• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry is doing an Avatar console vs PC comparison using Performance Mode PS5 vs PC Unobatanium Settings

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Thought this was funny and not just because he's using the Unobtanium settings that literally cant be accessed from the menu unless you launch the game with different parameters, but because he's using the PS5's Performance mode which downgrades settings further when compared to the Quality mode. It actually looks pretty good in comparison shots so maybe he ends up praising the console versions in his final video, but still what a bizarre comparison.

GBPnK6AXcAEKctg

One of the tweets call them out on it and Im not sure if I am buying his reasoning.

Valid comparison? Disingenious? I know Alex is beloved around here and want to know what Alex's biggest fan club has to say about this.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
The same shit he did with his Forza Motorsport video where he used the rt performance mode instead of the visual mode. If he used the visual mode he would notice that the pc version was missing grass and trees left and right. And T10 would atleast saw it earlier and hot fix it. But nope he jist want to make it look better in favor of the pc version.

SlimySnake

Valid-ish. They should compare the best either platform has to offer per game and DF are taking the bold step of deciding for us that 30 FPS on console aint shit which is why the wont even entertain the thought in a comparison.
But they literally spent half of the last DF direct saying GTA6's 30 fps limit is fine because sometimes you have to give up 60 fps for higher fidelity.

Darsxx82

That was already the route that DF was being used. Nor is it new.

That said, in my personal opinion, I would always also include the comparison with the console quality mode. If only to offer an image of how far the console version can be improved in visual fidelity.

S0ULZB0URNE

Thought this was funny and not just because he's using the Unobtanium settings that literally cant be accessed from the menu unless you launch the game with different parameters, but because he's using the PS5's Performance mode which downgrades settings further when compared to the Quality mode. It actually looks pretty good in comparison shots so maybe he ends up praising the console versions in his final video, but still what a bizarre comparison.

GBPnK6AXcAEKctg

One of the tweets call them out on it and Im not sure if I am buying his reasoning.

Valid comparison? Disingenious? I know Alex is beloved around here and want to know what Alex's biggest fan club has to say about this.

The shills continue to get paid.

SlimySnake

Doesn't he always compare to the 60fps mode? As he says, to usually generate his 'optimized' settings. Very, very few PC players will play games at 30fps.
I dont know if he always does it, but it makes no sense to do that when console 60 fps modes this gen have been absolutely trash dropping to 720p in recent games like Lords of the Fallen, Immortals, and FF16. All with downgraded visuals that completely lose the visual fidelity that makes these games look so great in quality modes.

I bought a PC to push 60 fps while using PS5 quality visuals. Not the downgraded mess that it are the current tacked on performance modes on consoles.

P.S i just played Callisto on PS5 then bought on PC. On PS5 the game drops ALL ray tracing effects in the 60 fps mode and looks like a former shell of itself. Someone like Alex would never recommend we drop ray tracing effects on PC. especially on nvidia cards.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I think it is valid.

30 fps is for masochists and looks worse in motion even with higher resolution.
Actually braindead take.
30fps is fine but the point of df video is not apples to apples "what's possible at 60fps with same specs"
The point of the vid is to compare graphics... you know.. apples to apples.

here you compare 4090 ugabuga settings to ps5.
If you want to compare 60fps graphics vs 60fps graphics you do it on a 2070ti or 400$ bugdet or something.
This here is "let's compare ferrari to fiat500" and oh wow. The ferrari runs faster

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
There is a clear difference in the images he posted on twitter.
No. Not really. The face pic looks a bit different. But just different. Not better.
All other pics are maaaaybe resolution if you take a very close look.
Edit: if you call those a difference, I guarantee most o md you wouldn’t be able to tell which is which. The games look identical on all platforms this gen for the most part. It’s no longer like it was in the past. The biggest difference is Alan wake 2 but that’s just a terrible console port.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I dont know if he always does it, but it makes no sense to do that when console 60 fps modes this gen have been absolutely trash dropping to 720p in recent games like Lords of the Fallen, Immortals, and FF16. All with downgraded visuals that completely lose the visual fidelity that makes these games look so great in quality modes.

I bought a PC to push 60 fps while using PS5 quality visuals. Not the downgraded mess that it are the current tacked on performance modes on consoles.

P.S i just played Callisto on PS5 then bought on PC. On PS5 the game drops ALL ray tracing effects in the 60 fps mode and looks like a former shell of itself. Someone like Alex would never recommend we drop ray tracing effects on PC. especially on nvidia cards.
Callisto is a bad example. That game is fine on ps5 in quality mode and that’s a mode to play in it. Performance mode is bad and shouldn’t exist for it.
Imo performance modes that drop graphics features should not be allowed. I want parity. Just change res and unlock fps and so on.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Alex's obsession with PC is nauseating. You can literally see him grimace whenever a conversation about consoles comes up on their show.

If anything, they should be using the most common PC specs to compare to consoles, which are considerably worse than whatever he's using.
His pc obsession is exactly the same as people here and all over the internet recently. People acting like they discovered 144fps and pc gaming yesterday. Welcome too year 2000. Ive been there and later and I’ve made full circle to enjoy console gaming. Raw power of pc isn’t that important to me anymore. For the most part.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Higher resolution, better reflections and water, better global illumination, and better volumetrics.

Didn't even have to zoom in to notice all of that.
No. I don’t have to zoom in. There is no difference.

Yes for resolution and fps. I don’t consider these things are difference. That’s obvious.

That other stuff? No. Just no. It’s not something you would notice without direct comparison then it matter.
Beside are you looking at different pics than me? The differences are basically non existent.

Spyxos

Gold Member

GBPnK6AXcAEKctg

I don't see the problem. Of course it will look better on the PC. But as I understood it, that wasn't his point at all. He just wanted to show how scalable the game is. The game looks great no matter where you play it.

Guilty_AI

i think its fine. Problem is people here are wired to see these comparisons for some sort of clout.

I see absolutely no point in matching a PC spec to a console spec using arbitrary numbers that will certainly not translate to the actual performance of a console, like NXgamer does. All his comparisons ever tell me is "Do not cheap out on your CPU!".

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
i think its fine. Problem is people here are wired to see these comparisons for some sort of clout.

I see absolutely no point in matching a PC spec to a console spec using arbitrary numbers that will certainly not translate to the actual performance of a console, like NXgamer does. All his comparisons ever tell me is "Do not cheap out on your CPU!".
NxGamer is the PS fanboy equivalent of Alex but some people here like to pretend that he's impartial.

Zathalus

No. I don’t have to zoom in. There is no difference.

Yes for resolution and fps. I don’t consider these things are difference. That’s obvious.

That other stuff? No. Just no. It’s not something you would notice without direct comparison then it matter.
Beside are you looking at different pics than me? The differences are basically non existent.
Better water in the first image, better illumination on the character in the second, and more defined volumetrics (or godrays) in the third and fourth image. As I said, extremely easy to spot.

Heck, just looking at the fourth image I can spot better AO on the cables on the ground as well.

SlimySnake

I don't see the problem. Of course it will look better on the PC. But as I understood it, that wasn't his point at all. He just wanted to show how scalable the game is. The game looks great no matter where you play it.

It seems he wants to show just how amazing the PC unobatinum port is compared to the console version, but if he wants to show the BEST the PC has to offer and the worst the console has to offer then shouldnt he be doing a series s to unobtanium mode? That will show off the difference in the most stark terms.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Better water in the first image, better illumination on the character in the second, and more defined volumetrics (or godrays) in the third and fourth image. As I said, extremely easy to spot.

Heck, just looking at the fourth image I can spot better AO on the cables on the ground as well.
I am looking. There is no difference lol. The difference is nothing. yeah the water reflection is a bit higher res I guess? unobtanium 4090 my ass.
The only difference is a bit more light on forehead of that blue lady.
None of those are worth mentioning and let alone pointing out. These are pathetic, small differences. If anything serving to show that uber pc settings look essentially the same to lowly consoles.

Now resolution and image quality in motion is probably other thing. But static it's almost petty to say that there are differences

Top Bottom