3 or 360 one. Nothing surprising really.

its not "cranked up". Kojima has said multiple times that the specs are targeted at current gen consoles. He said it should be very close, but may not look exactly the same. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a slight downgrade to the PS360 versions as they optimize(framerate, resolution, ect), but assets and lighting should remain unchanged.

I'm seriously trying to wrap my head around it. I don't understand how the 360 version of this game is going to work without 3+ discs.

Already been said that theres going to be less cutscenes. Plus they'll lower the audio and cutscene quality. If I remember correctly MGS4 was lossless. The cutscenes are likely to be heavily compressed in the 360 version.

I'm sure the game will still ship with at least 2 discs though, maybe 3 with multiplayer on the 3rd disc. Theres been multiple 360 games on more than one disc.

Espada

Not to get off-track, but I really want a proper SC on the next-gen consoles.

Same here, hopefully the sales of SCV justify another entry. I love that series and Tago worked magic with a barebones budget a tiny development window.

That said, it's amazing that MGSV can actually look and run BETTER than what we've seen. Wow.

Batzi

Banned
so Kojima pretty much confirmed that the E3 trailer was running on current gen consoles..wow this is fucking amazing!!! FOX Engine FTW!!!!

Zarx

so Kojima pretty much confirmed that the E3 trailer was running on current gen consoles..wow this is fucking amazing!!! FOX Engine FTW!!!!

well the PS360 assets running on a high end PC, pre optimization for console performance.

jsnepo

If this is true I might get a PS4 early.

This. Though if the PS3 version runs at a steady 30fps and the visual downgrade is unnoticeable, then I might still buy that version. I'm already thinking of the next MGO.

Speaking of MGO that could come with this game, you think Konami will allow cross platform play between PS3 and PS4?

DC R1D3R

Banned
Tbh Kojipro shouldn't be aiming...they should be leading by fucking example by now. Show these Western devs you're still the numero uno.

velociraptor

Do not expect this to continue in 2015. Actually, I wouldn't count on 1080p staying with us for very long.

I'm fine with devs pushing for graphics, but I hope 1080p and locked framerates are a priority.

I hated the good number of 25FPS games that plagued consoles. I'm even fine with 30FPS, as long as there are no dropped frames and input lag.

When resolution is not a priority its not hard.

Your average wet fart could power a decent looking game at 720p and 60fps.

Are you talking about graphics cards? If so, that's true. I had a 3-year-old card that could run ME3 at that without breaking a sweat.

Either way, *cough*PC-elitist*cough*...

Durante

Regarding 60 FPS, I can't help but think that it's largely a function of the unprecedented preponderance of cross-gen titles at the start of the coming generation. If you look only at games exclusively developed for next gen, they still largely target 30 FPS.

Oh, and MGS 5 surely won't run at 1080p on current-gen consoles.

beastmode

Already been said that theres going to be less cutscenes. Plus they'll lower the audio and cutscene quality. If I remember correctly MGS4 was lossless. The cutscenes are likely to be heavily compressed in the 360 version.

I'm sure the game will still ship with at least 2 discs though, maybe 3 with multiplayer on the 3rd disc. Theres been multiple 360 games on more than one disc.
Cutscenes are real-time.

Sickbean

Regarding 60 FPS, I can't help but think that it's largely a function of the unprecedented preponderance of cross-gen titles at the start of the coming generation. If you look only at games exclusively developed for next gen, they still largely target 30 FPS.

Oh, and MGS 5 surely won't run at 1080p on current-gen consoles.

I'm trying to think back if this was the case for the previous generations - I suppose it's a fairly easy way to use all the extra power that's suddenly available?

DieH@rd

Banned
Wait ... So the MGS demo we saw at E3 was running on current gen systems? Surely not.

No, it was running on PC. But, the game was created to be able to run on old consoles - object density, NPC density, amounts of lights, etc. Those things have to be fixed, or else currentgen consoles will not be able to run it.

When the base for creating MGS game becomes nextgen, then we will get visual orgy on the scale of Division [even better than that].

I'm trying to think back if this was the case for the previous generations - I suppose it's a fairly easy way to use all the extra power that's suddenly available?

But when people are used to the taste of 60 fps going back to 30 fps is hard atleast it is for me.

Durante

Higher resolution and higher framerates are two of the easiest ways to make use of more compute power. It's almost no effort at all for developers. It's not a coincidence that even phoned-in PC ports usually feature these.

Elios83

MGSV is not a game truly conceived for next gen (and honestly it shows during the open world gameplay sections). All the footage seen so far is running on a PC. PS3/360 version will definetly look worse (especially for characters models) and lower res. PS4 version might have a good chance of running something like the trailer at 60fps.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Good to hear. 60fps is awesome. Though I do prefer 30 with extra eye candy for most titles.

I get the best of both on PC.

TheIconizer

Neo Member
When I saw this at E3 I knew that I wanted this. I bought my Ps3 when MGS 4 was released. So I think this'll be a nice start for me when it comes out.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member

To be fair, nintendo has always done it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The push for 60fps has been one of the most pleasant surprises of this E3. Even though a lot of the games are cross gen they're selling titles and will set a precedent and expectation for the generation.

The push for 60fps has been one of the most pleasant surprises of this E3. Even though a lot of the games are cross gen they're selling titles and will set a precedent and expectation for the generation.

Considering all the talk of 30fps that we'd been hearing over the previous months, it definitely is a pleasant surprise. It's a raising of the bar that goes along with the generational bump.

Top Bottom