• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: It's Reckoning Day For Nintendo Switch Rumor Reporters

Status
Not open for further replies.
We should add neogaf "insiders": 3,2gb Ram for games, no problem to port multigames, CPU stronger than PS4XboxOne, Pascal...... and hello Kevin Polaris

To make sure it can only be good news, plan on the following:

2Gb Ram
Wii U CPU equivalent
B/G Wifi
Resistive touchScreen
2h battery when unplugged
720p on tv, 480p on the go
Cards limited to 16Gb, Nintendo brand only, $40 for 8Gb and $60 for 16Gb

Zelda delayed to September.

Switch delayed to May 5th JP/ US (June 9th for EU), releasing with Animal Crossing HD port and Stardew Valley port

$299

/jk

Hang in there Ninfans, 9ish hours to go! :)

Limited availability.

Wait that will actually be true.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I haven't enjoyed a Nintendo console since the Gamecube, and I really wanna come back. If it comes out even one day late in Europe I'm going to hit the roof, I'm still bitter over how much Nintendo abused us in the 90's.

They better not fuck this up!

Kacho

It's only gonna get worse.

unknown.png

This is amazing. Bravo. 👏🏻

I haven't enjoyed a Nintendo console since the Gamecube, and I really wanna come back. If it comes out even one day late in Europe I'm going to hit the roof, I'm still bitter over how much Nintendo abused us in the 90's.

They better not fuck this up!

Or you'll condemn them to casual disinterest...?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
So would you move your current Gearbox hunger strike to Nintendo's HQ or what?

No, I don't think I could hate anything more than Gearbox.

Except Coldplay, I really fucking hate Coldplay.

jschreier

1. I don't get why people feel the need to crucify leakers when they're wrong rather than ignore them going forward. They're human beings, they either heard incorrectly or made it up. It doesn't matter. No need to do anything other than ignore them going forward.

2. This article seems a bit hypocritical considering his track record in the way he's putting these people in the spotlight. Reckoning? please. Put nintendo on blast, not these people.

3. I hope this article doesn't lead to even MORE people sending targeted harassment at any of these leakers than they were already going to get if it was wrong.

It's kinda neat to have a summary of all the leaks in one place so we can compare and contrast what was right and wrong and who has and doesn't have credibility going forward, but to say its their day of reckoning and that they hopefully won't be embarrassed by all of this seems a tad too much. Jason of all people should know the ire that people reporting on rumors can get. Why invite more?
Hmm. I'm trying to see what you're saying but I don't really think this article comes off that way. I imagine most people who read this story will empathize with the subjects (and the amount of pressure they're under). I think it's an interesting story (with a few different angles) and it certainly isn't putting anyone on blast.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Re: Emily Rogers. I know she's gained a lot of credibility lately and is credited for some spot on leaks, but this statement out of context is kinda funny...

She’s been on the ball, correctly reporting on some hardware details (plus the existence of Paper Mario for Wii U) as well as others that may or may not pan out tonight.

... Like, anyone could have predicted that lol.

I predict there's one for Switch too!

Personally I just think most of the stuff they put out there are educated guesses based on trends and patents. These people having "sources" means that someone who's not supposed to be sharing information is sharing information, jeopardizing their career with one of the biggest video game companies in the world. If you ask me, you'd have to be an idiot to leak information to these random internet personalities.

You underestimate the number of idiots that exist, and the number of us more than happy to take advantage.

Ripenen

Reckoning is pretty dramatic, no?

"Yesterday weather man Tom said it would be cold today. Will it be hot or cold? Tune in to find out on Tom's day of reckoning!"

maxcriden

Jason, I really enjoyed the article. Thank you. I totally read it the way you mentioned you intended above. I just had one question, though, if you can humor me :)

Throughout 2016, Dale has made claims on the Switch’s release date (March 17 in Europe), price (£199.99 and £249.99), and even the full launch lineup, which she reports will include Skyrim and the new Mario. (Zelda: Breath of the Wild has been a point of contention: At first, Dale had reported that the next Zelda would be out this summer; now she says it’s a launch game. A recent Eurogamer report corroborates that Breath of the Wild’s release plans have been in flux.

This is not accurate, is it? It says, in the present tense, that she reports the full launch lineup will include Mario. However, in the article they link, the Deep Dive summary, her latest info on Skyrim and Mario includes:

Skyrim I had as day one from a single source, source A. I have no reason to disbelieve source A that it was in mid November targetting day one, but I have since seen finalised North American materials that say it will be launch window not day one in North America. I do not know if that is the case for PAL regions.

3D Mario day one was said by sources A and G at Nintendo Europe. I honestly at this point suspect it’s more likely BOTW is launching day one and Mario is being pushed back. I suspect there was some kind of internal issue with Zelda making it look like it would miss launch. I suspect that got sorted, and with it ready for launch Mario was pushed back to spread out launch line up.

First six months section I still believe is accurate, with the possible exception of Mario taking Zelda’s summer launch slot.

So, it would be more accurate to say she previously reported this, not to say it as though it's in the present tense/still what she's indicating, right? I wouldn't normally be so pedantic but I want as little unfair fuel available as possible for those eager to discredit.

Decider

Reckoning is pretty dramatic, no?

"Yesterday weather man Tom said it would be cold today. Will it be hot or cold? Tune in to find out on Tom's day of reckoning!"
To be fair, the cornerstone of Laura's reporting had been NX/Switch-related leaks. I've wondered how things will work out for her when the system is out and there's not much left to tell.

Griss

Hmm. I'm trying to see what you're saying but I don't really think this article comes off that way. I imagine most people who read this story will empathize with the subjects (and the amount of pressure they're under). I think it's an interesting story (with a few different angles) and it certainly isn't putting anyone on blast.

Not only is it a good article, we need more of it.

Way too many people get away with spreading false information for attention, so tracking what people say and seeing whether they're right or wrong is both important and interesting.

As it happens, I fully believe that LKD, Emily and Eurogamer all have proper sources and will be proven correct in 80%+ of what they've reported tonight.

AgeEighty

This is an amazingly insecure post by Kotaku lmao

How so?

Not only is it a good article, we need more of it.

Way too many people get away with spreading false information for attention, so tracking what people say and seeing whether they're right or wrong is both important and interesting.

As it happens, I fully believe that LKD, Emily and Eurogamer all have proper sources and will be proven correct in 80%+ of what they've reported tonight.

Agreed fully. Honest accountability is important, not to assign blame and lynch people for being wrong, but to provide context about what kind of rumors to put stock in, and in what situations.

To be fair, the cornerstone of Laura's reporting had been NX/Switch-related leaks. I've wondered how things will work out for her when the system is out and there's not much left to tell.

Leaking data isn't even really reporting, it's leaking. I mean, I feel it's super important that we have people willing to leak that kind of sensitive information, but it's not reporting in the traditional sense. Someone else is doing the work.

dezzy8

It's only gonna get worse.

unknown.png
I'm already annoyed because this is exactly how GAF is going to react. Hyperbole out the ass and all doom and gloom threads about people who aren't going to buy the console for some reason even though they weren't going to buy it anyways.

Trike

Not really reckoning day unless they are wrong about anything, then people will get up in arms. If they are right people will just forget about it next time they are wrong about something.

AgeEighty

Leaking data isn't even really reporting, it's leaking. I mean, I feel it's super important that we have people willing to leak that kind of sensitive information, but it's not reporting in the traditional sense. Someone else is doing the work.

LKD isn't the leaker, she's the reporter reporting the leaks she's being given.

All the leaker is doing is giving her information they have as part of their job. She's doing the legwork to vet and corroborate sources, and also putting her reputation on the line in the process. I'd argue she's the one doing the work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom