• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Sources: Destiny 2 coming to PC [UPDATE: Loads of extra info]

Don't get this.

My stuff didn't carry over from Oblivion to Skyrim or from the Witcher 2 to 3.

I have to acquire a morphball in every metroid.

Every game ends eventually, why should destiny be different?

You probably aren't going to get most of the content in ROI by the time D2 comes out because RNGesus. It took some people over a year to get Gjallarhorn in Year 1 and then Xur sold it and Bungie left it behind for another Year. Can't blame people.

DevilDog

I don't mean to bring everyone down in here, but everything said here is pretty much rumors right?

Or do I take it it's ''oficially''' confirmed until confirmed otherwise?

Nameless

I'd love an legit, robust character creator along with a hide helmet option. Customization in general should be a priority. Let people go nuts and really make their Guardians their own.

tmac456

would absolutely be in for a fresh start. put a lot of time into Destiny but grew tired of it before the major expansions hit

GlamFM

Banned
While Destiny is in need of an overhaul to really fulfill its potential, I don't like the idea f leaving EVERYTHING behind. You should be able to expand on the world thats already been built, otherwise, what a waste

What a massive waste/

I've seen those areas, played the raids and the strikes a million times.

I just finished 3 quest in ROI to get 3 exotic guns I already had.

If I pop in Destiny 2 and see a fucking Gjallarhorn I'll throw up.

I'm soooooo done with it.

Everything new! Everything fresh!

THATS exciting.

RoKKeR

I don't mean to bring everyone down in here, but everything said here is pretty much rumors right?

Or do I take it it's ''oficially''' confirmed until confirmed otherwise?
These sources are better than most.

I hope it provides a fresh start. I would love to have the feeling replicated in the gane that was present in a lot of those early concept pieces. Worlds that gave you an actual reason to explore them is what got me so interested in it in the first place.

Hmmmm. Probaly hold off on getting that collectors pack. I was thinking of jumping back in because I miss Destiny but I can wait for a sequel if its next year.

Unless the price gets cut in half.

rav

Well, for the amount of money I've put into Destiny 1 so far (not bothering with the new expansion as the others were far too lackluster for the $). Destiny 2 has to totally blow me away for me to care. Coming to PC is a good start. Maybe they should have a story that is actually in-game rather than card based?

I was a huge fan of Destiny, and wanted to dig into the story and the lore, and the only way to get me to come back is to actually have lore and story and characters that I care about.

This is is old news and things changed drastically. Also it has nothing to do to carry over. 10 year plan could mean 10 year plan of microtransactions.

Yeah, kinda. A lot of things change in that race toward 10 years especially when you're built on a platform that was about dead.

I'm aware that things change but they haven't made much of an effort in letting the players know that, have they? I've looked into it and found a single quote, exclusive to Edge magazine where Urk jokes about it. I believe someone quoted it in this thread already.
By not outright denying it, they've unintentionally fostered the idea and now they're on the cusp of potentially angering many of their players. Not everyone is going to be content with a mere Year 1 emblem or whatever.
I mentioned it in the other thread but it's also not reflective of their "Become Legend" theme. What happens to our Legend in Destiny 2?

Funny that one of you would mention microtransactions, though. I'm sure the people who spent real money on so-and-so emotes are going to be estatic to find out they won't carry over. Or the ornaments they're currently selling in Rise of Iron, etc.

But I digress, I feel like I'm getting worked up over nothing because apparently they haven't even decided themselves. Here's hoping they strongly consider it.

Wow that's something to keep an eye out, game felt like it needed an overhaul for the sequel and I'm glad they are actually creating living spaces as opposed to lifeless plains

Sounds like they know they fucked up engine and content wise. Colour me interested in a PC version after being completely underwhelmed by D1.

Terrifyer

Banned
Yeah, totally sick of destiny 1 right now. It's kind of insane how much they've reused the existing content that I can't even imagine ever wanting to see it again.

My character in destiny also just feels like a coat rack that holds items so I'm fine with ditching him.

Really excited to be able to play destiny on pc if true. I really struggle with the console controls especially in PvP.

Bungie needs to carry emotes over to the next game though. Some of us have over a lot invested in that and it's not like it will be much trouble for the player economy or animation team.

If the price for a revamped and improved game is a compromise on the character transfer, I'm ok with it. The gameplay and sandbox should be the top priority.

Sure, it would be nice to do a Mass Effect style transfer of appearance and decisions/accomplishments, but it's not necessary. The story takes us all to the same place. Guardian wins, rah-rah.

Bungie needs to carry emotes over to the next game though. Some of us have over a lot invested in that and it's not like it will be much trouble for the player economy or animation team.

Yeah, that stuff should be a no brainer in carrying over.

Deku Tree

What if they tell you that you can get to upgrade them to D2 versions for $1 each?

Anno

Sounds good. I've been waiting to give this a try. Seems like they have a lot more bandwidth to work with now, hopefully it'll be good!

Chiggs

I think it's a mistake to drop D1 stuff. I read the second update about how some of it would be re-introduced once updated, and they would be wise to make good on that. Severing ties with D1 would be a bad move.

Maybe the genre in the grand scheme of things isn't for me. I just hate to be told hours of progress will be rendered useless. Arguing that I had fun along the way has nothing to do with that argument.

Good post, and you're not alone with your sentiment.

Yea, it's coming to PC. From what I'm told the decision to restructure was made thanks to a major memory ceiling being reached on last gen with regard to the Rise of Iron expansion, which was set to launch in the spring, not fall. Bungie decided to push out D2 since it was behind and needed much more iteration, and took advantage of the Rise of Iron delays to use that as the content stop gap for the fall of this year.

Destiny 2 is being overhauled so that they can build upon it in the future without having to work within the frame work limitations that D1 setup. Right now, the way things play out, they have to introduce playspaces so that players can engage in systems or activities, but it creates a huge barrier that must be overcome on both the networking & design side so, they're going to do more open playspaces that incorporate towns, outposts, etc into more common areas. This means fewer hardlines for areas and having them be gated by menus. Goal is to have players conducting things & making activity decisions while still in control of their character, instead of having to exit out into an activity hub. Think of how in WoW, you hit a button and queue into activities you want to do all while still playing your character.

Major narrative changes are on board for D2. Both in terms of plot direction, pacing & structure. Major focus is going to be on the Cabal & Saturn. Saturn is a playspace is set to be bigger than all of the playspaces currently implemented in the game combined. This is in large part of the scale of playspaces being redesigned, so it'll be both bigger & denser with activities. There's a reason Guardians take the fight to Saturn.

Major changes to the engine are occurring. Their render tech has gone through some major iteration thanks in large part to getting to approach it without having last-gen as a limit. Because of this, they are still undecided what, if any, of Destiny's old content, both in terms of playspace, areas, Strikes & raids, will be available through D2. There is talk in possibly allowing D1 remain as its own client, which flies against how Destiny currently operates, where as the new content renders the old client & content obsolete.

Live team has been going through some iteration so that they may continue to support Destiny with content after a major content drop, but they are stuck between a rock & a hard place. The live team is trying to support a game running on an old engine with its older tools, whereas the bulk of development is on the engine framework & enjoying new tools. Because of this, the Live team is largely handcuffed, so don't really expect a whole lot of post-launch content for D1 in the next year.

However, starting with the launch of D2, we will see far more substantial content dropping in the time between yearly releases, as the game & engine & live team have all been planned to support that going forward. Team is aware that they need more substantial content throughout the year, not just at the end of it.

If they do drop D1 content, it likely won't be permanent - they might reintroduce areas in a more 'D2' fleshed out way. So we might lose temporary access to these places, then regain it or have to fight back for control of it at a later point in the plot. This means we'll get to see older areas or activities through the perspective of the newer content, which also means the older areas might expand considerably by the time we get back to them, since the design goal for playspaces is to now make them both way bigger & way denser with activities.

Edit: New races & factions are planned. No idea on whats happening with regards to classes however. New enemies within factions are also going to be introduced. Take the Psions for the Cabal for example - they are going to get fleshed out in D2.
If even a quarter of this info ends up being true, I'll be really happy.

Do you guys think that the D1 gear will re-appear in D2 and if we'll have to get them all over again?
"They're just recycling old content."

"But can we unlock old content?"

VexyWexy

I've seen those areas, played the raids and the strikes a million times.

I just finished 3 quest in ROI to get 3 exotic guns I already had.

If I pop in Destiny 2 and see a fucking Gjallarhorn I'll throw up.

I'm soooooo done with it.

Everything new! Everything fresh!

THATS exciting.

This is the right mentality. It's a new game. I want it to feel familiar sure, but not like I've already played it.

"Your Guardian will be with you your whole 10 year journey! Oh wait did we say 10 year? We meant 3 year journey. Say bye!"
Destiny 1 won't necessarily stop immediately- though if D2 is that more attractive, I can see mass-migration.
Whatever the case is, D1 players will certainly have a bonus.

Yea, it's coming to PC. From what I'm told the decision to restructure was made thanks to a major memory ceiling being reached on last gen with regard to the Rise of Iron expansion, which was set to launch in the spring, not fall. Bungie decided to push out D2 since it was behind and needed much more iteration, and took advantage of the Rise of Iron delays to use that as the content stop gap for the fall of this year.

Destiny 2 is being overhauled so that they can build upon it in the future without having to work within the frame work limitations that D1 setup. Right now, the way things play out, we have to introduce playspaces so that players can engage in systems or activities, but it creates a huge barrier that must be overcome on both the networking & design side so, they're going to do more open playspaces that incorporate towns, outposts, etc into more common areas. This means fewer hardlines for areas and having them be gated by menus. Goal is to have players conducting things & making activity decisions while still in control of their character, instead of having to exit out into an activity hub. Think of how in WoW, you hit a button and queue into activities you want to do all while still playing your character.

Major narrative changes are on board for D2. Both in terms of plot direction, pacing & structure. Major focus is going to be on the Cabal & Saturn. Saturn is a playspace is set to be bigger than all of the playspaces currently implemented in the game combined. This is in large part of the scale of playspaces being redesigned, so it'll be both bigger & denser with activities. There's a reason Guardians take the fight to Saturn.

Major changes to the engine are occurring. Their render tech has gone through some major iteration thanks in large part to getting to approach it without having last-gen as a limit. Because of this, they are still undecided what, if any, of Destiny's old content, both in terms of playspace, areas, Strikes & raids, will be available through D2. There is talk in possibly allowing D1 remain as its own client, which flies against how Destiny currently operates, where as the new content renders the old client & content obsolete.

Live team has been going through some iteration so that they may continue to support Destiny with content after a major content drop, but they are stuck between a rock & a hard place. The live team is trying to support a game running on an old engine with its older tools, whereas the bulk of development is on the engine framework & enjoying new tools. Because of this, the Live team is largely handcuffed, so don't really expect a whole lot of post-launch content for D1 in the next year.

However, starting with the launch of D2, we will see far more substantial content dropping in the time between yearly releases, as the game & engine & live team have all been planned to support that going forward. Team is aware that they need more substantial content throughout the year, not just at the end of it.

If they do drop D1 content, it likely won't be permanent - they might reintroduce areas in a more 'D2' fleshed out way. So we might lose temporary access to these places, then regain it or have to fight back for control of it at a later point in the plot. This means we'll get to see older areas or activities through the perspective of the newer content, which also means the older areas might expand considerably by the time we get back to them, since the design goal for playspaces is to now make them both way bigger & way denser with activities.

Edit: New races & factions are planned. No idea on whats happening with regards to classes however. New enemies within factions are also going to be introduced. Take the Psions for the Cabal for example - they are going to get fleshed out in D2.

We as in Bungie or we as in Shinobi? Please say both. You'd be my most favorite Gafer ever.

-hadouken

You didn't miss anything PC players. Being spared from buying Destiny 1 should be counted as a blessing. My biggest digital pre-order regret...

A PC version would be great. These rumors/leaks/whatever sound like Bungie is moving in the right direction.

As for carrying things over, I honestly don't think they need to bring over much. Character's physical appearance, their class, emotes and emblems are really all I expect and want. The rest of the game including weapons, ships, vehicles, classes/ability trees and even current zones all need a major rethink in my opinion and I'd rather not have the old stuff holding Bungie back.

Chiggs

You didn't miss anything PC players. Being spared from buying Destiny 1 should be counted as a blessing. My biggest digital pre-order regret...

Same here, at least at launch. It was the only game that I returned (opened) to GameStop and managed to get a full refund because of my surliness. I later tried it again with the Master Chief Collection, by far the bigger offender, and was told no.

Destiny has vastly improved, however. It's a damn fun game.

Eh, depends on who you ask

Here's one of the biggest problems -among many- (to me).

People work their asses off grinding getting their characters qualified enough to be able to power through some of destiny's toughest challenges. On the other hand, some people never even bother doing the raid. 11 months later, the people who never touched the raid are now on the same playing field of all the people who spent hundreds of hours perfecting said raid and digging for rare exotics. Their greens are more powerful than the exotic that took someone tens of hours to find.

Great design huh?!

Now, here we are talking about moving goal posts again by possibly erasing everything prior to destiny two which sounds like a warped version of what I just described above. So what is the point outside of the hunt in and of itself for virtual items if not to be a trophy of my experience and new means to grow my character rooted in this world Bungie created? Ideally, when you set out to grow and develop a character in what is essentially an MMO, you don't want to be told there is a reset button on account of "oh, we figured out what we want to do now!"

Do it once and it sets a precedent for what may come later and you are going to have a lot of people not wanting to bother all things considered.

This is just one of many examples why Bungie were in over their heads with this genre starting with the base game (those of us there remember the war stories there) .

Maybe the genre in the grand scheme of things isn't for me. I just hate to be told hours of progress will be rendered useless. Arguing that I had fun along the way has nothing to do with that argument.

Um

WoW does the same thing each expansion. They have been for the past 10 years. The problem in this case isnt Bungie "making players lose their progress." Its the players expectations.

For example, Ive been levelling my Warlock in WoW, and Ive been replacing gear I got from raids with greens. And you know what? That isnt Blizzard telling me "those hours of progress you made is rendered useless."

Bungie HAS to do the same thing, or else their game will face stagnation. Like I mentioned earlier, people talk about a gun named "Hung Jury" thats a year old.

Like...whats the point of Bungie creating new content if players will just stay with the old stuff? If I had my way, I would still be using Tarecgosas staff in WoW. But the fact is, I spent hundreds of hours getting it almost 5 years ago, and you know what? I dont feel like Blizzard is taking away my hours spent progressing, nor do I feel spite for it.

Its on the player. You shouldnt expect to be able to use your old gear 2 years into a game, nor should Bungie feel the need to compensate for that.

Im glad Luke Smith is lead designer on it, seeing as he used to be a hardcore WoW raider way back when. He knows how the genre works, and one of those things is that there has to be a moment where you leave the old behind.

Like you said, maybe the genre isnt for you. Thats fine. But Destiny is trying to be that type of genre. And there are things that come with being that.

I have no attachment to my character other then some cool looking armour and a light level, so I have no issues with starting over .

I have a feeling they will just reuse a lot of guns / armours anyway.

Also excited to explore more mars , I loved the cabal , but I hope there idea of new enemies does not mean cabal taken skin , cabal rise of iron reskin etc . I want entirely new enemies with a new design and moveset.

It's the gunplay that people keep playing for.

Also larger areas with no load times is fantastic , no need for 3-4 social spaces that all do the same thing .

SaganIsGOAT

One of the best features they could bring is Universal characters. Drop this platform exclusive shit with Sony and make sure all platforms get the same content. Then make sure our character works on PS, Xbox, and PC. That would be hype.

Jblanks

While Destiny is in need of an overhaul to really fulfill its potential, I don't like the idea f leaving EVERYTHING behind. You should be able to expand on the world thats already been built, otherwise, what a waste

What a massive waste/

That's what I felt playing Destiny up to TTK; and to a degree still do.

Anyhow all of this is great news. Hoping that Saturn (and some of it's moons) aren't the only space though. Europa please.

Top Bottom