• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: The Story Behind Mass Effect: Andromeda's Troubled Five-Year Development

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Really fantastic read.

Long and short of it: spent way, way too long in pre-production with impressively lofty dreams and scope that ultimately lacked coherent direction and leadership, alongside numerous toolset issues pertaining to Frostbite 3 that hadn't been resolved in Inquisition. Loss of original director and understaffed areas of development like animation resulted in a lot of cheap outsourcing and excessive crunch as the team attempted to salvage a project that left pre-production into production without a fully functioning vertical slice and numerous over ambitious production issues unresolved. 18 months crunch produced the Andromeda we got today, with a significant bulk of writing, planet, and quest design competed in this window, the most impressive and polished elements like combat and driving the few handovers from its earliest iterations.

akileese

Where did he post them? I can't seem to find them.

Jason isn't gonna give up his sources. Most of the people who spoke about the game spoke anonymously because legally speaking, they can't talk about the development process and would be in breach of contract. That's pretty standard in most industries, not just gaming.

Really fantastic read.

Long and short of it: spent way, way too long in pre-production with impressively lofty dreams and scope that ultimately lacked coherent direction and leadership, alongside numerous toolset issues pertaining to Frostbite 3 that hadn't been resolved in Inquisition. Loss of original director and understaffed areas of development like animation resulted in a lot of cheap outsourcing and excessive crunch as the team attempted to salvage a project that left pre-production into production without a fully functioning vertical slice and numerous over ambitious production issues unresolved. 18 months crunch produced the Andromeda we got today, with a significant bulk of writing, planet, and quest design competed in this window, the most impressive and polished elements like combat and driving the few handovers from its earliest iterations.

I'm gonna disagree and say it was pulled out of pre-production too soon. They didn't have all the development tools they needed. I mean shit, they didn't even have the scope of the game when it left pre-production, which is unheard of. EA is beholden to their shareholders though and what the shareholders want, they get. This game was the culmination of that. We were all really surprised when we heard it was coming in March and hadn't seen hardly any of it. Now we know why.

LordRaptor

First of all, where are all the sources? Is most of the information anonymous then?

Do you know what people will openly talk about development issues on a project they worked on with their real names attached?
People who don't want to work in the industry any more.

for everyone else, there's "sources close to the project said"

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I started hearing alarm bells during that one EA conference at E3 when everyone expected a Mass Effect: Andromeda blow out, and instead all we got was footage of the development team working on the game... A SECOND FUCKING TIME! That's when I knew something was up.

It was when the release date was announced for me, the game hadn't even been to an E3.

dmr87

Thanks for the article Jason.

Not long before Mass Effect: Andromeda launched, BioWare sent early builds of the game to mock reviewers, as nearly every AAA game developer does in the months before their game comes out. A mock reviewer will typically offer a private, early assessment of a game, a report on its strengths and weaknesses, and a predicted Metacritic range. Companies frequently make major strategic decisions based on Metacritic scores, so it's that number that gets the most attention.

Of course.

Gator86

This definitely does not sound like ME has a future anymore

With access to the Star Wars license​, how Andromeda turned out, the collapse of Edmonton, and the support requirements of Dylan, I can't imagine a scenario where we see ME again.

Admodieus

Where did he post them? I can't seem to find them.

When a journalist uses anonymous sources (likely because revealing them would get them fired), it is up to you to place your trust in these sources by extension of the journalist. The journalist's track record is key in this scenario, as a good track record makes them and their sources more credible. This also acts as a control on the journalist to not just publish everything they hear but try to corroborate and get lots of sources before publishing.

Jason has broken tons of stories like this before, especially around Destiny. Even with anonymous sources, many people here on GAF and elsewhere trust this piece. If MasterChief34 on GAF cited anonymous sources saying this, then I would dismiss it out of hand.

DevilDog

It says in the article the sources are protected because they aren't allowed to talk about the game.

He's not going to out his sources. They would get fired.

Jason isn't gonna give up his sources. Most of the people who spoke about the game spoke anonymously because legally speaking, they can't talk about the development process and would be in breach of contract. That's pretty standard in most industries, not just gaming.

Do you know what people will openly talk about development issues on a project they worked on with their real names attached?
People who don't want to work in the industry any more.

for everyone else, there's "sources close to the project said"

It says in the article that it was developers who talked to him under guarantee of anonymity.
When a journalist uses anonymous sources (likely because revealing them would get them fired), it is up to you to place your trust in these sources by extension of the journalist. The journalist's track record is key in this scenario, as a good track record makes them and their sources more credible. This also acts as a control on the journalist to not just publish everything they hear but try to corroborate and get lots of sources before publishing.

Jason has broken tons of stories like this before, especially around Destiny. Even with anonymous sources, many people here on GAF and elsewhere trust this piece. If MasterChief34 on GAF cited anonymous sources saying this, then I would dismiss it out of hand.
Um thanks.

Zaph

Like... how? Why on earth wouldn't EA give the team making the new Mass Effect game every resource they needed? That seems beyond incomprehensible to me.
Apparently ME isn't the sales giant you'd think it would be given its standing in the industry and achievements of ME1 and 2. Dragon Age is the bigger game.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Great read. One thing I'm curious about is how successful mock reviews are at projecting final assessments vs them diverging like in this case.

Gator86

Thanks for the article Jason.

Of course.

It is pretty ridiculous that large companies would make decisions based on an aggregate measure of critical response to their product. Oh wait, it's actually not ridiculous at all.

akileese

Why was it used then? Was this the only feasible way for the game to get made?

Frosbite is EA's crown jewel of an engine and they want it in everything. That's the only reason I can think of. Otherwise, they would've just backed off and used UE4 or something and dealt with the limitations.

The problem is the engine Bioware needs to make their games work doesn't exist. It seems that even trying to modify Frostbite to fit their needs was a futile effort so I don't know where they go from here. I imagine they'd have to build a new engine from scratch, but I can't see EA going for that.

Just finished.

God damn. Great work by Jason. Really, really good stuff. It's so important to highlight the human side of game development.

So many people were out with knives for Bioware when ME:A came out and it's very clear they had ambitious ideas that were hampered by tools and staffing issues. It's really unfortunate.

Can't wait to read a book full of this.

What's the idea behind using the same engine if that doesn't simplify the development?

Engines are very expensive to develop so in theory unifying all their games on one engine saves money. But when a game takes 5 years to make on it then I think that concept probably went out the wjndow

Warning signs for me was when we never got extended looks at the gameplay loop until very late in the marketing campaign and when we finally did get a "long" gameplay video it showed off the horrible animations, writing and character dialog.

Mock reviews were probably being generous and they should have factored that in.

rhandino

Banned
One early idea was to develop a prequel to Mass Effect, set during the First Contact Wars of the series’ lore, when the humans of Mass Effect’s galaxy had interacted with aliens for the first time.
This would have been so perfect T_T

Like, yeah, they were going to use all the familiar races but this time most of them would be as enemies and could have opened tons of interesting types of missions.

Oh well.

I'm not really seeing how the internets "passion" for hating Bioware is radically different to its passion for hating anything at all, but I'll give it a read.

kiguel182

Ea forcing everyone to use frostbite seems to be a mistake. Not that it was the only problem but it didn't help.

Overall, bad pre production cycle and understaffing. Sucks to everyone involved really, the timing of their release but the final nail in the coffin.

Griss

Basically they fucked around with procedural generation for 18 months before realising it's really hard to do right and has no place in a narrative-heavy AAA action/shooting game. Then they had 18 months to make the real thing, which was 18 months too few due to Frostbite being a bitch.

Ouch.

I still cannot fathom why Mac Walters was chosen to be game director after his hand in the Mass Effect 3 ending and the backlash that ensued.

There were multiple problems plaguing this game it is obvious but a better choice in game director might have meant that someone was overseeing the game who had more foresight and ability to right the ship as development went on over the years.

Then there is the very obvious and glaring fact that not many seem to mention. Bioware didn't HAVE to make a new Mass Effect game at this point in time. Shepard's story was done. No one was expecting a new Mass Effect game. If their top tier development teams were busy working on Dragon Age 4 and Dylan, Mass Effect could have waited. They could have made and released a wonderful Mass Effect team a few years down the line that did the franchise justice.

*Editing to add that yes, Bioware needs to release games on a consistent basis to keep EA and shareholders happy but the Dragon Age: Inquisition team could have begun production of Mass Effect: Andromeda as soon as DA:I was out and delayed the production of Dragon Age 4

From the article, it sounds like most of the problems started before Walters was brought in to head the project. He probably did the best he could to pull the project together and release something, given the problems and external pressures coming the studio's way.

Very sad. Unreal 4 may have saved them some trouble and opened up more resources to where they really needed them.

Jarmel

Banned
What's the idea behind using the same engine if that doesn't simplify the development?

Marketing/PR

From the article, it sounds like most of the problems started before Walters was brought in to head the project. He probably did the best he could to pull the project together and release something, given the problems and external pressures coming the studio's way.

Very sad. Unreal 4 may have saved them some trouble and opened up more resources to where they really needed them.

Yea it sounds like Walters wasn't really the problem with this. You can definitely ding him about the dialogue being bad but it was also done in a hurry.

Frosbite is EA's crown jewel of an engine and they want it in everything. That's the only reason I can think of. Otherwise, they would've just backed off and used UE4 or something and dealt with the limitations.

The problem is the engine Bioware needs to make their games work doesn't exist. It seems that even trying to modify Frostbite to fit their needs was a futile effort so I don't know where they go from here. I imagine they'd have to build a new engine from scratch, but I can't see EA going for that.
Honestly, the only way to make an engine all EA games of any genre can run on is to make Frostbite 4 and have DICE and Bioware work on it together from the start. That way the pipelines and toolsets exist from the start and there's no need to jerry-rig stuff at the last second.

The director change is one I wish Jason had more info on, because it sounds like they might have gotten rid of the first guy because he was all big ideas and no way to execute them, while Mac Walters at least knows how to execute stuff, even if he isn't a great ideas guy.

x-Lundz-x

For it's faults, I still loved it and am very happy with my purchase. Was it the next big thing I was hoping for? No, but I DO think there is a foundation to build off for future games. I love this franchise and would hate to see it completely axed.

This was an amazing read.
Thank you Jason.

I feel really sorry for the devs man, seems like they went to hell and back making this game.

Do they talk about the story, writing and lore at all? I feel like a lot of stuff would've been forgiven had the writing and characters been on point.

kuYuri

Sounds like Frostbite shouldn't be used for every type of game out of EA. I wonder if sticking with Unreal would have alleviated some of the issues.

I still haven't played ME:A since I've been busy, but this is just heartbreaking to read as a fan of the series.

Spoo

It's a shame they went with the Frostbite engine. Unreal Engine 4 would have been better.

It's interesting how often this actually happens, and how frequently there are very real consequences for the developers. It sort of reminds me of how Tango was forced to use Id Tech 5 for The Evil Within; an engine first not suited to their needs, lacking probably the requisite support of a more established engine, and in fact counter to their needs in some respects (no dynamic lighting, something they ended up building themselves which in turn tanked their FR, and so on and so forth).

I understand *why* it happens. You blow money on acquiring some team, get their technology in the deal, and then feel compelled to use that same technology -- or you spend a bunch of time creating internal tech and want a one-size fits-all approach; but to actually get your engine technology to a point where you can reasonably say it's "ready" to fit all game needs, I mean, that's a dark road of denial for most if not all tech houses if your name isn't Epic.

akileese

Honestly, the only way to make an engine all EA games of any genre can run on is to make Frostbite 4 and have DICE and Bioware work on it together from the start. That way the pipelines and toolsets exist from the start and there's no need to jerry-rig stuff at the last second.

The director change is one I wish Jason had more info on, because it sounds like they might have gotten rid of the first guy because he was all big ideas and no way to execute them, while Mac Walters at least knows how to execute stuff, even if he isn't a great ideas guy.

You're definitely right on the engine and I'm wondering if that's where it's headed. It's either that, or you cut bioware loose, which I don't see them doing.

I guess from a forward thinking perspective, that eventually after all the tweaks and add-ons, future development would be easier and cheaper. You just have to go through the growing pains first.

Do they talk about the story, writing and lore at all? I feel like a lot of stuff would've been forgiven had the writing and characters been on point.

They talk about how the changing scope of the game made it pretty tough on the writers, that other teams' issues meant they sort of started too late, and that they felt understaffed.

Griss

The Mass Effect: Andromeda team was also having trouble executing the ideas they’d found so exciting just a year ago. Combat was shaping up nicely, as were the prototypes BioWare had developed for the Nomad ground vehicle, which already felt way better to drive than Mass Effect 1’s crusty old Mako. But spaceflight and procedurally generated planets were causing some problems. “They were creating planets and they were able to drive around it, and the mechanics of it were there,” said a person who worked on the game. “I think what they were struggling with was that it was never fun. They were never able to do it in a way that’s compelling, where like, ‘OK, now imagine doing this a hundred more times or a thousand more times.’”

By the end of 2015, Mass Effect: Andromeda’s leads realized that the procedural system wasn’t working out. Flying through space and landing on randomly generated planets still seemed like a cool concept—and by then, many people at BioWare were looking with great interest at No Man’s Sky—but they couldn’t make it work. So they decided to rescope.

I mean, it's the No Man's Sky problem down to a tee.

Ultimately, they were right to move away from that stuff. It's just a shame it took them so long to realise what a poor fit procedurally generated planets would be.

Top Bottom