• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Meet Ouya, A New $99 Console That's Not The X360, PS3, Wii

DagsJT

The money gets taken from your bank when the Kickstarter ends, right?

Edit: Nevermind. Just going for the $99 offer.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I would rather wait and see how it pans out rather than put my money in now. It's set to launch at $99, isn't it? I see no reason to buy into a prototype, but I guess that's the nature of kick-starter. Good luck to those who bought in.

You can pledge as low as $5 if you wanted. $5 isn't a risk.

The money gets taken from your bank when the Kickstarter ends, right?

Edit: Nevermind. Just going for the $99 offer.

Yup, correct.

DagsJT

They've just increased the $99 tier consoles to 10000 units now. 5143 left at this point, whereas 2 mins ago there was 200 left.

NewFresh

That makes us two.

It's only those who actually back up the project, that'll get it for $99. And there's a limited amount of devices.

So being a backer is not just to get the console first? I was under the assumption that this was the main selling point. In the video they even talk about how it's "inexpensive", though they do not say $99.

Also, this:

Uhrman says. "This is affordable for gamers at the less than $100 price point where all these games are free to play and for developers it is open so whatever they conceive they can finally get onto the television. ... What Kickstarter will allow us to do is get feedback and support early from gamers and developers and have them on board to support this."

Source : http://content.usatoday.com/communi...12/07/ouya-to-launch-new-video-game-console/1

It seems like they are doing the kickstarter campaign first, then probably aiming for a retail (or online store) market, after their estimated March release.

Pachimari

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that it'll only be $99 for those who donate, I just don't remember where.

And it's my impression those who back the project will not get prototypes but the first run of the retail versions.

someone should really do a proper thread on this seeing as how much traction it's getting on KS.
We should have a proper Kickstarter thread for Ouya yes.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like a nice proof of concept. All Google Play games available on Day 1 could make this have quite the impact.

The casuals are taking over. :O

NZNova

I'd buy this. I'm a developer and hell, at that price it's a fun toy to muck about with regardless of whether or not anyone else releases any software for it. I don't think I'd go so far as to kick in $100 on a kickstarter, but I'd sure buy one when it was ready.

schwupp

at 99$ thats great ... just as a media center with emulators and games.

too bad i was too late do get a early pre order ;(

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I don't see a ton of potential here, but I can't deny the console market needs to be shaken the fuck up. Because it's pretty shitty right now.

So, I'm glad it got funded.

I wonder how many millions there will be by August 9... O__O

I don't think they're going to offer up that many more consoles until they can secure more facets of manufacturing, which isn't finalized yet.

That would be a whole lot of disappointed donors if something falls through.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Crazy that it is already funded. Where is the extra cash going to go towards? More units?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I totally didn't expect it to be funded so quickly.
I'm not into it, but it'll be interesting what news it could churn out in the future hopefully.

(._.)

Banned
I hope it does well. If it does only good thing will come from it. Right now though I just don't have any use for it.

Crazy that it is already funded. Where is the extra cash going to go towards? More units?
I would imagine so. At this point you might as well pledge in the 95-99 dollar range just to insure that you get one of these consoles. Pretty amazing. I wonder how much longer this momentum will go on for?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I would imagine so. At this point you might as well pledge in the 95-99 dollar range just to insure that you get one of these consoles. Pretty amazing. I wonder how much longer this momentum will go on for?

I bet it's keeps going for a good week or so. Drop off slowly from there.

Is anyone going to make a new thread? If not, I will do it even tho it will be a plain in the butt from my phone.

Been reading comments around the web and I'm a little worried, it seems most people just want to run emulators on it. How will the developers survive?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
First Kickstarter for me.

The concept is cool. I'd be happy with just emulators, which are already available. However, I mainly funded as a giant 'Fuck you!' to the console gaming scene today. The industry needs reform, badly.

Here's hoping there's some devs out there who are buying into this.

Maxim726X

Been reading comments around the web and I'm a little worried, it seems most people just want to run emulators on it. How will the developers survive?

They could survive quite nicely if this device gets a good user-base... Which the emulation crowd will see to.

They could survive quite nicely if this device gets a good user-base... Which the emulation crowd will see to.

Well, I'm not as optimistic, this is one of the reasons the Android platform is suffering compared to the iOS platform. But I guess we'll see once it is launched.

ZenaxPure

I love the concept for this, and I'm glad it can see the light of day. The video does a great job of selling it. I mean look at how many great looking games have been backed on kickstarter, how many of these do you actually think will end up on XBLA and PSN? Probably not many.

Giving the ability for these games to all just be on a box that a) I know 100% will run them without fear and b) have native controller support is really an appealing package. If this actually lives up to its promises I will defiantly be there to buy one when I can. It seems to be doing exactly what I'd want from a "steambox", playing smaller games on a box hooked up to my television without any extra hassle.

I can't say I expect it to become really popular and stand toe to toe with the current big 3 but I believe that is entirely the point, and that's what excites me about it. I hope it turns out well.

Maxim726X

Well, I'm not as optimistic, this is one of the reasons the Android platform is suffering compared to the iOS platform. But I guess we'll see once it is launched.

If the developers make the games specifically for this console, with a store option on the home screen I think they could do quite well.

As it stands now the Play store is a mess... A dedicated games store for a device like this would do wonders. May see some more iPad stuff getting ported over in the process.

ekim

My fear is that it won't play games like super meat boy due to the use of android. :(

Edit: and why should devs port their games if it will be free...

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
I like this concept. I'm not pledging at all, but I'll definitely consider to buy a console if there's a good support behind the devs in a short term.

Top Bottom