• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: The Story Behind Mass Effect: Andromeda's Troubled Five-Year Development

takriel

I'm terribly sorry for all those who worked their asses off for this game. Must be really hard, working your ass off just to get the game in a somewhat presentable shape.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I really dont understand. Given how expensive it was/is to build and develop your own engine, why would EA stubbornly force their own studios to use frostbite? It strikes me as either incredibly incompetent or self-sabotaging on their part.

Excellent read, a nice summation of what went wrong. Hopefully Bioware's next title has clearer vision and the directors actually put a lot more thought into the consequences of some of their design ambitions.

You generally do it because you think your long term results will be way better than your short-to-mid-term pain.

EA can put more developers on Frostbite than Epic has staff including all their game teams, so you eventually get way ahead of that.

Mufc1427

Fascinating article. Its a shame what happened, especially because we are probably not gonna see a new Mass Effect for a long time.

What a bummer. And as the article mentioned, this game released at an absolutely brutal time. If this was 2014, I'd probably at least give it a try. 2017? No way - there are way too many other games I want to play but don't have time for.

Also, I'm surprised the mock reviews were so much better than actual reviews.

Harlequin

This just makes it all the more clear that EA should've let them do MEA2 IMO. Should've listened to their employees, fixed the management and resource problems and given them a second chance.

This is a great read. Some of this stuff was expected, while some of it is eye opening. Facial animations being flagged as a huge risk years ago means some guy somewhere is going "I was right! You should've listened to me!"

Sounds like one of the main problems with animation (besides the animation team being horribly understaffed, Frostbite not having good animation tools and the tech side being a bit of a mess) was the story still being worked on until very late in the process, though. You can't animate scenes that haven't been written yet.

Lime

With the amount of crunching and people being overworked, I'm really sad that the game ended up being such an incomplete turd. I'd rather they had cancelled the game before the game went into crunch hell.

Honestly, I don't understand why they'd go ahead with 1) full production before the tools were ready, 2) bring in writers very late in the process, 3) start outsourcing in order to force the issue and, 4) ask for little to no music as if they skimped on it. 5) Trust mock reviews when the game obviously was flawed to hell and back.

Seems to me that they should have put it on hold until it was ready to go into full production or just cancel it.

No chance. It took 5 years to get Andromeda out and they're nowhere close to even considering another one now. I can't imagine we see one until maybe the end of next gen, if ever really.

It took them 5 years because (as was clearly stated in the article) an unfocused vision that catastrophically affected all other elements of the project (they aimed for no mans sky when they in the end they knew they should've stuck with what worked in the trilogy gameplay-wise). They have the vision now: Andromeda Galaxy, world-building in heleus, an established roster of characters, and combat/driving mechanics that work well.

So no, I don't think taking an existing framework and making it better for a sequel is somehow equivalent to the mess that is trying to build a procedural game from the ground up for 3 years.

4) ask for little to no music as if they skimped on it.

Except that's not the case? The article very clearly tells the situation of an audio team that had to deal with complete game reworks right up until launch. It wasn't a matter of them not wanting music, it was a matter of them not having enough time to make a proper video game score amid drastically changing elements of the game. Imagine, if you will, that you're John Paesano and you make this really good track for a level in the game and all of the sudden the level is completely removed from the game because of ongoing development issues. Not only would you lose all that hard work you spend composing, but now you're even closer to launch with nothing to show for it.

Knowing this I actually think the soundtrack is pretty okay for the shit they probably had to deal with.

hmm i remember thinking if using Frostbite for a big RPG really was a wise choice.. i based it on basically nothing but apparently my not-even-close-to-being-informed hunch was correct.

such a shame :/ i really like the game actually, a joy to play and i appreciate the openness. to think it could've been significantly better is a major bummer.

Were there any maps of such size in Andromeda?..

100km by 100km would be 10 000 square kilometers.. so nope lol. what the hell were they thinking..?

Silexx

I really dont understand. Given how expensive it was/is to build and develop your own engine, why would EA stubbornly force their own studios to use frostbite? It strikes me as either incredibly incompetent or self-sabotaging on their part.

Excellent read, a nice summation of what went wrong. Hopefully Bioware's next title has clearer vision and the directors actually put a lot more thought into the consequences of some of their design ambitions.

They don't have to pay to use Frostbite. It's basically what it comes down to.

The thing about the mock reviews being off by 10-15 points because of all the great games that came out between them and the final release is interesting. I think the memes of the terrible animations and other bugs would have hurt it a lot regardless, but the game probably would have been seen as decent if disappointing compared to ME3 and Inquisition rather than a total dumpster fire had it released six months earlier in the same state, and certainly would have done better sales-wise.

Conversely, a shitload of games that released over the first few years of this generation that were considered good or even great would probably have taken a similar 5-15 point hit had they come out around the same time that Andromeda wound up releasing.

Man it has to suck as a devloper when you realize just how much you need to scale down your baby to make it shippable in a timely manner. Thats game development though, ambition starts out soaring and when you realize it actually has to come out it comes crashing down, i mean look at ffxv for instance. I love the mass effect trilogy and im very sad that they managed to kill mass effect. But if it means we dont get another mass effect game like andromeda, thats probabbly foe the best

Caboose

Am I going to have to revise my opinion from Mac "The Hack" Walters to Mac "Isn't actually the problem and seems pretty competent" Walters?

olag

You generally do it because you think your long term results will be way better than your short-to-mid-term pain.

EA can put more developers on Frostbite than Epic has staff including all their game teams, so you eventually get way ahead of that.

I suppose that makes sense, after all if all your studios are using one engine then it cuts down time and money spent on training staff when you inevitably start moving them from one studio to another.

However in this scenario I think the transition was done too early. If non of the tools are ready then they should have stuck with UE until the teething problems had been sorted out. This would have been a far more preferable short term pain as opposed to an immediate clusterfuck.

BTA

I can't help but laugh at that second paragraph.

None of it's inaccurate, don't get me wrong, but that point to Metacritic is just... "Everybody Hated This, 7/10" really says a lot, huh.

Kudos to Jason for making sure this story got out there! It always bums me out to see a hyped game get attacked as if the developers "wanted" it to be bad or middling. Really looking forward to reading his book!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I suppose that makes sense, after all if all your studios are using one engine then it cuts down time and money spent on training staff when you inevitably start moving them from one studio to another.

However in this scenario I think the transition was done too early. If non of the tools are ready then they should have stuck with UE until the teething problems had been sorted out. This would have been a far more preferable short term pain as opposed to an immediate clusterfuck.
They had to build a ton back when they started, yes. I imagine it's pretty solid for RPG development by now, or at least much, much closer.

Though Unreal Engine 4 also had large teething problems, which is why we're only recently seeing any games on it, and open worlds for example were one of the biggest issues with it as well.

Unreal Engine 3 was also basically a nightmare for doing stuff like Batman: Arkham Knight, so sticking with that wasn't a great option either.

Nezacant

Great article Jason! Its sad to see an IP like Mass Effect get hit by ambitious ideas with a lack of resources. Man... Frostbite... As impressive as it is for the Battlefield franchise, makes you wonder if they'll stick with it for other genres or just bite the bullet and go back to Unreal Engine.

I really hope ME makes a comeback one day.

maxiell

Great story, Jason.

I don't know how you could have confidence in any EA project after this. It gives me a grudging admiration for how many projects Ubisoft is able to push out the door.

The saddest part to me was at the beginning. They had a very good idea for a prequel story, and they canned it because of polling their audience. That kind of move just shows how bereft creatively this entire project was.

Symbiotx

I'm terribly sorry for all those who worked their asses off for this game. Must be really hard, working your ass off just to get the game in a somewhat presentable shape.

And then having the meme train shit all over it. What a huge bummer.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
There's a lot here that sounds similar to the problems they had in DAII, where the city and surrounding areas were supposed to be much larger in scope and were scaled waaaaaay back to make the release date. Neither that game or ME:A should have seen the light of day on their original release dates.

True Fire

Soooo space adventure games are hard?

I wish we could get more high fantasy games instead of space operas and low fantasy epics all the time.

takriel

And then having the meme train shit all over it. What a huge bummer.
And I took part in it of course. I'm no better than any other troll on the internet. It's really sad. Being a game dev dealing with these hateful posts on a daily basis must be fucking hard.

I want to know more about that Dylan game.

giphy.gif

Sulik2

Awesome reporting Jason! It really just sounds like this game is on EA. When the new studio was struggling this much to make the game it should have just been canceled three years ago. Assigning a new studio and a new engine to Mass Effect was a bad decision in hindsight.

There's a lot here that sounds similar to the problems they had in DAII, where the city and surrounding areas were supposed to be much larger in scope and were scaled waaaaaay back to make the release date. Neither that game or ME:A should have seen the light of day on their original release dates.

I disagree with this slightly, while the release date on DAII was obviously too early, that game was fantastic in everything you care about except the repeat environments. Story, characters, dialogue, combat, graphics all were a step up from Origin. I think Bioware did a pretty good balancing act to get that game out in the time frame required.

Kill3r7

Thx, Jason. Great read. After having read waypoint's Halo article and your Destiny piece it makes you realize that the difference between greatness and disappointment is so small.

I can't help but laugh at that second paragraph.

None of it's inaccurate, don't get me wrong, but that point to Metacritic is just... "Everybody Hated This, 7/10" really says a lot, huh.

It's a relative thing. A 7/10 game in a vacuum is fine, a 7/10 game that's a follow up to a trilogy of 8-9/10 games and releases in the middle of a bunch of 9-10/10 games is pretty fuckin' bad.

LordofPwn

"The bob Dylan of videogames"

so a great idea that will be 100 times better when done by somebody else?

Great article by Jason though, excited for his book to drop. Can I get a review copy Jason? I know you're on here.

Top Bottom