• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Meet Ouya, A New $99 Console That's Not The X360, PS3, Wii

Persona7

Banned
Hopefully it could be a good media player. I need one of those boxes and I was just looking at the WD live TV and Boxee.

Utako

Banned
I'm seeing truckloads of new hardware this year, but very few games that have me excited.

Pokemon Conquest may be my only (non-iOS) game purchase in all of 2012, and that's only because it's the first original Pokemon RPG since Red/Blue.

Iacobellis

I'm seeing truckloads of new hardware this year, but very few games that have me excited.

Pokemon Conquest may be my only (non-iOS) game purchase in all of 2012, and that's only because it's the first original Pokemon RPG since Red/Blue.

Every main Pokemon game has been an RPG.

Finaika

thumb-wtv-20120507-29908-entame.jpg

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Just saw this...might be interested depending on the dev kit and how they handle the ui. Are they launching a kickstarter or are they already funded?

What would be lol is if this console becomes as important as the Wii/Xbox360/PS3. Then we can all have a kick looking back at this thread.

But I'm not holding my breath. Doomed since 2012, it's already dead, (company) is dying etc.

Orayn

People laughing at this thing just shows how many GAFers are out of touch with the toxic, unsustainable environment AAA development has created. How many good studios have died because they couldn't keep pace with this race to the bottom? How many franchises have been completely ruined in a vain attempt to copy the big sellers? Games are too big, too expensive, and releasing in such a way that their success depends far too much on advertising and fleeting retail success.

But hey, no one cares as long as we get our yearly Calladooty.

So you don't mind a world without fully 3D Zeldas?

Possible on Gamecube-level hardware, which this easily has.

I pledged 95 bucks, just for Mame alone.

Looking at the specs, where would it put it in terms of power compared to other consoles? PS2 or something?

Maxim726X

Looking at the specs, where would it put it in terms of power compared to other consoles? PS2 or something?

If this thing could emulate PS2, I'd be all over it.

But since my 3.4 AMD quadcore can barely accomplish that feat, that seems unlikely.

diffusionx

Gold Member

It's a Tegra 3, so just look at the high-end games on Android or iOS now. It's a fair sight more capable than a PS2.

Serialxp

Banned
If it is running android 4.0 and haven a tegra processor it is worth, even if only to watch netflix and listen internet radio.

TheJerit

quadcore tegra 3 processor, wireless, bluetooth, 1 gb or ram. controller with built-in touchpad but still that familiar controller feel, and games will be free to play (plus hackable box)? shitballs, this could quite intradesting..

watched the kickstarter video; "if i weren't a female, I'd say big balls..." her. i like her.

Odrion

Banned
Yeah, I threw in $100 towards the Kickstarter. I like what they're doing. And fuck, why not? You get a game console out of it.

I have an old ass modded Xbox that needs to be put out to pasture, I think this will be a good replacement.

FStop7

Banned
I smell something that will be sold at mall kiosks, Spencer Gifts, and Bed Bath and Beyond. Gizmondo 2.0

edit - woah @ all the gray names on page 1

Odrion

Banned
Get Kairosoft to make games for it! They can be the Square Enix of the Ouya, except ya know, good.
Kairosoft is ran by a robot that very slowly ports old cellphone games to modern devices.

It's not even arsed to make tablet versions of the games.
I smell something that will be sold at mall kiosks, Spencer Gifts, and Bed Bath and Beyond. Gizmondo 2.0
Except that credible people are supporting it, and it's founded on the well supported Android platform.

SLV

Kairosoft is ran by a robot that very slowly ports old cellphone games to modern devices.

It's not even arsed to make tablet versions of the games.

Except that credible people are supporting it, and it's founded on the well supported Android platform.

hahahahah, this made me laugh a lot :D

I'd be intrigued if I didn't already have a laptop.
Interesting product which I hope gets maintained support, but seems to be, at the very least, guaranteed a niche community.

Coconut

Banned
I'm not convinced this will actually become a product that is available for sale.

If it does, I'm highly skeptical that it will obtain retail distribution.

If it does, I'm certain it won't generate any new game software development for Android as a whole.

If it does, I don't think that development will be successful.

If it is, I expect that success will be short-lived.

Yeah, but it would be interesting if it did become a success.

megalowho

Can't quite tell what the full controller looks like, or console for that matter. Some more detailed shots would be appreciated.

Interesting project, the intentions seem noble. CFW on a box like that could be pretty cool. For something that wants to be the next step for the mobile audience to take gaming into the living room, it's going to hurt not already being tied to a mobile ecosystem. I guess that's where the F2P angle comes in.

Not sure I want to donate money, but curious to see how this campaign does.

Top Bottom