• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry is doing an Avatar console vs PC comparison using Performance Mode PS5 vs PC Unobatanium Settings

Vick

lol I actually remember watching this. Though to be fair the question is definitely cringeworthy. Cant blame Alex for this one.
Just the title of that video alone would have been enough to set him off.
It's the wrong video, I apologize. Let me find the right one.

Found it SlimySnake SlimySnake & GHG GHG .

His expressions..

Vince Vaughn Lol GIF by filmeditor

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: GHG

dottme

If he wanted to show how the game scale the best option would have been to compare PC potato mode vs PC all option mode. If he really wanted to compare with console, it should have check how low it goes with XSS.
but instead he chose PS5 perf mode to show the lower detail version, I really wonder why.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Just the title of that video alone would have been enough to set him off.
The title is likely from him. The actual question from the patreon user is actually a lot more nuanced. He is specifically talking about the noise generated by Path tracing and whether or not baked time of day games like AW2 and TLOU2 benefit from it as much as say cyberpunk.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

And there is still no difference lol.
Bugaga fails again

This here is "let's compare ferrari to fiat500" and oh wow. The ferrari runs faster

No. Not really. The face pic looks a bit different. But just different. Not better.
All other pics are maaaaybe resolution if you take a very close look.
Edit: if you call those a difference, I guarantee most o md you wouldn’t be able to tell which is which. The games look identical on all platforms this gen for the most part.

His pc obsession is exactly the same as people here and all over the internet recently.

No. I don’t have to zoom in. There is no difference.

Yes for resolution and fps. I don’t consider these things are difference. That’s obvious.

The differences are basically non existent.

I am looking. There is no difference lol. The difference is nothing.

These are pathetic, small differences. If anything serving to show that uber pc settings look essentially the same to lowly consoles.

Now resolution and image quality in motion is probably other thing. But static it's almost petty to say that there are differences

He have a very hard time accepting any winds or equals for console.

Iraqi-Information-Minister.jpg

Zuzu

It will be a bloodbath then because the image quality is significantly downgraded in performance mode on Series X. If anyone has played Dying Light 2 in performance mode on Series S you will know how bad that is. Well Avatar, while definitely better than that game and mode on Series S, does have some similarities in image quality to that (especially wrt to effects like smoke - it looks blocky/pixelated and gross like the foliage in Dying Light 2 on Series S performance mode).

It even doesn’t look very good when I connect my Series X up to my 1080p monitor. There needs to be a 40fps mode. Image quality is very good in 30fps mode but it’s 30fps with average motion blur implementation.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

Looking at the screenshots it doesn’t look that much of a difference , in motion on pc vs PS5 you can tell but let me tell you its clearer and higher fps but you need extreme upscaling and frame generation.

It comes down to convenience as this game isn’t available on steam and supports adaptive triggers and haptics BUT you need to have your Dualsense wired.

So your fiddling with either Ubisoft or epic launchers, getting your Dualsense out and plugging it in or accepting M&K or Xbox controllers.

Or just take the image quality hit pay far less and just chill with the PS5 version, unless your only playing games for comparisons and doing A - B comparisons you’ll have the same essential experience.

It will get a natural bump when the pro comes out.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Native 4k? No PC can do that. DLSS/FSR performance mode? You can do that with a PC under 2k.
Yes. Hes using DLSS Performance, not even DLSS quality to do his unobtanium settings at 60 fps. his PC is a 4090 which is $1,649 before taxes alone. his CPU is a 12900k which was a $600 CPU. Not sure if he upgraded to 13900K.

Add in cooling, ram, motherboard, case, ssd, power supply and you are easily looking at a $3k PC before taxes. Add 10% sales tax in the U.S or 20% vat if you're europe and you are looking at $300-600 in taxes alone.

$5k is too much, but no one is running this game at 4k dlss performance using unobtanium settings. You need a 4090 for it.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Looking at the screenshots it doesn’t look that much of a difference , in motion on pc vs PS5 you can tell but let me tell you its clearer and higher fps but you need extreme upscaling and frame generation.

It comes down to convenience as this game isn’t available on steam and supports adaptive triggers and haptics BUT you need to have your Dualsense wired.

So your fiddling with either Ubisoft or epic launchers, getting your Dualsense out and plugging it in or accepting M&K or Xbox controllers.

Or just take the image quality hit pay far less and just chill with the PS5 version, unless your only playing games for comparisons and doing A - B comparisons you’ll have the same essential experience.

yeah I would play a game at 240p rather than having to deal with ubisoft pc launcher lol

Spyxos

Gold Member
It seems he wants to show just how amazing the PC unobatinum port is compared to the console version, but if he wants to show the BEST the PC has to offer and the worst the console has to offer then shouldnt he be doing a series s to unobtanium mode? That will show off the difference in the most stark terms.
Ah right, I forgot about the Series S version.

T4keD0wN

Its correctly labeled as performance mode, they are not vaguely omitting the mode so i dont see a problem, if anything it makes what the console version looks like look impressive by comparison.

Valid comparison? Disingenious? I know Alex is beloved around here and want to know what Alex's biggest fan club has to say about this.
He shouldnt be comparing the perf mode against some hidden setting though, but its not like he is being deceitful. Now let me shamefully proceed to hide my Alex fanboy t-shirt under my 25″ Alex Fanboy pillow.

Last edited:

shamoomoo

Alex's obsession with PC is nauseating. You can literally see him grimace whenever a conversation about consoles comes up on their show.

If anything, they should be using the most common PC specs to compare to consoles, which are considerably worse than whatever he's using.
No,I didn't think so. If we have our preferred platforms to play on then I don't take issue with Alex's PC centric post, it's his fake impartiality that frazzles my mind with his "comparisons."

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
they did the same with Spider-man I believe. When the game looks too good on PS5 in fidelity mode to compare vs PC they use the worst looking mode available on PS5.
He also used the worse looking mode on PC as he could be downsampling from 6k or more to match the 30fps quality mode, so...

Price is always a factor when you are comparing PC vs Consoles.

Not when you build a PC for everything gaming and not only for visuals and performance for 1 game.

Last edited:

Schmendrick

Starting to think SlimySnake SlimySnake secretly has a crush on Battaglia and is just venting his frustrations because he can't have him. He sure thinks about him A LOT.

Last edited:

shamoomoo

If he wanted to show how the game scale the best option would have been to compare PC potato mode vs PC all option mode. If he really wanted to compare with console, it should have check how low it goes with XSS.
but instead he chose PS5 perf mode to show the lower detail version, I really wonder why.
Alex has a PS5,I'm not sure if he has any Series console.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Alex is just enjoying a game that doesn't run like shit on PC.
let him have his fun
The comparison is mute, a comparison is to show what a player can expect from each platform.
Not everyone is gonna play in performance mode and hardly anybody is going to be playing on PC with those settings

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It begins:

They are getting their workflow sorted for what is to come next.

er.... you've been around enough DF topics to know they always compare the PC versions at their max with console. The video will also have a segment where he does comparison with console equivalent settings to see how far performance can be pushed.

what's different here?

Last edited:

midnightAI

I don't see the problem. Of course it will look better on the PC. But as I understood it, that wasn't his point at all. He just wanted to show how scalable the game is. The game looks great no matter where you play it.
So wouldn't a comparison to PC on lowest settings be a better comparison? Or XSS maybe? Weird to use PS5 for that comparison

zeroluck

I am literally playing this right now on PC with working adaptive trigger/haptics in wireless mode

Just for some exclusives and analysis, yes, that I am pretty sure. Everything else he uses his PC.
and i am pretty sure the console is way cheaper than his PC.

and his using his High End PC to compare a multiplatform game against a console which offers mid-range performance.

so yeah. these kind of comparisons are misleading at best.

TrebleShot

I am literally playing this right now on PC with working adaptive trigger/haptics in wireless mode
It has wireless Adaptive triggers but sorry pal that ain’t haptics , I know exactly what you’re talking about. It’s just dumb rumble.

You can tell , any held button prompts vibrate with detail on PS5

GHG

er.... you've been around enough DF topics to know they always compare the PC versions at their max with console. The video will also have a segment where he does comparison with console equivalent settings to see how far performance can be pushed.

what's different here?

Since when did they do PC comparisons with only the performance mode on consoles?

RaySoft

Valid comparison? Disingenious? I know Alex is beloved around here and want to know what Alex's biggest fan club has to say about this.

He's showing you what you get for all the extra $$$ that high tier PC gives you in image quality compared to a console... You can actually hardly notice any significant difference. At least not worth it's cost.
He literally states he's impressed with their scaling.

Last edited:

shamoomoo

what's different here?
But performance mode is always going to be paired back compared with ultra settings unless the game is really light or the dev wanted one setting for everything. Performance mode is usually the optimized version on consoles so any comparison to ultra is moot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom