• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: The Xbox 3's Code Name Is "Durango" [Crytek: Durango Meeting In London]

Status
Not open for further replies.

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
I would be very surprised if Microsoft just gives Nintendo the whole holiday season without doing anything.

It would be a really neat move to present the new Xbox before the WiiU launch, possibly making it high end and getting people to ignore the WiiU and just wait for a real next gen console next year.
What determines a real next gen system?

protip: It's not power.

He had a comprehensive list of said leaks that were indeed dating back about a year. Regardless, the kits have been out there for awhile now.

Again, links? It seems like people WANT to believe the kits been out for a while (*cough Wii U cough*), as opposed to actually being true.

StevieP

Banned
Again, links? It seems like people WANT to believe the kits been out for a while (*cough Wii U cough*), as opposed to actually being true.

Search [Nintex]'s post history - I have work to do right now so I'm not able to do so. And Wii U kits have been out there even longer than the Durango kits.

DarkChild

Banned
Anyway, good thing MS seems to have great relationship with Crytek. They are more powerhungry than Epic, and the fact that they are probably the most important software partner tells me hardware won't disappoint. What they've done with 360 was amazing.

Deleting tweets and such is always a great way to draw further attention to it, once it's already gotten attention. Ignoring it would have been wiser.

Nice catch.

I'm sure he has no choice since it obviously violates NDA's. If I were him, I would have deleted the post and put up a troll face picture or something. Cause a little confusion instead of confirming it by nuking the whole account from orbit.

Satchel

Banned
I wonder if we'll see a Crysis 1 & 2 combo pack for next Box launch. Both games maxed out? That would be cool.

As well as Ryse.

themadcowtipper

My reasoning has nothing to do with wiiu, I think it would be best for 3rd parties to have easy portability between systems. As always I will own all three systems, for 1st party games.

DarkChild

Banned
I'm sure he has no choice since it obviously violates NDA's. If I were him, I would have deleted the post and put up a troll face picture or something. Cause a little confusion instead of confirming it by nuking the whole account from orbit.
I would pack my bags and flee to China. He messed up pretty badly there...

Jonm1010

Banned
Why would any of the games look like a 360 game ? The Wiiu is more powerful then that The nexbox will be more powerful but not by a huge margin somethink. I think some of grossly miscaculating the type of leap possible in a machine launching in the next two years. I see nothing wrong with havinfg 3 slightly different consoles on the market.

You said a leap similar from ps2 to Xbox. I was just explaining how small that leap would be. The visual differences between those two systems in real world output was not that noticeable of a difference to most observers. And that such a small leap would be less than what the wiiU is doing.

Maybe your frame of comparison is just a little off. Even the suggested ign rumor that was a low powered 6000 level gpu would be a greater leap then ps2 to Xbox.

Protip: it's subjective

So i'm willing to bet that something will be announced at GDC. Why have a secret meeting before a big upcoming conference? And I don't think Microsoft would let nintendo go unchallenged

GhaleonEB

I was thinking more in terms of avoiding further attention/inferring confirmation, but that's a good point about the NDA violation compelling its deletion.

I would say power and features. WiiU is next gen in both departments.

Really, we know so little about any of the systems, WiiU included, it's pretty impossible to have an intelligent conversation about comparing them.

So i'm willing to bet that something will be announced at GDC. Why have a secret meeting before a big upcoming conference? And I don't think Microsoft would let nintendo go unchallenged

No way is the public hearing shit about it at GDC. And they probably don't even want to be having closed door meetings about it at such a public outing since everyone would be whispering about it.

themadcowtipper

You said a leap similar from ps2 to Xbox. I was just explaining how small that leap would be. The visual differences between those two systems in real world output was not that noticeable of a difference to most observers. And that such a small leap would be less than what the wiiU is doing.

Maybe your frame of comparison is just a little off. Even the suggested ign rumor that was a low powered 6000 level gpu would be a greater leap then ps2 to Xbox.

Sorry I ment have three similar powered systems like the 6th generation(GC,Ps2,xbox) NOt that I want to have the next generational leap the size of ps2 to xbox.

StevieP

Banned

Way to be presumptuous.

Protip: it's not subjective.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_game_consoles_(seventh_generation)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_game_consoles_(Eighth_generation)

At all.

elcranky

Banned

First rumors were about this time last year. Using the 3 month timeline somewhat posited earlier that puts the kits out there about 15 months or so. The most recent leaks were regarding A: specific code name that now seems to have some serious weight behind it and B: a largish production run of FINAL silicon late last year. Why would there be a run of final silicon for a launch date later than 12 months out? It doesn't make sense.

I expect an E3 announcement for the next Xbox because of all the chatter since last Nov, but based off of Microsofts past I doubt they would announce a console and launch over a year later. I have guessed before that they would surprise people with a early 2013 launch not fall like usual, it would be a good way to build an install base during the year and avoid any shortages or trouble for holiday 2013 shoppers, basically if you want a nex-gen Xbox by the holidays of 2013 you'll get one, the same thing can't be said if it's only out there a month and a half before Christmas.

The more I think about a March / April 2013 release date, the more I love it.

It seems perfect, you have the Xbox 360's final big holiday with Halo 4, BioShock, Assassin's Creed 3, and Black Ops 2, and then release the next Xbox in March / April.

I really hope Microsoft does this.

Shion

You said a leap similar from ps2 to Xbox. I was just explaining how small that leap would be. The visual differences between those two systems in real world output was not that noticeable of a difference to most observers.

The difference between PS2 and XBOX graphics was very noticeable. It's just way below of what a difference between a current and a next generation console should be.

Watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkHoDEh0FWc

Too bad that most of XBOX's games were just PS2 ports.

elcranky

Banned
No chance. I'd like it to, but not happening with Halo 4 coming to 360 this year. Price cut and halo this year, next system in time for holiday 2013.

People use this all of the time. Unfortunately for them, that is a nonsensical argument as those things point towards a launch this year. To think otherwise displays a poor understanding of competitive strategy and market segmentation (which MS LOVES).

themadcowtipper

The person I was respondin to said when real next generation machines, like the wiiu wasn't a next gen machine .

The xbox, ps2 gc was the 6th generation. The xbox360 ,ps3, and wii was part of the 7th generation. The nextbox,ps4, and wiiu will be next generation machines, the 8th. So to say thing like real next gen machines like the person I was responding to makes no sense.
ignore the WiiU and just wait for a real next gen console next year.

People use this all of the time. Unfortunately for them, that is a nonsensical argument as those things point towards a launch this year. To think otherwise displays a poor understanding of competitive strategy and market segmentation (which MS LOVES).

I don't understand what you are saying. What are "those things" you are referring to? I assume Halo 4 since that's what I mentioned, but I don't see at all how Halo 4 coming to 360 this year = new Xbox this year.

Karak

The more I think about a March / April 2013 release date, the more I love it.

It seems perfect, you have the Xbox 360's final big holiday with Halo 4, BioShock, Assassin's Creed 3, and Black Ops 2, and then release the next Xbox in March / April.

I really hope Microsoft does this.

Agreed. I have felt like this for some time. I like the idea of the slow build so that by the holiday months those that other gamers know, have received the system and there is even more weight behind getting a console. It seems to make actual sense, versus the pseudo science of holiday only releases.

KageMaru

I still don't understand how a secret meeting indicates a reveal and especially launching this year. These types of seminars and such happen well in advance to a system launch.

Jonm1010

Banned
Way to be presumptuous.

The poster himself said he miswrote his post. We were having a very civil conversation until you butted in with your patented arrogant and condescending posts that assert your opinions and assumptions as facts.

There is a reason a lot of people on this board are annoyed with your posts and have an issue with you. You post like a fucking dick.

it most certainly is subjective in the individual sense.

You can catelogue all systems released during a timeframe and label them a generation. You can also catalogue systems based on any number of criteria or multiple criteria.

apana

I liked the old Nintendo codenames, "dolphin", "revolution", and so forth. Microsoft should have used an animal name, "Project Pigeon". Instead of "Cafe" for Wii U, Nintendo should have called it "Charmander".

Jonm1010

Banned
The person I was respondin to said when real next generation machines, like the wiiu wasn't a next gen machine .

The xbox, ps2 gc was the 6th generation. The xbox360 ,ps3, and wii was part of the 7th generation. The nextbox,ps4, and wiiu will be next generation machines, the 8th. So to say thing like real next gen machines like the person I was responding to makes no sense.

And again, to play devils advocate, there is no law stating that an individual must hold wikipedias criteria for cateloguing a generation of systems.

My point was its a stupid nit to pick.

If I want to base my criteria of a next gen system based on controller innovations or power or any number of criteria it really doesnt matter does it? Wikipedia is choosing timeframe as do most people, as do I, but I know any and every thing on the Internet can and will be argued but does this really need to be? If someone has a different idea of generational leaps, let them wallow in it. I'll just buy the system and enjoy its games while he/she continues moping.

Furthermore the guy sounds like a fanboy troll lol. Doesn't even seem worth it.

I still don't understand how a secret meeting indicates a reveal and especially launching this year. These types of seminars and such happen well in advance to a system launch.

We're just speculating. So far it seems the majority believe it will be revealed this year and released next year with a minority believing it won't be revealed or released this year.

McHuj

It doesn't, but the frequency of rumors is increasing. We're getting one about every one or two weeks now. That's usually a sign that more and more people are getting involved and exposed to it. The more people that know about it, then the more people that will talk.

I don't they'll launch this year, but I think the frequency of the rumors is a good sign for a real at E3.

We're just speculating. So far it seems the majority believe it will be revealed this year and released next year with a minority believing it won't be revealed or released this year.

I'm still hedging on a reveal and launch this year. Going by the constant rumors, and a feeling I have in my lower regions.

Jonm1010

Banned
It doesn't, but the frequency of rumors is increasing. We're getting one about every one or two weeks now. That's usually a sign that more and more people are getting involved and exposed to it. The more people that know about it, then the more people that will talk.

I don't they'll launch this year, but I think the frequency of the rumors is a good sign for a real at E3.

I think at this point even if we don't get a proper E3 reveal hopefully we'll still get a number of leaks or individual developers previewing their games in order to build hype before the reveal.

Similar to what we saw with Elder Scrolls, Dark Sector and a few other games before the start of this gen.

At least I hope.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't epic say the public won't be seeing UE4 at GDC?
They sure did, at least the preview is NDA bound:

Epic will conduct business and technical meetings for Unreal Engine 3, which offers the best toolset available for AAA game development, from mobile platforms and web-based gaming to consoles, high-end PC and beyond. The Unreal Engine holds eight consecutive Game Developer magazine Front Line Awards, with Unreal Engine 3 receiving the most recent accolade for best engine last month.

Epic will also unveil a preview of its next-generation game technology, Unreal Engine 4, to select licensees, partners and prospective customers during the exhibition. Space is very limited, and appointments and non-disclosure agreements are required to see the Unreal Engine 4 presentation.

Source: http://epicgames.com/news/epic-games-readies-for-action-at-game-developers-conference-2012/

StevieP

Banned
The poster himself said he miswrote his post. We were having a very civil conversation until you butted in with your patented arrogant and condescending posts that assert your opinions and assumptions as facts.

There is a reason a lot of people on this board are annoyed with your posts and have an issue with you. You post like a fucking dick.

I'm a dick? I'm stating a fact:

1) The seventh generation of consoles included the 360, Wii, PS3 (in that order)
2) The 8th generation of consoles will include the Wii U, Durango, PS4 (in an indeterminate order)

That is not arrogance or condescension, that is fact. Not just on Wikipedia, either.

You can categorize systems in terms of power until the cows come home, but that doesn't change which generation they were a part of. You can say that the Wii, as an example, used tech from the previous generation. Sure - it's CPU/GPU design originated in 1999 and were modified in 2005. But then so did Sony (who, in 2006, added tilt to a controller that was designed in 1996) as an example. Neither of those things change the facts. The console generations are not an opinion-based measuring stick or "assumptions".

Chittagong

Gold Member

Well typically when you start dev on a new console, you get approached by your dev rel liason, have a thick NDA shoved up your arse, get a discrete kit you are supposed to have in a secure space... Then you send a lot of quality time alone with it, and mailing/chatting with your dev rel reps about feedback and issues. You have very little idea who else has one and what they are doing for a long time.

Only when an important reveal milestone approaches you will have to start to align messages, coordinate assets and assign roles on which developer demostrates what in the reveal, and at that point you also get to share experiences on how to optimize for showtime.

So having a developer summit would indicate an approaching key milestone which requires aligning multiple developers. Anything before that or anything strictly Crytek-MSFT would be held in the premises of either party as that is safest and most economical.

Anything before that or anything strictly Crytek-MSFT would be held in the premises of either party as that is safest and most economical.

Not if your engine will be powering a number of early next gen games. Unless you want a Silicon Knights - Epic type of situation.

Seriously, unlike the last time around, Microsoft is in no hurry to jump into the next generation so it's to be expected that they'll take their sweet time preparing for launch, maturing the development process and so on, more so than they did with the 360.

Jonm1010

Banned
I'm a dick? I'm stating a fact:

1) The seventh generation of consoles included the 360, Wii, PS3 (in that order)
2) The 8th generation of consoles will include the Wii U, Durango, PS4 (in an indeterminate order)

That is not arrogance or condescension, that is fact. Not just on Wikipedia, either.

You can categorize systems in terms of power until the cows come home, but that doesn't change which generation they were a part of. You can say that the Wii, as an example, used tech from the previous generation. Sure - it's CPU/GPU design originated in 1999. But then so did Sony (who added tilt to a controller that was designed in 1996) as an example.

I said your posting style is dickish. And it is. At least a lot of times. Even when I agree with what you are saying. And don't get me wrong a decent amount of the stuff you say makes sense but your execution and style is often times grating, somewhat arrogant, borderline demeaning and rather antagonistic at times. I would suspect it is why almost all of your responses to posts(at least the ones I've read) lead to an argument of some sort when half the time they probably shouldn't.

As for the subjective vs objective tripe I allowed myself to be dragged into. My final response was in an above post. If the explaination and subsequent logic underlying it doesn't suit you, so be it.

KageMaru

I know, I was just thinking out loud. Outside of a very vague, and probably misleading, tech demonstration, I don't expect much to be revealed this year.

I can maybe see some type of video shown, but nothing mentioned of an actual next gen xbox. I thought MS played it off pretty well with the crash demo back in E3 2004 and if they do anything this year, it should be close to that.

Well typically when you start dev on a new console, you get approached by your dev rel liason, have a thick NDA shoved up your arse, get a discrete kit you are supposed to have in a secure space... Then you send a lot of quality time alone with it, and mailing/chatting with your dev rel reps about feedback and issues. You have very little idea who else has one and what they are doing for a long time.

Only when an important reveal milestone approaches you will have to start to align messages, coordinate assets and assign roles on which developer demostrates what in the reveal, and at that point you also get to share experiences on how to optimize for showtime.

So having a developer summit would indicate an approaching key milestone which requires aligning multiple developers. Anything before that or anything strictly Crytek-MSFT would be held in the premises of either party as that is safest and most economical.

Didn't MS and Sony both have seminars a year + before the launch of their respective current gen consoles or am I mistaken? I could have sworn I read about similar meetings for MS in 2004 and Sony in 2005.

No, they really don't. Nothing in this year's software offerings even hints at a 360 followup launching this year, there are way too many big 360 games scheduled that will soak up revenue that would otherwise be spent on a $399 console.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Not if your engine will be powering a number of early next gen games. Unless you want a Silicon Knights - Epic type of situation.

Didn't think about that to be honest. But wouldn't it be a Cryengine conf then not a Durango conf? Unless they are doing an Xbox exclusive engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom