• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Kotaku UK] Paypal Just Did a Mass Chargeback on PSN Transactions

Akai__

He is, coming in here presenting himself as a customer representative and calling people dumbs?

I didn't see you calling him out for that ?
Or do you maybe work with him?

Why not just call them out for that, instead of making such a weird and terrible post?

Gestault

That's better.

Back on topic, I'm glad to hear from the customer service rep that people are being understanding. Which also probably means their script for responding is reassuring. The situation sucks.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Sony needs to tweak how it treats accounts that experience this issue.

Flat out banning them doesn't seem like a great option to me.

I have my PayPal linked to both my PSN and Xbox accounts. But I haven't had a transaction for a while so I assume this'll be fixed by the time I do.

Apath

what is happening lol
I have no clue why Detective chose to respond the way he did, but identifying yourself as a PS customer service representative and then telling misinformed people that they are dumb comes across as unprofessional. Can't say I understand how or why Detective felt that justified his response or his claim that the rep shouldn't work in customer service.

zMiiChy-

Banned
PS UK CS here. We've no idea what caused it, anything else is speculation.

Hundreds of people in a queue on call, but amazingly, everyone is incredibly understanding. Not a single person going off their nut at us, at least not in my experience. Not even asking for compensation.

And to that one person saying that we don't refund digital pre-orders, you're dumb. Call up support. We do. You just need to not have accessed anything relating to it, such as a free pre-order theme or avatar. And its a card refund, not a wallet refund.

BAH GAWD people are so misinformed about how PS Support works.
Were you talking to me?
If so, then I'm sorry, but that solution is not good enough.

If Steam and Microsoft offer a automated refund system, why can't Sony(The current market leader) offer one as well?

Thanks for correcting me, but I still have a fair reason to complain regarding my experience with the service.

And regardless of the reason, calling some one dumb is in fact, rude.
You could have just said 'wrong.'

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
What a colossal failure by Sony. I hope Kotaku and other enthusiast outlets call them out for their shitty policies that are now causing loss of service for thousands of people.

What a colossal failure by Sony. I hope Kotaku and other enthusiast outlets call them out for their shitty policies that are now causing loss of service for thousands of people.
I'm not a fan of a lot of Sony's recent policies, but isn't this standard?

What else could an online storefront do to prevent massive chargebacks?

Alright, so I checked it out.

-Purchased PS+ about 3 weeks ago.
-Purchased Horizon DLC last week.
-Purchased Left Behind today.

Did all of this via PayPal. No banning, nothing amiss as far as I can see (Including on my console).

So what's the deal? Still trying to find the commonalities. It apparently isn't everyone who used PayPal recently, so what is it? Is it regional or are folks in the US seeing this too?

Dineren

Banned
Alright, so I checked it out.

-Purchased PS+ about 3 weeks ago.
-Purchased Horizon DLC last week.
-Purchased Left Behind today.

Did all of this via PayPal. No banning, nothing amiss as far as I can see (Including on my console).

So what's the deal? Still trying to find the commonalities. It apparently isn't everyone who used PayPal recently, so what is it? Is it regional or are folks in the US seeing this too?

Seems to be a UK only issue so far.

Just checked for myself and I'm in the clear. I'm one of the folks that had that stupid missed charges nonsense on PSN last month so I definitely feel for anyone getting stuck in this nonsense right now.

Screw cross-play, why aren't more people harping on Sony for the garbage that is their network? There's so much to fix and yet people are complaining about not being able to play with Xbox gamers.

Jesus Sony, I pay for your Plus subscription and yet we get this kind of nonsense. I'm not even in USA, so I can't just buy a PSN code and it being delivered by email.

Fix your damn network and TOA.

Best wishes.

Detective response was wrong. But let's not act like the other guy post was OK, as a CS representative calling people dumb is not fine and of course someone will be offended.

Plum

Used PayPal as recently as this Tuesday and seem to be in the clear (and yes I'm in the U.K.).

Phew,

Have you checked your Paypal account? Mine puts my relatively recent transaction as "pending" despite it having appeared on my bank statement and, obviously, in my PS4 library.

Uhyve

It's 2017 and people still don't know to just use prepaid code cards for their digital console purchases?

Smh tbh fam.
I've removed paypal from my PSN account now, I only just re-added a payment method last year (after removing it due to the hacking mess). Gotta imagine I'll be doing a lot less spur of the moment
(drunk)
purchases.

Have you checked your Paypal account? Mine puts my relatively recent transaction as "pending" despite it having appeared on my bank statement and, obviously, in my PS4 library.
Yeah, seems you don't get banned until the "pending" charge is cancelled and your money is returned from holding. Money being taken just means that Paypal put the money on "hold", not that Sony received it (I think Paypal may have a 21 day max hold length, so my brothers purchase on the 10th probably won't cause issue until... the day after tomorrow, yayyy.

the210

Personally I think / hope the credit card /payment companies will eventually step in to stop this banning for a charge back nonsense. They need to protect their customers and they have the leverage to do so. The idea that Sony would take away everything you ever bought from them over a dispute is crazy. As a customer I could take the chance on a sony fixing a small claim but I wouldn't trust them with $100+ dispute.

It's 2017 and people still don't know to just use prepaid code cards for their digital console purchases?

Smh tbh fam.

If I was in USA, then yeah because Amazon have that e-mail the code system. We don't have that in Canada and having to go to a store to buy a code, possibly having to overpay ($79.99 means I'd have to get two $50 cards) and then buy the game at home.

Might as well go bloody retail at that point. What do I gain buying digital here, when I still have to go to the store?

Using Paypal meant:

- Could buy a game on the spot.
- Don't have to overpay to fill up the wallet
- Sony don't have direct access to my CC
- Don't get taxed on my game

Sony just keep giving me more reason to not buy digitally. I'd gladly pay taxes if it meant not getting banned.

Best wishes.

Just checked and that one payment on Tuesday is marked as completed.

Syriel

Thought you can't buy games that you got via ps+ unless it lapses.

You can enter codes.

If you enter a code for a game you have on PS Plus it will burn the code but not convert the license.

Do you even know what "this shit" is?

I doubt paypal is getting your Amazon account banned on a regular basis (since you say "every time") with chargeback.

If you purposely did a chargeback against a service for one product that you bought multiple digital products from, you're the criminal and should get your entire account banned.

Doing a chargeback is nowhere near "criminal." It is a normal dispute process.

It is only "criminal" if you think that consumers should have zero rights.

Thing is, when you've literally spent thousands on games through PSN and went all digital this gen, then they fuck you with something like this, it's just not on.

It's bullshit of the highest order.

Especially when they ban you 5mins from CS closing. The fuck?

This thread got good.

Also, looks like my account is fine. Turns out I was mistaken and used paypal on a different service instead. I'll just stick with PSN cards.

Plum

Yeah, seems you don't get banned until the "pending" charge is cancelled and your money is returned from holding. Money being taken just means that Paypal put the money on "hold", not that Sony received it (I think Paypal may have a 21 day max hold length, so my brothers purchase on the 10 probably won't cause issue until... the day after tomorrow, yayyy.

The weird thing is that my more recent purchase has seemingly went through just fine. I'll know in the next few days... and considering this is Sony and Paypal we're talking about here I doubt it'll get fixed in those two days. I really, really don't want to have to get on the phone with Customer Service because of some fuck up.

Just checked and that one payment on Tuesday is marked as completed.

Good stuff!

Davildinho

Neo Member
Would it be too much trouble for them to just put a tweet out stating that their aware of a issue, and are looking into it. Their uk timeline is a lot of folk messaging them worried their accounts been banned.

Gunship

Banned here, my payment for Ex Machina was returned. Thought it was a phishing scam when I saw the Paypal email saying funds had been returned but nope, locked out of all my games. Everything digital on a launch day PS4, all unavailable to me. Thanks, Trump.

Pretty sure MS ban you for chargebacks too. I'm pretty sure most companies would ban you if you did a chargeback because it is a dickish move.

Obviously there are times when you returned the item and your well within your rights to do it.

So not sure why people having a go at Sony for banning people who do chargebacks.

bender

What time is it?
What exactly does a banned account look like on PS4? I'm assuming no new transactions but do you have access to the games installed on your system? Can you re-download games on your account. I can't imagine losing my purchase history.

I'm in the US and use pre-paid cards as you can always find sales that discount them 10-25% off. I guess a nice side benefit is not having to deal with situations like these. Sony's customer service isn't great. My home IP address has been banned from using chat support for years for some odd reason.

Okada

What exactly does a banned account look like on PS4? I'm assuming no new transactions but do you have access to the games installed on your system? Can you re-download games on your account. I can't imagine losing my purchase history.

You have access to your installed games but you can't re-download games as it doesn't let you connect to the Playstation Network.

LordRaptor

What exactly does a banned account look like on PS4?

https://support.us.playstation.com/...e/Information-on-Banned-Accounts-and-Consoles

Friends List
You can: Browse, save, and delete sent or received messages from friends.
You can't: Add friends, chat, revise your blocked users list, or create messages.

PlayStation Network
You can: See what's new in the "What's New" section, browse the online manual, use the Internet browser, download new system updates, and use Remote Play using wireless LAN.
You can't: Connect to the PS Store, manage account information including wallet charges and voucher entry, browse your download list, activate or deactivate your system, browse your trophies, or use Remote Play via the Internet.

Games
You can: Play offline games that don't require any connection to the PlayStation Network.
You can't: Play games that use the PlayStation Network, purchase new DLC, or sync trophies.

Video
You can: View manually added content as well as content that was purchased from the PlayStation Store previous to the system being banned.
You can't: Upload videos or access services that require PlayStation Network sign-in, such as MLB.TV, HULU, Netflix, VUDU, etc.

Music
You can: Listen to manually added content as well as content that was purchased from the PlayStation Store previous to the system being banned. You can also retrieve music CD information.
You can't: Use PlayStation Music, or purchase new music.

Photos
You can: View photos that were on your console previous to the ban.
You can't: Upload photos to services that use the PlayStation Network.

Additional Restrictions
PSone classics save data can be exchanged between PS3/PSP systems but the PSone classic game data itself cannot be moved.
Videos and games bought on PlayStation Store cannot be moved to other devices.

Because unlike some of the "its exactly the same as everywhere else!" people ITT I bothered to check my facts

Been reading about PSN bans and is it true that you can lose all your trophies/purchases? even when reinstated?

I think its just panic and hyperbole from those that have been banned (like myself) but it would honestly suck if that were the case.

im pretty much too worried to turn on my PS4 and try anything at the moment.

OmegaFax

Suggestion: Until it's sorted out, I'd make sure your accounts are set to primary on your system and disconnect them from the internet. Licenses can't be revoked if there's no way to communicate it to your system.

Top Bottom