• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Meet Ouya, A New $99 Console That's Not The X360, PS3, Wii

Some will, but I guarantee just the fact that the device is being openly touted as "hackable" will keep others away.
This is a small-scale devs dream though.

I guess I can see that, a small amount a developers will try and use it to get some ideas going, and if they nail it, it might actually sell. Will be interesting to see the results.

ZenaxPure

My fear is that it won't play games like super meat boy due to the use of android. :(

Edit: and why should devs port their games if it will be free...

The games won't be free.

OuyaKS said:
We're handing the reins over to the developer with only one condition: at least some gameplay has to be free. We borrowed the free-to-play model from games like League of Legends, Team Fortress 2, Triple Town, and many others. Developers can offer a free demo with a full-game upgrade, in-game items or powers, or ask you to subscribe.

If anything, it sounds more like every game will be required to have a demo at the least but are encouraging for other methods if so desired.

Satchel

Banned
I think I'll buy this thing. Will be a nice distraction. For that price there's probably no legitimate reason for a more serious gamer not to.

ziadoz

Neo Member
The idea is great, but if it only has 8GB of storage (presumably some of which is used for Android) then it doesn't sound like it has a lot of space for games.

ekim

Well then... Bring it on. Everything that tries to think outside the box in this business needs support imho.

Stupid question time.
So it's $99 and then $20 for international shipping, so do I have to pledge $119 or do they take the extra $20 when they see that I'm in the UK.

alphaNoid

Banned
Not pledging but we'll see what kind of legs this device has in the future and how it pans out in comparison to next gen systems before I consider. Looks neat

Massa

Not pledging but we'll see what kind of legs this device has in the future and how it pans out in comparison to next gen systems before I consider. Looks neat

Why wait for next gen systems? This device doesn't even come close to competing with current systems. Or the Wii for that matter.

awm8604

Banned
I love the idea. Hope it actually gets produced, and doesn't end up like the Phantom. I think it has great potential.

Pyronite

I'm in for one.

It's $99 and it's doing what many of us have asked for, to create that open market of lower and lower-middle games. $99 is worth a dedicated Xbox Live/PSN platform that will spur more development.

Just imagine Duke Nukem saying "oo yeaaah".

Alchemy

and now developers after not needing publishers don't need platforms.... :)

Ease of hackability while a selling point for the hardware is still scary for developers. Android is notoriously bad for software sales as a result of how easy it is to install any random apk you as well as copying an installed apk to the web. So who knows how well the development community will support this. But as long as this gets defacto controller support into Android games I'm ecstatic that it is taking off.

BiggNife

There are a bunch of games I really like on Android but I can't really think of any where I thought "I'd rather be playing this on a HDTV rather than a phone/tablet." Most Android games are tailored to be mobile experiences anyway. I like that these guys are trying something completely different, but I'm not really convinced this is something worth buying just yet.

Maxim726X

Ease of hackability while a selling point for the hardware is still scary for developers. Android is notoriously bad for software sales as a result of how easy it is to install any random apk you as well as copying an installed apk to the web. So who knows how well the development community will support this. But as long as this gets defacto controller support into Android games I'm ecstatic that it is taking off.

They should use a dedicated games service... Their own version of Steam. It's not like developers who make games for this device are going to worry about phones/tablets being able to use it, as most people who own those devices don't have a controller.

That would help cut down on piracy, at least.

DiscoJer

Dang, they're going to run out of options with consoles. When I pledged about 20 minutes ago, there were only 2200 left. Now it's down to 1700.

Tain

I haven't seen 4.1 in person yet, but this thing running Android makes me crazy skeptical that you'll see smooth, responsive games. Can't even entertain the idea unless I can see a game running at an unwavering full framerate.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I haven't seen 4.1 in person yet, but this thing running Android makes me crazy skeptical that you'll see smooth, responsive games. Can't even entertain the idea unless I can see a game running at an unwavering full framerate.

4.1 def made the os smoother. The ks page says 4.0 though. So hopefully they will have 4.1 running on this before way before launch.

Goddam some of you are ballsy. Dropping 100 bucks on some random company making a game console... yea I can predict this wont end well!

Will be great to be surprised though. :p

Stupid question time.
So it's $99 and then $20 for international shipping, so do I have to pledge $119 or do they take the extra $20 when they see that I'm in the UK.

Don't forget tax. I think on something like this you pay customs duty and vat, both a percentage of the $99. vat is currently 20% so it's at least going to cost you $139, most likely more.

Obviously your pledge shouldn't include tax, but when the item is delivered there will be tax to pay.

Alchemy

Goddam some of you are ballsy. Dropping 100 bucks on some random company making a game console... yea I can predict this wont end well!

Will be great to be surprised though. :p

I can't see this being the only kickstarter risk out there. It also looks like they're pretty far along so I can't see this completely vanishing.

fin

I'm thinking about the $699 tier. They are selling fast. Good or bad idea? Would you buy a game like this (it's still early):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh_eTJGxDo8

I'd obviously have to remove all the Battletoad references. The game is tough to control with a KB&M or touch screen. Not sure how it'll run on Android, I'd probably have to change some physics stuff. But this comes with a controller. I can't go to PAX this year so, I got the money. They say that Unity is a launch partner.

What say you? Keep the Battletoad references release it for free? Change the art buy the $699 tier and be day one for launch? Or change the art and release it wherever I can?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I think I have a problem. I'll buy just about anything if it's rootable, just to see what people do with it.

Durante

I wish I could convince myself that I need this, it looks pretty sexy. But all my display devices are already connected to a PC, which should be able to do everything this thing can do and more.

It's perfectly possible. I have a game that runs at 60 FPS from Android 2.3 up. It's just that some android devs seem to suck about keeping the garbage collector from acting up. (I have 0 dynamic memory allocations during gameplay)

Top Bottom