• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami seeking new main staff members for development of new Metal Gear series

Escalario

Banned
I'm excited about a Metal Gear without Kojima's shackles. Metal Gear: Ghost Babel is the only MG game that I like enough to replay it from time to time.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Why can't companies realize that without the same people, it won't be the same quality? It's never been done with success before.

It is not just that, it is the reason why those people left the company and how it came to be that a new team is needed for a new Metal Gear that are almost as important if not more. There could be people that are skilled enough, have passion enough, and are creative enough to create a new Metal Gear series which is good enough to stand on its own, but would those people want to work at Konami?
Would Konami be able to create an environment that nurtures and empowers them to crest a similar legacy as the one done by Kojima and his team?

The push for great technology to marry strong artistic efforts, the reason d'être for the Fox Engine remembering one past GDC presentation by Kojima himself, the respect for his fans and the IP/brands you have created (see saving the PS3 ZoE HD collection contracting a new team vs how Konami handled the SH HD collection), etc... Several instances which make me trust him more than I trust the recent Konami that has devalued a lot of their great historic gaming assets (SH, PES, Castlevania, etc...).

Rising_Hei

Just wondering why people are so keen on dismissing a new metal gear without Kojima as Director. The reason I'm wondering this is because Kojima has wanted to pass the Series on too his younger staff so he could move on to other things. The only diffrence is he won't be there for guidance and support. It's always been inevitable that the Metal Gear series would be directed by someone else, the only reason people are upset is because Kojima won't be working for Konami now. Don't get me wrong, I'm upset too but only because of how Konami is treating his legacy.
It's not only without Kojima, it's without his ENTIRE team, and that's trouble :)

I hope that Kojima doesn't allow Konami to bully him in to being a contractor on another Metal Gear game in the future. Kojima is finally done with the saga - something he has stated on many occasions that he wanted more than anything.

Konami will run the series into the ground with mind-numbing reboots and sequels [I could be wrong; watch them be awesome] and Kojima will be creating all those new games he's had on the brainpan for well over a decade.

Watching his IGN release date video, it's clear that he has known about all of this for a while, as is evident by his demeanor and his answer to the "Will this be your last Metal Gear?" question.

I hope that Konami took the Kojima Productions logo off everything Metal Gear because Kojima is re-forming KojiPro outside of Konami.

People are saying get swery on the phone? Fuck that man I can't believe these guys have the balls to continue the series without Kojima. I refuse to support this franchise and I am no longer buying any MGS after mgs5.

I don't get posts like this.

Why would you even make such a definitive statement for a game we know literally zero about ( and the development hasn't even started yet) in a series you...apparently...loved ?

Like...yeah...Kojima was a big part of Metal Gear so far, but "refusing to support the franchise "is just out there.

thelastword

Banned
eee1aa22bc.jpg

I can't think about more awesome pics than these.
Sony should hire all these guys and make a new studio under WWS. Get some new IP's rolling, also, hire Itagaki for a new action/slasher game or make him join RAD to do so. RAD's graphics prowess and Itagaki's direction should be a great combination.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
There is a slim chance this is all just a ruse.

Remember in the Ground Zeroes Deja Vu mission you could erase all MGS logos. Or in the intro Skull Face erases the XOF logo to get rid of any evidence this ever existed. Same with "A Hideo Kojima Game" and the Kojima Productions logo.

2015-03-2314_31_54-meaiuut.png

I mean if it was any other company ok but this is Kojima we're talking about here.

I don't wanna get my hopes up but if anyone could pull something like this it's Kojima.

Marchiott

Metal Gear without KojiPro is not Metal Gear.
They might as well call it something else and let the new talent forge their own legacy.

... Of course, that's not how marketing works.

After MGSV, I don't think I could play another Metal Gear game without Kojima Productions making it. Kojima-san's direction and the unique talent of the KP team are what make a Metal Gear experience and I'll be damned to support a MG game without them.

News Bot

Banned
There is a slim chance this is all just a ruse.

Remember in the Ground Zeroes Deja Vu mission you could erase all MGS logos. Or in the intro Skull Face erases the XOF logo to get rid of any evidence this ever existed. Same with "A Hideo Kojima Game" and the Kojima Productions logo.

2015-03-2314_31_54-meaiuut.png

I mean if it was any other company ok but this is Kojima we're talking about here.

I don't wanna get my hopes up but if anyone could pull something like this it's Kojima.

No company would ever do something as stupid as this.

No company would ever do something as stupid as this.

Agreed 100%.

The other issue here is why would you want this to be a ruse? I'm happy that Kojima isn't shackled to Konami anymore; being forced to crank out Metal Gear after Metal Gear. I want to see what else he can do. Snatcher and Policenauts were amazing, so what new worlds and characters do we have to look forward to?

If Konami contracts him and his new studio to do yet another Metal Gear I will lose all respect for him.

He has always said "this is my last Metal Gear" and now he has that exact opportunity to run wild and free and create the other games he wants to make.

Go Kojima - move on to other amazing projects!!!

Why can't companies realize that without the same people, it won't be the same quality? It's never been done with success before.

The franchise name itself equals $$$$, I would imagine at this point the quality of the product means absolutely zero as long as the profit is there. I would imagine the name alone can skate by providing profits for at least a few more installments.

Just look at a franchise like Silent Hill, nostalgia's a bitch. The number of installments riding on the coat tails of its original quality far eclipses that of ACTUALLY great games. I'm sure the future of MGS doesn't look much different.

Top Bottom