• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KojiPro aiming at 60fps for next-gen versions of MGSV

szaromir

Banned
its not "cranked up". Kojima has said multiple times that the specs are targeted at current gen consoles. He said it should be very close, but may not look exactly the same. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a slight downgrade to the PS360 versions as they optimize(framerate, resolution, ect), but assets and lighting should remain unchanged.
Sure, if by unchanged you mean the underlying algorithms are the same, but everything (light maps, shadow maps etc) is at much lower resolution

i-Lo

Given it's a cross generational engine, this makes sense. To me stability matters more overall and that said 60 fps is a nice bonus.

Leucrota

Nah, I think the vast majority games will be able to maintain a locked 30 at least until the very end of the gen.

What I'm talking about is truly abysmal shit like Crysis 3 and Far Cry 3 that are literally unplayable to frame-rate sensitive types on consoles.
That will happen again at the end of the next gen. It always does.

Hopefully the next generation doesn't last 8 years, though. That could change and hopefully we can avoid situations quite as bad as the two games I listed above.

What games were 60 FPS at the start of last gen?

I see games staying at 1080p and/or 60 FPS for the length of the generation. As the gen progresses, developers come out with new, more efficient code. This allows them to keep the peformance while upping the graphical fidelity.

We didn't start at 1080p or 60 FPS for the current gen, 720p at 30 fps was always the target and always how games performed.

Edit: Are people forgetting the amount of cross-gen titles between this and last gen? Marvel Ultimate Alliance did not run at 30 FPS even though it was on 360 and OG Xbox

mattp

60 fps + anti-aliasing + no more dithered transparencies

that's all i ask for beyond the ps360 versions. it looks incredible already

i-Lo

What games were 60 FPS at the start of last gen?

I see games staying at 1080p and/or 60 FPS for the length of the generation. As the gen progresses, developers come out with new, more efficient code. This allows them to keep the peformance while upping the graphical fidelity.

We didn't start at 1080p or 60 FPS for the current gen, 720p at 30 fps was always the target and always how games performed.

As the generation progresses expect to see a drop in native resolution (as first for xbone) from 1080p (then upscaled) allied to stable 30 fps.

Two reasons:

Closed box
No mandate specifying either resolution or frame rate or a combination of the two

Leucrota

As the generation progresses expect to see a drop in native resolution (as first for xbone) from 1080p (then upscaled) allied to stable 30 fps.

Two reasons:

Closed box
No mandate specifying either resolution or frame rate or a combination of the two

My point is 720p at 30 fps was targeted during current gen from beginning to end and games got better looking while performing the same at the same resolution.

Harp

Just about all the games that are saying 60 are really 360/ps3 games that are being enhanced for nextgen. Not saying there is anything wrong with that. PC has been that way for a couple of years now and it nice to play good looking and stable games. I fully expect games build from the ground up for next gen to fall back to 30 fps.

Amey

Whatever may be the fps for gameplay, they need to somehow lock it down to 24fps during cut-scenes. Anything higher kills the cinematic feel.

RedSwirl

This is really great, but I won't get used to it. Seems likely that this is just for the cross generation stuff, and developers will start dropping to 30 for extra fidelity in a year or two.

Pretty sure Battlefield 4 is still a PS3/360 title too. Wait until they're no longer catering to those consoles. Although you have a good point with Halo, hoping stuff like that is just a change in priorities - 60fps is just better.

But it seems like some of these games like BF4 are targeting next gen, and then porting down. It's not like Assassin's Creed IV which really does look like an upgraded current-gen game.

Top Bottom