• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Microsoft is selling small hoodie jackets to keep your Xbox controller warm. $25 each, pre-orders now open, ships in mid-FEB.

If your Xbox controller has been looking a little cold lately (and it might be, the weather leading into the Australian summer has been a bit on the cool side this year), you can now nestle it in a little hoodie.

Yes, a hoodie. No, it’s controller-sized. It’s like a little set of pyjamas for your controller.

The Xbox controller hoodies are exactly what they say on the tin — a hoodie for your controller. They have a hood (obviously) for a head the controller does not have. They have little arm holes you can fit the handles into. They even have a zipper down the front, and they come in black or white. I’m surprised they don’t have that little pouch pocket at the front.

The hoodies are currently on the Xbox Gear Shop, and will run you about $AU57, which is dearer than most human-sized hoodies. They DO deliver to Australia but, of course, the Xbox controller hoodies are already sold out. This is because we’re trapped in 2022, where everything is sold in tiny allotments like we’re collecting sneakers.

Now usually Kotaku is nuts, and this is the kangaroo version so double so, but yes Microsoft is selling hoodie jackets for your Xbox controller to keep warm, for $25 each in USD. Here is an example from the Xbox store with controller inside,
Black_Hoodie_Front_wController_1800x1800.jpg

White_Hoodie_Front_wController_1800x1800.jpg

The site says that you will be pre-ordering if you buy now, and orders will ship in mid-February with no exact date given, instead there's a range. Hopefully this isn't another product delay...

Anyway, not really sure what the point of this is. You can't really use the controller this way, sure you can feel some of the buttons but you'll have parts of the coat in the way and for some people who go off touch it may throw them off, not to mention it may make you hard press or slip around. Trigger use will be interesting.

You can zip down the front but that's only going to help with the Start and select Back buttons at best.

It seems the only purpose of this really, is to put your controller in a coat and then stare at it like a child say "baby are you warm", or maybe you're a deranged gamer, and you get the white one and put it in the laundry with the wrong stuff and make it pink, and then you pretend that the controller is waiting for you in the bed room, it turns you on and you imagine the controller saying "I'm ready for beddy" and you start to undress it because you lost your mind and need to be locked in a looney cell with full padding.

Or maybe you just have it in the coat sitting next to the stockings and presents as the kids come and get their gifts on xmas. Then afterward you uh.. do nothing with it?

Seriously though, no idea who greenlit this idea it's basically wasting $25, not even a new born baby fresh out is going to fit in that hoodie so this is just a strange product all around, at least the Series X socks are usable as SOCKS, but I have no clue who thought this was a good idea. Watch it be Phil Spencer who greenlit the product and it was Matt Booty who came up with it.

pqueue

Anyway, not really sure what the point of this is. You can't really use the controller this way, sure you can feel some of the buttons but you'll have parts of the coat in the way and for some people who go off touch it may throw them off, not to mention it may make you hard press or slip around. Trigger use will be interesting.
For fun's sake. Everything does not have to have a purpose for you.
Seriously though, no idea who greenlit
Who the fuck cares. It is fun. It is no different than those idiots who go out and buy Funko Pops or whatever. The damn things are pointless. They cannot be played with and are just meant to sit there. Forever.

Watch it be Phil Spencer who greenlit the product and it was Matt Booty who came up with it.
Aw of course. Had to hit out at the top. How tired. 😪
Companies have marketing dept as well as licensing groups that work with outside parties to make this stuff. Pretty sure no one at the C-level is even aware of this.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
You can couch your baby since birth to be on the right side of the history.

They'll sell anything these days, sell outs.

I caved before I even started resisting, just pre-ordered two to give the kids as a surprise for XMAS. What am I doing with my life?

raw

EDIT: delivery in Aus for March, oh well, surprise gift post XMAS, in time for daughter's bday.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
That’s how you make money - provide a solution to a problem people didn’t even know they had :messenger_grinning_smiling:

poodaddy

This is the dumbest shit I've ever seen. Fuckin idiotic man. No defending this.

Probably gonna buy one....at least

Beechos

What in the name of tesla is ms doing with all this weird ass shit. I love it lol. Now bring back the xbox onesie that was something that was at least practical. Also release the full size xbox fridge for sale as opposed to giving it away to influencers.

plip.plop

I feel like they got this idea from working with PepsiCo. Specifically KFC's marketing team from the YUM division. Remember all the weird crap they came out with.

9efOHxU.jpg
Zs9HqcE.png
gSj8YmG.jpg

Top Bottom