• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Installing Xbox One games takes way too long; comparison

Soule

I just saw the Kotaku article now and must say I really approve of the music they used int he comparison video haha.

cormack12

Gold Member
The way Cerny described the PlayGo system made me think it just streams from disc in the first instance. When data on the bluray is accessed it is thrown over to HDD then.

At the New York City unveiling of the system, Cerny talked about PlayGo, the system by which the console will download digital titles even as they're being played.

"The concept is you download just a portion of the overall data and start your play session, and you continue your play session as the rest downloads in the background," he explained to Gamasutra.

However, PlayGo "is two separate linked systems," Cerny said. The other is to do with the Blu-ray drive -- to help with the fact that it is, essentially, a bit slow for next-gen games.

"So, what we do as the game accesses the Blu-ray disc, is we take any data that was accessed and we put it on the hard drive. And if then if there is idle time, we go ahead and copy the remaining data to the hard drive. And what that means is after an hour or two, the game is on the hard drive, and you have access, you have dramatically quicker loading... And you have the ability to do some truly high-speed streaming."

Another way the the PS4 team is helping boost the performance of games on Blu-Ray is using a type of compression called zlib for the data on the disc. This will assist in the console's on-the-fly decoding of disc-based games.

To further help the Blu-ray along, the system also has a unit to support zlib decompression -- so developers can confidently compress all of their game data and know the system will decode it on the fly. "As a minimum, our vision is that our games are zlib compressed on media," said Cerny.

The secret sauce appears to be the zlib compression at this moment (disc games only). Interview above is taken from gamasutra: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/191007/inside_the_playstation_4_with_mark_.php?print=1

Petrae

Why do they have installs in the first place? Weren't consoles supposed to be plug in and play some years ago?

Installs were one of my pet peeves from the last generation and another reason I'm steering clear of this new generation.

I get the references to tape drives and disc drives from early PCs, but then we moved to carts-- which were no-wait experiences-- and discs (CD/DVD/GD), which took a bit of access time here and there but didn't require blocks of idle time like installs/patches do today for many people.

PS3 was the worst offender. Install, patch, then play... and then maybe another patch down the road (unless, until recently, you paid Sony for the privilege of automatic all downloading & installing patches from standby). Lots of waiting.

Then comes management of your hard drive space, which limited my PS3 game-buying habits and forced tough decisions as to what to delete to make room and would likely be an issue (without spending more cash on an extra/alternative HDD) again this gen.

Not for me.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Pretty much this, the consoles multi-task now, I've got a HTPC, I've got my own place to look after, dishes to wash, lunch to pack for the next day, work clothes to change out of etc. I'll just put the disc in the drive, "do stuff" for 10 minutes before I'm even ready to consider playing a game then check up on it and see how it goes.

I do recall the GTAV install on my PS3 being about 10 minutes or so, thank fuck for my smartphone to distract me.

I'm not sure what you're saying with this. These comparisons still serve a purpose for many people.
Sure, everyone is able to "deal with it" and distract themselves for a while during the installation period, but why would you want to? It's not a life-or-death situation obviously, but it's a distinct difference in the user experience.
Usually when I insert a disc, i'm inserting it with the specific purpose to play the game right then and there.

Being forced to wait for X minutes before playing is simply a negative experience for any gaming device. The less time between impulsively deciding to play a game and actually playing it, the better. Sony was the only one putting actual thought about the user experience in this situation, it seems like.

This PlayGo system is something that vastly improves the end-user experience. This is not debatable. It's okay for people to be positive about it, you know.

Your rants about "I want the data to be 100% installed before I even dare to touch the play-button" sounds like an old man yelling at a cloud to me, and is probably not at all representative of even the tiniest percentage of the actual userbase.
This system is going to be a very welcome addition to anyone looking to play games on PS4.

cormack12

Gold Member
Your rants about "I want the data to be 100% installed before I even dare to touch the play-button" sounds like an old man yelling at a cloud to me,

That proper made me LOL.

I had more issues with deleting on the PS3 to be honest. Especially games that had 2GB+ installs. Just hung for ages on deleting... no progress bar or anything. Cancel then you have corrupted data and could work out the size of it.

Nightmare.

The secret sauce appears to be the zlib compression at this moment (disc games only). Interview above is taken from gamasutra: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/191007/inside_the_playstation_4_with_mark_.php?print=1

ZLib is so incredibly well known for so long it can't be any sort of secret sauce. More like blindingly obvious sauce. I guess the difference is that this gen games don't have to run off the disc AT ALL, so can be stored compressed even there.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Do the install times really matter?

Its just a once off thing and then its done.

Go get a drink or take a piss while its installing.

You do have to find it a lil funny that MS and Sony did a 180 from their last consoles...

Like it was already stated....seems like Sony learned and MS didnt.

cormack12

Gold Member
ZLib is so incredibly well known for so long it can't be any sort of secret sauce. More like blindingly obvious sauce. I guess the difference is that this gen games don't have to run off the disc AT ALL, so can be stored compressed even there.

Yeah it;s old tech. I'm wondering though if the PS4 might have a dedicated chip for this? That quote from Cerny implies that the game does run from disc though. Direct from blu ray @ 22-24MBps and when the game accesses the file for the first time from the blu ray it then copies it to the HDD for future use.

Any idle time during the game after this then a 'trickel' install is activated.

cormack12

Gold Member
No. From your own quote (bit you didn't bold):

Yes but the full quote is:

"...as the game accesses the Blu-ray disc, is we take any data that was accessed and we put it on the hard drive. And if then if there is idle time, we go ahead and copy the remaining data to the hard drive..."

So let's simplify it. You start Shadowfall. It loads data from disc that draws the menu and copies it to the HDD at the same time. It proceeds to do the same for the first level in campaign mode. You quit and start again, it now uses the copies of the files on the HDD and during the idle time copies over unaccessed files thus far.

Caveated at the end of my post with: "Any idle time during the game after this then a 'trickle' install is activated."

Activated is probably the wrong word. Sub for 'in progress'

Raist

Banned
Yes but the full quote is:

"...as the game accesses the Blu-ray disc, is we take any data that was accessed and we put it on the hard drive. And if then if there is idle time, we go ahead and copy the remaining data to the hard drive..."

So let's simplify it. You start Shadowfall. It loads data that draws the menu and copies it to the HDD at the same time. It proceeds to do the same for the first level in campaign mode. You quit and start again, it now uses the copies of the files on the HDD and during the idle time copies over unaccessed files thus far.

Caveated at the end of my post with: "Any idle time during the game after this then a 'trickle' install is activated."

Activated is probably the wrong word. Sub for 'in progress'

No. Discs aren't being accessed 100% of the time even when you play the thing for the first time. There will always be idle times.

cormack12

Gold Member
No. Discs aren't being accessed 100% of the time even when you play the thing for the first time. There will always be idle times.

So the point you're making is that installing unaccessed data and loading requested data can be parallel streams (i.e. happen in tandem)? Have I got that right?

Next-gen speed
ibnFoX45YUI95I.gif

This GIF will be even more epic if you change Kaz with Yoshida and Mattrick with Spencer or Penello.

Can you do that DemonNite? ;-)

It matters a great deal. Nothing worse than sitting down to enjoy a game only to be met with lengthy install times.

Hated it PS3, will undoubtedly hate it even more here...

Elvick

Banned

Of course they matter... it's an obstacle that's become standard in the industry (minus Wii U). So it's part of the experience. And Xbone makes it a bad one.

I know I always sigh in disappointment and roll my eyes when I pop in a PS3 game all excited, only to be met with an install screen.

Is it a deal breaker? For most, probably not. But for some it may be the push they need to pick the $100 cheaper console. You never know.

And, I think we can all agree that we'd rather have it faster than slower. Regardless of preference otherwise.

The GoW games mask loading by making you run Kratos through random long hallways for no apparent reason.

The hallways are there so the game can load the next area while you run through them.

Yes, and those "mash O to open door" sequences are actually loading too, I believe. But the techniques used are immaterial, as long as they don't obviously screw up the game flow. Which IMHO does not happen in GoW.

Rafterman

Banned
I

Your rants about "I want the data to be 100% installed before I even dare to touch the play-button" sounds like an old man yelling at a cloud to me, and is probably not at all representative of even the tiniest percentage of the actual userbase.
This system is going to be a very welcome addition to anyone looking to play games on PS4.

Especially considering the amount of hype and anticipation that people had going into this generation with instant gaming and standby. Now people are downplaying this? I'm not buying it as objective criticism.

Yeah it does take a while to fully install a game, and I was surprised by the 6GB update for Forza 5, but I could play the game almost immediately upon inserting the disc, and it continued to install while I was playing the game so it wasn't a big deal.

Really? Stop with the BS, esically since Microsoft has revealed more first party games than Sony has.

On Topic: I agree it is a pain in the ass. One of the problems with the Bone, that will probably get fixed.

Yes, MS was just as focused on games as Sony, and this is the result. This certainly makes them seem less incompetent than they might appe....oh wait.

Jeff-DSA

Last night I had a couple of hours free to play. I put NBA2k14 in for the first time and it took one hour and 12 minutes to install. After that I took another five minutes registering my online info. By that point I didn't even have time to play a full online game, so I quit and watched Twitch for half an hour instead.

Terrible experience.

jroc74

Whats wild is after Metal Gear Solid 4 for the PS3, Sony went with a here n there approach with having games install. Some did, some didnt or didnt install as much as MG.

There was even an update to MG with the option to install the entire game all at once. So even with MG, it didnt install the game all the way when it first came out.

Yeah it matters. If you only have an hour or so to play that hot new game you just bought and it takes 15 minutes to install, that's a pretty big chunk of time wasted.

Tagyhag

Did you read the article, it actually says why... "Both the Xbox One and PS4 require all games to be installed from the disc, due to the increasing size of games and the relatively low speed of optical drives"

Or would you like to return to PSone loading or Morrowind on Xbox loading?

I understand that, but we really should have gone past the need for that, technology needs to hurry up. Or at least do a seamless install while downloading like Steam does.

Or bring back cartridges. :D

wizzbang

Banned

Who says my desires represent the majority?
I'm in the minority as default, I'm installing an SSD.
I just want to know Sony has designed it properly, so that people who couldn't give a shit are satisfied and those who do give a shit are satisfied.

My intention is that every PS4 game I own is only ever read by the BD once, EVER. Copied to local HDD, I'll fire it up when it's finished and not a moment sooner.

And for the other 9 minutes?

I was expecting Shadowfall to take at least 10 to 20 minutes. I had to check my hdd space to make sure it actually installed the game correctly becuase it was so quick.

As a PS3 owner, I'd say that no, it doesn't really matter in the long run; having installs when the X360 didn't clearly didn't destroy the PS3's chances. But also as a PS3 owner, I'd say that long install times suck, especially as someone who has limited play time.

I see this more as another "what was MS thinking?" moment. Installs and updates were a consistent complaint about the PS3, and the X360 was consistently held as a system that handled installs and updates in a good way. The state of things with the XBone make it seem like MS weren't really thinking about this stuff, or had the attitude of "Sony will have installs too so who cares if we do too" without expecting Sony to implement this background install capability.

But XBone owners will get used to it; millions of PS3 owners learned to accept it. They just need to be prepared for jabs on it until it gets fixed or the next-next gen arrives.

Mael

ps3 owner here, I can tell you that it's a major turn off and why it's mostly a bluray player for most of its life.
Same for psp, nothing worse than launching a game and being met with half an hour of install because the system suck so much it have to install data from the disc.

Yeah never again.

Shit, those are some massive time differences.

Yes? How quickly you can pop in a disc and start playing does matter (can't count how many times I've seen this mentioned as a huge issue on some PS3 games like DMC4 and MGS4).

jroc74

Do the install times matter?

For those that really want an Xbox One, no. Like it was mentioned, millions of PS3 owners didnt mind, maybe a few here n there. I am one that didnt mind...and I have both a PS3 and 360. Every console since I can remember had pros n cons. No console was/is perfect. Install times was a con for PS3, pro for 360.

Now its just reversed, thats all. But its still a pro/con bullet. I still wanna pick up an Xbox One..still wanted one even before the policy reversals. So in the end lots of things dont really matter if you really want something.

Many ppl jumped to AT&T when the iPhone was exclusive there. PS3 had inferior wireless hardware/online experience vs the 360, didnt really matter to many. PS+ IMO is the better value, doesnt really matter to many. All I will say is I might get an XBO just for exclusives....multi platform games might be PS4 only for me. Like with Madden on the orig Xbox vs the PS2, switching players was easier on the PS platform. The extra shoulder buttons made picking receivers easier on the PS platform.

Pros n cons will always exists for everything.

Zaibach

Banned
Its the pathetic attiude of protecting their relationship with microsoft vs customers/their audience. Really is deplorable. The things I've heard haven't mattered this gen seemed to produce hourly "sony doomed?" Published Fud. I've never been condescended to as a consumer of anything as much as we've been with hardware/visuals/gaming knowledge from game media in general. We need alternate media that calls out this nonsense and has no ties to pander to.

Its going to be a long generation

So, does anyone have any idea why it takes so long? Other than being forced to wait for the title updates, which doesn't affect offline loading.

Hazelhurst

To be fair, players are able to play digital games off their hard drives, while a disc game is installing on the Xbox One. I don't know if PS4 can do the same though.
I was playing Killzone SF (blu-ray) multiplayer yesterday, while the LEGO Marvel demo downloaded and installed in the background. I even got a notification when it finished, while playing Killzone. There was no interruption in my gameplay. It was all silent and unobtrusive.

Top Bottom