• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: reviewer targeted for giving UC4 negative review

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHA-Lambda

“Your Washington post for Christ’s Sake , not a 12-year-old’s diary,” reads a recent internet petition about Uncharted 4. “Treat the game with professionalism and respect.”

This petition has over 4,000 supporters and has even been signed and tweeted by the popular voice actor Troy Baker, who co-stars in the newest Uncharted. Its goal is not to demand that The Washington Post take video games more seriously, nor is it to ask the storied newspaper to expand their gaming coverage more broadly. This is a petition to remove The Washington Post’s Uncharted 4 review score from Metacritic.

“This guy doesn’t deserve to be taken seriously by big , crucial sites like Metacritic,” reads the petition. “It harms the Flawless reputation of the game for absolutely no reason. A review is not about what you think a game is , its about what a game is. Objective measures are applied.”

http://kotaku.com/reviewer-targeted...m_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

I certainly expected better from Troy Baker

Lock if old.

PBY

Banned
Can't believe this stuff still happens.

So shameful, but actually just confuses the hell out of me because I just can't understand this type of sentiment.

Osahi

Let people have opinions. The amount of drama resolving around reviews and especially the value given to Metacritic is as astounding as it is stupid and unnecessairy.

Toki767

Isn't the main issue that Metacritic assigned a score to the review when the review didn't actually have a score?

People just can't let others have their own fucking opinions on things can they? Jesus Christ.

Fake edit: At the same time, some of the stuff in that review seems way off base. The story's "an inconclusive wreck"....? It's literally the exact opposite of that lol.

it is a pretty bad review (even kotaku points out how insubstantial it is), and the score is arbitrarily assigned by metacritic. So I can sort've I guess see the point

Of course the same classic threatening attackers have surfaced again

Ridiculous. How can someone get that worked up over a fucking review score?

Edit: Troy Baker's a part of the petition? Respect lost.

Jonboy

The bigger issue here is that Metacritic interpreted a non-scored review as a 4 out of 10.

Attacking a reviewer isn't ok, but I have no problem with people criticizing the content of the review itself. Based on its content, I think it warrants discussion as to whether or not it should be included in the metacritic numbers at all.

Why? Just why would anyone bother going to the trouble of starting a dumbass petition like this? Do these clowns have nothing better to do with their time, like maybe playing the bloody game.

OK... gamers taking Metacritic too seriously - part 10002.

How did they end up with a 4 anyway, since there is no score? You got to submit your own score to Metacritic, so the writer just put a random number on it. Bit strange, since Metacritic now has space for unscored reviews.

A review is not about what you think a game is , its about what a game is. Objective measures are applied.”
I don't think this guy understands what reviewing is.

El_Chino

People just can't let others have their own fucking opinions on things can they? Jesus Christ.

Fake edit: At the same time, some of the stuff in that review seems way off base. The story's "an inconclusive wreck"....? It's literally the exact opposite of that lol.
Well that's just the reviewers opinion isn't it? ;)

dugdug

Banned
OK, look.

The way people have reacted to this review is incredibly dumb. I feel bad for the author. HOWEVER.

Why is it on Metacritic if it didn't have a score? Why does MC get to just make up their own score and attach it? It doesn't make sense considering they have a section for unscored or in-progress reviews.

Hugstable

Banned
i havent been following this but why does the washington post have two reviews for uncharted 4?

the higher scored one is actually from Associated Press

OK, look.

The way people have reacted to this review is incredibly dumb. I feel bad for the author. HOWEVER.

Why is it on Metacritic if it didn't have a score? Why does MC get to just make up their own score and attach it? It doesn't make sense considering they have a section for unscored or in-progress reviews.

Reviewer most likely told Metacritic what the score would be if he were to place a score. Probably leaves score out of actual review since it seems to be the only thing anyone cares about when it's included.

Not sure though, just what I think most likely happened.

sjsteuck

Neo Member
I didn't bother to read the petition, but I believe the "review" in question is actually satire. It's on a humor page. So I'm guessing the petition wants it removed because it's not an actual review.

This seems more the fault of metacritic for assigning a number to a review that didn't have any, unless the reviewer personally contacted them.

Isn't the main issue that Metacritic assigned a score to the review when the review didn't actually have a score?

it is a pretty bad review (even kotaku points out how insubstantial it is), and the score is arbitrarily assigned by metacritic. So I can sort've I guess see the point

The bigger issue here is that Metacritic interpreted a non-scored review as a 4 out of 10.

Attacking a reviewer isn't ok, but I have no problem with people criticizing the content of the review itself. Based on its content, I think it warrants discussion as to whether or not it should be included in the metacritic numbers at all.

https://twitter.com/metacritic/status/730813790472818689

metacritic @metacritic
@Brave_GL The Post provides scores to us.

I thought Metacritic in a tweet actually got that score from the source(even though they don't use number scores publicly).
Either way, caring that much about Metacritic in general is silly.
I heard developers get bonuses depending on Metacritic overall scores so they'd care but that in itself is silly as well.

Cornbread78

So in summary:

- The review was off-base and sucked
- EDIT: The score sucked (opions, opinions)
- Scorned UC4 fanboy freaks out and starts petition...

We don't have enough good "drama's" in the gaming industry now do we?

This seems more the fault of metacritic for assigning a number to a review that didn't have any, unless the reviewer personally contacted them.
As far as I know, the publication submits to Metacritic with their score. So they submitted the 4 themselves, Metacritic didn't assign that themselves.

Gamers criticize reviewers for only reviewing on a 4-point scale. When reviewers actually use the full scale they get mad. Gamers want games to be art. When their games get criticized they get mad.

Ridiculous.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
LMAO. Just read the review and my god what a horrible fucking review.

But he's right. He reviewed the story and not the gameplay. And that is why i argue with gaffers on this. A game is only as good as its gameplay and when you take that away and start focusing on story it opens itself up to criticisms like this. There is no way the story in Uncharted games can live up to the scrutiny movies get and that's how this guy reviewed it.

So the next time you guys want story over gameplay, just remember that there will be pretentious douchebags like this guy who will shit all over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom