• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: How To Use Twitter In 2017, Maybe

Link.

It's a long read so check the article. I'll just post the first part and the list.

In 2014, we published a list of video game people to follow on Twitter. I’m not sure I’d give the same advice today.

Twitter is a very different place than it used to be in 2014, when our list of which video game people to follow was originally published. Sometimes it’s a laugh riot of interesting jokes and affection. Other days just opening the app feels like torture. I remember joining the platform in early 2013, and it felt like an experimental, free form space where you could throw thoughts out into the void without a care in the world. Now those thoughts are dredged up when you say something problematic and some stranger wants something to email to your boss.

But it’s not like Twitter’s dead. It’s still a good place to keep up with the news, to get some scoops, or just take the temperature about how the community feels about something. On the best days, it’s still an awesome place to make friends. That’s why people are still on it, and maybe that’s why you want to use Twitter too.

Like all social media platforms, Twitter had a shelf life before it started to get weird and bad. I’ve been through the gamut. I remember LiveJournal with a perhaps undue fondness, but, while I was in high school, the company was bought and they shut down a lot of fanfiction communities. My friends and I scattered when they started placing ads on our blogs. Tumblr was fun, once, if you can believe it. In 2014, it seemed like every day on Twitter you’d meet a new friend. Now, you’re more likely to make a lifelong enemy entirely by accident.

In 2017, then, you need less of a list of people to follow, and more of guideline for how to keep your head above water.

As far as our actual list, In 2014 we recommended some genuinely cool and interesting people to follow like artist Olly Moss or our newly hired Features Editor Chris Kohler. But now, some of these picks are duds. Vince Zampella, CEO of Respawn, was on our old list. He hasn’t tweeted since May 13th and mostly it was pictures of the Santa Monica pier. There are a few other people on the list who are still active professionals in games but just don’t tweet about games as often as they used to. They shouldn’t have to, of course. But that makes them a poor suggestion three years later.

If you peruse the old list, some of those people are still worth a follow, as far as I’m concerned. I still do follow Hideo Kojima, but mostly for his fanboying over Mad Mikkelsen. And you know, I still recommend you follow Chris Kohler. He’s alright. It’s not a bad basic reference point—it’s just that Twitter has changed, and I’d be remiss if I encouraged someone to be more active on the platform without explaining to them what they’re gonna get.

In 2013, Twitter still had some semblance of being about people and everyday life. You could tweet about your lunch and others would be genuinely interested in whatever you had for lunch! Now, it’s more about l’esprit de l’escalier. It’s a collection of witty retorts or real cool insults people workshop while on the toilet. If you’re tweeting a pic of your lunch it better come with a post-modern joke about the nature of lunch and man. For better or worse, Twitter is impersonal now. In 2017, it’s less about who you follow than how you use Twitter.

With all that in mind, here’s a few of my suggestions:

Artists

Cool Box Art | Posts cool box art, with an emphasis on vintage covers and international variants.

Mushbuh | Artist for upcoming game Burrito Galaxy, maker of neat hats.

Corey Schmitz | Graphic Designer responsible for that really cool Rez Infinite box art, among other things.

Paper Beats Scissors | Will bless your timeline with cartoons of cats.

Olly Moss | A cool dude who makes good art and frequently tweets it.

Alex Norris | That guy who makes comics where the punchline is always “oh no.”

Cara McGee | Sells really cute stickers of Dragon Age characters and mugs with sharks on them.

Eliza Gauger | Makes pagan glyphs to help solve your problems.

Funny People

Point and Clickbait | The Onion, but for video games.

Austin Creed | Professional Wrestler, games YouTuber, all around good dude.

Pippin Barr | An inciteful indie dev you should follow for his funny “Game Idea” tweets.

Leon | One of your favorite video game memes probably originated from here.

SungWon Cho | You may remember him as the only good video game Viner. His Twitter is also good.

Melville House | Cool tweets about neat books.

Andrew W.K. | Tweets “party tips” for loving yourself.

Dril | A joke account that also inadvertently catalogues of every way to be mad online.

Mitski | A very good singer songwriter with some great tweets.

Chrissy Teigen | Model, side eye-er, newly a Kotaku reader.

Anjali Bihmani | Symmetra’s voice actress really loves being Symmetra’s voice actress.

Bots

Shiba Pic | A bot that tweets pictures of Shiba Inus.

Gradients | A bot that tweets randomly generated gradients.

Tiny Foods | Pictures of tiny foods.

Pleasant Subtweets | A bot that tweets vague, but kind things.

Metal Band.exe | Autogenerated Metal band names and logos.

If You Really Want To Get Gaming News From Twitter, Here Ya Go

John Ricciardi | Co-founder of 8-4, lots of great Tweets about Japanese games.

Daniel Ahmad | Good source for news on the Chinese games market.

Phil Spencer | Xbox big shot who spills some good stuff from time to time.

Steam Spy | All the data visualization about Steam you could ever want.

Nibellion | Always on top of the latest gaming news, usually delivering sharp jokes to boot.

NeoGaf New Thread | A bot that automatically links to every new thread on video game forum NeoGaf.

Wario64 | One of the best guys to follow for quick heads-ups on video game deals, also shares plenty of other interesting stuff.

Liz England | Game designer at Ubisoft Toronto that makes cool interactive fiction games on the side.

Naomi Clark | Professor at the NYU Game Center. Also into comics.

Check out the link.

Kouriozan

Now it's Scoopmaster Nibel.

GIUYU9C.png

psyfi

Banned
It's funny to see Mitski on there. She's definitely cool, just didn't expect her on a Kotaku list.

Gator86

I can't imagine the hell that is following the GAF new threads bot. Just a timeline full of RTTP: Bloodborne; Is it just me or do other people want to post about how overrated Naughty Dog games are; I made out with my Switch and it deserves a port of FF7 Remake.

Can't say I agree with the "Twitter got weird and bad" portion of this article. I get the popular thing is to harp on is negativity on social media but I don't see how it's a problem that can't be fixed with a couple clicks. Whenever I've run into someone being obnoxious are an asshole I mute them. Simple. No need to engage with something that'll do nothing but cause you grief.

Then again it could just be satire since the "Stop Posting" section reads like a parody to me. "Here's how to use Twitter. Don't."

Their picks for who to follow are pretty good. Should have put Kaz in there though.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Twitter was useless for me until I found a bunch of cool people in the 500-5000 follower range who treat it more like a conversational space and less like Instagram

Madness

Twitter around 2011 was great to follow insiders and people. Before they had checkmarks and before random dozens of eggs and bots and alt right or tumblr users turned even regular tweets into giant debates. Now it is soam and indignance and people rarely tweet themselves now. Still find it is a good source to get information. But actually talking to people through twitter has gone away I feel.

Can't say I agree with the "Twitter got weird and bad" portion of this article. I get the popular thing is to harp on is negativity on social media but I don't see how it's a problem that can't be fixed with a couple clicks. Whenever I've run into someone being obnoxious are an asshole I mute them. Simple. No need to engage with something that'll do nothing but cause you grief.

Then again it could just be satire since the "Stop Posting" section reads like a parody to me. "Here's how to use Twitter. Don't."

Their picks for who to follow are pretty good. Should have put Kaz in there though.
When you get hundreds of hate tweets and death threats (especially if you're a woman in gaming), you'll see how it's not so easy and more laborious to deal with.

Top Bottom