• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Konami Sucks

SOLDIER

I mean I don't like Konami either but it still bothers me that sites like Kotaku put up the opinions of the people who work there. Saying "Konami sucks" comes off as really unprofessional.

You know what's even more unprofessional? Konami telling Jim Sterling (while he was covering their games) "fuck that guy" while also blacklisting him.

jschreier

Nothing unprofessional about saying Konami sucks for destroying a piece of gaming history. And Patrick didn't even touch upon all the many other reasons Konami sucks (Suikoden, Castlevania, Bomberman, their treatment of Kojima (although granted we don't know their side of the story there), the shady messaging around what's happening with Kojima, etc). Great piece tho.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Konami was at a Gaming Summit today (gambling). They were selling a Neo Contra slot machine.
You can tell their priorities are not in video games anymore. They are going all in on gambling/pachinko.

Yep! Konami cares only about gambling, and it's really sad.

Yep! Konami cares only about gambling, and it's really sad.
Yeah. I got this lanyard for this year's summit.
I bet it is an old E3 one.
KszgiNx.jpg

Seems the new stategy is merging gambling with video games to attract younger people to gambling. So Sega and Konami will prosper, but not in the way us retro gaming fans hope. Mobile and gambling seems to work for Japan.

Xeteh

All of this Konami backlash is just a few years too late. They clearly already don't give a shit.

Exactly. Konami doesn't give a fuck about how much fire they set to their franchises in the videogame market. They gave up on it. They're focusing on other divisions of Konami like health clubs and gambling. Its a fucking shame but they'll likely make more off of the Metal Gear franchise with pachinko machines then they would with video games.

Pot, meet kettle. Kotaku has some excellent investigative pieces, but their daily coverage has devolved to the level of a social media feed. It's like, how many bylined borrowed gifs of wacky motorcycle stunts pulled off in GTA, or acerbic shorts about Japanese media trends do we really need? I applaud the desire to move away from regurgitating industry press releases, but they sure haven't found a way to keep substantive content flowing.

Re Konami, yes, they've clearly taken some bad turns. But I won't consign them to the dustbin until they formally announce that Suikoden is dead, and they're taking the rights with them to the grave.

Teknoman

Sigh...so I guess the Wiiware Rebirth series was the last we'll see of any of the classics, and MGS V will be the last good Metal Gear game. Was Hideo involved in the MG universe from the very beginning?

I should probably get Suikoden T and V at some point I guess. Im still sorta ticked at the way they tried to bring Vandal Hearts and Rocket Knight back. I mean c'mon.

Sigh...so I guess the Wiiware Rebirth series was the last we'll see of any of the classics, and MGS V will be the last good Metal Gear game. Was Hideo involved in the MG universe from the very beginning?

I should probably get Suikoden T and V at some point I guess. Im still sorta ticked at the way they tried to bring Vandal Hearts and Rocket Knight back. I mean c'mon.

giphy.gif

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Don't really like Kotaku. But they are spot on here.

Hope this article gets widespread circulation.

Its a fucking shame but they'll likely make more off of the Metal Gear franchise with pachinko machines then they would with video games.
Mobile game IAP structures are pretty close to gambling. Guess the rewards having no real life value keep it from being regulated...

We have to accept console gaming not by EA or Activision is the minority.

LowParry

Don't really like Kotaku. But they are spot on here.

Hope this article gets widespread circulation.

To what exactly? We already know Konami is bowing out of the console business. It's time to move on after MGSV. People should be in fear of what kind of support MGO will have after the game's release.

What an embarrassment of a piece. How anyone can take the term "games journalism" seriously when one of the supposed "journalists" writes a piece this incredibly unprofessional is beyond me.

Want to be taken seriously? Then be professional. This is the definition of the opposite of journalism.

I'm shocked someone would be proud to put their name next to this.

And shame on Kotaku for enabling it.

Haunted

What an embarrassment of a piece. How anyone can take the term "games journalism" seriously when one of the supposed "journalists" writes a piece this incredibly unprofessional is beyond me.

Want to be taken seriously? Then be professional. This is the definition of the opposite of journalism.

Why? That is his opinion.

And everything he says is true.

IT'S ALL TRUE

I know that feeling.
Did you know there is a Sega Shinobi slot machine?
Nothing tells you that your video game franchise is dead than being used on a slot machine. TV shows/movies are different since there was a Game of Thrones one this year.

Edit: If this does not show more VG based slots are coming...
http://www.vegaschatter.com/story/2...epts+Not+Coming+To+Slot+Machines+Soon+Enough+

Well, considering slot machines are a separate division from the games, and have existed since the dawn of time, is not truly telling.

And Shinobi had a game come out a few years back that's more akin to the older titles (not dissing the PS2 games, though) in 2011. It was fantastic.

Well, considering slot machines are a separate division from the games, and have existed since the dawn of time, is not truly telling.

And Shinobi had a game come out a few years back that's more akin to the older titles (not dissing the PS2 games, though) in 2011. It was fantastic.
Oh I thought it was a port like Rayman 3D. I will check it out.
I loved the PS2 series. It was the base of the slot machine I saw.

But there is more VG properties becoming slot machines now than before. Guess they got tired of making original content.

Why? That is his opinion.

And everything he says is true.

IT'S ALL TRUE

It all may be, but any self-respecting writer/journalist/English Major can come up with a more mature headline than 'Konami Sucks.'

I mean, come on. Elevate the conversation and respect your audience.

Haunted

To note, Shinobi 3DS was great. Outsourced to a Western company. The lead gameplay designer of Shinobi 3DS (Taron Millet) left the company and made Volgarr the Viking afterwards. Excellent developer.

It all may be, but any self-respecting writer/journalist/English Major can come up with a more mature headline than 'Konami Sucks.'

I think you might be under some sort of misconception as to what exactly Kotaku's audience is. This is completely appropriate language and writing level for a personal opinion piece by Klepek written for the target demographic of the site.

Kotaku's a blog. In blogs people express opinions. If you want only journalistic articles go somewhere else.

Luckily I haven't really cared about Konami and it's games since the Ps2 days. I can live without Metal Gear, infact I think the series needs to a close because the storyline is waaaay too convoluted. Silent Hill games were ok but in all honesty i've really only bought and finished one of them (Part 2).

The only downside for me in all of this is that P.T will not become a fully realised game. It's a huge bummer but if the whole game had been in first person I wouldnt've enjoyed it much anyway because I don't like playing for extended periods with this viewpoint and I don't know if the game would've had the same impact had the viewpoint been 3rd person.

Merc_

Exactly. Konami doesn't give a fuck about how much fire they set to their franchises in the videogame market. They gave up on it. They're focusing on other divisions of Konami like health clubs and gambling. Its a fucking shame but they'll likely make more off of the Metal Gear franchise with pachinko machines then they would with video games.

They also know that people are going to buy MGSV no matter how dickish they act. They haven't given a single fuck in a long time. I've made my peace with what happened to Suikoden. It's time Silent Hill fans did the same.

Oh I thought it was a port like Rayman 3D. I will check it out.
I loved the PS2 series. It was the base of the slot machine I saw.

But there is more VG properties becoming slot machines now than before. Guess they got tired of making original content.

This is purely in regards to Sega, and I'll loop Konami into this, but the market doesn't want a large scale Shinobi right now. The market barely wanted a Yakuza game stateside, and it took the efforts of Sony to bring it to the US and EU territories. Making original games isn't always profitable, and sometimes you gotta put some money in one place to move it to another. Sega still has titles on the way this year, maybe not the old IPs we once loved, but they still exists.

Konami, however, feels like they don't give a shit. They are far more profitable than Sega, but they've continuously squandered their chances. Sega hooks up with Platinum when they have the money, Konami kicks out top developers.

I really could see Konami leaving the console business for some minor PC titles unless this restructuring leads to either a). Hideo becoming President (LOL) or b). they are actually re-evaluating their stance on what they should and shouldn't be doing.

They also know that people are going to buy MGSV no matter how dickish they act. They haven't given a single fuck in a long time. I've made my peace with what happened to Suikoden. It's time Silent Hill fans did the same.

I'm not going to miss out on something Hideo has tirelessly worked on, and made before the crash, purely because Konami was a dick.

Fat4all

Banned
But Jason S and others are in here regularly telling us they are serious journalists. Which is it?

No one will ever be Walter Cronkite again, expect all journalists to have good and bad articles.

I find "Konami Sucks" a perfect title for the article.

QaaQer

Nice rant. You should google 'definition: editorial" tho.

Squire

Banned
Nothing unprofessional about saying Konami sucks for destroying a piece of gaming history. And Patrick didn't even touch upon all the many other reasons Konami sucks (Suikoden, Castlevania, Bomberman, their treatment of Kojima (although granted we don't know their side of the story there), the shady messaging around what's happening with Kojima, etc). Great piece tho.

I think Pat is better than the headline. I hear what you're saying and I'm no fan of Konami, but I think he's better, has proven as much before, and its disappointing because of how people often dismiss strong pieces because of their titles. It's not a Big Deal™, but it makes me frown.

Great work though, agreed.

5MUVZNW.gif

I don't have anything against Kotaku. I think there can be a lot of nonsense, but it has some pretty great pieces. With that being said, at this point, I would read an IGN article ripping into Konami right now.

Shengar

You know that Konami have policy to remove any name of their employee from their respective game credit in case they leave the company? They already have that policy since the time of Suikoden III where the director must take sudden leave and Konami remove his name from there. They got Murayama compliance, but holy hell if its not the most anti-creator corporate policy I've ever seen.

In short: Konami is rotten to the core since long time ago.

Foffy

Banned
Konami has been a shitpit for years, and it seems even the people in the company know this slow, painful transition is afoot. In fact, Koji Igarashi revealed as much when he left last year.

"A lot of people said, 'That's a shame. We're going to miss you,'" Iga recalled. "Others said 'It's a shame and we'll miss you, but this really is probably the right time,' because they know what Konami is about. One of the things, that made me happy is [that] a lot of people said, 'Hey, I want you to hire me, take me with you.' So that felt good."

Fuck Konami. Hideo Kojima may be the last bastion of their old guard left, and we all know he's gone by the end of the year, too.

jholmes

Could you imagine if he did touch upon the legitimate but largely underreported issues you mentioned?

Wow. Just imagine.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Well, they won't get a copy of MGS5 and whatever future MGS they farm off to HIgh Voltage Software.

And Kotaku can buy MGS5 and then forget the rest of the series like most fans, so... nothing of value lost?

They certainly make it seem they want out of developing any games and may just publish or just get out videogames all together.

I hate Konami, they have ruined everything. They seem so clueless.

Fuck Konami's management.

Top Bottom