• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Former and current ND employees about the allegations

danthefan

I've read that post on the previous page twice. There's no sexual harassment element from what I can see, right?

It sounds like there's an asshat manager/lead/whatever working at ND... I mean they exist everywhere.

Those upset by my post...

1. Approaching
2. From the cover up aspect, not the act itself.

It's nothing like the Weinstein situation, stop.

lumi7890

Maybe I'm just reading too much into your post, but saying that they got "high off their own farts" and such seems kind of dismissive. These people have power over others' jobs, and if the company is willing to cover for it - and we already knew that they were notable for their crunch before this so it's hard to vouch for their sympathy for their employees - there is a genuine power dynamic enabling this.

I think brian! said it well:
I see..... never ending cycle of people in higher places takings advantage of other high & low ranking people. Truly a shitty cycle.

Pastry

Banned
Certainly a bit of an eye-opener that claim. Shouldn't be too hard to fact check either. Someone at ND that Jason is in contact with must know if a receptionist was working on Uncharted 3 at any point for whatever reason. That's not the most important part of those posts, but it stands out due to how noticeable it would be in the building/during development.

Yeah, that’s... interesting. Considering the glut of talent in the industry they could have filled an empty position in a week with a skilled person. There would be no reason to use a receptionist with no training.

pixelation

People actually think there are companies that are somehow immune to a systemic issue that has persisted through all of human civilization lol.

ND definitely has people on their roster who have sexually harassed women. Just like every other company.

No!, let's boycot Naughty Dog/Sony games!... for they are the devil incarnate! *grabs pitchforks*

I mean i do not in any way condone what (seems to have ) happened. But we cannot condemn a whole company thanks to a couple people out of hundreds, it's mighty dumb. The people involved should face the consequences, hell... maybe get fired. But the companies involved should not suffer as a whole due to the sins of a few.

No!, let's boycot Naughty Dog/Sony games!... for they are the devil incarnate! *grabs pitchforks*

I mean i do not in any way condon what (seems to have ) happened. But we cannot condemn a whole company thanks to a couple people out of hundreds, it's mighty dumb. The people involved should face the consequences, hell... maybe get fired. But the companies involved should not suffer as a whole due to the sins of a few.
You're definitely misunderstanding the spirit of my post. You should absolutely condemn and stop buying NDs products. And every other tech company as much as you can. Because they're all scum. Just like you should avoid buying from Nestle, buying from Walmart, buying from Apple, etc. Etc. Etc.

My post is directed at those who are trying to insist that ND is a good company at heart that just has a bad employee or two. Good companies don't exist, and a huge percentage of women (and men) have been sexually harassed. It's nonsense to try to write this off as some sort of anomoly.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You're definitely misunderstanding the spirit of my post. You should absolutely condemn and stop buying NDs products. And every other tech company as much as you can. Because they're all scum. Just like you should avoid buying from Nestle, buying from Walmart, buying from Apple, etc. Etc. Etc.

My post is directed at those who are trying to insist that ND is a good company at heart that just has a bad employee or two. Good companies don't exist, and a huge percentage of women (and men) have been sexually harassed. It's nonsense to try to write this off as some sort of anomoly.

Correct, companies do not care about you. They are a company. They care about themselves FIRST.

Correct, companies do not care about you. They are a company. They care about themselves FIRST.
Not just first, exclusively.

Companies are totally amoral and will never act in the employee or consumers favour for the sake of doing a good deed. They will always do the best they can to profiteer, because that's the culture capitalism encourages.

If we can pressure companies enough to change internal practices in regards to sexual harassment by convincing them it impacts their bottom line, they'll do it. If they see morons coming to bat for them in droves because of some misplaced faith, they won't do anything different and people will be hurt because of it.

Even if this story isn't as the victims have presented it, it is in our best interest as consumers to scream bloody murder at the company.

pixelation

This happens everywhere, even in churches. The solution is to not consume anything that you do not create yourself. It's just not feasible to boycot all companies (or singleout a company), you would be left with nothing.

Not just first, exclusively.

Companies are totally amoral and will never act in the employee or consumers favour for the sake of doing a good deed. They will always do the best they can to profiteer, because that's the culture capitalism encourages.

If we can pressure companies enough to change internal practices in regards to sexual harassment by convincing them it impacts their bottom line, they'll do it. If they see morons coming to bat for them in droves because of some misplaced faith, they won't do anything different and people will be hurt because of it.

Even if this story isn't as the victims have presented it, it is in our best interest as consumers to scream bloody murder at the company.

Companies have feelings too. If Uncharted 5 has a Metacritic score lower than 97 I'm blaming you personally.

This happens everywhere, even in churches. The solution is to not consume anything that you do not create yourself. It's just not feasible to boycot all companies (or singleout a company), you would be left with nothing.

I mean, churches also often have really messed up power dynamics and abstinence stuff can easily lead to this. I'm not sure if they are a great thing to point to as evidence that it's everywhere, but more so as a place where this would most likely pop up commonly.

I do agree this is likely present in most, if not all large companies. But people should be able to make their own decisions, as some companies will have much more toxic or immoral work environments than others.

Remember kids, if you aren't taking a stand on 100% of things, you are a hypocrite and have to take a stand on 0% of the things. I have beaten your morality puzzle like the Gordian knot.

DataGhost

I mean i do not in any way condone what (seems to have ) happened. But we cannot condemn a whole company thanks to a couple people out of hundreds, it's mighty dumb. The people involved should face the consequences, hell... maybe get fired. But the companies involved should not suffer as a whole due to the sins of a few.

I do not believe that the company is entirely innocent on the manner and you make it seem like the people are the only reason why they act like that.

Sure, people cam be scum, but part of the reason why they can be is the environment. If it's true that ND and Sony mislead us on creating a culture where there is no coverup, then this sort of reinforces bad behavior as they can get away with it.

meerak

The allegations aren't hard to believe. And it's also possible they aren't true.

We should think of we can have this conversation where everything is grey area.

My first suggestion would be to eliminate any and all hard positions. You shouldn't be subscribing to either "the employees" or the "companies" stance. This is obvious, but most people seem ready to pick a side. I believe that not picking a side is in and of itself a statement as far as this situation goes.

Maybe I am wrong but I feel this whole thing is getting turbo charged by the incorrect hope/idea that sexual harassment is a "both sides" issue, and therefore not usable in the culture/sex counter-war that seems to be raging under trump.

If a group hates "SJWs" and "political correctness" and "affirmative action" then nothing could be better than a female, or gay, Weinstein right about now. And then of course platform wars play into it as well.

Can't people let this play out to a stop before live blogging early conclusions, and demands?
I think you're projecting your own feelings and opinions onto the situation

DataGhost

As it happens everywhere, then people have the right to condemn them in their own manner. If they choose to boycott the companies that support this behavior, what right do you have to tell others what they are doing with their money especially for something I would not consider a necessity(a video game company)?

The only alternative that you could possibly suggest is that we must still buy their products and let it happen. Otherwise, I do not understand what you are trying to say with your post as it is really dismissive

Alo0oy

Banned
If only gamers got angry at sexual harassment as much as they do at loot boxes or online-only, maybe this shit won't be as prominent in the industry.

Solid journalism from Schreier. Just like he says, the story ain't told yet. This is just another chapter. Best not jump to conclusions.

Hoo-doo

Banned
We just need more info to form a conclusion either way, people staunchly defending one side over the other with the current knowledge we have are all fools.

But I got to say, putting a co-worker on blast and sending the email to the entire company is him directly contributing to this toxic, unfriendly and high-stress work environment that people claim is present at ND. That kind of stuff wouldn't fly in any decent company.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
If only gamers got angry at sexual harassment as much as they do at loot boxes or online-only, maybe this shit won't be as prominent in the industry.

It's not the industry's fault. This is a human problem.

brian!

Humans not having agency within the industry is the entire story...

There are direct parallel's to weinstein's situation, and there is not much benficial imo in equivocating someone else's crimes to weinstein's crimes. Sexual harassment and abuse is unacceptable regardless of the extent.

But the question is NOT how do we root out individual predators or stop this type of behavior, as if these ppl are some fucking outlier or crazy coincidence. It really really fucking sucks when the main result of calling someone out or exposong them is them having to change their linkedin page and the status quo just keeps rolling on

Music industry
Publishing industry
Video game industry
Entertainment industry

This shit is normalized across the board

Top Bottom