• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: "Injustice 2's Facial Animation Is So Good It's Uncanny"

PtM

Banned
Nah, not with those eyebrows

8Ho7aHj.gif

EDIT: Although that might just be awful acting tbf, the lips and everything look good.
Nah, CGI movies overdo the eyebrows regularly.

Khezu

The facial mocap stuff they were doing was kinda worrying me pre release because it looked fucking weird in some of the early gameplay.

Thankfully they mostly stuck the landing.
It could have gone real bad.

That punk ass loser Blue Beetle still looks kinda bad though.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I don't see this.

I do. Things seem to move without reacting to one another. Even that clip of Wonderwoman has her mouth and eyebrowes seemingly counter acting one another. Its just very odd to me, like they overdid each animation and didn't balance them out so it feels like her face is giving reactions to very different things instead of a cohesive read.

Edit: I actually think it looks really good especially for the genre, just really odd at times.

btags

Is this gaming using a modified unreal engine 3? Or have they moved on to 4 yet? Either way it is looking good.

cakely

Looks great! My only issue is that the mouth movements may be too exaggerated. It's a minor complaint, though.

Ridley327

Is this gaming using a modified unreal engine 3? Or have they moved on to 4 yet? Either way it is looking good.

It's still their custom UE3 build that they've been using. Considering how much NRS has had to modify it over the years, it may as well be a whole new engine at this point.

btags

It's still their custom UE3 build that they've been using. Considering how much NRS has had to modify it over the years, it may as well be a whole new engine at this point.

No doubt. It is cool to think though that this is based on tech that shipped the first Gears of War though (not to say they are similar in anyway, but just crazy how much of it has been modified to get to the point that it is at now).

The game knows it, too -- there are many closeups of characters' faces throughout the story for no apparent reason other than to show off the animation.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Its not bad but it suffers from the issue of one part of the face moving and none of the rest of the face reacting or moving. People's mouths are incredibly emotive but their eyes are often staring straight ahead, their brow's are like plastic, etc. Its really good especially for what is a fighting game but I don't know, it stood out immediately watching even a few clips.

Noticed this too. Nobody would keep their head and neck locked into place like that the way WW does when she's moving her face so much.

Hasney

I really want to know if there's a story behind the facial improvement from the beta. Like, it's wild, the beta faces just looked like typical Netherealm finished product and then BAM, they nail it. Just wondering if it was always planned or they did focus on polishing it up as the facial animation was already in the beta, just not the face models.

There is a scene with Ivy in Arkham Asylum where from away she looks like a real life actress or cosplayer playing her. Her and Harley are where you see the most of the improved facial animations.

vg260

I expect not to be creeped out. Yet here we are.

It's a campy superhero flick for a fighting game most people are going to watch once and never touch again. It was a huge improvement to past ones, but most importantly, the facial animations and expressiveness added to the FUN.

I usually don't care for the story modes for fighters, but I had a great time with it, and the improved facial work was a big part of it.

Toni

Looks great! My only issue is that the mouth movements may be too exaggerated. It's a minor complaint, though.

I keep going back to that Diana gif and still am amazed at how the facial expression pop out vividly.

This is the level of depth in facial animations that I feel like should be standard by now in the gaming industry. Its a section in video game development thats progressing very slowly.

Naughty Dog seems to be single handely carrying the torch for top animation work at the moment, so I am thoroughly happy Netherrealm really stepped it up in a genre where we least expected.

Mesoian

But is it as good as:

until%20dawn%20stormare%20gif.gif

?

No...but they also didn't get Peter Stormare.

It's funny, back when this game was announced, I was super critical of the cutscene animations and didn't mind the combat animations that much. Due to the powers that be, now that the game is released, I feel the exact opposite, with the combat animation being offputting but the facial design and animation being pretty damn excellent.

Yeah, the facial animations are ridiculous. Reminds me of the next step/evolution of that Halo 4 gif with the commander. Definitely going to play through the story mode one day. I would really like to see a making of for the tech behind it.

Top Bottom