• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Meet Ouya, A New $99 Console That's Not The X360, PS3, Wii

How is this any different from generic Chinese Android "game players"?

Made by people you've heard of and has support from developers you've heard of. Also better internal hardware than most of those.

Could still be a massive flop, but it won't be a cheap piece of junk that breaks within a week, most likely.

Deliverance

Neo Member
I really want one but I don't have $99 with me...Does anyone know if they will produce more?.

They'll sell the console on regular stores. I think that buying it after reviews and people's opinions will be much better than blindly throwing your money away. Also, what I've seen of Tegra 3 it's pretty bad, imo... We will see.

Orayn

excuse me for being dumb, but how easy would it be for an indie developer to port a PC game to this system?

Same difficulty as porting it to an Android phone, which depends on the engine and the tools used. Some can export to Android rather easily, others would need a major overhaul.

Heh, they just bumped it to 20k now.

Awesome! This is either going to turn out to be the coolest innovation of 2013, or will be the first major Kickstarter fiasco. Either way it will make for an entertaining Spring.

I wonder if this attention and sales success will lead to a round of outside investment in the company?

Amagon

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger but my thing is, Android don't really have alot of games that I like compare to iOS.

I don't get why they keep upping the number. They obviously want the money and have no supply problems. Just make it an open number. I know I know it's marketing but seriously. I did back them because I figured it'd be limited but now it's just getting dumb.

OH YEAH!

kool1.jpg

NeOak

I don't get why they keep upping the number. They obviously want the money and have no supply problems. Just make it an open number. I know I know it's marketing but seriously. I did back them because I figured it'd be limited but now it's just getting dumb.

Or maybe because they didn't expect to do this well on their first day

I can't believe how fast funding is going for this thing. Everytime I refresh the page they're 10 or 20k higher than last I looked. Still don't know if I wanna bite the bullet on it...there's not even a rough ETA on this thing.

Edit: I can't read apparently. March is the date. Hmmm

NeOak

I can't believe how fast funding is going for this thing. Everytime I refresh the page they're 10 or 20k higher than last I looked. Still don't know if I wanna bite the bullet on it...there's not even a rough ETA on this thing.

Estimated Delivery: Mar 2013

It is limited. Limited to the first production order they're going to send to the companies responsible for fabbing and supplying parts.

EDIT: and they need to know what the demand is and to acquire funding to fulfill that demand. Hence....

If this thing is legit, $99 for a device that could do netflix/twitch/youtube/last.fm/pandora, plus any number of emulators -- this thing could be pretty awesome even if there are zero games on it. Hell, you could have someone make and sell a legit N64 or Gamecube controller since the platform is open. Theoretically it seems like the sky is the limit.

I just worry about what's being promised vs. what it will actually be. Seems too good to be true. I'll hold off on pledging until I have a better feel for what this thing actually is, even if that means it'll be too hard to find for a year afterwards.

It is limited. Limited to the first production order they're going to send to the companies responsible for fabbing and supplying parts.

EDIT: and they need to know what the demand is and to acquire funding to fulfill that demand. Hence....

Yeah, they'll keep jumping the number until near the end of the kickstarter, when they have a better idea of how much they can afford to make.

Amagon

Well, fuck it. I just pledge the $99+$30 extra for the controller. If I change my mind, I could still cancel it before the kickstarter is over. I'm interested so why not.

Tain

It's perfectly possible. I have a game that runs at 60 FPS from Android 2.3 up. It's just that some android devs seem to suck about keeping the garbage collector from acting up. (I have 0 dynamic memory allocations during gameplay)

Unwavering, with no dropped frames? Is it publicly available?

Maybe it is possible, and I'm sure the phone is a huge factor, but I have yet to see anything in-person that runs perfectly smooth. I've seen things maintain 60 for brief periods, but there's always little patches of dropped frames. I'd love to see something that proves me wrong.

Carter

Neo Member
Seems to me like it needs more USB ports, they list it as having 1. Can you use a USB splitter on Android 4.0? External HDD seems like a must along with ability for other types of controllers (arcade stick :D)

Definitely getting Raspberry Pi vibes from this.
I don't think any status quo will be changing because of it, but I'm extremely interested to see what people do with them.

Orayn

Seems to me like it needs more USB ports, they list it as having 1. Can you use a USB splitter on Android 4.0? External HDD seems like a must along with ability for other types of controllers (arcade stick :D)

Android supports USB hubs, so the answer is yes in theory.

Truespeed

Not surprised this was funded in a day. It's really appealing to play games on your TV that don't cost 70% of what the device does. To the detractors - OUFU.

Top Bottom