• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami announces new Momotaro Dentetsu coming to PS4, PS3, PS Vita, Wii U, and 3DS

Takao

Banned
Update:

Here's the rundown:

1) Description for May 5 Denjin Gacha broadcast features Momotaro Dentetsu for PS4, PS3, PS Vita, Wii U, and 3DS.

2) Tweet from Denjin Gacha account for the broadcast says it features Momotaro Dentetsu 16: Hokkaido Daiidou no Maki, which was released in 2006 for PS2, Xbox 360, and Wii.

3) Previous Denjin Gacha broadcast featured LEGO Marvel Avengers, which was released only for PS4, PS3, PS Vita, Wii U, and 3DS in Japan.

Most likely scenario is they copy-pasted the previous broadcast's description when creating the description for the latest one and forgot to change the platforms.

Apologies for the error, all. It wasn't exactly my fault or anything, but I should've handled it more carefully.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Konami is bringing its Hudson Soft-created long-running board game-style series Momotaro Dentetsu to PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, PS Vita, Wii U, and 3DS, it’s been revealed.

The most recent entry in the series, Momotaro Dentetsu World, launched for DS in Japan in 2012.

The game—which we currently have no information regarding whether it’s new or it’s a port—will be featured on the next Denjin Gacha Niconico live stream on May 5 at 21:00 Japan time.

Visit the Momotaro Dentetsu series’ official website here.

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2016/05/momotaro-dentetsu-coming-ps4-ps3-ps-vita-wii-u-3ds#YKVak3swvsWE7Vj0.99

Nikkei previously reported a new game was due out this year, but through a partnership with Nintendo. These games sell pretty well in Japan.

A few reactions:
1) Whoa, Konami announcing a new game that isn't on phones or in a parlour?
2) Whoa, Konami announcing a new Hudson game?
3) Whoa, Konami's first Wii U game is being published in 2016?
4) Whoa, a Japanese third party Wii U game in 2016?

L~A

Didn't the creator said last year that the series was basically "done"? (aka: dead).

Rather strange announcement, out of the blue.

Renpatsu

Given the rationale behind Konami's recent business decisions I would really love to know the thinking that went into this because it feels so far out of step with the rest of their choices of late.

Konami huh?

UtuV54E.gif

hiro4

Not sure how to feel about this.
One hand very happy with a new momotetsu other hand this is Konami we are talking about.

bjork

Maybe this is the beginning of something good, guys. Maybe Bemani will come back in full force. Maybe they'll bring some of their JP app store games out here. Maybe we'll get Bayou Billy in VR

This is very conflicting with the report from last year about Nintendo having gotten the license to make a game themselves. Unless that's still underway and is on NX or something.

Astral Dog

Whats so weird about a Wii U family friendly downloadable game?
I think its more surprising Konami is releasing a game for all those platforms

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Good for the fans, but at this point I just want Konami to go away.

Considering how the most recent entry was selling pretty well recently, I presume Konami didn't like leaving money on the table

so1337

Pretty interesting move for a pachinko manufacturer. Is this some sort of cross-media promotion for one of their upcoming machines?

salromano

Well! Sounds like there was a mistake:

https://twitter.com/bk2128/status/727667174614032384?lang=en

Uncertain what said mistake was, but maybe the Nintendo deal is indeed still on after all?

Here's the rundown:

1) Description for May 5 Denjin Gacha broadcast features Momotaro Dentetsu for PS4, PS3, PS Vita, Wii U, and 3DS.

2) Tweet from Denjin Gacha account for the broadcast says it features Momotaro Dentetsu 16: Hokkaido Daiidou no Maki, which was released in 2006 for PS2, Xbox 360, and Wii.

3) Previous Denjin Gacha broadcast featured LEGO Marvel Avengers, which was released only for PS4, PS3, PS Vita, Wii U, and 3DS in Japan.

Most likely scenario is they copy-pasted the previous broadcast's description when creating the description for the latest one and forgot to change the platforms.

Apologies for the error, all. It wasn't exactly my fault or anything, but I should've handled it more carefully.

Here's the rundown:

Oooooooooh.

So it's just showing off an entry that's now 10 years old (numbered 16 of all things, huh).

So no new game at the moment it seems. The Nintendo deal discussed last year (here's the link for reference) might still be on indeed after all.

Huge thanks for clearing that up Sal! And no worries! :)

Vinnk

I don't think this explains everything, it's more of an anecdote but there so something I saw that might have contributed to Momotaro Dentetsu being brought back from the dead.

There is a famous TV program in Japan called Ametoku. My wife watches this one a lot. They like to do crazy themes and the guests often dress up in costumes. For example, there are episodes all about Dragonball or Doraemon or some non-anime nostalgic topic. Sometimes it's also about games. Last year they had an episode about Mario. See below. Yes that is Arino from GameCenter CX. Sorry for the bad images, I just aimed my camera at the TV:

c7BaI6G.jpg

2 or 3 months ago it was Street Fighter II. This one was really funny a lot of the guys were recounting how when they were Jr. High students they would do high kicks and pause to try to see Chun Lee's underpants:

IhB29Sc.jpg

And a few months ago it was.. you guessed it.. Momotaro Dentetsu.

Z8imkgU.jpg

They mostly used clips from the Wii game. And showed celebrities playing it. This was super effective in bringing up the nostalgia factor for previous players of the long-running series and also introducing it to a new generation.

SalesGAF saw that the Wii game suddenly came back into the top 20. Then is stayed there for a few weeks. Yeah, a Wii game, in 2016.

It's not just the Wii game selling well, most sores in my town are sold out of the old games in the series too. I know this because my daughter was influenced by the program and wanted to play one of the games. We couldn't find any console versions at the stores we went to but she found the Gameboy version of game 2.

MOtMV94.jpg

She was very happy.

Later I found a loose copy of the Super Famicom one as well.

7Z3KB8M.jpg

We have been playing that.

These games used to be super common but people have been buying them up since this show aired.

As tone-deaf to the cries of gamers as Konami is, it is possible that even they noticed this.

Just some thoughts.

I don't think this explains everything, it's more of an anecdote but there so something I saw that might have contributed to Momotaro Dentetsu being brought back from the dead.

There is a famous TV program in Japan called Ametoku. My wife watches this one a lot. They like to do crazy themes and the guests often dress up in costumes. For example, there are episodes all about Dragonball or Doraemon or some non-anime nostalgic topic. Sometimes it's also about games. Last year they had an episode about Mario. See below. Yes that is Arino from GameCenter CX. Sorry for the bad images, I just aimed my camera at the TV:

c7BaI6G.jpg

2 or 3 months ago it was Street Fighter II. This one was really funny a lot of the guys were recounting how when they were Jr. High students they would do high kicks and pause to try to see Chun Lee's underpants:

IhB29Sc.jpg

And a few months ago it was.. you guessed it.. Momotaro Dentetsu.

Z8imkgU.jpg

They mostly used clips from the Wii game. And showed celebrities playing it. This was super effective in bringing up the nostalgia factor for previous players of the long-running series and also introducing it to a new generation.

SalesGAF saw that the Wii game suddenly came back into the top 20. Then is stayed there for a few weeks. Yeah, a Wii game, in 2016.

It's not just the Wii game selling well, most sores in my town are sold out of the old games in the series too. I know this because my daughter was influenced by the program and wanted to play one of the games. We couldn't find any console versions at the stores we went to but she found the Gameboy version of game 2.

MOtMV94.jpg

She was very happy.

Later I found a loose copy of the Super Famicom one as well.

7Z3KB8M.jpg

We have been playing that.

These games used to be super common but people have been buying them up since this show aired.

As tone-deaf to the cries of gamers as Konami is, it is possible that even they noticed this.

Just some thoughts.

Thanks for the insight.

Also cute kid!

I often wonder how my future children will react to my large collection of games from the past.

Aters

Maybe, just maybe, Konami is not done yet. I don't think they can just redraw from game industry since they are so deeply involved.

Dear Konami,

I don't forgive you yet.

Here are the conditions of my love & respect.

1. Metal Gear Solid GBC on 3DS Virtual Console.
2. Survival Kids GBC on 3DS Virtual Console.
3. Snake in Smash NX.
4. A written apology to Hideo Kojima.
5. A written apology from Hideo Kojima.

There we go. That's all. Also, if this comes out in the United States, I'll consider picking it up as I haven't tried out this franchise yet.

It's okay Konami. We are ready to forgive you.. IF you're serious.

Top Bottom