• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koreans all looking the same...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flex187ad

They all look pretty different to me. I think its mainly the lighting and makeup that give them that very similar look. At the end of the day they're all going to have dark hair, dark eyes and be slim. Im just wondering what the point of a beauty pageant is if you can have a bunch of people that have had cosmetic surgery done enter.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
GAF, What is this sorcery? o_0;

rhjmDTF.jpg
Age?
Lol yup

ICKE

Banned
Aesthetic fascism.

Horrible stuff to be honest, that's what happens when corporate sponsored conceptions of what beauty is supposed to be takes over.

But that's how it goes in cultures where many people still view women as objects or cattle. And it's not too good in the western world either where good looking girls go under the knife.

charsace

But even with plastic surgery they don't look the same? Makeup and being of a similar age, with a similar pose for the photo are where the similarities begin and end.

It's like saying all black soccer players look the same, they don't, they're similar because they are a similar age, similar build because of the sport , and usually have similar crazy haircuts because of lack of fashion sense.

Your example is terrible. These girls are going to doctors and getting the same eyes, nose, jaw line, cheeks, lips, etc. No one is saying all Koreans look the same. Most of the contestants in this thread do look similar or share similar facial structure because of plastic surgery.

Tristam

Dayum.

Airplanepic.jpg

Kim Yumi is the quintessential surgically-engineered swan.

I mean, there are Korean women who naturally look very similar to her post-surgery appearance, but that sort of beauty is rare anywhere. It's incredible what skilled South Korean surgeons can create.

Oemenia

Banned
Funny but Korean men and women tend to be much easier to spot than Japanese or Taiwanese since they tend to have more oval faces. The fact that they tend to get same type of eye-opening cosmetic surgery further makes them look similar.

tino

Banned
I think the issue here homogenous society share very similar taste. This is not good for art. Korea movie industry may lost its vagor soon.

Tristam

Eh, also looks like weight loss and carefully applied makeup.

Sure, but hers is a remarkable transformation even by Korean surgical standards. I think it was some other Gaffer, ghst, who said something like "it wouldn't be so disturbing if the results weren't so obscenely good."

ramyeon

Side by side comparisons. Not surgery, lots of make up and photoshopping though. Holy crap. There are so many every day girls on the streets in Korea that look way better than these girls.

ZOFZoBJ.jpg

Rookje

In South Korea there are plastic surgeons on practically every street corner in Seoul. They are like McDonalds.

20130202_woc880_1.png

Wow, they all look much better in the before pictures IMO

The afters look so plastic Jesus they've goofed yo

Especially 16 and 19 Jesus crysis good going

EVOL 100%

Yes, pop culture here is pretty fucked up and the rampant plastic surgery is worrying, but the misinformation in this thread is fucking annoying.. The thing about this shit being about hating our own racial features and this being somehow part of our everyday lives especially.

Violet_0

Banned
looks like whoever shopped the picture copy-pasted the same face on every model. They all look different in the side by side comparisons

Radec

Side by side comparisons. Not surgery, lots of make up and photoshopping though. Holy crap. There are so many every day girls on the streets in Korea that look way better than these girls.

ZOFZoBJ.jpg

fucking make-up artists and their sorcery.

Tarsul

But that's quite unfair. They made the not-so beatiful women more attractive than some of the natural beauties.

vio

It seems that all of the girls have same bodies and face is just shopped on the head. Some of the faces have different perspective than head itself lol.

ramyeon

It seems that all of the girls have same bodies and face is just shopped on the head. Some of the faces have different perspective than head itself lol.
Huh? No, they do actually look different if you look at them individually. They just have really similar make up and the same photoshop artist has gone at them. Photoshoppers in Korea change a LOT. Even on passport photos they almost always slim the face down, change noses/jawlines and whatnot.

uvz

Neo Member
See, it is more complicated than some are making it out to be. It is about socioeconomic capacity to do it in the first place and strong competition toward an ideal. There are realities behind it that are shared in plenty of other places.

Yes, semantic backtracking, as completely expected. If that is what you meant, I think it is ridiculous and something not done in conversations about any other international analysis of tends, but I guess you are free to makes claims of a very uncommon nature to make it seem like you are making Korea out to be an exclusive case if you so wish.

It has nothing to do with me being special or above you. It is simply that I know these statements treating Korea like a special case are false. Yes, I will look down on false claims.

"people in korea have a lot of plastic surgery don't they gaf, it seems to be in the culture."

you read

"people in korea are obsessed with plastic surgery, it is the only country with self confidence issues".

Correct me if i am wrong but not one said that the amount of plastic surgery in south korea was special or unique until you brought it up, seriously. I agree with you that people on gaf and everywhere on forums paint countries with the same brush (just look at the rape in india threads) and that some people have suggested that everyone in Korea is obsessed with surgery but i disagree with how your going about it.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Correct me if im wrong but not one said that the amount of plastic surgery in south korea was special or unique until you brought it up, seriously.
If you're going to jump into an old argument, at least see it through to see what happened in it before you join so as to correct what misunderstandings you can on your own. Follow that conversation you quoted and you will find people who did say it was unique. The one who continued the argument eventually clarified that he meant unique only insofar as having the highest total number of surgeries was unique, and I explained how I assumed that he meant something more significant because such a statement is rather empty in my view. The other person who said it was unique never clarified the exact nature or extent of their statement.

and that some people have suggested that everyone in Korea is obsessed with surgery but i disagree with how your going about it.
Plenty of people don't like it because they seem to misunderstand it. Usually when I argue, I go by what people wrote, and I clearly explain what I understood their statement to mean. I'm not going to "get the gist" and assume the best. I really don't like arguments of "they weren't trying to be racist they just said something racist" because I really don't care to pursue anyone by their character. I don't know them personally, and I can't know them with certainty over the internet. All I can know and interact with is what they say, so I will deal with their statements.

That is what I did in that argument, and that is how we came to realize the difference in perspective on the statement. The significance of difference in perspective was so strong that I felt he was moving goalposts to remove all weight from the word "unique" but he insisted that it is what he originally meant and I accepted that. It wasn't comfortable, but I think through it I came to understand new possibilities for such statements made and he came to understand possible offensive implications certain types of statements can unintentionally convey to others.

ramyeon

I'm still ignorant as to what 'plastic surgery' entails. Like, is it more just than just a few physical alterations, because all their faces look so ridiculously smooth and the blemishes are non-existent (maybe that's just photoshop at work).
The smooth skin is photoshop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom