• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Meet Ouya, A New $99 Console That's Not The X360, PS3, Wii

Pachimari

I hope it materialize, as I for one, have grown tired (at the moment at least) of deep, huge and long games found on the traditional consoles and enjoys my fast mobile games. Bring me Canabalt, Spy Mouse, Card games etc. on my TV.

Thanks both of you. Is there a way to get the money back if they fail to deliver on their promise or would i be screwed then ?
You would be screwed.

Coconut

Banned
I would say software and accessibility. Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo have companies that back them up. I did like how you skipped over what it does and why thats so revolutionary =p

But with that logic if consoles stop selling that software would end up some where.

Odrion

Banned
I did like how you skipped over what it does and why thats so revolutionary =p
It's a (REALLY) cheap, indie/homebrew friendly platform that has a quite a bit of bang for it's buck. I don't know what's so tough to understand about that.

pargonta

I hope it materialize, as I for one, have grown tired (at the moment at least) of deep, huge and long games found on the traditional consoles and enjoys my fast mobile games. Bring me Canabalt, Spy Mouse, Card games etc. on my TV.

in a perfect world, ouya would be a streaming service in your already established home console, bringing all the ios and android and mobile games into your living room AS WELL AS the deeper and richer experiences from the traditional market. no need to pick up a tablet or smartphone, your console already has those smaller games, and the big ones too!

but it's not a perfect world, so this extra hardware is trying to bridge the gap.

the success of this would prove the validity and importance of home consoles though right?

that we want mobile games to be assimilated into the console ecosystem, leaving the smartphones and tablets as not direct competitors but separate portable devices with no game library advantage, shows a deeply rooted respect for the idea of home consoles.

I honestly hope they do this and then sony microsoft or nintendo buy it or something, and it really does become a streaming service for mobile games so no one can say tablets and smartphones are killing consoles because those games would be available on consoles through the streaming service.

but it's not a perfect world, so we'll see.

kuroshiki

Born to fail.

It's a (REALLY) cheap, indie/homebrew friendly platform that has a quite a bit of bang for it's buck. I don't know what's so tough to understand about that.

There is really no reason why Indie people have to develop for this one. If this one plays samething you play on your phone (which most likely it will) what the heck is the point?

Shady859

I like the idea of the thing especially since it'll be hack friendly allowing emulation and stuff without having to hook the laptop to your tv. Need usb 3.0 and a SD slot and if you won't give us more ram and least add a slot on the board so we can add more.

Amazed at how fast it's selling they'll run through these 5000 in no time. I'll let you guys jump in and test the water, i'll buy next year.

so, HTC signed up to pay Microsoft $5 per Android device shipped. If this console ends up being successful (ie selling millions not thousands) you can bet all the patent trolls come out in full force.

I hope it sells like crazy, anything pro-developer is good with me.

Someone should really change the thread title.

I habitually ignore posts with Kotaku as the first word.

It should be something like:

Ouya: $99 Android console announced, will support homebrew. Kickstarter up!

Then throw a link in the OP.

Pachimari

I like the idea of the thing especially since it'll be hack friendly allowing emulation and stuff without having to hook the laptop to your tv. Need usb 3.0 and a SD slot and if you won't give us more ram and least add a slot on the board so we can add more.

Amazed at how fast it's selling they'll run through these 5000 in no time. I'll let you guys jump in and test the water, i'll buy next year.

Wait, is the first shipment going out to the backers or something?

So I need to donate in order to secure one.

Someone should really change the thread title.

I habitually ignore posts with Kotaku as the first word.

It should be something like:

Ouya: $99 Android console announced, will support homebrew. Kickstarter up!

Then throw a link in the OP.
Agree.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Thanks both of you. Is there a way to get the money back if they fail to deliver on their promise or would i be screwed then ?

You would be screwed.

There's no "promise" here. You are funding an idea. If that idea comes to fruition, you are supposed to get what you paid for as a reward.

Think of it as being an investor in a fledgling company with no claim to future revenue. Because that's what it is. You're not buying something.

Wait, is the first shipment going out to the backers or something?

So I need to donate in order to secure one.

Agree.

Here's what the $99 deets are:

Kickstarter said:
Pledge $99 or more
3096 Backers • Limited Reward (1904 of 5000 remaining)

GET AN OUYA: console and controller. Guarantee we will have one available for you, before it gets to stores. Plus the rewards above. We're figuring out how many we can make! (We have to ask you to add $20 for shipping outside the U.S.) Please add $30 if you want a second controller.

I'm assuming you get the first run by this and the $95 sale tier as well. But I'm not sure.

I'm confused as to how this thing could possibly sell for $100. Doesn't the price seem a bit "too good to be true" to you?

Nah Android is free - google even announced open source of Jelly Bean (4.1)

No screen or anything (HDMI out), relatively cheap components (eg Tegra), low power = low cost box

Pachimari

So apparently, the estimated delivery is March 2013 for those who Kickstart it.

I'm thinking of letting this one be the first Kickstarter I back.

1545 devices left. Those devices are flying off the shelves.
They will no doubt reach their target today, unless there'll be a sudden drought of course.

By the way, do any of you know, if I'm located outside the US and UK, if I can import an OnLive MicroConsole somehow?

Odrion

Banned
There is really no reason why Indie people have to develop for this one. If this one plays samething you play on your phone (which most likely it will) what the heck is the point?
Easy to develop for and port between Android platforms. The idea that if it catches on, it'll be a much easier platform to get your indie game published on than XBLA or PSN.

Vesper73

Wow, they are almost out of the $99 pledge level already!

Just pledged! I think it will be worth it for emulators alone!

Pachimari

I have to be sure, if I pledge $149 dollars now, can I still withdraw my donation before they reach their target or by the date? Because they'll only withdraw my money on the date they have set for the auction to end.

Correct?

Wow, they are almost out of the $99 pledge level already!

Just pledged! I think it will be worth it for emulators alone!

I wonder if they will add more tiers for people wanting the console. Seems like they are going to run out of steam once there is nothing else for people to receive as pledge rewards.

I have to be sure, if I pledge $149 dollars now, can I still withdraw my donation before they reach their target or by the date? Because they'll only withdraw my money on the date they have set for the auction to end.

Correct?

Correct. I pledged now just to lock in a console, and will keep watch on them for the next month to decide on canceling.

Pachimari

I wonder if they will add more tiers for people wanting the console. Seems like they are going to run out of steam once there is nothing else for people to receive as pledge rewards.

Correct. I pledged now just to lock in a console, and will keep watch on them for the next month to decide on canceling.

Great, I'll donate $149 then. That should secure a second controller and shipment.

EDIT:
Just pledged $149.

Odrion

Banned
Can't wait to play the Chaos Rings series on the big screen.

Or knockoff World of Warcraft.
QoKeb.gif

Alchemy

In for $99 on the kickstarter. At worst it should be an easy hackable media PC, and the specs are very nice for the cost (at present). I'm worried about the delay that this won't materialize until next March, but why not. As long as their business model accounts for the niche status of this device and they get proper controller support for applications, it will still be entertaining even if it doesn't compete.

Odrion

Banned
Looks like it'll be right around the target once the reward tiers sell out. Then they have a month to try to expand their tier caps or whatnot.

Pachimari

Only 477 devices left at the $99 price. Those are getting sold quickly!

It's at $805,164 now.

Don't the Android games have to be optimized for the higher resolution TVs?

NewFresh

I would rather wait and see how it pans out rather than put my money in now. It's set to launch at $99, isn't it? I see no reason to buy into a prototype, but I guess that's the nature of kick-starter. Good luck to those who bought in.

Pachimari

Sweet. This will be the first kickstarter I back.
That makes us two.

I would rather wait and see how it pans out rather than put my money in now. It's set to launch at $99, isn't it? I see no reason to buy into a prototype, but I guess that's the nature of kick-starter. Good luck to those who bought in.

It's only those who actually back up the project, that'll get it for $99. And there's a limited amount of devices.

Top Bottom