• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: It's Reckoning Day For Nintendo Switch Rumor Reporters

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry to disappoint you but they already made a handheld which is also a home, it's called Vita/Vita TV

They could have been the OG's of this handheld gen. Nintendo just has to do everything they didn't do.

SD cards? Check.

Works on your home TV for any game? Check.

We're all good here.

Because they can be true one day, plans change the next, and she has no control over it.

Right. But this isn't "if a tree falls down in the woods" philosophy here. In theory, if this was a solid rumor, there should be a "what happened?" post-mortem to explore now. Yes, things change. And if your initial information was solid, you're not automatically on the hook for being a lying scam artist. But it probably merits examination as to what happened. Now's the time to give those sources another phone call.

I got a lot more cautious after my fuck up trusting the wrong person.

Now I just quietly know stuff and call out bullshit artists like SMD, who offends me in the way he protects (or doesn't protect) his sources.

Ray Down

Banned
It's only gonna get worse.

unknown.png

Mods from Alternate timeline:
Jack-Donaghy-Pouring-Alcohol-Loop-30-Rock.gif

AgeEighty

(long post)

Oh I agree completely. And I definitely don't mean to suggest that all the leakers in the Twittersphere are exercising the full rigor of journalistic standards at all times, or even that the prominent ones such as LPVG haven't stumbled on occasion. I also agree that it's important—for both reporters and readers—to scrutinize reporters' information on a continuing basis, and not get complacent just because they've had a solid record. That's a practice to which I adhere with pretty much all the news and information I read.

I don't think Laura has deployed the "take with a grain of salt" qualifier merely as a catch-all hedge in case her reports end up being inaccurate (at least not specifically in relation to her own posts—she has offered this as good practice with leaks in general). She also has not, to my knowledge, used that in a case where she announced a specific title, as in your StarTropics example. As far as I've seen, she's explained on a case by case basis what her confidence is in the information she's given, and suggested how much confidence to put into it accordingly.

SeanIfOnly

Neo Member
This article is total BS. Yes there are people who make stuff up but most of those listed in the article have been working their sources and reporting accordingly. They always set expectations and have been relatively transparent. This witch hunt mentality is the kind of stuff that would make me not want to report on stuff if I were them... this and all the I told you so's that are sure to follow if Nintendo doesn't show everything they reported on.

This article is total BS. Yes there are people who make stuff up but most of those listed in the article have been working their sources and reporting accordingly. They always set expectations and have been relatively transparent. This witch hunt mentality is the kind of stuff that would make me not want to report on stuff if I were them... this and all the I told you so's that are sure to follow if Nintendo doesn't show everything they reported on.
Schreier is one of the best in the business with leaks and reporting. Calling something he wrote "total BS" and "a witch hunt" is pretty laughable.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
You thought Zelda was going to be Valley of the Flood, didn't you?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That's how real life works though. Everything is constantly changing. Game development and game business is a stormy, violent sea.

Oh, I'm aware, but BG&E2 going from active development and scheduled for release next year to being in the earliest stages of pre-production and scheduled for release another year later, and from a Nintendo game to a multiplatform Ubi game, is not an organic set of events. Either the game was in active development last March or it wasn't, and either Nintendo is publishing the game or it isn't. And again, there's the little fact that the rumour has had trouble staying ahead of public knowledge: the first revision came after Ancel announced that Ubi had greenlit the project (meaning it evidently wasn't in active development seven months earlier) and the second after the Switch reveal came and went without any teaser. I'd be far less skeptical if the rumour were ahead of the curve rather than behind it.

georly

Hmm. I'm trying to see what you're saying but I don't really think this article comes off that way. I imagine most people who read this story will empathize with the subjects (and the amount of pressure they're under). I think it's an interesting story (with a few different angles) and it certainly isn't putting anyone on blast.

The tone of the article itself isn't so much as the framing the article is in. Day of reckoning implies to me that they deserve the ire/embarrassment from the internet pitchfork crowd they'll get if they're wrong. While you don't actually mention that possibility in the article, I'd wager these types of people are chomping at the bit even more to come down hard on them if they're wrong. I'm probably totally off the mark, I'm just worried they have a few more targets on their foreheads than they did before you wrote this, is all.

Good journalistic practices:
0) Don't make things up
1) Ensuring at least two sources for claims
2) Ensuring one of your sources isn't using your other source as a source, because that would just be one source.
3) Employing proper validation of the sources identities as employees of firms in a place to know what they are saying
4) Being very careful to separate what you heard, what you inferred, and what you speculate
5) Being very careful to understand what your sources know, what they infer, and what they speculate
6) Not falling for the tendency of low-ranking sources to represent themselves as more central, connected, or knowledgeable than they are.
7) Not using the fact that other journalists are reporting things as additional coroborration without being sure that their sources are not your sources
8) Being clear when you're repeating a claim another journalist made and when you have independent confirmation about a claim another journalist made
9) Reporting honestly without baiting, teasing, hyping, or withholding
10) Not trying to claim plaudits when you're right if you don't take lumps when you're wrong--"take this with a grain of salt" is absolutely not professional in any capacity, because if you turn out right, you're not going to say "No, no, I was wrong, I didn't know it".
11) Not taking excessive credit for reporting something that a reasonably informed speculator with no information would have concluded.

LPVG are very clearly not making up everything they write whole cloth! It's also quite obvious that as a former Destructoid writer and enterprising blogger-journalist, LKD is capable of seeking out sources--some of which she had probably cultivated before all this. And I take her at her word that her "master list of claims she's made" actually do have the sources she claims they do, and further that she's smart enough not to fall for a faker.

Where I think they are hurt is participating in the circular group of Twitter/YouTube/blog leaker-speculators, who frequently violate 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and especially 9, 10, and 11.

For example, if you have a source in Bethesda Germany who tells you cuts are being made to the new Wolfenstein for the country, that's very plausible. But you might want to verify that they know this for a fact, instead of assuming it to be the case because everyone knows Germany's laws require cuts to Nazi-related content. And then you might further verify that the person's claim is specific to Germany. And if your source also tells you that Elder Scrolls VI is not being worked on, but the source is a QA tester in Bethesda Germany on Wolfenstein, then maybe they aren't in a position to know that Elder Scrolls VI is being worked on or not, and they are making an inference based on what they've seen and heard that is not true. And if you report it as "SOURCE: New Wolfenstein Being Censored", you need to be mindful that what your source was telling you was probably only true for Germany, if at all. And you don't get to weasel out of it by saying "Take with a grain of salt"--and anyway, in the end, if you're right, you've just told people the most obvious thing that anyone could have guessed even without knowing anything.

The good thing about LPVG is that although some of their claims are the normal wishy-washy Nostradamus bullshit, they've made specific claims about specific games and specific claims about those games being prepped for this presentation. There's an obvious W and an obvious L that we can take away tonight. That kind of transparency is good, and I think JSchreier was getting at that.

Oh, and one final thing--someone being correct in the past may well mean that they are not totally full of shit and making up things whole cloth because their psychic premonition told them that Zelda: Valley of the Flood is M rated and b-b-b-based, but it doesn't mean that they are exercising discretion and good practices going forward. The opposite is definitely true--if someone goes out on limb and says StarTropics III by Retro Studios is going to blow your socks off and they announce Donkey Kong, you write them off forever. That's not a "things change", that's a "full of shit". But someone being right does not establish that they will continue to be, and that's why constant vigilance, skepticism, and holding people accountable for errors rather than just remembering successes matters.

This is excellent thank you. You bring up points i wasn't even thinking about that, yeah, they should be doing.

The tone of the article itself isn't so much as the framing the article is in. Day of reckoning implies to me that they deserve the ire/embarrassment from the internet pitchfork crowd they'll get if they're wrong. While you don't actually mention that possibility in the article, I'd wager these types of people are chomping at the bit even more to come down hard on them if they're wrong. I'm probably totally off the mark, I'm just worried they have a few more targets on their foreheads than they did before you wrote this, is all.
Not to say that they deserve a lynch mob, but if you build your reputation, following, credibility and livelihood (even partially) on rumormongering, then yeah this does seem like a day of reckoning for you. In a lot of ways, this is actually a pretty serious topic in terms of investigative news journalism for the industry, and it merits a serious handling of tonight's outcome.

georly

Not to say that they deserve a lynch mob, but if you build your reputation, following, credibility and livelihood (even partially) on rumormongering, then yeah this does seem like a day of reckoning for you. In a lot of ways, this is actually a pretty serious topic in terms of investigative news journalism for the industry, and it merits a serious handling of tonight's outcome.

Yeah, it's fair they deserve criticism and having their credibility shot. My point is I just think using the word reckoning and highlighting them just invites more targeted internet harassment and I wonder if there's another framing this article could have had to maybe not invite that kind of behavior as an outcome.

It's possible i'm way off the mark here, and nothing changes. Just wanted to point out that maybe there was a different way to phrase this thing? "A look at the switch rumor reporters" would have been better than "IT IS THEIR DAY OF RECKONING." If targeted internet harassment weren't a thing I don't think it would matter and I wouldn't be saying this.

Vamphuntr

Seems a lot of those leakers ended up wrong.

Xenoblade and Splatoon weren't port but new games.
300$ USD (one of them said two SKU 249-300)
No Mother 3 at conference
No Zelda

The Hermit

besides the 4chan leak, eveything else was bollocks

and the Switch seems to be very weak, like slighlty above PS3;WiiU gen

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
We're going to lock this thread and given LPVG the benefit of the doubt until at least through the Treehouse thing tomorrow and the coming few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom